PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Burbot.

BullDog15
12-06-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm not an ice fisherman but would like to try for some Burbot during there spawn. I want to try Stergeon Lake (ValleyView) or Musreau Lake (Grande Prairie) and looking for any advice to point me in the right direction:confused:

albertadeer
12-06-2009, 02:33 PM
slave or sturgeon are your best bet...i dont know we how to catch them...but we catch alot on worms, leeches and large minnows near the bottom on tip-ups. We smashed them at lac st anne, and i caught a 16lb one at snipe lake.

albertadeer
12-06-2009, 02:34 PM
also, the best eating fish EVER!!!!!

Walleyes
12-06-2009, 02:41 PM
also, the best eating fish EVER!!!!!

The best ??? good yah but the best,,, I don't know about that one.

fish on
12-06-2009, 06:52 PM
nothing beats walleye cheeks wrapped in bacon

Duster
12-06-2009, 08:43 PM
X2 albertadeer best fresh water fish ever!!

BullDog15
12-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I love walleye but I think Ling beats it for taste and texture. I do however agree with FishOn, Walleye cheeks are great, especially when boiled first. Anyone know where on Stergeon and at what depth I should try??

bisonhunter
12-07-2009, 03:28 PM
i did a bunch of research last year on this subject, and was told 30-40 ft of water is optimum. so i tried it out and they weren't lying. first time out i caught 6 10lber's in under an hour, but great slave lake is nothing less then world class when it comes to the fishing. i used a 1/2 oz jighead and ciscoe belly, i'm sure minnows would be a fine substitute. just kept bouncing it off the bottom they seem to like the noise and silt it kicks up. they actually hit it pretty hard and fought well too(6lb test) i don't have a clue about the lakes you mentioned, but good luck to you.

XprtHntr
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Havent tried them . . . . supposed to taste like lobster

SwampShark
12-11-2009, 09:16 AM
They are often called "ling cod" for a reason. They have white, flakey meat like cod from the grocery store. Clean them quickly and not in the wife's kitchen because they can stink up the whole house. I think they have some kind of glands in their skin so get rid of it.

Where abouts did you find them in Lac St. Anne (or is this a secret spot)?

Newspeak
12-11-2009, 09:47 AM
^^

Only fresh water species of Cod there is. Makes excellent fish and chips.

deg72
12-11-2009, 11:24 AM
where does a guy go on snipe to catch them this time of year

madatter
12-11-2009, 12:23 PM
They are often called "ling cod" for a reason. They have white, flakey meat like cod from the grocery store. Clean them quickly and not in the wife's kitchen because they can stink up the whole house. I think they have some kind of glands in their skin so get rid of it.

Where abouts did you find them in Lac St. Anne (or is this a secret spot)?

It actually amazes me that a fish that looks that ugly and smells that ugly can taste so good!!!
Just kept a bunch out of PCR and one stinks bad enough...let alone a half dozen:D

tatonkagp
12-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Burbot at sturgeon, I have caught them on the humps. hard to get to unless you have a sled or quad after this weekend the ice should be thick enough to drive on. Haven't caught one at snipe yet, but if there is 16 lbsers in there I am going to set a tip up for them. Aquick question when you set your tip op for them do you set it like right on bottom or about a foot up?

BC HUNTER
12-11-2009, 04:53 PM
EASY TO CLEAN semi freeze put a headless nail at eye level
put head on nail score arond fin use two pair pliers pull dow
pop gut with thumb boil a bit to get rid of oil deep fry in beer batte
awsome!!

jacob1202
12-29-2009, 06:48 PM
12 ft... use a smelt... same way u catch a pike... but leave it only 6 inches off bottom