PDA

View Full Version : whitecourt doomed???

wildman
07-18-2007, 07:52 AM
saw this on the news last night...rather unsettling...woodlands county to build a nuclear power plant...3-eyed fish, here we come...

http://www.630ched.com/news/news_local.cfm?cat=7428109912&rem=70158&red=80110923aPBIny&wids=410&gi=1&gm=news_local.cfm

PainKiller
07-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Well you know it has to go some where cant see it being stoped now, and yes i hunt around the court .I guess we all know where the next world record NON-Typaical will come from .:rolleyes: {Doomed} is a strong word i dont think so.

Okotokian
07-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Buy Whitecourt property NOW!!!!!!! Which way do you think the prices are going to go when hundreds of well-paid nuclear plant employees move to town?????

wildman
07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
ok...this JUST happened a few days ago.
replace the name JAPAN with the name WHITECOURT...
no danger, my *****!!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/19/world/asia/19japan.html?em&ex=1184990400&en=ad08e1c1d87a30c4&ei=5087%0A

Okotokian
07-19-2007, 09:06 AM
ok...this JUST happened a few days ago.
replace the name JAPAN with the name WHITECOURT...
no danger, my *****!!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/19/world/asia/19japan.html?em&ex=1184990400&en=ad08e1c1d87a30c4&ei=5087%0A

Yeah, if Whitecourt is hit by a huge earthquake that collapses buildings and leaves 9,000 homeless as the story says. I think that risk is a WEE bit less than in Japan. And they still say the spill was below dangerous levels with all of that. Given the magnitude of the earthquake and the damage it wrought, I'd say that plant must be pretty well built.

SNAPFisher
07-19-2007, 09:06 AM
What does an earth quake in Japan have to do with Whitecourt? Last time I checked Whitecourt does not encounter earth quakes very often....okay i'm being sarcastic.

I do agree that I would rather not see nuclear power here in Alberta. Byproducts from such a plant are a bit frightening to me and others I would imagine.

On the other hand, power is becoming more and more utilized in AB. This is only going to grow. Where is the additional power going to come from? The sun? More rivers, if there are any left untapped? Wind?

CNP
07-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Some offer solutions others offer cynicism. AB needs power. Fom where I sit I can't say that the right or wrong choices have been made but I'm sure that a process was followed leading to who/what/when/where/why. To those who oppose any of the w's what is your solution and how did you arrive at it.....or is it a not-in-my-backyard approach (which is understandable).

wildman
07-19-2007, 12:14 PM
hey ehntr,
yup. that's exactly my point.
it doesn't matter how "safe" the facility is. we're talking about NUCLEAR FALLOUT.
we do NOT have eathquakes but how about vandalism, eco-terrorism, bombings, raging forest fires, tornadoes, off the top of my head...
THAT'S my point...one accident and she's toast!!!
just saying there's gotta be better solutions...solar, wind, alternate fuels, something that we WON'T regret?????
my $0.02...

Dick284
07-19-2007, 12:35 PM
hey ehntr,
it doesn't matter how "safe" the facility is. we're talking about NUCLEAR FALLOUT.
we do NOT have eathquakes but how about vandalism, eco-terrorism, bombings, raging forest fires, tornadoes, off the top of my head...
just saying there's gotta be better solutions...solar, wind, alternate fuels, something that we WON'T regret?????
my $0.02...

With Alberta growing at a rate of something like 300 Mega Watts / year, and In 2 years Wabumum 4 being decomisshioned(400MW) it does'nt take a genius to do the math that in about 4 years Alberta wont have enough generating capacity to look after our selves. Capital projects take 5 to 10 years to build, alternate sources add so little to the grid capacity it's almost un feasable.
Coal fired and gas fired generation are now being viewed as bad or worse than nuclear energy.
Gee what a conundrum we are in.

SNAPFisher
07-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah WM, I read you. Just it being there is enough risk. Sigh

CNP
07-19-2007, 04:20 PM
hey ehntr,
my $0.02...

We have always been vulnerable to the threaths you describe (vandalism, eco-terrorism, bombings, raging forest fires, tornadoes). Gas/Oil are still flowing, all the other generating stations are operating. South Ontario has many nuke generators. South Ontario is the most densely populated area in all of Canada and on top of that these generators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_reactors#Canada) are situated on large bodies of Water (Lake Ontario/Huron).

muzzy
07-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Heck Wildman there are nuclear power plants at pickering ontario which is about 40 min east of Toronto Been there about 30 years. You could get a job patrolling the parimeter of the plant in Whitecourt to shoot terrorists and we'd all sleep better :)

FiveO
07-20-2007, 08:17 AM
I dont at all like the idea of the plant going up. Not only the risk of a disater but how do you think they are going to get there water supply?. It takes massive amounts of water to cool a nuclear plant and what happens to the water after its heated?.

Okotokian
07-20-2007, 09:32 AM
I dont at all like the idea of the plant going up. Not only the risk of a disater but how do you think they are going to get there water supply?. It takes massive amounts of water to cool a nuclear plant and what happens to the water after its heated?.

It turns the turbine, then heads for the cooling tower :)

Grizzly Adams
07-21-2007, 09:21 PM
And then back into the river it came from, still warmer than it started out, along with a few additives, some radioctive and some just heavy metals it picked up in its travels.:D
Grizz

Jamie
07-21-2007, 09:52 PM
What do you guys all think powers the Computers you are looking at right now?

Damn a river and the whole world falls apart, cant burn coal, cant drill for oil and gas... Where does it all end?

We need this stuff, perhaps it is a matter of what is worse?

Jamie

WCTHEMI
07-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Here's a link to a great site that shows how it works. When people come to understand something, they can get over their fear of it. Just like taking an anti along on a trip to the range or hunting or fishing.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/nuclear-power.htm

Grizzly Adams
07-22-2007, 09:52 AM
I guess a good start would be to make our expectations a little more realistic. In the 1940's the average house was about 850 sq. ft and at least 4 people lived in it. Today, the average is over [from a construction magazine I get] 2000 and only a couple live there, not to mention all the energy using "conveniences". The problem with nuclear power is that the problems it creates, will outlast the human race. After living with the atom thing for over 100 years, we have still not found a long term solution to dealing with the waste products produced. It's easy enough to say the chances of an accident are statistically very low, but if the time period is long enough, it becomes 100%, especially if a multitude of plants are built.
Grizz

bearbait
07-22-2007, 01:46 PM
i still dont like the idea as im in whitecourt but untill i see the enviromental impact assesment ill stay low on this one...

good luck on buying property up here right now..pretty pricey...i payed 325,000 for my place in oct and its up to 465,000 right now....

Grizzly Adams
07-22-2007, 11:37 PM
A 7mm may drop anything, but a drop in the price of oil would work just as well, in Alberta.:D
Grizz

DLP
07-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Hey grizzly what do you mean "A drop in the price of Oil will kill everything":confused: Nuclear power is a safe viable form of alternative energy! To see the oil patch go through another depression would hurt much more than it did in the 80's, this is a big machine now to many families depend on it.

Grizzly Adams
07-23-2007, 08:01 AM
How quickly we forget. Remember those bumper stickers, "Dear Lord, please give us another oil boom, etc." This time we better not **** it all away. I just finished looking through Real Estate listings and you are right, there are a lot of people depending on the oil industry to barely afford some of those 500,000. shacks, plus all those expensive toys. As they say, what goes up must come down and when it does, as it will, there are going to be some very sorry people. As for atomic energy being safe, the jury is still out on that. What I see is an ever growing accumulation of nuclear waste, hazardous for hundreds of thousands of years, that we have not learned to deal with.
Grizz