PDA

View Full Version : Wetaskiwin Lure

slingshotz
12-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I have read on different forums about a Wetaskiwin Special Lure but I have tried to find images on the internet to no avail, nor can I find any lures named this. Can anyone show me what a Wetaskiwin lure is or what the actual name of it is please?

Thx

honker_clonker
12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=1380550&enlargeSkuz=23176&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=071&D=07&C=071
There ya go

nicemustang
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
The only place i've seen it in town was the fishin hole. I've tried them for whites, didn't have the luck people rave about them, although I rarely fish for white with hooks.

slingshotz
12-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Fish are a lot dumber than people give them credit for and I believe that they will generally take anything that resembles food if they are hungry enough. Heck I've caught fish with a bare hook with a little piece of cloth tied to it :huh:

I was curious about what these Wetaskiwin lures are, some people make them out to be the perfect can't miss lure. They look like a Len Thompson classic 5 of diamonds, I don't really see much special about them. Although they are pretty cheap so I might pick up one or two in case I lose all my LT ones.

honker_clonker
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Its a colorado blade with 2 double hooks through the eyes.

dodger
12-01-2009, 05:54 PM
How do you fish that contraption ??
Dodger.

honker_clonker
12-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Its like a spoon with less action. You need a loop knot or a snap to give it more action. If you put bait on the hooks the action is substantially decreased. Jig it like a spoon. It will spin alot so its best to use a swivel.

DuckBrat
12-01-2009, 07:54 PM
For more info look under the, "WETASKIWIN SNAGGER".:rolleyes:

Cal
12-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I cant beleive this, so many people that have never used a wetaskiwin lure? Yeah its just a colorodo spinner with a couple of double hooks through the eye but I think pretty much every white fish I've caught through the ice has been caught on one. They dont have much action but that can be said of most of the good whitefish lures. I like to tie the line through the hook eyes so that the lure hangs horizontaly. I'll give it a big jig once in a while but for the most part I just let it hang there and either jiggle the line to make it vibrate a bit or I roll the line around between my fingers to get it to spin. My favorite colors are sort of a red devile patern that is orange and chartruse and the good home made penny lure.

fishunter77
12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
These lures use to be great at Pigeon for Whites. Bounce them off the bottom and slowly lift them up a foot. The lings would hit them as well.

troutpirate
12-01-2009, 10:01 PM
i have heard plenty about this lure being the go to hook for snagging spawning brookies off of chum like bacon, corn, roe, etc.
this is the first i have ever heard about it being used for anything else.

i guess we will see how popular this lure is in a few years, when most of the diploid brookies have died of old age and its only triploids in the popular snaggin' holes.

WayneChristie
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
interesting, Ive never heard of them either, must be a northern thing? whatever it takes tho, have to give them a try myself this winter!

Rockymtnx
12-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Its been a very common hook up in this area for 15 or more years.
Not well liked by some becuase they feel they only snag fish. But whitefish love them.

I had a picture of about a 100 of them I have, but do you think I can find it? :o

buckmaster
12-01-2009, 11:28 PM
These lures use to be great at Pigeon for Whites. Bounce them off the bottom and slowly lift them up a foot. The lings would hit them as well.

x2, used to be very popular at pigeon many years ago!

Sir Landsalot
12-02-2009, 10:01 AM
For more info look under the, "WETASKIWIN SNAGGER".:rolleyes:

Lol.. I just tried doing a Google search using WETASKIWIN SNAGGER as a heading. I only got one relevant result, and that was a link to this thread and your reply Duckbrat! :lol:

tbosch
12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I learned about them from a few ol local boys at gull lake quite a few years back. They were limiting out on whites every time they went out. I've tried them a few times and they do work but I think there must be a technique I dont know, or I just dont have the patience.

buckmaster
12-02-2009, 01:28 PM
I learned about them from a few ol local boys at gull lake quite a few years back. They were limiting out on whites every time they went out. I've tried them a few times and they do work but I think there must be a technique I dont know, or I just dont have the patience.

Bounce them off a sandy bottom in about 7 to 10 FOW:evilgrin:

Paul C
12-03-2009, 02:26 PM
This lure seems to work well pounding the body into the bottom or the technique I have seen is jigging every two seconds. Joe the pro out at Lac St.Anne uses this lure most of the time and does well for whites and lings. He also attaches a small swivel to improve action. If after all this years this is still a excellent ice fishing hook.
:DCheers:)

FishBrain
01-06-2010, 11:13 AM
revive a month old thread, but I think I see where everyones problem is
we are not looking for the city of wetaSSSSkiwin
we are looking for the lure WETAKIWIN
drop the SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
:)

Nikanit
01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
We use a special modified one that is copper on one side, silver on the other, and it has a little propeller on top of it. It actually swims to any area I want it to if you know how to us it. My Kerry made these modifications and 9 times outta 10 I catch whitefish. Pike really like it too

Rockymtnx
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
revive a month old thread, but I think I see where everyones problem is
we are not looking for the city of wetaSSSSkiwin
we are looking for the lure WETAKIWIN
drop the SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
:)

Nope it is spelt WETASKIWIN

BH1
01-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Nope it is spelt WETASKIWIN

Nope hes right it is WETAKIWIN... click the link posted by honker clonker

Sir Landsalot
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
LOL..ok, I tried doing a google search using "WETAKIWIN"...and it said "Do you mean Wetaskiwin?" :D
Too funny!

Backwoods boy
01-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Nope hes right it is WETAKIWIN... click the link posted by honker clonker

Its spelled WETASKWIN. I would know, I live there :lol:.