PDA

View Full Version : Cheap windows?

Ormachek
11-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey all, I might be selling my house and moving up to edmonton for work in the next few months but I'd like to put new windows in before I try to sell.

I'm not looking for anything super-fancy, just cheap basic windows to replace the fogged up 1977 windows I've got right now.

In all your experiences, where have you found the cheapest windows in the calgary area (I am going to be installing them myself).

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Clgy_Dave2.0
11-25-2009, 08:01 PM
first have a look through the Gienow window factory "rejects". They have a full warehouse full of windows that were custom ordered and for whatever reason, not used/returned. I got this $1500 window for $450. Only downside is you might have to adjust your opening size to fit whatever window(s) they have there. But there are TONS to choose from. Other than that, Totem & Home Depot have cheap windows.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/House%20for%20sale/IMG_2262.jpg

Freedom55
11-26-2009, 04:01 AM
Tim's Reusables, off Edmonton Trail about 30 Ave had a large selection of new windows last time I was there.

Grizzly Adams
11-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Problem with all of the above is that you're not likely to find a window to fit the existing hole. Changing that can turn into a major job and be tough to blend into the exterior. I Use Jeld Wen windows, through Home Hardware. Good quality, at a reasonable cost. Now, where's our new member, Greg Martineau? Probably flying around in his helicopter, so I don't think you'll find any cheap windows there.:lol: Nice foam job, Dave.:lol: You've got to be careful with that stuff, or you may bow the frame and it can be tough to clean up, as well.

Grizz

Scotty P.
11-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Problem with all of the above is that you're not likely to find a window to fit the existing hole. Changing that can turn into a major job and be tough to blend into the exterior. I Use Jeld Wen windows, through Home Hardware. Good quality, at a reasonable cost. Now, where's our new member, Greg Martineau? Probably flying around in his helicopter, so I don't think you'll find any cheap windows there.:lol: Nice foam job, Dave.:lol: You've got to be careful with that stuff, or you may bow the frame and it can be tough to clean up, as well.

Grizz

Hey Don't knock Greg's helicopter! He can get me into alot of "hard to get to" fishin' hole's. lol:

Clgy_Dave2.0
11-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Problem with all of the above is that you're not likely to find a window to fit the existing hole. Changing that can turn into a major job and be tough to blend into the exterior. .....Nice foam job, Dave.:lol: You've got to be careful with that stuff, or you may bow the frame and it can be tough to clean up, as well.

Grizz

True. Worth a look though. I found windows that only needed an extra layer of 3/4" plywood in my RO.
Yes, the foam nozzle got stuck in a couple of places lol. Was funny to watch my little guy run away from the "expanding monster". I always use "door and window" foam..little less force. And yeah, is that stuff ever tough to clean off. Once its dry, a new olfa blade trims it nice and flush with the frame though.

Goater
11-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Gienow NO

Clgy_Dave2.0
11-26-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm not looking for anything super-fancy, just cheap basic windows to replace the fogged up 1977 windows ........ where have you found the cheapest windows in the calgary area ......
Steve

Gienow NO

Why not Gienow?

big zeke
11-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Go see Fred at Lumber King. The shop isn't much (looks like an abandoned building) but by far the best prices and a very knowedgeable guy. I ordered Jeld-Wen thru him and saved about 30% off Home Depot etc.

Custom windows will probably take a few weeks (maybe 6) to come in so I'd assume you'll be doing this on some cold winter day:cry:

There is a minimally expanding foam that you're supposed to use in these types of installs...using the regular suff will bend the frames all over the place. Cleanup is easy if you mask around the frame when you foam, keep in mind the edges of the frame are covered with casing anyways.

Zeke

Geezle
11-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Gienow NO

Gienow wouldn't be a bad way to go since he's planning on moving out of the house anyway.

That being said, I probably wouldn't put them in my own home...I work in new home construction, and there are definitely better quality windows out there, but I'm not sure what kinds of prices they go for.

Clgy_Dave2.0
11-26-2009, 06:34 PM
There is a minimally expanding foam that you're supposed to use in these types of installs...using the regular suff will bend the frames all over the place.
Zeke

I always use "door and window" foam..little less force.

http://greatstuff.dow.com/images/wd.jpg

Grizzly Adams
11-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Gienow wouldn't be a bad way to go since he's planning on moving out of the house anyway.

That being said, I probably wouldn't put them in my own home...I work in new home construction, and there are definitely better quality windows out there, but I'm not sure what kinds of prices they go for.

Doesn't matter how good they are, I always say, a window is basically a hole in the wall.:lol:
Grizz

Ormachek
11-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys!!! Your right Zeke, it's gonna be some chilly work. hopefully during a chinook so its not so cold (And hopefully when the wife's not home!)

lyallpeder
11-27-2009, 10:10 PM
habitat for humanity re store new and used 1/2 price