View Full Version : hook set tipup??

munyee4321
12-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Has anyone evertried the "hookset tip up?"

wonder if its as good as they say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kipKbakotJU

tallieho
12-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I haven't used it,very intereseting design..I don't no if would be legal,with the spring action..

Geezle
12-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Looks like it'd be good for bigger fish like pike, but I hate to see what that spring would do to the mouth of a perch!

Off in the Bushes
12-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I haven't used it,very intereseting design..I don't no if would be legal,with the spring action..

General Sportfishing Restrictions
It Is Unlawful To:

Use a hook that is not a barbless hook. (Click here for definition of barbless hook.)
Use more than one line when angling into open water.
Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.
While angling be further than 30 m from any line in the water.
Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).
Use a lure in angling with more than three hooks as part of it.
Use a hook with more than three points on a common shaft (see Important Definitions).
Release live fish or live fish eggs into any waters except back to the waters from which they were caught.
Possess live CRAYFISH.
Possess live BAIT FISH.
Possess live GAME FISH unless the fish have been lawfully caught by angling and are within 100 m of the waters from which they were caught.
Use live fish for bait.
Set out or use bait to attract fish unless it is attached to a hook used in angling.
Use scented lures or scented weights where bait bans are in effect.
Fish by snagging.
Possess fish taken by snagging.
Possess a snagging device while angling.
Use gaffs, gaff hooks or spring-loaded hooks.
Use snares, firearms, or any device to attract, stun or kill fish by causing an explosion or electrical current in the water.
Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling.
Clean fish for transport home in a manner that is not authorized. (see Cleaning and Transporting Fish below.)

It this what you ment, I have not watched the video to know.

honker_clonker
12-06-2009, 09:25 AM
I would not call this a spring loaded hook, this is more of a downrigger set up. I have an old spring loaded hook and it would be the fishing equivalent of a bear trap. Scary little device.

loopyalcsel
12-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Its not the hook that is spring loaded but the rod holder representing the action of your elbow setting the hook.

Mudslide
12-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I bought one of these at Bass Pro today Gonna try it out in the next week. I'll give a report when I do. They look like a great idea.

Kingfisher
12-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I made a spring loaded tip up about 20 years ago. I used a rat trap and strapped my home made rod to the trap. When the fish hit the bait my rat trap snapped back and set the hook. Then the fish could take off and I had a reel on it so I could let the fish run and take line. I actually still have the contraption in my garage still. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and show it to you guys.

But the reason I haven't used it is because I got a warning from F/W. They said it was spring loaded and was illegal. The guy though it was inovative and let me off with a warning. So I brought it home and stuck it on the shelf.

Not sure what they'd think of the spring set tip up. But it sure sounds like something that would be usefull. One thing to keep in mind is that just becasue BP sells it, doesn't mean it's legal here.

Rob

Mudslide
12-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey Rob I have a friend named Arne that told me about those rat trap rigs years ago. Maybe he was talking about yours. Anyway I would love to see how that works because I think there is now a precedent for allowing these kinds of devices in Alberta. No different than a downrigger as far as I can see. Actually better for the fish because using these with a quick strike rig is going to avoid gut hooking under size fish which have to be released anyway.

I made a spring loaded tip up about 20 years ago. I used a rat trap and strapped my home made rod to the trap. When the fish hit the bait my rat trap snapped back and set the hook. Then the fish could take off and I had a reel on it so I could let the fish run and take line. I actually still have the contraption in my garage still. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and show it to you guys.

But the reason I haven't used it is because I got a warning from F/W. They said it was spring loaded and was illegal. The guy though it was inovative and let me off with a warning. So I brought it home and stuck it on the shelf.

Not sure what they'd think of the spring set tip up. But it sure sounds like something that would be usefull. One thing to keep in mind is that just becasue BP sells it, doesn't mean it's legal here.

Rob

Geezle
12-07-2009, 04:57 PM
For anybody who's not near BPS, they have them at TFH as well :)

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3866239&enlargeSkuz=25819&C=072&D=07&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=072