PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Donkeys

rhuntley12
11-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Not sure if there is a better forum out there for this or not but haven't found one yet.

The misses wants a couple miniature donkeys so bad. I convinced her to wait until next summer when we can build a barn, but we ended up seeing a couple she fell in love with.

Anyone know how well they do in the winter without a barn? We do have a 3 sided shelter in the pasture and an auto waterer from the previous owners. I'm just a bit worried about when it gets down to neg 40 without having a barn to put them in. Anyone have donkeys and how do they do in the winter?

She even tried to convince me they could go in the garage or basement when it gets really cold. :huh:

sheepguide
11-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Not sure if there is a better forum out there for this or not but haven't found one yet.

The misses wants a couple miniature donkeys so bad. I convinced her to wait until next summer when we can build a barn, but we ended up seeing a couple she fell in love with.

Anyone know how well they do in the winter without a barn? We do have a 3 sided shelter in the pasture and an auto waterer from the previous owners. I'm just a bit worried about when it gets down to neg 40 without having a barn to put them in. Anyone have donkeys and how do they do in the winter?

She even tried to convince me they could go in the garage or basement when it gets really cold. :huh:

They will do fine in the winter as long as you have a wind break they are good. Not sure where you are located but there are a few go through the Innisfail horse sales for almost free.
SG

rhuntley12
11-27-2009, 10:08 AM
They will do fine in the winter as long as you have a wind break they are good. Not sure where you are located but there are a few go through the Innisfail horse sales for almost free.
SG

Thanks, we are just SW of De Winton. Maybe I'll surprise her with them and work on them brownie points.:evilgrin:

sheephunter
11-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Ya, they are pretty hardy little critters. Useless but hardy...lol

Reeves1
11-27-2009, 11:13 AM
PM sent

Interested in Mini Horses ?

sheepguide
11-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Useless but hardy...lol

x2:lol:

sheepguide
11-27-2009, 11:14 AM
PM sent

Go with the donkeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rhuntley12
11-27-2009, 11:44 AM
PM sent

I hope not. Trying to keep it at only 2 donkeys for now. :lol:

If she wants mini horses next year I may try to use it as a bargaining tool to let me get some birds.:D

Whiskey Wish
11-27-2009, 11:45 AM
If they have an excellent windbreak....no, not a copse of willow bushes, lots of fresh bedding and free choice good quality feed they will easily withstand -40 temps. Keep in mind, as with any hayburner, no water means no eating means suffering in the cold. Equines can easily get by on snow but there must be large quantities of fresh powder snow for that to work. Making cattle and horses eat snow has been controversial for ages but Alberta Agriculture has done studies that prove the animals get by just fine as long as the quantity and quality of snow is there. You can check the studies for yourself at the Alberta Ag website "Ropin' the Web".
One thing some people miss with equines is that once you start to blanket them you must continue to blanket them for the rest of the winter. Similar to keeping your dog outside full time or allowing them inside. They suffer tremendously if you change in the middle of winter as they have not developed the proper hair coat.
Good luck with your pets and remember that old adage about horses applies to donkeys as well. " No Hoof....No Horse!! " Keep their feet well trimmed.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.

sheephunter
11-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Feeding horses dry hay with no source of water is a sure fire way to have a horse, or donkey colic. You feed dry feed in the winter and they need water.

sheepguide
11-27-2009, 12:11 PM
No reason to not water!! Sure they will survive, but why? A horse(or donkey) should have an unlimited supply of water. And with dry hay for sure. How would you like to eat dry soda crackers all day with nothing to drink!

sheephunter
11-27-2009, 12:16 PM
No reason to not water!! Sure they will survive, but why? A horse(or donkey) should have an unlimited supply of water. And with dry hay for sure. How would you like to eat dry soda crackers all day with nothing to drink!

Actually lots don't survive. I've seen a lot of horses colic from going off water or not having access to water in the winter and ending up dead. Impaction colics are quite often fatal, or at the very least expensive.

Whiskey Wish
11-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Feeding horses dry hay with no source of water is a sure fire way to have a horse, or donkey colic. You feed dry feed in the winter and they need water.

Then the 15 head of horses I've been feeding should have died off along about 1985. Sorry but the research and the facts don't bear your conclusion out. Having said all that I happen to agree with watering livestock but that is based simply on my own feelings not animal science.
As an experiment one year I left my horses with full access to their regular water then fed them hay thru my bale processor at the other end of the quarter about 1/2 mile away. We had a good 12 to 14 inches of snow that year as my tractor was often spinning tires as I was processing out the hay. The horses seldom returned to the waterer and they held condition just fine until the snow became too crusty later into March due to freeze/thaw cycles then they travelled back to the automatic waterer.
In 30 some years of raising horses I have only lost one horse due to colic and that was in June. For various reasons I have fed horses or winter grazed horses with only snow for water and they have done just fine but given my choice I would water them, again, based on my own feelings not science.
My two cents worth.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.

sheepguide
11-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Actually lots don't survive. I've seen a lot of horses colic from going off water or not having access to water in the winter and ending up dead. Impaction colics are quite often fatal, or at the very least expensive.

Oh i agree totaly on the dry hay and water part but most horses that are pasture fed or fed on slough grasses will survive just fine. Not saying its totaly the best way but it does work. Hundreds of outfitters and native horses live like this. And I know that your gunna say that they lose horses but them are usually lost to predators or the extreme cold. I know lots of guys that pasture land in the winter just for that reason. No access to water.
Personaly I wouldnt but lots do with no problems.
SG

sheephunter
11-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Oh i agree totaly on the dry hay and water part but most horses that are pasture fed or fed on slough grasses will survive just fine. Not saying its totaly the best way but it does work. Hundreds of outfitters and native horses live like this. And I know that your gunna say that they lose horses but them are usually lost to predators or the extreme cold. I know lots of guys that pasture land in the winter just for that reason. No access to water.
Personaly I wouldnt but lots do with no problems.
SG

Sheepguide, actually, you don't know what I'm gunna say so please don't speculate or put words in my mouth. Pasture is a different story from hay for sure. I've been talking hay fed ponies all along...not pasture horses.

All I can say Whiskey is that I've seen too many horses with the final needle being stuck in their neck from an impaction colic caused by them either stopping drinking in the extreme cold or not having access to water and being fed hay.

rhuntley12
11-27-2009, 01:08 PM
There is a 3 sided shelter for them and an auto waterer in the back pasture and pump and water trough if they end up in the front. I'm a total acreage noob which is why I'm always worried but the misses grew up on a farm so knows lots more then I.

sheephunter
11-27-2009, 01:12 PM
There is a 3 sided shelter for them and an auto waterer in the back pasture and pump and water trough if they end up in the front. I'm a total acreage noob which is why I'm always worried but the misses grew up on a farm so knows lots more then I.

LOL...you should be good to go! Enjoy them...they do have attitude!

Grizzly Adams
11-27-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm gonna jump into this argument.:lol: Sure they can survive on snow, but do you want your horse to "survive", or do well? It takes energy to convert that snow to water , which means more feed, not to mention additional stress, which may bring on other problems, like colic, especially if the feed is low quality. As well, they have to work harder for that water and are likely not to get enough. Check out the **** piles left by a bunch of horses foraging without supplemental water. :lol:
Grizz

sheepguide
11-27-2009, 02:16 PM
ISure they can survive on snow, but do you want your horse to "survive", or do well?

And that is exactly why no one said they would do it!

heybert
11-28-2009, 12:38 AM
rhuntley12,
I may have a line on some miniature donkeys for you. I live just south of Okotoks and one of my neighbours was talking about downsizing her herd. I'll pm you if I can get more details.

saskbuffaloguy
11-28-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm gonna jump into this argument.:lol: Sure they can survive on snow, but do you want your horse to "survive", or do well? It takes energy to convert that snow to water , which means more feed, not to mention additional stress, which may bring on other problems, like colic, especially if the feed is low quality. As well, they have to work harder for that water and are likely not to get enough. Check out the **** piles left by a bunch of horses foraging without supplemental water. :lol:
Grizz

yeah X2
People always ask me if i have to feed the buffalo hay in the winter.. I always roll my eyes and reply nope they are just like us and can live on snowballs and love. There is a difference between 'surviving' and 'thriveing'
If your animals are on snow. take note the Pee holes in the snow..if they are yellow things are fine, but if the turn a darker orange color then dehydration is setting in.