PDA

View Full Version : Flies for Ice Fishing Trout

DustDee
11-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Does anyone here tie up their own flies for ice fishing trout and perch?

What types of patterns do you use? I'd figure some scuds, chroni's, and various nymph patterns would probably work.

Is there anything different you do for ice fishing flies? More weight? Hook orientation?

I figure another couple weeks should provide for enough ice down south to start fishing. But I got the itch and i gotta do something to scratch it, and tying up some flies might help.

Thanks,

Dusty

Versatile
12-01-2009, 12:06 AM
I use all those including SJW, woolybuggers, and egg replicas.

troutpirate
12-01-2009, 12:37 AM
I use all those including SJW, woolybuggers, and egg replicas.

replicas? you must be a way better fly tier than me, all i can tie is egg patterns:huh:

Versatile
12-01-2009, 12:45 AM
They are just those little orange puff balls.

AlbertaAngler
12-01-2009, 08:14 AM
While they are probably technically not flies, I tie some micro jigs with marabou and flash.

tbosch
12-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I've had really good luck with chironimid patterns and micro leech patterns for big bows through the ice.

nicemustang
12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Interesting thread guys...I have to say I've never tried fishing with a fly under ice. Since I'm not a fly fisher...interested in the findings here. Tbosch, any pics of what a "chironimid" or micro leech pattern looks like? Honestly I have no idea...but always wanted to try.

Dougie55
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I use different color weighted backswimmers all winter long for perch and trout. The green and the black are great for perch and red works great on the trout.
Like Versatile, I use woo;y buggers a lot, and some smaller leech patterns. Another dynamite one for trout is Thunder Creek Marabou Dace patterns, with or without using chenile, or something else for body flash.

tbosch
12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Interesting thread guys...I have to say I've never tried fishing with a fly under ice. Since I'm not a fly fisher...interested in the findings here. Tbosch, any pics of what a "chironimid" or micro leech pattern looks like? Honestly I have no idea...but always wanted to try.

Here are some pics of chironimids and a micro leech. If you're heading out to the burntstick or beaver area stop in at caroline supplies. They usually have a good selection of flies there and can help out with proper selection. At beaver this spring my go to was a chironimid we call the ice cream cone. I tie it with a blue head and brown/copper body. I'm by no means good at fly tying but the trout didn't seem to mind.

nicemustang
12-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks a lot. A guy on here once showed me how to hook a chironimid under a small jig. Left the chironimid hanging done 4-6" and left it on the bottom, bounce it up up when jigging in the weeds. Then a small jig head with a minnow, shrimp, maggots, eye, etc. That seemed to be best of both worlds. Might have to try that out on my automatic fisherman rod :)

DustDee
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Here's an article I found on using flies he had tied for ice fishing pike.

http://www.nwf.ca/Art_IceFliesforPike.htm

Thought that was kinda interesting. I had considered flies for trout, but it hadn't crossed my mind to use them for pike through the ice. Time to go buy some big hooks and skin some bunny rabbits!

spurly
12-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Leech, and minnow patterns work for me. On trout.

WayneChristie
12-01-2009, 06:12 PM
those pike flies look great, going to have to do a few and give them a try. thanks for the link