PDA

View Full Version : Marmish ice jigs

Mr.goldeye
12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Are these jigs any good? There super light so a perch or whitefish should inhale them easy. If the are good were can I find them in edmonton

http://www.marmish.ca/

WayneChristie
12-04-2009, 06:24 PM
jigs look ok, cant see spending 40 bucks on that rod tho, much as I like super lite gear for pike, I wouldnt want to try hauling in a 20 pounder with that setup!!!! might be fun for perch or whites tho, but then you can use a stick for the line and hold the line over your fingertip and get the same result!

honker_clonker
12-04-2009, 06:48 PM
If you havent used a marmish your missing out. WAY more sensitive than your line over your finger. The jigs are awesome, have caught lots of fish on them and a few of them are my go to lures. If you want some good info on ice fishing check out iceshanty.com . its a great site with TONS of information. I had the privelige of learning how to fish the marmish from the guys in the videos and fishing has not be the same since then. I've had people get mad at me when i use my marmish rod. They are leaving and i ask if i can use their holes and pull a half dozen fish before they get packed up. I've had my marmishs since they came out and it has changed the way i fish. The fishing hole, wholesale sports and im pretty sure the fishing center has them. i would suggest watching the videos, following the instructions. They have made me catch more fish, i hope they do the same for you.

Bud Leight
12-04-2009, 07:57 PM
much as I like super lite gear for pike

Originally Posted by WayneChristie
I have a baitcaster reel with 30 pound fireline Im going to use for pike

Geezle
12-04-2009, 08:03 PM
I was curious what those odd little rods are all about...guess now I know :)

As has already been said, it seems like it would be good for the smaller species, but I don't know about handling a big pike with that setup!

WayneChristie
12-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by WayneChristie
I have a baitcaster reel with 30 pound fireline Im going to use for pike

and I also have a microlight I use for pike with 4 pound line, but not thru the ice.

Bud Leight
12-04-2009, 08:10 PM
I've had people get mad at me when i use my marmish rod. They are leaving and i ask if i can use their holes and pull a half dozen fish before they get packed up.

Wow, a half dozen. You must be pretty good.

Geezle
12-04-2009, 08:38 PM
jigs look ok, cant see spending 40 bucks on that rod tho, much as I like super lite gear for pike, I wouldnt want to try hauling in a 20 pounder with that setup!!!! might be fun for perch or whites tho, but then you can use a stick for the line and hold the line over your fingertip and get the same result!
How about $25? I see TFH has them for that price. Whenever I manage to stumble down there I can bring one for ya if it's something your interested in :)

Paul C
12-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Are these jigs any good? There super light so a perch or whitefish should inhale them easy. If the are good were can I find them in edmonton

http://www.marmish.ca/
Yes Marmish Lures are a deadly lure. I took a marmish lure and marmish strike indicator and use the set up on the buzz stix to catch Rainbows. I met the owner of the company a number of years ago and he demonstrated the barley hook. I was surprised to see how effective those tiny lures are. A few years later I went looking for the barley hook but could not find it. I went down to the factory and requested that he make me sixty of those deadly lures. I showed him what the old chewed up lure looked like and he agreed to run a special production for me.If somebody wants some just pm me. The eletric rod makes the lure move like a bug in the water.
Cheers :):D

WayneChristie
12-04-2009, 10:56 PM
How about $25? I see TFH has them for that price. Whenever I manage to stumble down there I can bring one for ya if it's something your interested in :)

I will wait on that a while, this is going to be my first serious ice fishing season, if I can get into the whites and big perch locally I will give one a shot, have to see if I can find them first. Little bit of snow falling now, I think the worst of the blizzard has blown itself out over Calgary and we got lucky, so Im will be checking the ice first thing in the morning, when I wake up :)

Geezle
12-05-2009, 05:45 AM
I will wait on that a while, this is going to be my first serious ice fishing season, if I can get into the whites and big perch locally I will give one a shot, have to see if I can find them first. Little bit of snow falling now, I think the worst of the blizzard has blown itself out over Calgary and we got lucky, so Im will be checking the ice first thing in the morning, when I wake up :)

Wicked, hopefully all goes well for you this morning :)

I'm just sitting here with my coffee looking outside and trying to figure out if I *really* want to go out there and work today, or if I can get the wife to 'allow' me to take another day off :innocent:

Now that I (sorta) know what those little rods are about I'd kinda like to try one out, but like you, I think I should try to catch a few fish on the gear I already have before I go spending more money :o

2big4u
12-05-2009, 10:43 AM
My son caught a 29" pike last winter on a Marmish.. His first and only one. The fact it was a Marmish had little to do with it. the reels are much like a fly rod reel, use it to hold line and fight by hand... the sensitivity is great we use them to jig for minnows in the summer the rod indicates anything from a 1" minnow up ...

We will continue to use them.

WayneChristie
12-05-2009, 10:58 AM
My son caught a 29" pike last winter on a Marmish.. His first and only one. The fact it was a Marmish had little to do with it. the reels are much like a fly rod reel, use it to hold line and fight by hand... the sensitivity is great we use them to jig for minnows in the summer the rod indicates anything from a 1" minnow up ...

We will continue to use them.

the more I see about them, the more interesting they seem. Id like to see one in use in person, but they would be good in the canoe for perch Im sure. Thought I was the only one who had ever fished for minnows!!! :D Whatever it takes, its still fishing , gotta love it! As for pike, when you mainly fish where theres a good chance of hooking a 30 pound plus, Id still rather not try and land one of those by handlining thanks. Saw a kid in BC one summer fishing that way for carp, and saw the bone in his finger when he did get one and it almost took his finger off when it ran. :sick:

Paul C
12-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Those tiny "barley hook" are work well for trout, white fish,perch and walleye. When you use the jiging techinque shown on the web site it really works well.

jrcw
12-05-2009, 02:47 PM
With the Marmish jigs, what are you tipping them with for walleye?

honker_clonker
12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
not sure about paul but i use giant mealworms or small minnow on marmish jigs for walleye

Paul C
12-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Minnows work good for walleye but they also like 3 maggots to cover the small barbless hook. Making the lure rise and fall slowly is key to trigger a strike.

tatonkagp
12-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I used one of the maggot lures today, absolutly awesome for whites and perch.

Paul C
12-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I caught these hogs using marmish tackle and 4 lb test line.
Cheers :D

WayneChristie
12-06-2009, 07:23 PM
after catching lots of little perch today, Im starting to think one of their rods might be just the ticket for perch and pond trout. I may be convinced yet!

AlbertaAngler
12-06-2009, 09:31 PM
after catching lots of little perch today, Im starting to think one of their rods might be just the ticket for perch and pond trout. I may be convinced yet!

I going to definately give Enchant pond a try this winter. You can try mine when I'm down if you want. It's great for perch.

npauls
12-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Well wayne I think I will be picking one or 2 of them up this week if they have them at wholesale here in lethbridge. I can let you know how they are when I try them on riverstone and nich sheran here in lethbridge for the thousands of perch that are down there. I will also pick up some of their jigs and give them a test to. If you are ever down my way in lethbridge looking to fish on a weekend let me know and I can head out with you and show you some spots on the city ponds to catch some perch.

Nate

WayneChristie
12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I going to definately give Enchant pond a try this winter. You can try mine when I'm down if you want. It's great for perch.

let me know when you are heading down. should get a bunch of people on it, clean up some of those little perch. I did get an 8 incher today tho, best out of about 30. still rainbows in there too. Some of the perch were full of eggs, so I think they are there to stay

npauls
12-06-2009, 10:17 PM
When I was at enchant this summer I was hammering 8-10 inchers on the fly rod. Try heading to the opposite side of the lake from the beach. There was a nice weed bed out there about 15-30 feet off of shore and drill some holes. should hammer some nice fatties around there. I will be out on enchant on christmas eve and possible christmas day and maybe boxing day so if you see a blue clam single man hut stop by and say hi.

Nate

WayneChristie
12-06-2009, 10:23 PM
When I was at enchant this summer I was hammering 8-10 inchers on the fly rod. Try heading to the opposite side of the lake from the beach. There was a nice weed bed out there about 15-30 feet off of shore and drill some holes. should hammer some nice fatties around there. I will be out on enchant on christmas eve and possible christmas day and maybe boxing day so if you see a blue clam single man hut stop by and say hi.

Nate

I will do that, I only went abut 25 or 30 feet off the parking lot today, not enough ice for me to be brave yet :lol: boxing day might be a go for me, too far off to plan yet. I fished your spot this fall a couple times, got good numbers but small, but I was fishing on top with a bobber. still rainbows in there too, at least one more, ones in my fridge right now :D the other one got beat out by a perch. they seem to like copper wireworms with gulp maggots, the trout.
the road around the pond was drifted in pretty deep, had to lock the hubs just to get past the museum today.

allenford
12-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I was curious what those odd little rods are all about...guess now I know :)

As has already been said, it seems like it would be good for the smaller species, but I don't know about handling a big pike with that setup!

well either you are going to land it within 20 minutes, or you just simply lose a hook...