PDA

View Full Version : Best lake to pull a bigger rainbows

double gun
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
There are lots of 1-2lb rainbows at our local trout lake, but I was wondering where in Alberta a guy has a realistic chance of pulling a 5lb+ rainbow thru the ice? Any suggestions?

pikester
11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Cow still has the odd football Rainbow but I don't fish it enough to know if it's worth the trouble or not. Maybe there's someone on here who gets out there enough to give you better intel. Phyllis Lake used to produce a few 3-6lb Rainbows but again it's been a while for me. Dickson trout pond has a few suprises from time to time as well. I know your from wayyyyy up North but these are some spots to keep in mind if you end up closer to Red Deer for a trip.

double gun
11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the tips Pikester. I know there are a few surprises.... a friend of mine pulled a 8lb rainbow here - but that is SUPER rare and was about 10yrs ago.

troutpirate
11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
cow lake was stocked with only 42 broodstock rainbows this year, not going to go far in a lake that size.

fishman
11-30-2009, 10:11 PM
cow lake was stocked with only 42 broodstock rainbows this year, not going to go far in a lake that size.

Knowing the fisheries they probably stocked them blind so even make your odds even greater........jk

Sundancefisher
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
There are lots of 1-2lb rainbows at our local trout lake, but I was wondering where in Alberta a guy has a realistic chance of pulling a 5lb+ rainbow thru the ice? Any suggestions?

Check stocking records...

tbosch
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=pikester;444864] Phyllis Lake used to produce a few 3-6lb QUOTE]

I believe phyllis still gets stocked with brooders every year or two. We usually slam a few big ones out of there every year.

rammer
12-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Try Summerside Lake in edmonton if your ever in the area. There are some pretty decent ones in there in the 4-5 pound range. Lake is supposedly for area residents only, but we've never had a problem.

nicemustang
12-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Dickson trout pond had brooders in there in the past, but haven't checked the stockin reports.

nicemustang
12-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Notice your way north, check the stocking reports here: http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports.aspx and you will find more info.

DANOMAN
12-02-2009, 04:17 PM
upper kananaskis lake by the island just make sure on the ice. drilled 6" hole side by side because some of the rainbows are that big! lower kananaskis lake is big bullies! some go 10 lbs....fun fun fun!! if you want more details you'll have to pm me !! :D

Dougie55
12-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Up this way, I would still say Carson is the best bet for larger bows. Not near as many as there used to be, but still quite a few over 5 lb caught each year. Some of the stocked pot hole lakes have brooders stocked as mentioned before. Dolberg by Barrhead got me an 8 lb'r about 4 yrs ago, though it winterkills a lot. I think if you want bigger trout, you will probably have to travel south quite a bit.

Paul C
12-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Dolberg winter kills???????????????????????????????????????/:rolleye2:
That lake is one of the better lakes and this year the water was crystal clear through out the hot summer and fall. That lake has trout to 10 pounds and
produces trout on a consistent basis.

Paul C
12-02-2009, 05:48 PM
:rolleye2::rolleye2::rolleye2::rolleye2::rolleye2: :rolleye2::rolleye2::rolleye2:Up this way, I would still say Carson is the best bet for larger bows. Not near as many as there used to be, but still quite a few over 5 lb caught each year. Some of the stocked pot hole lakes have brooders stocked as mentioned before. Dolberg by Barrhead got me an 8 lb'r about 4 yrs ago, though it winterkills a lot. I think if you want bigger trout, you will probably have to travel south quite a bit.

Dougie55
12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey, I only go with what the Biologists tell me..Maybe they have steered me wrong...but I doubt it. Maybe Thunder doesn't winterkill either.

Dougie55
12-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Paul C...
"That lake has trout to 10 pounds and produces trout on a consistent basis."
You have pics of 10 lb'ers from there in the last few years? I was there in early October, and the lake was NOT clear. I did catch fish, as usually I do, because it is stocked yearly, and not as heavily fished as it used to be..(My wife's family lives about 4 miles from the lake, so I fish it a lot). Show me proof before you doubt my comments.

pickrel pat
12-02-2009, 06:47 PM
swan lake by valleyview

Paul C
12-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey, I only go with what the Biologists tell me..Maybe they have steered me wrong...but I doubt it. Maybe Thunder doesn't winterkill either.
I will never follow what the biologists say because studies are based on real time data. The information is only accurate at the time it is taken. Your source of data is not acurate. Your are correct about thunder lake. This past summer the water levels are very low and algae were quite bad.
My clients who fish up at the lake are proof of the lakes status.
I challenge your source of data. The f&w supervisor out of barrhead office has accurate information. His name is Derek, contact him and he will give you an accurate fishing report of Dolberg. I gave one his staff member sample of my tackle. The guys who have the photos is absolute.
Cheers :)

Paul C
12-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Paul C...
"That lake has trout to 10 pounds and produces trout on a consistent basis."
You have pics of 10 lb'ers from there in the last few years? I was there in early October, and the lake was NOT clear. I did catch fish, as usually I do, because it is stocked yearly, and not as heavily fished as it used to be..(My wife's family lives about 4 miles from the lake, so I fish it a lot). Show me proof before you doubt my comments.
Log on to http://wee-hours.com and tour my fishing photos

Paul C
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
swan lake by valleyview
That lake has huge rainbows. I saw a real good photo on the edmonton trout fishing club website.:wave:

AxeMan
12-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Dougie, don't doubt what Paul says. He practically lives at that lake. I can attest to everything he claims. The only person likely to outfish him there is me....:D;)

Paul C
12-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I fear somebody who carries a sharp that big on there shoulder.

:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::lol::evil grin:

Paul C
12-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I was told this by a friend, 98 percent of fisherman do not know how to fish.
2 percent know how but 1 percent is really good at it. The one percent is usually the fly fisherman or the professional fisherman.

Cheers :)