PDA

View Full Version : Cape Care

Hilgy
11-27-2009, 10:23 PM
So I was able to put my best WT ever on the ground tonight. Now that I have him caped out ( 90% sure that I will need a new cape because the bullet did some wierd stuff and punched a good size hole just behind the front shoulder) I just put the head and cape in a big garbage bag and stuck it in the freezer.

Is this the right thing to do and if so how long can it stay in the freezer before i get it to a Taxidermist.

Thanks

Hilgy

bobjoe
11-27-2009, 10:32 PM
You did the right thing. I don't know how long it can be left in the freezer for though, I just normally take it right to the taxidermist and he takes care of the cape but the sooner you get there the better it is. As for the bullet hole in the cape it won't be a big deal for the taxidermist to fix. The deer I took in this year had a decent size hole in it in the same place as yours but it always depends on the what kind of mount your getting done. If it is just a head mount then it shouldn't matter about the hole. If you send me a PM I can give you the name of a guy that does great work here in Red Deer.

Matt

TreeGuy
11-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Congrats Hilgy! There's a real good chance I'll be dumping one from the treestand in the next 3 days, and if I do, you are more than welcome to have the cape. Stay tuned..........:)

Tree

Hilgy
11-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks tree I may take you up on that offer. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Matt PM on the way.

Thanks
Hilgy

pottymouth
11-28-2009, 02:19 AM
So I was able to put my best WT ever on the ground tonight. Now that I have him caped out ( 90% sure that I will need a new cape because the bullet did some wierd stuff and punched a good size hole just behind the front shoulder) I just put the head and cape in a big garbage bag and stuck it in the freezer.

Is this the right thing to do and if so how long can it stay in the freezer before i get it to a Taxidermist.

Thanks

Hilgy

Don't worry about the hole in the shoulder, i'm sure any reputable taxidermist can fix it, and you won't even be able to tell, I put a huge hole right in the throat patch of one of mine, my taxi di his job.no one can tell.I would take into a taxi shop as soon as you can, but freezing it wont hurt it , if it's frozen properly.