PDA

View Full Version : Brooks area

WayneChristie
12-05-2009, 08:17 AM
anyone planning on fishing the area today may want to wait a while, the blizzard finally made its way down here later last night, and its nasty right now. so much for getting out this morning, looks like I will have to wait a few hours til the wind dies off. :cry:

WayneChristie
12-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Looks like the vertical snow has stopped, at least in my area, but the horizontal stuff just keeps coming. The wind is crazy hard, looks like the day will be a write off for ice fishing , at least for now. Visibility going from 1/2 mile to arms length so I wouldnt advise hitting the road this way yet.

slingshotz
12-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Due to the crazy weather on Friday we didn't get out to McGregor. I was mighty annoyed as I didn't have to work and all I could do was fiddle around the house :mad:. We are going to try and head to McGregor tomorrow so hopefully it'll clear up by tomorrow. Let me know if you read this tonight how the conditions are around your area Wayne.

WayneChristie
12-05-2009, 04:36 PM
as of right now its still blowing like crazy, visbility is up and down and lots of big drifts. its supposed to die down tomorrow and not much wind the rest of the week. Its not really that cold, just a high windchill right now. Id be on the ice right now but as soon as I popped up my tent I think I would be on my way to the States!!!! or it would anyways :lol:

fisherwoman
12-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Too nasty out this weekend, but maybe by next weekend things will be frozen and less windy!

WayneChristie
12-05-2009, 10:17 PM
nasty wind or not, Im on thei ce tomorrow :) the wind is supposed to be mild all week, hopefully it lasts til next weekend

madatter
12-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Forecast for Wednesday is looking pretty good.
I am planning on getting out to Clear Lake and maybe PCR......

WayneChristie
12-06-2009, 07:22 AM
must be nice, of course the weather is going to be decent, because most of us have to work :) The wind doesnt seem too bad right now, its just frikkin cold. Im waiting for daylight so I can see what its like, then heading for probably Enchant and slay some perch :D finally on the ice!!!!

WayneChristie
12-06-2009, 07:43 AM
looks like the wind is still low, its minus 15 now, going up:huh: to a high of minus 16 today with some scattered flurries. I believe I will do some fishing :D
by the way, anyone ever use mice for pike bait? got an endless supply at work and the odd one at home too, may as well get some use out of them :lol:

fourty12
12-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Do you mean real mice? Would love to see that in action. Let me know if it works!

noslack
12-06-2009, 08:05 AM
looks like the wind is still low, its minus 15 now, going up:huh: to a high of minus 16 today with some scattered flurries. I believe I will do some fishing :D
by the way, anyone ever use mice for pike bait? got an endless supply at work and the odd one at home too, may as well get some use out of them :lol:

I hear you about waiting to see what it looks like outside....i've been up for 45 minutes and not daring to go outside. -28 with windchill. yup we are getting a high of -20 today...

oh well winds wont be bad. 10km's.

as for mice?? back in Ontario we'd used them for bass. great topwater.

but in winter???

WayneChristie
12-06-2009, 08:14 AM
the way the pike eat anything around here I bet mice would be a good idea too :lol: I just filled the tank on my big kerosene heater so the temp doesnt matter, Im going to warm up the truck and ice fishing I go. YAY finally!

thumper
12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
We used to use live mice for pike and musky when I was kid back east. We used a large treble with a long shank, and a fat 'mailing' elastic band to hold the shank snug to the mouse - never even pierced the mouse with the hook.
Just lob the mouse out into the lily pads and just keep up the slack as he'd swim towards show. Pike couldn't resist them, but the odd mouse would escape both the hook 'harness' and the pike - with us kids cheering him on!

Something like using live grasshoppers for trout - but on a bigger scale:lol:

ironkid96
12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
wayne what lakes around brooks to you plan on visiting this week?

im a brooks resident and curious to see what lakes your fishing this early. fished here lots over the years and i dont know if im brave enough to venture out onto any of them yet....

have any thickness reports for us?

slingshotz
12-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Was out today in the howling wind at McGregor. Ice is a good 6-8 inches but I didn't venture that far out from the dam shore. We saw one tent setup a good 100 feet out from the dam so the ice must be pretty decent out there too.

WayneChristie
12-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I hit the pond at Enchant. thinnest ice Ive ever been out on, kinda scary but it was a good 5 inches anyways, maybe 6. I still feel like Im going up and down a bit, the whole pond seemed to be floating. If the wife had been along Im thinking she would have run for shore a few times, probably not even stopping to unzip the door :lol::lol: Im going to try Scope I think next weekend, see if I can get some different types of fish, should be nice and thick by then I hope. If you want to tag along let me know.

WayneChristie
12-06-2009, 09:49 PM
We used to use live mice for pike and musky when I was kid back east. We used a large treble with a long shank, and a fat 'mailing' elastic band to hold the shank snug to the mouse - never even pierced the mouse with the hook.
Just lob the mouse out into the lily pads and just keep up the slack as he'd swim towards show. Pike couldn't resist them, but the odd mouse would escape both the hook 'harness' and the pike - with us kids cheering him on!

Something like using live grasshoppers for trout - but on a bigger scale:lol:

I will have to try that in the spring. speaking of which, theres one running around by my feet right now, love the country life :lol: