PDA

View Full Version : Pike and Walleye?

ElDiablo
07-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Ok, I'll try a bit of a different angle here. I'm a flyrodder, and I'm ashamed to say I'm gonna spend the weekend fishin with a coffee grinder at Gull Lake for Pike and Walleye :o .

We've got a fairly extensive collection of the big ugly spoons, jigs etc. but not a clue where/how to find fish in the Lake. It seems to me they'd all be down real deep, but I can remember as a kid catching pike behind my grandfathers boat in the middle of August.

Anybody wanna share a crash course in catchin uglies?

ElDiablo
07-20-2007, 01:55 PM
We've got a boat by the way...

Cam-hunter
07-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Ok, I'll try a bit of a different angle here. I'm a flyrodder, and I'm ashamed to say I'm gonna spend the weekend fishin with a coffee grinder at Gull Lake for Pike and Walleye :o .

We've got a fairly extensive collection of the big ugly spoons, jigs etc. but not a clue where/how to find fish in the Lake. It seems to me they'd all be down real deep, but I can remember as a kid catching pike behind my grandfathers boat in the middle of August.

Anybody wanna share a crash course in catchin uglies?

if your not joking you won't get to many positive responses from the people that love to chase (the Uglies) by the way my favorite type of fish to catch:tongue2:

ULTRAlite
07-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Don't know Gull Lake at all, but I would say troll dropoffs and structure in 15-20 FOW. Start with this - could be shallower in the morning or late evening. A few weekends ago we were just drifting overtop weedbeds in about 12 feet. The tops of the weeds were still about 3 ft below the surface of the water. Threw on a perch shaped jig and just dropping it in between the weeds until just out of sight. Give it a good shimmee and then bring back up into sight. Many pike follow it up from their weedy hideout and strike. Hit lots of pike in the 20" - 30" size range with this. Seeing these wolves strike can't be beat :) :)

Cam-hunter
07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey just kidding I have not been there for a few years but the point just North of Lacombe Fish ansd game campground on the East side was great for Wally's in about 13-15 feet of water leeches on a green jig worked the best for us.
North end in the weeds for Jack's use spoons red and white worked well

Good Luck :)

Doc Holiday
07-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Zip up yer fly, use something to go deep. Can't hurt, might score something worth keeping.