PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Camera

ruttnbuckcojack
12-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm looking at buying a camera for this years ice fishing season but not really sure whats good and whats not, I've heard bad things about visablity issues in cloudy lakes, camera's leaking and fill up with water and functionablity on cold days. If any one has any helpful opions sure could use a good piece of advise
Thanks

AlbertaAngler
12-08-2009, 11:07 AM
First the clarity issue: The camera won't make a big difference here. In general the lakes are much clearer in the winter. I've only been to one where I've had visibility problems with the camera in the winter. How the lights are positioned on the camera can supposedly make a difference I haven't compared them so I can't say.

I use my camera all winter and have had no issues with cold (knock on wood)

Also I've had no problems with the housing filling up (again knock on wood)

I have had a problem with the tv quitting. I sent it back and they sent out a new one.

So bottom line if you get a known brand camera from a dealer that will accept a return then you should be fine

ruttnbuckcojack
12-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for your advice, do you have or seen the quad view or 360* camera's

AlbertaAngler
12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for your advice, do you have or seen the quad view or 360* camera's

Sorry can't help you there. I've no experience with either one. I heard the 1st generation cabelas's 360 was not very good, but they have come out with a "new and improved" camera. Time will tell.

Bear Ballz
12-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I've run this unit for 2 years (5.5") and it's worked perfectly, no complaints and the price is right. The only thing I recommend is a tri-pod so you can control where your camera is pointing. I got mine from the fishin hole.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0043175019011a&navCount=1&podId=0043175&parentId=cat21400&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat21400&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21400&hasJS=true

fish on
12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
good investment

can be torture watching the fish watch your hook but never the less a good investment

sonny
12-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I have used a Aqua-View setup for 10 years and never had a problem with the unit, i have fished most lakes in southern Alta. and in general water clarity has been ok, It is great to actully see the fish, how they respond to what bait you put in front of them, I have probibly learned more about walleye fishing using a camera than any other method that i have used. Good Luck.

bushnell
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
The quad cams have had an issue to leak. Most are good but a few do leak. The Fishtv's have been pretty good and are a decent price,they can be found for about $130,plus batteries.The best ones I have dealt with are the Marcum brand.I own 2 models of the Aqua -view and have not had any problems with them.

fishstix
12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
With those cameras, can you record the images or is it just real time?

Fishstix!!

bushnell
12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
On most models yes you can record. they have a video out on them. The only one that I know for sure that you can't is the fishtv 5" model.

ruttnbuckcojack
12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks I was kinda leaning towards the Aqua Vu thats probaly the way ill go with a tripod

bushnell
12-08-2009, 05:55 PM
If you can find it use the Marcum camera compass. Works better and no little ball to drop down the hole.

seahawkfisher
12-08-2009, 06:09 PM
If you can find it use the Marcum camera compass. Works better and no little ball to drop down the hole.

lol good thing they're cheap cuz i've gone through a few

cheers

tchow
12-08-2009, 09:51 PM
The Marcum Camera Compass will be the most economical to use with UW Cams. I know that they're under $20 Up from that, is a Mo-Pod. Pricier round $125.00 and run on Batteries or to a 12 volt. Has a remote so its just one operation to set the Camera into place.
Lots of choices to pick for UW Cams. The higher end Cams have Sony conponents. Resulting in a much clearer and sharper picture.
Expect the prices to be over $500

AlbertaAngler
12-09-2009, 07:28 AM
The higher end Cams have Sony conponents. Resulting in a much clearer and sharper picture.
Expect the prices to be over $500

The 7" cabelas camera I have uses the sony camera and was less than $200 delivered. It is a rebadged marcum vs350.

I use the marcum camera compass as well.

iliketrout
12-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I just bought the Fish TV 7" and although I haven't been out to try it out yet I have noticed one thing that annoys me. The 12V power adapter on the front is a different sized plug than the plug on the back that you can use so you don't have to take the battery out to charge it. I thought I may have had a defective one so I went to WSS and we opened a couple of different ones and they were all the same.

The Aqua Vu charger I bought will not plug into the back, although it is what they recommended I try. And, the actual Fish TV charger from the website is unavailable for purchase in Canada. Not sure why, but the website won't let you ship outside of the USA. So now I have to go to The Source and look for a universal plug adapter.

Is this the Ice Pod for positioning the camera? http://redrockstore.com/Catalog/index.php?crn=133&rn=1434&action=show_detail

Anyone know where you can get one around here? I haven't seen it (although I haven't been specifically looking for it either).

nicemustang
12-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Ah you bought a separate charger? You know you could use just a regular battery charger, right? And didn't the charger have clips to clip right onto the battery?

Bear Ballz
12-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Is this the Ice Pod for positioning the camera? http://redrockstore.com/Catalog/index.php?crn=133&rn=1434&action=show_detail

Thats the one I use, works good and its cheap

iliketrout
12-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah I bought the separate one without clips. You just have to undo the velcro flap at the rear of the case and plug it in. That way you don't have to open the battery panel at the back.

I want the "Universal Batter Charger" found here: http://www.getfishtv.com/accessories/

I guess the Fish TV and Aqua Vu have different sized plugs, even though voltage and amperage are the same and it's the same manufacturer. :huh:

nicemustang
12-09-2009, 10:07 AM
THe charger with the clips is available at the fishing hole for dirt cheap (under $20 i think). That's where you should be going.

iliketrout
12-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I'll check it out after work.

nicemustang
12-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Not everything can be found and solved online. Sometimes you need to go to the store and look around :D:D

iliketrout
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I usually only go to the fishin' hole as a last resort for a few reasons. They're the ones who sold me the charger that doesn't fit in the first place and now they won't take it back because it's open and I bought it in the summer after I got the FishTV on sale at BPS.

WSS and BPS won't order in a charger from Nature Vision even though they buy stuff from them all the time.

So my only real option is to buy a reducing adapter to get the original charger with the oversized plug to work.

And, although I've asked a few questions on here for on-line things, I do go to these places all the time. My only problem right now is that I've been banned from BPS and WSS until after Christmas by my wife :lol:. I guess she bought most of my presents from there! But she didn't say anything about the fishin hole.

Mudslide
12-09-2009, 11:46 AM
If you are going to buy a charger you should get the Marcum Versa digital three stage charger. I bought mine at the fishn hole for 25% off on Boxing day. They are more expensive but won't burn up your battery and they have a digital readout. The standard ones are slower and not automatic which means you have to guess when it's fully charged and will continue to pump current into the battery after it is fully charged. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat21400&id=0075440021169a&navCount=2&podId=0075440&parentId=cat21400&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=2UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

I usually only go to the fishin' hole as a last resort for a few reasons. They're the ones who sold me the charger that doesn't fit in the first place and now they won't take it back because it's open and I bought it in the summer after I got the FishTV on sale at BPS.

WSS and BPS won't order in a charger from Nature Vision even though they buy stuff from them all the time.

So my only real option is to buy a reducing adapter to get the original charger with the oversized plug to work.

And, although I've asked a few questions on here for on-line things, I do go to these places all the time. My only problem right now is that I've been banned from BPS and WSS until after Christmas by my wife :lol:. I guess she bought most of my presents from there! But she didn't say anything about the fishin hole.

nicemustang
12-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Or just spend 20-30$ at CT and get a regular battery charger, and then you can use it for your car, boat, etc.

bushnell
12-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Just to let you know, the ice pod does not work well with the fish tv's. The cable is thinner than the aqua-view's which it was designed for. The ball is to loose for the cable,and the camera slides down.

bobalong1952
12-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Quick question on the fish tv. I bought one last year-worked OK the first time out. Was in shallow water (10-15 ft) with little snow. Later in the year with more snow I couldn't see a picture at all, even just below the surface. Anyone have similar results?

bushnell
12-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Did it work at all after that,at all? Or does it just do that sometimes? If it is an ongoing problem I would look at it as a warranty problem.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I've run this unit for 2 years (5.5") and it's worked perfectly, no complaints and the price is right. The only thing I recommend is a tri-pod so you can control where your camera is pointing. I got mine from the fishin hole.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0043175019011a&navCount=1&podId=0043175&parentId=cat21400&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat21400&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21400&hasJS=true

I have the Exact same Camera but the 7 '' screen awesome camera works great for Ice fishing or in the summer off the boat . I wasnt willing to pay 500 dollars for an Aqua view , but The Cabela's camera is awesome . Ive had mine this will be the 3rd year .And then get a tripod about 20 bucks from most fishing shops have them has a plastic stopper that attaches to the the Cord and have at er .

bobalong1952
12-11-2009, 05:22 AM
Did it work at all after that,at all? Or does it just do that sometimes? If it is an ongoing problem I would look at it as a warranty problem.

I used it 3 times last year. First time early in the year in shallow water, not much snow, you could see fairly well. Later in the year in with lots of snow cover, you could not see anything on the screen. It works outside of the water. I was wondering if there has been anyone having similar problem, maybe its too dark for the type of lights on this camera or ??? This is my first experience with an underwater camera. Maybe its just like they say-"You get what you pay for."

AlbertaAngler
12-11-2009, 07:45 AM
I've haven't had a problem being able to see even with fairly thick snow. I've only used the lights on the camera a night and then you can onlys see a few feet so I usually just pull it up. What is lots of snow cover? It will really depend on how much light is penetrating the snow pack.

nicemustang
12-11-2009, 08:58 AM
In my experience, the 5" FishTV camera is low end compared to the 7" camera. it's different design and the 7" seems to have better quality. That being said, i have the 5" and it's ok throughout the year, but it all depends on water clarity. And, i never can use mine outside in the light, only really can see it inside a tent. It doesn't not work well at night either, unless you drop a glo light down the hole LOL but I'm not sure if that's legal here in ab.