PDA

View Full Version : vertical or horizontal

tallieho
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
What way do you rig a smelt/sardine ? Using a tandem rig/or just a treble? thanks..new at this ..when i read about using a14"smelt for pike,got me wondering.

Stewie
12-01-2009, 10:06 AM
I always hang mine horizontal… but sometimes try and angle the head down just a little… looks like the bait is sick or injured…

We usually bought the 6 inch baits, until last year we started putting those 12 – 14 inch baits on… The big baits out fished the smaller baits 2 to 1 easy…

Sir Landsalot
12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
I always hang mine horizontal… but sometimes try and angle the head down just a little… looks like the bait is sick or injured…

We usually bought the 6 inch baits, until last year we started putting those 12 – 14 inch baits on… The big baits out fished the smaller baits 2 to 1 easy…

I agree with Stewie..horizontal is the way to go. It's a more natural presentation IMHO.

Brian H.
12-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I also agree, horizontal. I use Jack Makerall from superstore 8 - 10 inches long. After a week in the garage they start to smell funny:sick:. I uasullay out fish my partner when he uses smelts.:rolleyes:

honker_clonker
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
I added some extra wings and springs to my Ht windlass tip up so it can jig 12" baits. I hang it vertically and put it so it rests at a bit less than a 45 degree angle with the ground. Looks like bait feeding on stuff on the bottom and kicks up some silt. Its good stuff.