PDA

View Full Version : consumption of fish from the NSR.

Pontoon Johnny
07-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I have only ever CNR'd the NSR.

I hear some people eat the fish.

Where can i find info on consumption advisories, and such for a certain water.

nervermind i found it..............do any of you eat the fish from the NSR?

good fishin' all

Johnny

Don Meredith
07-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Check your 2007 Sportfishing Regulations, page 21. The NSR has an advisory with regard to mercury.

-NDN-
07-15-2007, 11:58 PM
I hear some people eat the fish.

.do any of you eat the fish from the NSR?

NO :sick:

Pontoon Johnny
07-16-2007, 01:54 AM
NO NO....

oh did I mention...

NO!!!!!!!

wildman
07-16-2007, 08:17 AM
i've seen many people keeping fish out of there over the years...
even goldeyes and suckers!!!:sick: :sick:
personally, i'd say you're NUTS to do it...
another thought;
the REGS. do give a list of waters that test high for mercury levels BUT they do no lists for OTHER contaminations!!!
i.e. wabamun lake is NOT listed because the issue there is NOT MERCURY!!!
i think people should use some common sense and caution when it comes to this topic...could be dangerous!!!!!

Reeves1
07-17-2007, 07:06 AM
But think how good for the environment it would be to eat them !
You wouldn't have to buy batteries for a flash light, you'd glow like a Firefly ! Not putting batteries in the dump is a good thing !

:D

Redfrog
07-17-2007, 09:01 AM
What is the concern? I've never fished the NSR, but I've seen people keep fish from some pretty nasty places and eat them. Detroit river, comes to mind.

Other than some people that ate mercury contaminated fish 3 meals a day forever, or shellfish I've never heard of anyone having health issues from eating fish.

wake
07-17-2007, 11:20 AM
First of all I am not gonna rush out and tell you folks to run out and eat fish from the NSR and I personally am NOT A EXPERT,but...My best friend works as a Fishieries biologist and has done studies on fish from various water bodies and the NSR,SSR,RDR,ABR etc.Mercury is present in fish from these waters,it is also present in fish from various other lakes,Lac st anne,lesser slave,etc.Infact mercury is present in fish from virtually all water bodies in N.america since it happens to be naturally occuring in most lakes,rivers,streams and even oceans.He pointed out about 4 years ago how the news headlines talked about Tuna,Swordfish,Mahi mahi and most other palaegic ocean fish having mercury contamination in levels were guidelines were suggested for eating of these fish.He said with the levels of mercury shown in Almost all fish he has studied a person would have to eat 8oz per day for roughly a year before the level would even show in the human body,because the human body has the ability to break down mercury.Dioxins and furans found near swanhills and other pulp mills on the other hand are much more dangerous and fish should not even be considered for eating in these regions.I personally do catch and release from the NSR,but a recent trip to slave made me wonder as I swallowed some walleye fillets.Food for thought for everyone here....

Bushrat
07-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Its an animal rights save the fish scare tactic,:lol: id eat em and have, more scared of whats in the packages of mystery food from grocery store. Indians been eating them out of those rivers for centuries, and the mercury been in the river since foreaver, mostly its natural pollution..

wildman
07-17-2007, 04:16 PM
are you guys NUTS!?!?!?!?!
have you ever SMELT that river?!?!?!
puke-ahontis!!!!!
but i guess you have a point... probably still more healthy than arby's or macd's!!!:sick: :sick: :cry:

Pontoon Johnny
07-17-2007, 11:05 PM
But that NSR still has some big fish.

good fishin all

Johnny

-NDN-
07-18-2007, 04:56 AM
are you guys NUTS!?!?!?!?!
have you ever SMELT that river?!?!?!
puke-ahontis!!!!!
but i guess you have a point... probably still more healthy than arby's or macd's!!!:sick: :sick: :cry:

HaHa, i dont even think Mac D's has meat in their burgers. i heard that "100% All Beef" saying they have all the time is actually a name of a company that makes their patties.:p

Walleyes
07-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Kind of getting off topic here but about 9 -10 years ago a young farm boy from Man worked for me on the rigs.. His dad was a horse farmer they raised and sold 2 - 3 hundred head of horses a year and their biggest customer well actually they were on contract with you guest it McDonalds Restaurants.. Not saying anything here but just stating what I was told...

clarki
07-18-2007, 11:10 AM
i've heard that '100% PURE BEEF" thing too and i think what they can do is claim that the beef in the patty is 100% beef but that the whole patty is not all beef. dang tasty though lol

M

wildman
07-18-2007, 11:25 AM
hooves, snout, leather, and guts are all beef!!!!!

-NDN-
07-18-2007, 01:30 PM
dont forget about the feathers in the ice cream:evilgrin:

wake
07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
^There is actually a cargo flight from Edmonton to Osaka,Japan everyweek hauling live horses to Japan for meat.Apparently very lean meat,although I am not about to try it.The horses get the royal treatment for a year,being fed well and even get a daily massage to ''marble'' the meat from what I have been told before being sent to slaughter.

CNP
07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Since the thread has already been hijacked, I'll add that I've eaten horse a few times. The first time I didn't know it was horse.......and it was good. I ordered it several times after that. This was in Guayaquil, Ecuador.