PDA

View Full Version : Best lake for Perch

Typical
12-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Folks !

I was wondering which lake within a couple hrs from Edmonton would be my best bet to catch some decent size perch ?

I am planning a fishing trip with my 2 sons in a couple weeks, some decent size perch would be nice.

Thanks

unclebuck
12-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Beaver Lake by Lac La Biche is quite good. Lac La Biche lake is also quite good. You can walk out on both from the boat launches and catch a lot of reasonable sized perch.

kreator
12-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Lac La Biche, Jackson, Kinnaird, Blackett, Touchwood...

...if it were like 15 years ago I would have said Ironwood, Missawawi, Frenchman, Fork and Elinor.

allenford
12-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Hasse has some decent size perchs but you have to spend a little bit time to find them.

Albertafisher
12-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Last year spring lake had a really good non-stop perch action.

fisherwoman
12-03-2009, 09:02 PM
I haven't lived in that area for 5 or years, but we used to go to Baptice Lake near Athabasca. Had some nice big ones there back then.

Wulfespirit
12-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I haven't lived in that area for 5 or years, but we used to go to Baptice Lake near Athabasca. Had some nice big ones there back then.

No longer. The massive amounts of walleye in there have taken care of the perch.

Shmag
12-04-2009, 02:46 AM
Perch...what perch...there's no perch in Alberta!!!!:scared:

Prairieboy
12-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Has Missawawi ever rebounded since the winter kill about 10 years ago. I remember pulling 2+ lb'rs out with bellies full of fresh water shrimp.

Really was sad to see the water level drop so much in that area.

I dream of the day I get back out there but wasn't sure if it ever came back.

Cheers,
Prairieboy

addicted
12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Missawawi was awsome but has been closer to 19 years ago now that it was that way, a simple dam to bring water levels up in the outflow end of the lake could possiblly help to bring the water back up to a depth that would support the fishery again. 1990 was the last year we were there just before the drought destroyed that jem. :cry:

Shmag
12-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Missawawi was awsome but has been closer to 19 years ago now that it was that way, a simple dam to bring water levels up in the outflow end of the lake could possiblly help to bring the water back up to a depth that would support the fishery again. 1990 was the last year we were there just before the drought destroyed that jem. :cry:

Yep...we're getting old boy's. I think it was missawawi and fork that got me addicted

Prairieboy
12-05-2009, 05:48 PM

Yeah getting old I guess... and it was definately the lake that turned me on to ice fishing too. I guess it would have been late 70's and through the 80's that me and the old man used to drive straight out from the public area near the tracks and drive half way down the peninsula to 2+lb heaven and that was with 50 trucks and even motorhomes parked side-by-side. The summer 5-10LB pike fest on nothing but red devil spoons was awesome too.

The long skinny lake that ran on the west side of Missawawi was pretty good in the spring too.

Ahhh, the memories.

Cheers,
Prairieboy