PDA

View Full Version : not too cold to fish

WayneChristie
12-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I decided to hit the pond at Enchant again today, since it was too cold to work :D it was beautiful with sunshine and no wind. I drilled a hole, then watched as cracks shot out in all directions like a spider web, with me the fly in the middle. The ice was about 8 or so inches thick now, so I didnt fall in, but I wasnt sweating from the auger! Set up the tent, and only put in 2 anchors, didnt even need those really. I figure about 40 perch, give or take a handful. Did have at least one trout hitting my maggot a few times , but didnt hook it, or them if it was more than one. With the sun and the cold, it sounded like a huge summer thunderstorm, the ice was cracking and bobbing up and down like crazy the whole time. I was really hoping the theory that the cracks freeze instantly was true, because I was on my feet more than once.:lol: I could actually feel the cracks forming, right through the wooden floor! Lots of adrenaline for sure, Im really hoping the ice is 3 feet thick soon :lol: I took my heater, but in the black shack out of the wind I didnt even bother with it today. It was another interesting day on the ice, with a gain of 2 inches in thickness over 2 days , by the weekend it should be a little more to my liking.

Jack&7
12-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Wayne...

Glad to hear the ice conditions report. I am thinking about a weekend trip as well.

Where did you get the ice anchors from? I am looking for those too.

WayneChristie
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
the anchors came with my pop up. another reason I like it, got a set of 8 included. I think they have them at TFH and WSS too. they actually work great, it was very windy Sunday and the tent didnt move an inch

nicemustang
12-08-2009, 06:38 PM
BPS, Fishin hole or WSS has those ancors.

Great report wayne. anything below -7 or something like that, 1" of ice formed a day until 9-10" of ice forms, then it slows down considerably.

npauls
12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey wayne glad to hear the perch are eating alot. Did you try the other side of the pond this time or stick to the same area as sunday? I ordered a marmish rod last night since whole sale doesnt carry them anymore. I will let you know how they are if I get it before the weekend.

Nate

goldscud
12-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Man, I should have never told you about this pond. You are addicted now...even skipping work :lol:
You just need to catch 10,000 more so that those little trout will have some more food to eat.
I've heard of giant cracks forming under "larger" fishermen...just like Sundancefisher at our neighborhood lake. I always keep my distance from guys with significant bulktatude :scared:.
Good to hear you are getting out lots. It's almost time for us to catch some city perch.

Geezle
12-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a good day...beats the snot out of being at work! :D

pecker
12-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Man, I should have never told you about this pond. You are addicted now...even skipping work :lol:
You just need to catch 10,000 more so that those little trout will have some more food to eat.
I've heard of giant cracks forming under "larger" fishermen...just like Sundancefisher at our neighborhood lake. I always keep my distance from guys with significant bulktatude :scared:.
Good to hear you are getting out lots. It's almost time for us to catch some city perch.

thanks for the tip on larger fisherman - i'll always send Drano out there first.

WayneChristie
12-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I felt pretty heavy today, with all the crashing and booming, more than once I almost lightened the load :lol::lol: had the door open a couple of times, figured I could go back for the tent in a few weeks :D I know I will get used to it, but Id rather ride waves when Im in a boat.

WayneChristie
12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey wayne glad to hear the perch are eating alot. Did you try the other side of the pond this time or stick to the same area as sunday? I ordered a marmish rod last night since whole sale doesnt carry them anymore. I will let you know how they are if I get it before the weekend.

Nate

I tried across on the south side this time, still about 6 feet deep or so, lots of weeds, but you can see everything perfectly. Saw some first year perch too, ,maybe 2 or so inches and some I cleaned on Sunday had eggs in them so I dont think they are going anywhere soon.

calgarygringo
12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
you think that cracking is bad. I remember many years ago our first night ice fishing we had some of the biggest cracks I have heard in any thunderstorm. Scared us to almost jumping right out of the shack. Thought we were going down in our ship. After many years of it we now just laugh it off. Night time is the worst when it is dark and real quiet......