PDA

View Full Version : New Jiffy Augers

BigBuck$
11-26-2009, 02:26 PM
I picked up a new Jiffy 3 HP Stealth STX 10-in. Auger at Crappy Tire last night. When I got it home I took it out of the box to find they have made some big changes from last year. The motor is no longer the old Techumsee (spelling :confused:) and the gear case appears to be plastic rather than cast aluminium like the old ones.

I'm a little concerned that they have set cheaped out on the new models. I know it's probably too early to ask but has anyone tried one of the new ones out? I think I might take mine back and look for a last years model....:mad:

ragweed
11-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Tecumesh (sp) closed it doors on small motor production last year.

madatter
11-26-2009, 08:07 PM
I looked at the new Jiffy's several times now at Wholesale Sports and like you think they look a little on the cheap and fragile side .
My old Jiffy 30 is close to 15 years old and has never given me pain,I'd like to say I treat it with kiddy gloves but I don't.

BigBuck$
11-26-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure what to do. I registered the auger online at www.jiffyonice.com tonight. They claim the new motor is better and more powerful than last years. There is a whole section on what's new for 09'.

I just have a hard time believing it. I know of several old Jiffy's that are 10 - 15 years old and have drilled 1000's of holes. I'll probably keep the one I bought but I won't be convinced until the 2020 fishing season that I made the right decision.

They have a 1 2 3 warranty out, 1 year on the motor, 2 years on the drive head, and 3 years on the blades. If it's such a hot little motor you would think a 2 - 3 year warranty shouldn't be a problem.

For $599.99 it had better last a few years or I will not be very happy.

Wes_G
11-26-2009, 08:49 PM
3 years on the blades!!!? thats a pretty rediculious claim. warrantying against what? You hit a patch of sand in the ice or a rock and that blades toast.

deanmc
11-26-2009, 08:55 PM
3 years on the blades!!!? thats a pretty rediculious claim. warrantying against what? You hit a patch of sand in the ice or a rock and that blades toast.

I am sure they dont warranty them to work for sand and rocks.:lol:

What kind of motor are they using now?

Husky Jerk
11-26-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that auger is $499 at bass pro.

deanmc
11-27-2009, 05:17 AM
What kind of motor are they using now?

I see it is one of there own.:scared: I have a model 30 that is three years old (original blades). The Tecumseh engine is definitely not anything to brag about.

Sure 10 years ago they made a motor that ran well but if you talk to many guys with newer jiffy augers I think you will find as I have very few of them run well. Mine cuts holes but not nearly as fast as my pop-in-laws old one. I am an ex small engine guy and in my opinion the carburator is junk on those newer Tecumseh powered models. I am very interested in how your new auger performs. please keep us informed.:wave:

huntinggr81
11-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I see it is one of there own.:scared: I have a model 30 that is three years old (original blades). The Tecumseh engine is definitely not anything to brag about.

Sure 10 years ago they made a motor that ran well but if you talk to many guys with newer jiffy augers I think you will find as I have very few of them run well. Mine cuts holes but not nearly as fast as my pop-in-laws old one. I am an ex small engine guy and in my opinion the carburator is junk on those newer Tecumseh powered models. I am very interested in how your new auger performs. please keep us informed.:wave:

I agree the carbs are junk. I bought my 10 inch in 2000, and have got a soild eight years of use out of it with an estimated # of holes drilled 800+. There is no way to tune the carb (such as hi/lo needle). It took me awhile to figure out the sweet spot on mine. It also takes about 2-3 holes before it is running its best. I run mine with the choke in th 1/2 way position 90% of the time & pump the primer several times on the first couple holes until warmed up. Once it warms up it drills pretty quick for a 10 inch auger & it has lots of power. It has been very reliable to this point in time.

BigBuck$
11-27-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that auger is $499 at bass pro.

Yup, but I had over $400 in Canadian Tire Money & gift cards so I figured why not.

deanmc
11-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Yup, but I had over $400 in Canadian Tire Money & gift cards so I figured why not.

Makes perfect sense to me.:wave:

Cal
11-28-2009, 09:33 AM
I remember when eskimo switched from tecumsi, the new viper motor was supposed to have more power less emissions etc etc... Yeah right, mine is the biggest POS ever, how much power do we need anyways? All the power in the world does you no good when the damn thing wont work properly. As well whenever I need a part I have the option of ordering it from either the states or Winipeg and it takes almost a month to get here, thats nearly a quarter of the ice fishing season I am waiting for parts should it break down. The tecumsi motor may not be anything to brag about but for the most part it did the trick and other than paying a grand for a husky or sthil it was the best option. WHen I heard jiffy was switching I went out and bought one on the spot, hopefully someone figures out their new motors by the time tecumsi parts get hard to find. I wish they would start using honda's.

BigBuck$
11-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I totally agree with you Cal on the Viper motors. I had an Eskimo Auger for the last two years and had nothing but grief with it. I was fishing with a friend of mine and his son in the early spring of last year and couldn't get the stupid thing to run propperly. I had trouble with it starting all season long, I tried new plugs, played with the carb etc. Finally I had enough and just threw it on the ice and walked away He picked it up and it started on the first pull:mad2:. He then pulled $100 out of his wallet and bought the auger on the spot. Thats just how the motor was for me, tempermental POS which doesn't go far with me. I'm not sure if he got it running propperly or not but I was glad to see it go.

I think those Husquvarna augers might be the ticket. I have two of their chain saw and they start second pull every time.

wall tent
11-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a old 1993 3.5 hp 10" jiffy that has about 1000 holes on her.She runs great but it is maybe about time i do some maintenance what do you use in the gear box for lube. other than a new blade and spark plug what else shoud i be looking at doing to it before i go out.

Rockymtnx
11-28-2009, 06:09 PM

Warranty doesn't usually cover mis-use, wear, or stupidity.
Warranty is usually related directly to manufatures defects. Last time I checked wear and mis-use wasn't a defect.

Jims71duster
11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
I remember when eskimo switched from tecumsi, the new viper motor was supposed to have more power less emissions etc etc... Yeah right, mine is the biggest POS ever, how much power do we need anyways? All the power in the world does you no good when the damn thing wont work properly. As well whenever I need a part I have the option of ordering it from either the states or Winipeg and it takes almost a month to get here, thats nearly a quarter of the ice fishing season I am waiting for parts should it break down. The tecumsi motor may not be anything to brag about but for the most part it did the trick and other than paying a grand for a husky or sthil it was the best option. WHen I heard jiffy was switching I went out and bought one on the spot, hopefully someone figures out their new motors by the time tecumsi parts get hard to find. I wish they would start using honda's.

I don't think the parts will be hard to find,,they are made by Briggs and Briggs as well as any motor company knows where the money is,,,,PARTS

albertadeer
12-27-2009, 08:11 PM
I just bought one today, Not to impressed. took alot of priming and pulling to get going. But its like the older ones, once it gets warmed up it goes pretty good. and i think the motor has a little more power. Im still satisfied but not impressed...alot lighter then the older ones.

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-27-2009, 08:34 PM
i just got a eskimo stingray with the viper motor on it the 33cc one the guy told the old lady when she picked it up for my christmas present last week it was there top seller adn havnt had any come back. its the 8" model humm its still brand new in the box humm

bushnell
12-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Took my model 30-08 out today for the first time. I did not have an problems starting or running it. I have tried most other brands of augers and yes some run better than others. But no matter what brand you buy there are always some lemons out there.Time will tell whether or not these new engines are better than the old.

ULTRAlite
12-27-2009, 08:51 PM

Bought a Jiff last year - only complaint is with the so called "quick connect" Not really flawed, just could have been better.

The card I received in the box stated that I could get a free sharpening or blade replacement within 3 years. A friend hit the bottom with it and screwed one of the blades on our last trip out. They replaced the blades no questions. Now I'm the only one who uses it http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/winking/winking0001.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-fighting-smileys.php)

albertadeer
12-28-2009, 07:53 PM
I just bought a brand new 10" jiffy. Is a pain to start and has a strange whine in the gear box. i e-mailed them and they said it would lessen with use....but it really is a oain to get going...does anyone else have troubles?

SDKiller
12-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Just my two sence here, today I finally bought the 34-10" STX at Can. Tire as well. $599 was the price on the box, however like the cheap or (frugal as I like to call it) ol bugger I am I made sure to shop around. Bass pro shop reg. price is indeed $499 but out of stoke and had a great boxing day sale which I could not get to for $365 ish I hear, while Wholesale sports is at $559 with no boxing day sale price and The Fishing hole is at $549 and had a boxing day sale price at $499. I bought my auger at Can Tire simply out of spite as niether Wholesale sports or Fishing hole would move on the regular price the day after boxing day. While Can. Tire not only price matched the $549 but beat it by 10 bucks. I as well dont know how the new Jiffy will work out but I am hoping for the best. Good luck to all who bought it and please put updates on how the machine is working out.

Freedom55
12-29-2009, 06:15 AM
i just got a eskimo stingray with the viper motor on it the 33cc one the guy told the old lady when she picked it up for my christmas present last week it was there top seller adn havnt had any come back. its the 8" model humm its still brand new in the box humm

I've got the same drill, purchased at Costco 2 1/2 yrs. ago for $250.00 and it starts and runs great. Little 1.5 hp motor has not let me down yet. Hauled it out a week or two ago and away it went but I have to prime it until the gas runs out the bottom of the float bowl. Premium gas at 50:1 and always stored up-right in a milk crate. Found oil with it once. Well, at least, shale!!

CeeZee
01-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Ya a guy never knows uless he tries, I am a firm believer in the older jiffy's, being from manitoba the ice gets to be 4 feet plus in the season and seen them punch through all that ice, hole after hole with no troubles, ride on a truck throuhg bush roads, rough and bumpy, or in the ski-doo sleigh all covered in snow, bang it on the sleigh, knock the snow off, prime it 2 or 3 times and away it goes.
I have an older eskimo with the techumseh and it too is very very reliable, it turns slower but i would rather spend a few extra seconds on each hole then pulling a fricking rope and fiddling with plugs or set screws when its 30 below! cuz we all know, if its that cold no point in doing anything outdoors, so sit in the shack, throw another log in the stove and day dream.
Oldies but goodies in my books.

shayne
01-03-2010, 10:55 AM
I have the new Jiffy 76 model, cheapest one they make and got it for Christmas from the wife. I too was a little hesitant about this drill so have put it to the test. I've tried a couple different oils and find the Stihl oil to run the best. I have froze it outside in -25 overnight and although not an easy start, it does start with about 5 pulls. I have also fished my @ss off the past week with over 100 holes and this machine seems to work fine. The whining from the gear box has improved with use, the E-Z connect system is overrated with a pin attached to a plastic sleeve with too much play that I find sloppy and could cause some future problems with the gear box.

Overall I get what I pay for (or my wife pays for) and I'm too cheap to buy a Husky until I have more time to ice fish so if I can get 3 to 5 years out of the Jiffy, which I think I will, I'm good.

Shmag
01-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Knock on wood...i have owned 2 jiffy's now and have never had a problem with either one. New spark plug and a fresh set of blades every now and then is all i have ever needed.

First one (2hp) went halfer's with a buddy and punched a ton of holes with it for 5yrs. My buddy drowned in an accident so i packed it away and will give it to his son when he gets old enough. It sat since 98 ever couple yrs i pull it out and run it, still runs like a top. Fill the cylinder with oil and pack it away again.

Second one another 2hp (white lightning) again it's been just awesome.

In my experience, its the 3hp that always seem to run like crap. I can usually have a dozen holes drilled and almost be fishing before my buddies get their 3hp running and they don't sound good. Mine is alot lighter to carry and i punch alot of holes, i really don't know why people opt for the 3hp. Sure they will drill a hole faster when they are running, but they are so mad by time it starts, especially when i am laughing at them.:lol:

600twin
01-04-2010, 06:48 AM
I have the 3hp Jiffy 8" and out of the box it ran like crap. The high and low speed mixtures were off by at least 2 full turns it was running way to rich. Only took a few mins to set it up properly but i can see it being a problem for anyone who is not mechanicly inclined to get these things running. I have also found it best to remove your thumb totally from the primer button each time you press it , mine starts with 5 primes full choke then if it coughs i hit the throttle and it usually starts within 2 or 3 or 10 pulls then i go to half choke for a minute and work the throttle to warm it up.

dodger
01-04-2010, 11:54 AM
If my 3 h.p. Jiffy doesn't start on the 2nd pull then I am into it for another 15 pulls. Usually I will have to then hurl it as far as possible then go and hurl it back to where I plan on drilling. Then 2.75 stomps on the motor, then turn off the choke and give it full throttle. Then she usually fires right up. Maybe out of fear because it knows she's going to end up swimming with the fishies.

Dodger.

ULTRAlite
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
If my 3 h.p. Jiffy doesn't start on the 2nd pull then I am into it for another 15 pulls. Usually I will have to then hurl it as far as possible then go and hurl it back to where I plan on drilling. Then 2.75 stomps on the motor, then turn off the choke and give it full throttle. Then she usually fires right up. Maybe out of fear because it knows she's going to end up swimming with the fishies.

Dodger.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: LOVE IT! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

TangoKilo
01-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Ok, so we have figured out that the newer augers are simply not as good as the older ones.
That begs the question, what auger would you buy today to last you the next 15 years?

Are husky and sthil the only good quality augers anymore?

camshaft
01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
...an icegator

HILLYBILLYBARRY
01-04-2010, 06:45 PM
I've got the same drill, purchased at Costco 2 1/2 yrs. ago for $250.00 and it starts and runs great. Little 1.5 hp motor has not let me down yet. Hauled it out a week or two ago and away it went but I have to prime it until the gas runs out the bottom of the float bowl. Premium gas at 50:1 and always stored up-right in a milk crate. Found oil with it once. Well, at least, shale!!

yep sat all week primed it 4 times and pulled it once not even full pull and vurmmm it was running its sure purrs nice

Dougie55
01-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Hope you are right Camshaft...Waiting for mine to get here....:cry:

Shmag
01-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Ok, so we have figured out that the newer augers are simply not as good as the older ones.
That begs the question, what auger would you buy today to last you the next 15 years?

Are husky and sthil the only good quality augers anymore?

I would go with yet another 2hp jiffy.

On another note that was hear say...is that where the augers are manufactured is different elevation than we are here, so in most cases the carb setting should be different here than what they are factory set. I have heard of people taking their augers in to a small motor repair for set up from new and were happy with this. Not sure...i have never had to touch the settings on my 2hp...something to think about

needmoretoys
01-04-2010, 08:34 PM
I have had my model 30 for about 15 years now and it runs like a top. I just prime it and never tough the choke. I run the opti 2 in it and have never had to touch the plug yet. I did notice the plug gap was to close at first, so I opened it a couple thou. Had it out last year at -44 C and never had a problem. On the same trip a buddy had a new 2 hp Jiffy and it would not start well and once it started it did not sound so good (the gear box wine) then after the trip we noticed the gear box cover (that is plastic) had a big hole in it. Jiffy warrantied it.

If you jiffy is hard starting, look at the plug. Take a wire brush to it and clean it up good. Try to open the gap a little and see if that makes it better.

BigBuck$
01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I've now drilled a few holes with my new auger, seems to run OK but it is a pain in the ass to start. I found that if you prime it five or six times, apply full choke and pull it once then give it a tiny bit of throttle on the second pull it usually starts.

I've been playing around with the idle screw but haven't touched the high speed mix yet because it is still not broke in.

I think the auger is a bit underpowered with the 3HP - 10" combination and it might end up being quite a chore once the ice gets 3 feet thick.

Dougie55
01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I sold my Strikemaster last year, and am not a mechanic, but one of my buddies is a small engine repairman. He says that most of the newer small engines he works on have set ups that are far to rich. He strongly suggests one of the synthetics at 100/1, and if you are worried about not enough oil, cut it to 80/1, but no less, or you lose the benefits of the oil. I know I took his advice with my outboard, and it has never run as well. I have used the synthetics for years in my other small engines, and love it, and after a season of using it in my boat motor, I won't go back to standard oil.
With the leaner mixture, you should find starting and running your motors a lot easier.

walley
01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I have a Jiffy Model 30, 8 inch auger which was built in 1988, partnered with my cousin when we bought it. He bought a new Jiffy 10 inch probably 12-15 years ago. I primed it this fall and started on the second pull. I have to keep the choke on for most of the first hole but after that it goes and goes. Don't do nothing special to it, changed plugs a few times and had a mechanic friend check the settings on it. I can't imagine how many holes it has drilled over the years. No plans to buy a new one from what I am hearing!

BigBuck$
02-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Anybody want to buy an auger? :mad3: After some "field testing" I have come to the conclusion that these new augers are a piece of junk. I have had nothing but grief with the carberator on mine (plastic, go figure). It all started out when I tried to adjust the needle on the carb which was held in place with loc tite, stripped the screw and had to replace it. Next the throtle cable started to stick which was caused by a burr on the throttle linkage (plastic, go figure). I smoothed that out the best I could and stuck a compression spring in behind the throttle linkage to help close it when the throttle was let off. I kept playing around with the needle to try to get it to run propperly, I finaly ended up taking it to a small engine shop where the mechanic basicly told me it was the most chicken **** piece of crap that he has ever worked on. There is no way to properly adjust the needle, if you back it off to make it run right the danm thing will vibrate loose when you run it. I farmer fixed that with a few shims so the needle would stay tight when it was properly adjusted.

If you haven't already, DON'T BUY A NEW JIFFY AUGER!!! I have emailed Jiffy to complain but so far no response.

As for Crappy Tire where I bought it, customer service was great, store pollicy absolutly stupid. They will not return the auger because it has had gas in it :confused:. This is pollicy on all their stuff, lawnmowers, chain saws, etc. They can only offer to repair the product once it has been used. How the hell do you know what it is going to run like unless you put gas in it and start it? What is the point of trying to fix something that is of poor design?

Another thing I have noticed is the gear case (plastic, go figure). There is no way to grease or oil or any of the internal parts without taking the thing and splitting it. I have no idea if it's oil or what in there so I haven't taken it apart, yet. Sure would be nice if it was easier to do a bit of preventative maintenace on the stupid thing before something else starts giving me grief.

javlin101
02-20-2010, 07:47 AM
I bought the 3500 8" from CT last week, had 2 issues out of the box.

1. the screw holding the air cleaner was stripped .
2. the little exshaust deflector broke off but was my fault.

Email Jiffy & they responded the next day by aplogizing for my issues & sent out new parts right away.

Other than that the first time getting it started was a pain(find the sweet spot for the choke). After that so far it starts on 1 or 2 pulls & runs great, drills like cutting through butter.

I have a metal transfer case not plastic & not sure what engine it has.

Guess I am happy & see how things go.

Jim

Penner
02-20-2010, 08:07 AM
I've had a Husky for 3 years now. BUY A HUSKY you'll never go back.

Linehaul
02-20-2010, 09:35 AM
The best you can get is a Nils auger. Jap motor and Fin auger.

turnpike
02-20-2010, 09:47 AM

Got the same auger earlier this season. Has worked awesome for me. Starts first pull every time!
:)

madatter
02-20-2010, 10:21 AM
I bought a new auger a while ago,an Eskimo Viper and gotta say I'm pretty impressed with it.
Starts very easy,runs strong and cuts like crazy.
It is very well built and seems solid overall,not to mention its cheaper than the Strikemaster and Jiffy augers.
The old Jiffy still runs good but just wanted something different and I'm not disappointed.

fish99
02-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I purchased a eskimo 3 weeks ago it starts on the first pull idles good and doesnot stall like the jiffy