PDA

View Full Version : Favorite mono?

Geezle
12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Title says it all. For those who use it, what's your favorite mono line and why?

For ice fishing this year, I have one reel that has 6lb braid on it, and yesterday I picked up a big spool of 15lb Maxima Ultragreen, so I'm going to put some of that on a reel for a pike setup. I haven't really heard of this stuff before, but the reviews I have seen on it seem pretty good.

I still have one more reel that needs line...and a rod to go with it. It'll be an UL setup for perch, so I'll probably be looking at 2-4lb line for that one. Should I just grab a spool of trusty ol' Trilene or is it worthwhile to spend a couple extra bucks and get something else?

WayneChristie
12-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I usually use Trilene for my 4 pound, but the last batch seems to be a bit inferior. heard from someone in the biz that it was a bad batch. I seem to have trouble finding 4 pound in any other brand tho, and its even worse finding 2 pound mono, only been able to find it once. Its worse now that Im in the boonies, maybe in the larger centers you would have more luck. Im thinking of trying 4 pound flourocarbon if I can find it next , should be great for perch and fussy walleyes.

The Fish King
12-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Through the ice mono can sometimes be an adventure haha
Personally I stick with the fireline ice, however, I do have a few reels spooled up with that berkely vanish transition. A neat line actually. It is gold when above the surface but clear as the water below. Its actually a flourocarbon but its kinda cool to be able to watch the line move without straining your eyes to much

Geezle
12-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I usually use Trilene for my 4 pound, but the last batch seems to be a bit inferior. heard from someone in the biz that it was a bad batch. I seem to have trouble finding 4 pound in any other brand tho, and its even worse finding 2 pound mono, only been able to find it once. Its worse now that Im in the boonies, maybe in the larger centers you would have more luck. Im thinking of trying 4 pound flourocarbon if I can find it next , should be great for perch and fussy walleyes.

I didn't realize that 2lb and 4lb were tough to come by, but I honestly haven't really looked for them yet.

As for the Trilene...do you know if it's all the different flavors of Trilene that had problems, or just one?

Maybe I should give some light fluorocarbon on that reel instead...? :confused:

Geezle
12-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Through the ice mono can sometimes be an adventure haha
Personally I stick with the fireline ice, however, I do have a few reels spooled up with that berkely vanish transition. A neat line actually. It is gold when above the surface but clear as the water below. Its actually a flourocarbon but its kinda cool to be able to watch the line move without straining your eyes to much

I thought just about everything is an adventure through the ice ;)

I grew up using mono for everything so I'm used to how it behaves, but it's been a number of years since I've been out on the ice and technology and such have come quite a distance since then :) So why do you prefer the Fireline Ice?

WayneChristie
12-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I just heard about 4 pound, but you might be better to ask someone who sells it. 2 pound test isnt very popular, but once you catch a big fish on something so light, and manage to land it, you will see why I like it :) I do like the braids tho, especially powerpro, its like having your finger in the fishes mouth. I can actually tell if I have a little piece of weed on my hook way out in the water, its that sensitive. hope I can find some in a very light strenght soon, sucks being 90 miles from the nearest REAL sporting goods store. but a 5 minute commute to work and never any traffic eases that pain pretty quick :D

Geezle
12-02-2009, 06:09 PM
I just heard about 4 pound, but you might be better to ask someone who sells it. 2 pound test isnt very popular, but once you catch a big fish on something so light, and manage to land it, you will see why I like it :) I do like the braids tho, especially powerpro, its like having your finger in the fishes mouth. I can actually tell if I have a little piece of weed on my hook way out in the water, its that sensitive. hope I can find some in a very light strenght soon, sucks being 9 miles from the nearest REAL sporting goods store. but a 5 minute commute to work and never any traffic eases that pain pretty quick :D
Yeah, I can see why 2lb wouldn't be terribly popular, but I also see the appeal it has to people who are more about the fight than just hulking the fish in.

You've got me thinking more about what I'm going to put on that last reel. I was mostly thinking 2lb just because I already have a reel with 6lb braid on it, so going from 4lb to 6lb isn't that much of a difference. Plus I have those two cheap Zebco reels that came spooled with 4lb mono on them if I really want.

Right now I'm thinking this reel will probably only get used in the winter, which is why I was thinking about using mono, since it's the least expensive. If I was going to be using it in the summer I'd probably go braided. Now I'm not entirely sure.

Decisions decisions...!

Dougie55
12-02-2009, 06:15 PM
For years I hae purchased 1, 2, 4, 6, lb line(although they don't quite rate them that way) from Cabelas. The brand is Tectan,and is the limpest line I have ever used, and one of the strongest. I use it with braid during the summer, and although I haven't seen a 'Some of you may want to five it a try, if you order from Cabelas at all. Haven't seen it anywhere else. I try all the lines and test them all. So far, up top their 14lb sort of test, I would match it with any other line on the market, and it is a super thin line,as well.

Dougie55
12-02-2009, 06:21 PM
For those of you that haven't used under 6 lb test.. You will not believe the 'feel' and the action of your lures, until you move down to 2 or 4 lb test. Just takes a decent drag, or patience when retrieving your fish, rather than 'horsing' them in. I can almost promise more hits..especially with trout and perch. I use 1, 2, and 4 all winter, other than Pike fishing, and have seldom lost a fish due to line size..(Ice rubs withstanding)

WayneChristie
12-02-2009, 06:42 PM
For those of you that haven't used under 6 lb test.. You will not believe the 'feel' and the action of your lures, until you move down to 2 or 4 lb test. Just takes a decent drag, or patience when retrieving your fish, rather than 'horsing' them in. I can almost promise more hits..especially with trout and perch. I use 1, 2, and 4 all winter, other than Pike fishing, and have seldom lost a fish due to line size..(Ice rubs withstanding)

Im a firm believer in ultralight. Ive stood side by side at ponds in Kananaskis, especially Mount Lorrette, and outfished everyone in sight. Using 2 pound line compared to their telephone poles and line you could see across the pond. Thats what makes me so interested in flourocarbons, if you can get really light lines, it should be totally invisible to the fish, and make the pickiest ones that more accessible. if you cant get flouros in that light a weight, I guess 2 pound mono would be the way to go, or 1 pound, now that would make for some exciting pike fishing. I would have to say there would be no better test of equipment and man to be able to land a 10 pound plus pike or any other fish on a line it could break with nothing more than an ugly look.

Geezle
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Now you guys have me really thinking about this whole line thing.

Including the two cheap Zebco reels, I have 3 that I can play with on my light/ultralight ice rods. I may have to try a couple different types/weights of line to see what I like.

So what do you guys think about the various ice lines? I know it was discussed somewhat in a thread I started a little while back, but only slightly. I think most of the talk was to do with the Trilene cold weather stuff but I don't recall for sure anymore (and I'm too lazy to look it up) but what about the braided ice lines like Fireline that The Fish King mentioned? Should I look at some of this stuff or just stick to the 'regular' lines? :confused:

WayneChristie
12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Honestly Ive never tried any of the ice lines, I have a baitcaster reel with 30 pound fireline Im going to use for pike, and a couple spinning reels with light regular mono Im going to use for smaller fish this winter. just getting into the whole ice fishing regimen this winter, kind of hard to get excited about freezing your tail off when you do it all day at work anyways. but this winter is going to be different.

Geezle
12-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Honestly Ive never tried any of the ice lines, I have a baitcaster reel with 30 pound fireline Im going to use for pike, and a couple spinning reels with light regular mono Im going to use for smaller fish this winter. just getting into the whole ice fishing regimen this winter, kind of hard to get excited about freezing your tail off when you do it all day at work anyways. but this winter is going to be different.

I'm with you on getting into the ice fishing this winter...it's been YEARS since I've spent time out on the ice, and then the line I used was whatever my dad put on the reel!

And after freezing my arse off at work, I figure I might as well do some fishing...might as well do something I enjoy while freezing it off!

As for the ice line, I recall somebody in the other thread of mine saying it's a PITA and gets quite stiff...I think they were maybe talking about the cold weather Trilene, but I may be mistaken.

Yesterday I was at Cambodian Tire and almost picked up a spool of 15lb Cold Weather that was on clearance for $2, but I popped open the box to look at it, and the stuff looked like blue weed whacker line! Seemed really thick, and looked like something that would kink very easily. Then I found that Maxima line, which looked much better. About 3x the price the Trilene was, but I'm pretty sure (hope!) it was a good choice.

mooseknuckle
12-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm with you on getting into the ice fishing this winter...it's been YEARS since I've spent time out on the ice, and then the line I used was whatever my dad put on the reel!

And after freezing my arse off at work, I figure I might as well do some fishing...might as well do something I enjoy while freezing it off!

As for the ice line, I recall somebody in the other thread of mine saying it's a PITA and gets quite stiff...I think they were maybe talking about the cold weather Trilene, but I may be mistaken.

Yesterday I was at Cambodian Tire and almost picked up a spool of 15lb Cold Weather that was on clearance for $2, but I popped open the box to look at it, and the stuff looked like blue weed whacker line! Seemed really thick, and looked like something that would kink very easily. Then I found that Maxima line, which looked much better. About 3x the price the Trilene was, but I'm pretty sure (hope!) it was a good choice.

I think you get what you pay for I;ve used the maxima and found it to work pretty good. I think you'll do just fine with it.

Geezle
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I think you get what you pay for I;ve used the maxima and found it to work pretty good. I think you'll do just fine with it.

Good to know :) If I can ever make the time, you and I need to get out on the ice or grab a beer or something soon :wave:

Bud Leight
12-02-2009, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=WayneChristie;446479] Ive stood side by side at ponds in Kananaskis, especially Mount Lorrette, and outfished everyone in sight.

You must have recieved lots of congrats.
Probably a ceremony on shore too.

The Fish King
12-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Well I prefer the fireline for a number of reasons. First off, four pound diameter fire line looks like floss. Second, instant hook ups...you can feel the smallest bump on the end of your line. Third, it doesnt chip off like mono does on the bottom or sides of the ice.
It also never seems to coil up on me.. Which has been a problem in the past with mono...having to switch it up every few months cause the coils just keep commin

Geezle
12-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Well I prefer the fireline for a number of reasons. First off, four pound diameter fire line looks like floss. Second, instant hook ups...you can feel the smallest bump on the end of your line. Third, it doesnt chip off like mono does on the bottom or sides of the ice.
It also never seems to coil up on me.. Which has been a problem in the past with mono...having to switch it up every few months cause the coils just keep commin
Gotcha :)

Just out of curiosity do you use regular fireline during the summer?

Wondering if there's much difference between regular Fireline and Fireline Ice :confused:

The Fish King
12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
ya I love the regular fireline. We were out at winefred lake one time and we were using 20lb test. Wrapped up in the prop and stop the motor! Now thats tough stuff! Never even broke off haha

I think the fireline ice just has an extra coating of wax on it to help stop it from abrasion with the ice.

WayneChristie
12-03-2009, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=WayneChristie;446479] Ive stood side by side at ponds in Kananaskis, especially Mount Lorrette, and outfished everyone in sight.

You must have recieved lots of congrats.
Probably a ceremony on shore too.

did your parents have any children with measurable IQ's?

Geezle
12-03-2009, 07:46 AM
http://www.untwistedvortex.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/dontfeedthetroll.jpg

jesse34567
12-03-2009, 07:46 AM
get some Berkley vanish flourocarbon in 6lb test

really strong line and sensitive

Fishfinder
12-03-2009, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=Bud Leight;446652]

did your parents have any children with measurable IQ's?

:lol::lol: Doubt it, aside from his few, negative, useless comments, he has named himself after a horrible horrible horrible beer!! :lol::lol: Sarry, could'nt help myself...Bud, ur a dud:wave:

calgarygringo
12-03-2009, 07:57 AM
I have been using 4 lb on my ultralight spool for years. It is great for those times in the small trout creeks, perch fishing, and walleye fishing at places like pcr. My FIL always asks me how come I feel the small bites better than he but it is the lighter line. I will swich a bit heavier for places like CVR in the winter but never get into the elevator cable lines unless I am trolling for gators at Chin in the summer. For most of the places 4lb works great and I also have 6lb on another spool for those times when I need for a bit larger fish day. tried 2 lb once and was great for perch and small brookie but do a little more larger fishing and lost a few jigs because of it so stick with 4 and 6. Makes more fun too.

mooseknuckle
12-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Good to know :) If I can ever make the time, you and I need to get out on the ice or grab a beer or something soon :wave:

Fore sure dude!! I guess the beer part is easy (anytime!) Hopefully with things getting nice and cold the ice should be getting thicker by the day you mentioned pike. If you don't need to keep em and want to find some big ones we'll head out to Wab ASAP. That being said anyone out there know the conditions? I don't have a copy of the regs in front of me but can assume beggining of the new year?

WayneChristie
12-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey Gutlicker,
Are you really sarry? You don't sound sarry. Is'nt there a sarry icon that you could use? I see how you could'nt help yourself, you've got some funny sh## going on.[/QUOTE]

your mamma take away your video game again??? poor kid, find something to do with your time, like learn how to count up to 5 without using your fingers

WayneChristie
12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
http://www.untwistedvortex.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/dontfeedthetroll.jpg

I see youve met him in person and got a pic, way to go :) :lol::lol::lol:

DarkAisling
12-03-2009, 08:01 PM
I didn't realize that 2lb and 4lb were tough to come by, but I honestly haven't really looked for them yet.

You'll probably find 2 and 4 at the Fishin' Hole. The one in Calgary carries 2 and 4 in a couple of different kinds. I don't remember what kind I purchased (I got 2 and 4), but I don't have any complaints about it.

noslack
12-03-2009, 08:18 PM
get some Berkley vanish flourocarbon in 6lb test

really strong line and sensitive

clear or the gold to clear...?

i run the one that changes color in water, but it's orange/gold when out of the water.

4lb test.

ghostguy6
12-03-2009, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=Geezle;446401]I didn't realize that 2lb and 4lb were tough to come by, but I honestly haven't really looked for them yet.
QUOTE]

Cambodian Tire has Fireline Crystal Mirco Ice 4lbs for $10. Im pretty sure WSS and the Fishin Hole have it as well.

allenford
12-04-2009, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=Geezle;446401]I didn't realize that 2lb and 4lb were tough to come by, but I honestly haven't really looked for them yet.
QUOTE]

Cambodian Tire has Fireline Crystal Mirco Ice 4lbs for $10. Im pretty sure WSS and the Fishin Hole have it as well.

same line in fishinhole, 6.99

seahawkfisher
12-04-2009, 04:41 PM
i'd be willin to be that Comrie hates the kind he's got... :rolleyes:
cheers

honker_clonker
12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Rio powerflex in 5x or 6x if they are really finicky. Can't be touched by other mono's for diameter. 5x is 0.006" and 6x is 0.005". Great knots and 0 memory. 5x is 5lb test and 6x is 3.4lb test.

Geezle
12-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Well I was at TFH today and picked up a couple rods, as well as a spool of 2lb Cajun Red Ice line. Hope this stuff is decent...never fished with 2lb before :)

WayneChristie
12-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Well I was at TFH today and picked up a couple rods, as well as a spool of 2lb Cajun Red Ice line. Hope this stuff is decent...never fished with 2lb before :)

just remember to let the rod absorb all the shock, and dont set the hook hard. and pray you dont hook a 35 pound pike :lol::lol::lol: dont forget to wet your knots or you wont have any strength at all left. in the line either :evilgrin:

Geezle
12-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't think I *can* set the hook too hard with the rod I got to go with that line. I grabbed an Ice Blue rod, and I think it was probably the lightest action rod they had...this thing is super bendy!

And yeah, I'll be praying I don't snag a monster pike with it!