PDA

View Full Version : Wolve's take another Whitetail !!

kingjames30-378
11-25-2009, 05:55 PM
A Friend of Mine who Work's Down the Chinchaga Forestry Road sent me These Pictures of a Whitetail That was killed by 4 Wolve's on Monday.
As he Drove on the Lease the Wolves Ran. The Deer was Still warm.
The Front Quarters and Head was all That was Left.
There was a Area About 30 feet Around That was Packed Down and
Covered in Blood.
he got a permit from fish and wildlife, but hasnt put a tape on it yet...

BrownBear416
11-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Wow what a great buck....

Thx for sharing....

170 gross give or take a few inch's either way imo...

High 160 for sure...

IR_mike
11-25-2009, 06:04 PM
They beat me by 15-20" easily:lol::lol:

AxeMan
11-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Geez, those wolves might make the 900 club after all...:D

hal53
11-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow what a great buck....

Thx for sharing....

170 gross give or take a few inch's either way imo...

High 160 for sure...
Aren't u in Wainwright????

pdfish
11-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Geez, those wolves might make the 900 club after all...:D

LMAO :lol::lol::lol:

Rockymtnx
11-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Wow thats a great find.

BigRackLover
11-26-2009, 12:12 AM
LMAO :lol::lol::lol:

me too.

lucky_magic_stick
11-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Wow talk about a bonus nice buck thanks for post.Cheers Andy

gramps73
11-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Thats a shame sure a nice looking deer...

redneck posse
11-26-2009, 04:48 PM
someone need to teach these wolves to only eat 130 class bucks or less and to leave the bigger bucks for me..:lol::lol::lol:

Rockymtnx
11-26-2009, 05:45 PM
kingjames30-378 you will have to let us know a score if you hear of it.

Tuc
11-26-2009, 05:49 PM
That ole boy has been around for awhile.
Prime example of wolves doing their job of weeding out the old and the sick.

Nice rack, hope he had a chance to rut with some doe's.

fish-man
11-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Is that blood on the antlers? Maybe the deer put up a good fight before getting taken down.

pickrel pat
11-26-2009, 07:15 PM

wolves will take down any animal, old sick, young, or prime. once they get on a fresh track, there is no escape. they have the nose and stamina to run anything to the ground. i lived in manning 36 years and seen alot of wolf kills. there was no prejiduce on what they took down. animals of varying age and health.

pickrel pat
11-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Is that blood on the antlers? Maybe the deer put up a good fight before getting taken down.

doubt it. they prolly ran that buck till it had no gas left in the tank and easily pulled him down.

Grizzly Adams
11-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Wonder how he broke that front leg? Can't see the wolves doing that. Maybe someone wounded him, or he was hit by a vehicle.
Grizz

woods_walker
11-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I work in the bush and regularly come across wolf kills. They will take anything they can. I have found does, fawns, big bucks, spikers, and many inbetween. I am always amazed at how clean the can leave a kill site.Just last week I almost got a chance at a couple of wolves cleaning up a small doe. They cleaned her up pretty good.

Rocks
11-26-2009, 10:06 PM

What Pickrel Pat said - and that buck was not old he was in his prime and at least a 180 buck. Maybe sick yes...

Wolves will kill any animal, not just the sick and old, thats a fallacy the anti's use against hunters...

Redfrog
11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Wonder how he broke that front leg? Can't see the wolves doing that. Maybe someone wounded him, or he was hit by a vehicle.
Grizz

I'm thinking he didn't break the leg. I think the wolves killed him and just fed up to the neck.

hayseed
11-26-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm thinking he didn't break the leg. I think the wolves killed him and just fed up to the neck.

I agree, fed from the back door to the front, nice buck for sure, would have been nice to whack a wolf though too....

Tuc
11-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Wolves will kill any animal, not just the sick and old, thats a fallacy the anti's use against hunters...

I agree, they will kill anything to survive. I guess I should have elaborated a bit further, it will be the sick and old to go down first.

uglyelk
11-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Wolves eat on average 9 pounds of meat per day. With 4200 wolves in Alberta that's a heck of a lot of meat. 13.8 million pounds, and that's without factoring in what they loose to other scavengers. Wolves may take down 18 to 20 million pounds of prey each year in this province. Too many wolves is a big problem!

Ran into this one today, he doesn't look under fed.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x301/uglyelk/critters/DSC_2821.jpg

A buddy saw him a couple of days ago testing a herd of 8 bull elk. He was back in the same area today; I suspect there will be less big bulls on the 1A this spring for the tourists to rubber neck at.

wheeler
11-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Wolves eat on average 9 pounds of meat per day. With 4200 wolves in Alberta that's a heck of a lot of meat. 13.8 million pounds, and that's without factoring in what they loose to other scavengers. Wolves may take down 18 to 20 million pounds of prey each year in this province. Too many wolves is a big problem!

Ran into this one today, he doesn't look under fed.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x301/uglyelk/critters/DSC_2821.jpg

A buddy saw him a couple of days ago testing a herd of 8 bull elk. He was back in the same area today; I suspect there will be less big bulls on the 1A this spring for the tourists to rubber neck at.

That is a beautiful wolf you have a picture of.

I personally don't believe there are too many wolves in Alberta and believe it's shame people are still shooting them. If you consider the amount of deer and game for them to feed on, I mean there is lots. So for a hunter to get mad thinking a wolf killed a deer............ oh wow, so what... they need to eat and there is LOTS of deer in Alberta ( hence why you can buy extra doe tags ) so I really think it's a shame! I know if I saw someone raising a gun at an innocent wolf, I might be doing some shooting of my own! They have almost been wipped out and NEED to recover!

TBark
11-27-2009, 09:47 PM
I'll shoot every wolf I see if the'll give me a change for a shot.
Haven't seen a moose on any of my trail cams in my area since the summer. I have wolves on every second camera.

TBark

wheeler
11-27-2009, 09:54 PM
I'll shoot every wolf I see if the'll give me a change for a shot.
Haven't seen a moose on any of my trail cams in my area since the summer. I have wolves on every second camera.

TBark

and where do you have cams set up?? I see you live in the fort.

uglyelk
11-28-2009, 02:01 AM
I know if I saw someone raising a gun at an innocent wolf, I might be doing some shooting of my own.

Year we go again , is the wolf vigilanti threating to shoot people?:huh::huh::huh:

uglyelk
11-28-2009, 02:09 AM
I agree he's one healthy dog! They are interesting critters.

I They have almost been wipped out and NEED to recover!

That's just....wrong! Wolves are doing fine in AB and BC. Lets get something straight, lemmings do not run off of cliffs, and wolves are in no danger of extinction.:tongue2:

These days the line between science and advocacy has been blurred making much of the data suspect.

Bushrat
11-28-2009, 09:02 AM
I agree, they will kill anything to survive. I guess I should have elaborated a bit further, it will be the sick and old to go down first.

No, whatever is handy goes down first. The sick and the old thing is a bit of a wives tale. Mostly they like the tender and young easy to get stupid ones. Say there is an old sick cow moose and a healthy calf, they will take the calf every time if they can.

Wheeler, Wolves have recovered to the point they are oversaturated in the areas where there is room for them to roam. They are now overflowing out of the mountains, foothills and boreal forests and into the prairies. If we don't shoot/trap and otherwise control their nimbers they will soon be in urban areas just like the coyotes are. I really don't think we need them hanging out in municipal parks and behind elementary schools etc.

ghglenn
11-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Some interesting info here

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/archives/outdoor-pursuits-aug-09.html .

pickrel pat
11-28-2009, 11:14 AM

I personally don't believe there are too many wolves in Alberta and believe it's shame people are still shooting them. If you consider the amount of deer and game for them to feed on, I mean there is lots. So for a hunter to get mad thinking a wolf killed a deer............ oh wow, so what... they need to eat and there is LOTS of deer in Alberta ( hence why you can buy extra doe tags ) so I really think it's a shame! I know if I saw someone raising a gun at an innocent wolf, I might be doing some shooting of my own! They have almost been wipped out and NEED to recover!i agree, not about the shooting at you part of course, but ya, i agree. sexy animal to be sure! and ya if there was to many wolves mother nature has a way of balancing things out.(rabbits and grouse for example). so relax and enjoy natures beauty at its finest. peace out all.

sheepguide
11-28-2009, 11:32 AM
i agree, not about the shooting at you part of course, but ya, i agree. sexy animal to be sure! and ya if there was to many wolves mother nature has a way of balancing things out.(rabbits and grouse for example). so relax and enjoy natures beauty at its finest. peace out all.

So do you know how mother nature balances out predators? The predators lower the populations of deer, elk, etc. to the point that there is not enough to sustain the wolves so they slowly start dieing from starvation and disease. Just like the rabbits and grouse you mention. Their populations flurish then the coyotes, lynx and other animals start to flurish to the point that they lower the grouse and rabbits to the point of you not hardly seeing any. And the cycle continues. Seems to me it would be better to keep ALL poulations in check than have all the ups and downs that comes with natural control.
JMO SG

pickrel pat
11-28-2009, 01:05 PM
So do you know how mother nature balances out predators? The predators lower the populations of deer, elk, etc. to the point that there is not enough to sustain the wolves so they slowly start dieing from starvation and disease. Just like the rabbits and grouse you mention. Their populations flurish then the coyotes, lynx and other animals start to flurish to the point that they lower the grouse and rabbits to the point of you not hardly seeing any. And the cycle continues. Seems to me it would be better to keep ALL poulations in check than have all the ups and downs that comes with natural control.
JMO SGimmpossible! who will keep humans " in check " when we are " to many " ? just the way things are buddy. mother natures disease, plauge, epidemic will take its course. do you care to disagree? can you disagree? hhhmmmmm.

pickrel pat
11-28-2009, 01:07 PM
not tryin to start nothin, just the way things are. ( since 5 gagillion years.)

pickrel pat
11-28-2009, 01:11 PM
another thing. im not about doom and gloom, but, im pretty sure that there will be less peaple on earth then there is now in the near future. over population has a way of evening things out! care to disagree again? please explain in depth.

sheepguide
11-28-2009, 01:20 PM
immpossible! who will keep humans " in check " when we are " to many " ? just the way things are buddy. mother natures disease, plauge, epidemic will take its course. do you care to disagree? can you disagree? hhhmmmmm.

Humans are probably "to many" now and over populated so im thinking we should start hunting a few of them. We could start with the weak and the stupid.LOL

But as the wolves go for someone that talks like you know about them, you dont seem to understand their numbers in western Canada.

And you ask if I care to "DISAGREE"... well you obviously dont read many of my posts:lol: Hunting and trapping IS needed to keep wolf populations in check just as hunting is needed in our deer populations. Sure eventually nature will control populations but not always b4 its to late. Maybe next time she controls the wolf ppulation maybe they will not come back! Maybe b4 she controls the deer populations people you or I know will be killed from hitting one in a vehicle.
If you DISAGREE with this then you really dont understand our wildlife and outdoors.
SG

pickrel pat
11-28-2009, 01:54 PM
but i DO understand. i lived in manning ab for 36 years. i hunt trap and fish. i know wolves. i love the fact that when wolf populations are high, ungulate pops are down. and vice versa. makes my outings more interesting by far. and i love the fact that there are not so many moose that i can drive around any corner and shoot my moose! makes hunting a lil more challenging. and thus more enjoyable should someone bag there intended quarry. i love fluctuating populations of species. would not be enjoyable to me if there was a moose around every corner. and yes, i am blessed with living in northwestern alberta for 36 years.

uglyelk
11-28-2009, 02:38 PM
http://www.wolfsongalaska.org/wolves_canada_alberta.htm

conclusion they are doing fine!

uglyelk
11-28-2009, 02:41 PM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta/2009/08/31/10683966-sun.html

IR_mike
11-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Interesting read uglyelk, thanks for posting.

matt1984
11-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I know if I saw someone raising a gun at an innocent wolf, I might be doing some shooting of my own! They have almost been wipped out and NEED to recover!

I think you're on the wrong forum bud. Threatening to shoot people for hunting a legal species?? Join PETA you seem the type

nube
11-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Nice buck. I would say he is close to 180. A lot like the buck I shot this year!

Rockymtnx
11-29-2009, 01:01 AM
A lot like the buck I shot this year!

Wheres the pics and story Nube? You just can't leave us hanging like that!

BrownBear416
11-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Wheres the pics and story Nube? You just can't leave us hanging like that!

x2 Dont be cruel :wave:

nube
11-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I did good this year. killed a big speed goat and a couple pig deer. I am really trying to stay on the downlow lately. some guys tend to get my blood boiling and I don't need it. If you want pictures I will e-mail them to you if you PM me your e-mail address.

Duramax01
12-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Yup, can't wait till Jan. Me and a couple of buds are going to do a weekend trip to try and snag some of those evening yowlers. Nothing like hearing the songs they sing, but there are enough wolves running around that a few won't be missed.