PDA

View Full Version : suckers through the ice

buckfever
12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
so a lake across the street from my work has some suckers and i was thinking it could b a fun way of spending a lunches.

so does anyone caught suckers through the ice and how would i catch them?

thanks

buck

DuckBrat
12-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I've had luck with a ball of maggots on a single hook flutter spoon, similar to the small fish shaped russian hook.

npauls
12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Suckers love worms. so maybe try a small jig head with a chunk of worm or a pickerel rig with a worm and maybe a fish egg.

Nate

Tussell
12-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Yep the only way ive ever caught them ugly buggers was with a pickerel rig and worms.

Penner
12-04-2009, 08:49 AM
A plan old jig head tipped with a dew worm bounced right on the bottom. Ensure you allow the hook to lay right on the bottom once you have seen the suckers come in. Let them suck it in and bingo bango.

splitflame
12-04-2009, 08:52 AM
I have never caught one. Are they good to eat?

DustDee
12-04-2009, 09:21 AM
When I saw your post title, I thought you were going to tell a story about some suckers that went out on thin ice and fell through! But alas, you meant the fish.

nicemustang
12-04-2009, 09:26 AM
They are not good to eat IMO. Mushy, oily and gross!

Wolverine Boy
12-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Do not eat them!

Hunter Trav
12-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Catch a bunch, freeze them and use them to catch some big ass jacks!!! :D

splitflame
12-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Catch a bunch, freeze them and use them to catch some big ass jacks!!! :D

Sounds like a damn good idea. Is that even allowed?

allenford
12-04-2009, 11:18 AM
use dead sucker as a bait fish is allowed, as it is not a game fish.

Penner
12-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I have never caught one. Are they good to eat?

I've never tried but I hear they are not the best. Apparently very boney. I have seen a certain ethnic group catch and keep Suckers on a regular basis out of the North Sask. Thanks but no thanks.

nicemustang
12-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I remember back in the day in sask that we would catch them, keep them alive and hook them up on tip ups. A great way to catch pike. I'm sure it will work frozen too, but it was great when we could use live bait.

Duster
12-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Sucker is my favorite fish to catch. I cook em whole, the heart and liver are the tastiest!!

Paul C
12-04-2009, 02:25 PM
If they are good to eat, how to do prepare to eat and best method of cooking ?
Cheers :):D

WayneChristie
12-04-2009, 05:01 PM
people put down suckers, but do some research and you will see the have the same diet as trout. Ive eaten suckers from clean water, just boney, same as carp, but good meat. I wouldnt eat them out of the rivers because I wont eat anything out of the rivers in Alberta, Ive seen what goes into them.

fisherwoman
12-04-2009, 09:16 PM
people put down suckers, but do some research and you will see the have the same diet as trout. Ive eaten suckers from clean water, just boney, same as carp, but good meat. I wouldnt eat them out of the rivers because I wont eat anything out of the rivers in Alberta, Ive seen what goes into them.

Agreed. Safe to eat out of lakes, rivers no thanks. Not overly great eating, some people eat them smoked, I would try smoked, but never again fried. That was not good, too oily for me. Worms work great, too good sometimes.

Geezle
12-04-2009, 10:12 PM

Back in Sask when I was a kid we used to put down burbots too...called them 'dogfish' and usually left them out on the ice because they were bottom feeders.

It's funny how our views have changed on these guys :)

slingshotz
12-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Agreed. Safe to eat out of lakes, rivers no thanks. Not overly great eating, some people eat them smoked, I would try smoked, but never again fried. That was not good, too oily for me. Worms work great, too good sometimes.

They are nice smoked and Wayne is right, their diet is almost the same at trout. I caught them fly fishing with SJWs and boy do they fight hard on a light 4 wt.

The really annoying thing is that they are bony. It's funny how "lazy" some people are eating fish, if suckers had meat you could fillet off like perch and walleye, I doubt we would be having this conversation. However, just like pike it really matters what kind of water you catch them from as they can get that muddy taste like pike can. From good cold waters, sucker meat will rival any game fish. But overall they do probably make much better bait :)

WayneChristie
12-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Back in Sask when I was a kid we used to put down burbots too...called them 'dogfish' and usually left them out on the ice because they were bottom feeders.

It's funny how our views have changed on these guys :)

I remember at Buffalo Pound lake, seeing piles of ling frozen on the ice just tossed away, what a waste, if they had tried one Im sure the people would have gone around and picked up everyone elses leavings for sure. I heard they were real cod, so I tried one eventually in Calgary, and have eaten every one Ive caught since then, the one fish I wont throw back.

go-big-or-go-home
12-04-2009, 11:55 PM
thats pretty much wat ling is man, fresh water cod, fresh water fish and chips is all lol

WayneChristie
12-05-2009, 08:19 AM
thats pretty much wat ling is man, fresh water cod, fresh water fish and chips is all lol

you bet, and the best fish and chips you can get anywhere, right out of the water, not hanging around on a bed of ice in a truck for days.
About suckers, I recall reading about the settlers canning them, and with the right seasonings the suckers were supposed to taste just like salmon. That would take care of the bones too.

Geezle
12-05-2009, 08:22 AM
you bet, and the best fish and chips you can get anywhere, right out of the water, not hanging around on a bed of ice in a truck for days.
About suckers, I recall reading about the settlers canning them, and with the right seasonings the suckers were supposed to taste just like salmon. That would take care of the bones too.

Actually I just finished reading a book about fishing in Western Canada, and they make mention of canning and pickling 'coarse' fish, and apparently both methods are supposed to work quite well.

I think the book may have even had a couple recipes for doing it...

slingshotz
12-05-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.southendwalleyeslayer.com/sucker2007.pdf

Almost every possible recipe you can think of with suckers. It's strange how regional differences occur as suckers are fairly well regarded in Michigan and other places.