PDA

View Full Version : Doggy Acupuncture

Mish
11-30-2009, 10:32 AM
I have a 10 year old Shepherd with hip problems. He has problems going up and down stairs, and often in the mornings we'll find he has pooped right where he was sleeping. I'm not sure if he doesn't realize that he had to go to the bathroom, or if he just couldn't get up at the time. He is on medicated food, and also glucosomine/MSM supplements. I've spoken to some people who recommended doggy acupuncture. At $60 a session, it seems like fair deal. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried doggy acupuncture, and how it worked for you?

theycallmeNoah
11-30-2009, 10:58 AM
We haven't tried acupuncture but we have done chiropractic treatments on both our Golden Retriever and our Brittany. They both did well with them.

We also get our Golden (who is 12.5 y/o) monthly shots of cartrophan (sp?). They have worked wonders on her. She was having alot of problems with our stairs and now she can handle them much better. She is also like a puppy at the dog park.

I heard about this treatment from 2 different vet techs and now I swear by it. Molly is a completely different dog. It's much easier on them as compared to Metacam (no stomach or liver issues) and also much cheaper than all the other options that were presented to us. We pay $25/month.

We also do glucosamine.

Hope this helps

Pheasinator
11-30-2009, 11:12 AM
A few years back my 5 year old lab was more or less a three legged dog due to a very bad fornt shoulder. I tried Glucosamine but it did nothing. My dog was favoring that leg so bad that the muscle started to atrophy. Finally after going to about 5 different vets on put me on to Nikkin CM formula. With in five days my dog started using her leg again and has enjoyed another 5 years of bird hunting. We started out with something like 8 pills a day in order to get it thoroughly in her system. After a few weeks were down to one pill a day. I can't stress how good this product is, truly a miracle drug. Actually its a food supplement and consits of synthetic glucosamine and salmon oil which is an anti-inflammatory. You can't get it in stores so you will need to find a dealer. I get my pills for around $60 a bottle.
As for acupuncture I never needed to go dwon that path.

Mish
11-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Hmmm, I will stop by the vet office today and ask them about cartrophan and Nikkin CM.

Is cartrophan offered at regular vet offices?

How many pills are in each $60 bottle of Nikkin?

According to the vet, dogs cannot digest pure glucosomine, which is why a lot of people say it does not work (they are giving their dogs pure glucosomine). Glucosomine with MSM enzymes help the dogs digest the glucosomine. I'm not sure if it's true, he's only been on this glucosomine/MSM supplement for about a week...if it isn't, the vets took me for $55.

theycallmeNoah
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I believe that the cartrophan is pretty standard. I heard about it at one clinic then at my own. A vet tech in my agility class also told me that they have quite a few clients that use it.

I recently switched vets and when I asked about it they said that they don't usually use it. But once I explained how well it has been working for Molly, they had no trouble using it.

At first you'll need to do a loading dose. Ours was weekly for 3 weeks and then we went to once a month. I try and book her shots for as close to exactly one month as possible. You can tell when I've stretched it out for too long. She stiffens right up.

dollfin
11-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi,
My family friends use doggy acupuncture on their border collie/lab for her hip displasia, and its working. We have two border collies that just turned 10 and 11 years old, we give them glucosamine, and a children's aspirin everyday and it seems to help with their mild hip displasia, and/or arthritis. We are supposed to get them in for xrays soon to find out what stage they are at. I would try the acupuncture for sure.:)

Mish
11-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the tips!!

I've booked Semi's first acupuncture appointment for tomorrow, will let you know how it goes. Vet tech says it usually takes about 2 sessions to see some improvement.

Both clinics I spoke with today said I'd have to book an appointment with the vet to speak about the different medications, so that will have to wait until tomorrow, as well.

I'm crossing my fingers. Semi has been the most protective and loyal friend to me....I hope even just one of these solutions work. :(

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/IndigoCowgirl/Pets/Semi2.jpg

Private Ear
11-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Great looking hound there Mish.

We have our 12 y/o golden (who has had hip problems all of her life) on Medical Mobility Support food. It has green lipped mussels in it and it made a huge difference in the first 2 weeks.

Please let me know how the accupuncture works:wave:

Mish
12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
The vet today recommended Medical Mobility dog food, too, I think I will get some the next time Semi needs more food. Right now he is on Hill's Prescription Diet, which doesn't seem to work as well as it used to.

Semi's first acupuncture session was about 1 hour long, and the vet said he'll need at least 4 more to see a difference, but he seems a bit more energetic today. Usually he avoids going out because of the stairs, or getting up or anything, because it hurts. Today, I saw him tackle the stairs 4 times WILLINGLY. He was clumsy going down and slow going up, I didn't really see much of an improvement as far as mobility goes, but HOLY ENERGY. For a dog that doesn't even bother getting up when I come into the room now, tackling the stairs four times is a miracle.

dodger
12-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Hello Mish.
Keep us updated on your results, this has been an informative post and I appreciate the comments from everyone as my dog is starting to show hip problems.
Dodger.

Grizzly Adams
12-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Somehow, I can't get my mind around the concept, that stickling a pin in your ass, is going to cure a headache.:lol:
Grizz

Mish
12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Semi has been keeping himself busy by walking around the main floor (second floor is still too many stairs away), visiting everyone. Kitchen, office, dining room, repeat. I mean, this old guy didn't even like getting up from his bed if I went in the kitchen to make food! Now he's wandering around, nonstop, and honestly, I think he looks happier. When he comes up to you he looks you right in the eye with this proud look, as if to say, "Hey, look at me, I'm finally on patrol again, I'm protecting you". Semi always seemed happiest after he had successfully protected me from some sort of "danger". I haven't seen him this perky in a long time.

He is still walking slowly, taking it easy, and sometimes has to stop to take a rest, but the fact that he's walking around so much is amazing. It brings tears to my eyes every time he walks up to me with that proud look.

rhuntley12
12-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Couple guys I work with swear by acupuncture and it seems to help them a lot. I would imagine it would be the same with a dog.

Hope it works out

Bear
12-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Our Shepard has some problems where the spine meets the pelvis. The vet's here have her on a medication called Metacam. It is a liquid that you just squirt down their throat with a syringe. It is an anti inflamitory and pain medication. Works like a charm. For our 88lbs dog she goes thru about $90/month but she is worth it. Same thing she would just lay around the house and sometimes it hurt too much to even get up to go outside. Now she runs and chases the lazer light like a pup.

http://www.metacam.com/index.php

artie
12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Somehow, I can't get my mind around the concept, that stickling a pin in your ass, is going to cure a headache.:lol:
Grizz

I became a believer when she taped poppy seeds to my ear. These were pressure points. I was supposed to press them several times a day. When I had a migraine I could not touch the seeds as it hurt too much. When I never had a migraine I could press the seeds hard with no pain.
I Believe

diamonddave
12-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Grizz

:lol::lol::lol: I should have tried that with my ex wife! :evilgrin:Thanks for the laugh Grizz!

fishing_flower
12-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Nothing like seeing your dear furfriend up and happy! :D