PDA

View Full Version : New York Times Promoting Hunting?

Sentinel9
11-26-2009, 08:15 PM
http://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/11/24/dining/1247465837395/closer-to-the-bone.html?hp

Stinky Buffalo
11-26-2009, 08:28 PM
That's a good one article. Finally, a sensible news report. :D

bobjoe
11-26-2009, 11:42 PM
That's a good one article. Finally, a sensible news report. :D

X2 good to see such a such a report.

CaberTosser
11-27-2009, 12:21 AM
I think that was presented in a way that could possibly sway a lot of anti's, save for perhaps the most fervent fundamentalists. The students all seem intelligent and express themselves well; they noted their motivations and rationale about hunting about as well as can be done. Plus, they even look the part of the Liberal/Democrat set, if there is such a "look". They're not the Bogey-man, and what they are learning is an age old skill-set that is lost to many in the developed world. In much of the rest of the world, hunting is still a primary survival skill; not merely a "hobby".

rustynailz
11-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Plus, they even look the part of the Liberal/Democrat set, if there is such a "look".

Oh, there is most DEFINITELY such a look.

Okotokian
11-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Oh, there is most DEFINITELY such a look.

That's a bit of a biased thing to say. Judging people's character, politics, morality by their looks?

hercules
11-27-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree Oks.
Rustynailz, you could perhaps be misjudged youself from time to time. For instance someone who knows you, may find it difficult to share the same opionions as you do. Would that be alright for them to judge you just because you wear a camo hat? I hope not.

Matt L.
11-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Oko, you'd be surprised how well a person can peg someone else by how they present themselves.

Okotokian
11-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Oko, you'd be surprised how well a person can peg someone else by how they present themselves.

Well, I can agree to a degree. If a person is wearing a t-shirt with a slogan on it you could probably surmise that they agree with it or chose it to make some sort of statement. Goth clothing, ok maybe some message there (though I'm not sure what it is and wouldn't want to guess). But I've learned that having a southern drawl and saying "y'all" doesn't mean you are a redneck or a racist, not everyone who is gay or supports gay marriage is a liberal or NDP supporter, and that if you wear plaid and work with your hands you could still be highly intelligent and up on world affairs.

I think we believe we can "peg" people accurately when in fact we can't from the few facts we have about them.

Let's take the gun-owning, church-going Roman Catholic who usually votes conservative, has a couple of liberal arts degrees, works in the energy industry, is pro-life, is in favour of gay marriage, is pro-public healthcare, believes in free enterprise, believes in helping the poor and less fortunate, dresses in suits during the work week, and jeans or camo on the weekends. If you knew only one of those things about him could you accurately "peg" the person? And "peg" them to what? They are not clearly left or right. Lot of seemingly contradictory stuff there. People are rarely ALL this or ALL that. They have different views on lots of different things, like most of us.

CaberTosser
11-27-2009, 07:26 PM
As with all generalizations, there are exceptions. But the generalization is known as a generalization for a reason; that being averages, percentages, whatever you want to call it. These people spoke fluent greenie/lefty/liberal, thats all I was noting. Some of them might well be homophobes, racists or employed as tradespeople, maybe even one or two are religious fundamentalists. The point is that they 'get' hunting, and can promote it effectively in circles that might not typically breed new hunters. This in itself is in defiance of the stereotype and I applaud it.

I myself fit into a few stereotypes, yet defy many more. Sometimes its fun to play with what peoples preconcieved notions of you may be.

6.5 shooter
11-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Well again we have a great post which was all about how a guy is teaching people how to get in touch with there inner hunter and it was HIJACKED by a group of posters who seem bent on dropping their morally bull sh** bombs on anything that does not fit into there narrow ways of looking at the world....can you people just shut up say good job.... and then if you have something else to say ..... then start your own thread ..... it is at the top of the page in a little box that says..(NEW THREAD)

CaberTosser
11-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Well again we have a great post which was all about how a guy is teaching people how to get in touch with there inner hunter and it was HIJACKED by a group of posters who seem bent on dropping their morally bull sh** bombs on anything that does not fit into there narrow ways of looking at the world....can you people just shut up say good job.... and then if you have something else to say ..... then start your own thread ..... it is at the top of the page in a little box that says..(NEW THREAD)

Hmmm.... perhaps someone is a bit testy from spending an evening stuck in traffic perhaps? So far the only narrow minded coments I've noted have a certain ring of irony to them.:rolleyes:

This being the general statement " Please don't comment other than "Nice post" . Please don't make a point or have any related comments that might ruffle the slightest (hyper)sensitivity anyone has." Welcome to free expression, 6.5. We're glad you don't have the right to stifle it. That would be a drag.

BTW: My comments about the homophobic, racist, religious fundamentalist tradepeople was toungue-in-cheek. I AM a tradesperson, but I am none of the rest of that list. Again.... in keeping with breaking the stereotypes.