PDA

View Full Version : Clear Lake and PCR report

madatter
12-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Got out to Clear and PCR today with mixed results.
Clear was slooow :(,1 hit in 2 hours so I packed up and went to PCR.
BTW theres 6-8"s of ice there.
PCR was a whole different story.:D
Walleye were biting but it was the ling cod that were going nuts....close to 20 of the uglies and 10 eyes in about 2 hours with I don't even know how many misses!!:D:D
Ice was again 6-8"s thick.
A little cool when not in the tent but well worth it!!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll312/bosro/Mobile%20Uploads/1209091101a.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll312/bosro/Mobile%20Uploads/1209091352.jpg

WayneChristie
12-09-2009, 05:46 PM
nice, kind of makes the weather a moot point, when you catch lots of fish. someones having cod for dinner!!:D BTW, if you want to drop some of those Ling off on the way by ;)

goldscud
12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Did you see any Burbs over 4lb ?

madatter
12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Did you see any Burbs over 4lb ?

No the size average was not great with the uglies or any walleye I caught.
Seems the walleye are even smaller than they were in the summer.....:(
Don't usually keep the burbs unless they are a bit bigger but figured they could use some thinnin out in there...and they sure are tasteee:D

Jack&7
12-09-2009, 07:29 PM
That looks great! How far out from the shore were you to to get 6-8 " of ice? I am a little disappointed to hear that Clear was so slow...I really wanted to get out there this weekend and give it a try.

Were you set up by the boat launch? I've only been there once before, so I'm not too familiar with the lake.

jesse34567
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
mhmmm

TASTY

If only I can convince my dad to get some ice fishing gear.

WayneChristie
12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
mhmmm

TASTY

If only I can convince my dad to get some ice fishing gear.

get him some for Christmas :D

fourty12
12-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the update on Clear and PCR. Great to hear that the burbs are goign nutz! Looking forward to catching and eating some soon. What time of day were you catching the burbot? I have only caught them at night. Were you by the campground? Jighead and smelt?

madatter
12-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the update on Clear and PCR. Great to hear that the burbs are goign nutz! Looking forward to catching and eating some soon. What time of day were you catching the burbot? I have only caught them at night. Were you by the campground? Jighead and smelt?
Just south of where the boat dock was and maybe 50 feet out,water could'nt have been more than 12 to 14 feet deep.
Used minnows and smelts,fished mid afternoon but seemed to like the minnows more...

TangoKilo
12-09-2009, 09:41 PM
How are you liking the new Frabill shack?

How/on what were you catching the Burbs?

madatter
12-10-2009, 07:38 AM
nice, kind of makes the weather a moot point, when you catch lots of fish. someones having cod for dinner!!:D BTW, if you want to drop some of those Ling off on the way by ;)

Too late!!!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll312/bosro/Mobile%20Uploads/1209091746.jpg

I gotta get a cell phone that takes better pics!!:(

madatter
12-10-2009, 07:49 AM
On another note I've been PMed stating I should not be using minnows on PCR....a friendly reminder:confused:
Now in the regs it states "bait allowed"

Pine Coulee Reservoir
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Bait allowed.
Apr. 1 to May 14 – CLOSED

Fishing with Bait
Bait — the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

Bait Ban — means where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may be used. In some streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less impact on trout populations. In some lakes, only maggots and mealworms may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with less impact on pike populations (see Definitions).

Fishing with Bait Fish
Bait Fish means any of the following:

•suckers (family Catostomidae)
•sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
•trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
•Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
•minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow

So I realize I get confused alot:rolleyes::rolleyes: but minnows are perfectly legit there and the COs that checked me every time I was there this summer agreed!!

Rant over.....

calgarygringo
12-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Yes the minnow reg changed this year for those in question. We still use smelts there all the time too mostly because we can go to stupidstore and buy a big bulk bag way cheaper than buying minnows. We use them instead of minnows at the other lakes we fish as well and they work just as good as minnows. Nice catch, just don't take them all out of our hole.:lol:
We actually fish about there in front of the campground all winter once the ice is thick enough to drive out with the shack. We fish the same spot in the summer too but the winter does not produce walleyes in the hundreds
like it does in the summer. Besides we target the burbs late aft and evening anyways.

madatter
12-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Yes the minnow reg changed this year for those in question. We still use smelts there all the time too mostly because we can go to stupidstore and buy a big bulk bag way cheaper than buying minnows. We use them instead of minnows at the other lakes we fish as well and they work just as good as minnows. Nice catch, just don't take them all out of our hole.:lol:
We actually fish about there in front of the campground all winter once the ice is thick enough to drive out with the shack. We fish the same spot in the summer too but the winter does not produce walleyes in the hundreds
like it does in the summer. Besides we target the burbs late aft and evening anyways.

So do you catch any bigger uglies outta there?
Size was really not great,even caught a few that were smaller than the eyes!!:(

calgarygringo
12-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Like the walleyes the burbs are mostly all clones to each other. We have caught the odd bigger one but only a few. Here is a last year clone catch for the deep fryer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/calgarygringo/P1021885.jpg
When we go for the big guys we head over to Crawling Valley. There we never catch them this small. Not as many but 7-10 lbs is not unusual. 4-5 lb one from there are more common as well as some nice just keeper sized pike.

nicemustang
12-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Well at least they are in there. Pretty sure the siex of walleye and burbs isn't big because the lack of food in the lake. Too many predators and not enough bait fish. Was talking with someone who is friends with a F&W (can't remember who that was atm) but they were saying F&W is looking into solutions, cause they can't seem to grow any walleye cause of the lack of food. One option was to stock with white fish, I say do it!

jts1
12-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Ok thats it cant stand it any longer... Got to do it.. Anyone looking to get out and try PCR I am in. Drop me a line and I will head out there with ya.

calgarygringo
12-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Talked to F&W this summer floating on the lake and he said they were thinking that. He told me the problem is the survival rate of stocked whitefish is very low. They do well in a natural spawn rate situation but when stocked they have one of the lowest survival rates. Something needs to be done or maybe they will all stay that way or cannibalism will start as well.

calgarygringo
12-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Jeff
Are you still working or are you froze up for winter. If you have your portable shack ready I may be able to do a weekday next week. I have 3 days off so a construction break day could be in order. Not thick enough to drive out yet or I would drive out. Other option if the ice is clean we can launch the trailer and roll mine out and push it out the last few hundred yards. We have done that when the ice is clear. Too hard to do with lots of snow.

jts1
12-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Jeff
Are you still working or are you froze up for winter. If you have your portable shack ready I may be able to do a weekday next week. I have 3 days off so a construction break day could be in order. Not thick enough to drive out yet or I would drive out. Other option if the ice is clean we can launch the trailer and roll mine out and push it out the last few hundred yards. We have done that when the ice is clear. Too hard to do with lots of snow.

ya we have been shut down for the past few days so... Lets get it done. Let me know when you are looking to get out there. 403 771 9710 is cell

calgarygringo
12-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I am off Wed to Friday so will check with the boss what she has planned and let you know. Supposed to get real cold again by the weekend so more ice will be in store.

jts1
12-10-2009, 08:51 AM
AMEN brother. All hail the fishing gods.

nicemustang
12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I am also off Wed - Fri next week. So if you guys can handle another body, I'm game.

Jeff, what are you doing Saturday?

jts1
12-10-2009, 09:24 AM
I am also off Wed - Fri next week. So if you guys can handle another body, I'm game.

Jeff, what are you doing Saturday?

Nutn where we going ??

nicemustang
12-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Check your PM :D

slingshotz
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Well at least they are in there. Pretty sure the siex of walleye and burbs isn't big because the lack of food in the lake. Too many predators and not enough bait fish. Was talking with someone who is friends with a F&W (can't remember who that was atm) but they were saying F&W is looking into solutions, cause they can't seem to grow any walleye cause of the lack of food. One option was to stock with white fish, I say do it!

Like many others here, I can't believe that F&W isn't considering the idea of perch. They are one of the natural food sources for pike and eyes. Although with the amount of eyes and burbs currently in PCR, I doubt that even the crazy reproduction rate of perch could keep them alive long enough to spawn.

fishpro
12-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I find it interesting that there were no problems with people using minnows as bait, as although the regs don't specify no bait fish allowed on PCR, the lake still isn't listed at the start of the ES1 general regs for the list of lakes where bait fish are allowed. For this reason I think there could still be an issue.

nicemustang
12-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I find it interesting that there were no problems with people using minnows as bait, as although the regs don't specify no bait fish allowed on PCR, the lake still isn't listed at the start of the ES1 general regs for the list of lakes where bait fish are allowed. For this reason I think there could still be an issue.

Incorrect. It has been posted on here before that it was a mistake in the regs, there is conflicting information in the regs book. If you go to PCR there is a sign that says you can use minnows. I can't find the thread but it's documented on here somewhere from Fish and wildlife.

EDIT: I did find the post: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=41106&highlight=minnows

fishpro
12-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Incorrect. It has been posted on here before that it was a mistake in the regs, there is conflicting information in the regs book. If you go to PCR there is a sign that says you can use minnows. I can't find the thread but it's documented on here somewhere from Fish and wildlife.

Hey thanks a bunch, good to know.

BobLoblaw
12-10-2009, 12:11 PM
So do you catch any bigger uglies outta there?
Size was really not great,even caught a few that were smaller than the eyes!!:(

I saw a guy put a 9.5 lb burb on the ice one afternoon last winter, near the bridge.

nicemustang
12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Like many others here, I can't believe that F&W isn't considering the idea of perch. They are one of the natural food sources for pike and eyes. Although with the amount of eyes and burbs currently in PCR, I doubt that even the crazy reproduction rate of perch could keep them alive long enough to spawn.

Speaking of perch...I haven't been on the lake with the boat, but from what I remember it isn't very deep. Would it support a perch popluation that likes deeper water to survive?

SuCraM
12-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Sweet lets plan for next Wednesday I am off and a day on PCR in the nice warm shack sounds like fun. Weather is calling for sunny and 1 so lets do it boys.

nicemustang
12-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Yes I am game.

Jack&7
12-10-2009, 03:05 PM
You guys are killing me! I can't do a weekday very easily....unless I get a 24 hr. flu bug. *cough, cough....hack, wheeze*

If that were to possibly happen next Thursday, I'm sure my doctor would recommend a little R n' R. I can't think what would be better than some peace and quiet in the outdoors.

I really don't think I could stand sitting here waiting for you guys to post pics and a report of how awesome a time you had.

Keep me in the loop.

jts1
12-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Its a date....... Well not a date like that , but a man date.... HMMM nope that dont sound right either. I will just see you guys :Dthere

WayneChristie
12-10-2009, 06:24 PM
thinking of heading down there this Sunday, save me a few fish :D BTW that 30 pound pike has my name on it :lol: lucky for her shes full of mercury, so she will be even scarier next Summer off the dock.

jrs
12-10-2009, 06:55 PM
"Speaking of perch...I haven't been on the lake with the boat, but from what I remember it isn't very deep. Would it support a perch popluation that likes deeper water to survive?"

Its plenty deep. The main limiting factor for perch in there would be lack of aquatic weeds. I think they'd establish themselves but i believe there's concerns about perch being introduced into Willow Creek downstream of the reservoir. Lake whitefish would do very very well in there as well (spawning wise) and would more likely be the forage species of choice if anything's ever done. Clear Lake is another waterbody in that area where perch stocking was discussed when it was altered a few years back. The locals say it was a really productive perch lake about 30-40 years ago before low water levels wiped out all the sport fish. I wouldn't doubt the bucket brigade has tried but with the amount of predatory fish in those lakes it would take a more official effort than what was needed to wreck half the trout fisheries in central Alberta.

Jack&7
12-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I am seriously toying with the idea of heading down there on Saturday. Sounds like the only decent day of the weekend. Anyone interested in a PCR trip?

pm me...

slingshotz
12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Speaking of perch...I haven't been on the lake with the boat, but from what I remember it isn't very deep. Would it support a perch popluation that likes deeper water to survive?

It's much deeper than you think. I was out at the bridge last year about 150 feet from the shore and my flasher registered like 60-70 feet deep. It drops off real fast from the bridge. The one thing I can't figure out is why the fish aren't stunting in Clear, theres no whitefish, perch or walleye so I keep wondering what the hell do the big burbs and pike in there eat. Clear is only 16 feet at the deepest part too.

I really hope that F&W will consider stocking PCR with perch. I fear that someday the bucket brigade will do it and as a result of the regs we'll be screwed out of keeping a few perch or eyes. (although with the mercury warning I probably wouldn't keep them anyways).

calgarygringo
12-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Yes PCR has many deep holes. On the fishfinder there are many 60 foot plus deep holes out there. Some are near the bridge end and several near the campground end.
For benefit of anyone maybe wanting to get together next week I made an error on my days off. I am off Mon-Wed and probably could make a day out if anyone interested in doing a burbot fest....

jrs
12-10-2009, 10:16 PM
"The one thing I can't figure out is why the fish aren't stunting in Clear, theres no whitefish, perch or walleye so I keep wondering what the hell do the big burbs and pike in there eat. Clear is only 16 feet at the deepest part too"

Clear Lake is basically a big fish growing factory, would be classified as borderline eutrophic. When you look at the weed biomass there is a lot of scuds/ bugs to feed small fish. Once the Pike are big enough to start eating fish it's full of suckers, chubs, and other minnows for them to eat (still fueled by the abundance of small food items). They do continue eating scuds when they're large though; I know of 20 lb+ pike that had their guts stuffed full of the little scuds in other southern Alberta Lakes.

In addition, Clear Lake was an existing waterbody prior to the diversion and pike stocking meaning it had a long time to develop and accumulate food.
Pine Coulee on the other hand is mostly deep (i think the dam is between 20-25 metres high) with limited shallow weedy areas. Plus it was stocked with millions of walleye even before it was completely filled meaning the forage base didn't have time to get established. Twin Valley is kind of the lake in between those two (with many many many suckers to feed the pike).

madatter
12-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Speaking of Twin Valley next time I'm in the Calgary area I might try it......about where does one fish the lake?
I've only been there once but from what I remember access to the lake is pretty limited????

fishingnut
12-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Been hearing from guys saying that this year the ice seems to harder which in turn is alot harder to cut htrought hen in the past. How was the ice for cutting through? Was it any different from any other year?

madatter
12-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Been hearing from guys saying that this year the ice seems to harder which in turn is alot harder to cut htrought hen in the past. How was the ice for cutting through? Was it any different from any other year?

Depends alot on the ambient temp....
I would say that I had "hard" ice on both Clear and PCR but when you are dealing with days of -20C weather it should be.Not to mention that ice is clear of snow which builds I beleive harder ice..

ragweed
12-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I am seriously toying with the idea of heading down there on Saturday. Sounds like the only decent day of the weekend. Anyone interested in a PCR trip?

pm me...

I'm planning on trying it on Saturday as well. I'll be in a black FJ cruiser.

sweet_marie_8
12-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Like the walleyes the burbs are mostly all clones to each other. We have caught the odd bigger one but only a few. Here is a last year clone catch for the deep fryer.
When we go for the big guys we head over to Crawling Valley. There we never catch them this small. Not as many but 7-10 lbs is not unusual. 4-5 lb one from there are more common as well as some nice just keeper sized pike.

Well I would like to see ya with a Walleye! Not just Jack Fish! For you less informed, the Jack Fish is well known in FSJ, BC. If you want to catch a " so called Pike, AKA Jack Fish, you better be dedicated to a day of battle! For those who have never caught a REAL Walleye there is a simple way.... During the summer pink grub's have worked beautifuly! Walleye are a very good food source and I would not shy away from the pink!

sweet_marie_8
12-12-2009, 01:30 AM

What is the average size of those pike?

Jimboy
12-12-2009, 02:09 AM
So whats the setup to catch burbot , never caught one or tasted one , do you use smelt or what , thank you.

calgarygringo
12-12-2009, 05:55 AM
Just drop a smelt, minnow or almost anything on a big jig just off the bottom. Give it the odd movement here and there to dust up the bottom and voila you will find them. Best time is just before dark and the night time fishing. Be sure to start when everyone else is heading home for dinner as they bite later on. Just remember they are like a cat and sniff the bait, play with it etc. before they bite. Not like some of the pike and walleyes that sometimes gulp down the bait in a second. If you catch a big one be ready for a fight. Be carefule coming up the holes as well with the bigger ones as they like to wrap up like a snake and sometimes can shake off. If you live south go to PCR for a tuneup then go to CV for the big boys and have some fun.

Freedom55
12-12-2009, 07:30 AM
I've caught only one burbot ever, apparently the wrong way,at the Gull lake derby 2008 while vigorously jigging a 4' Williams Wobbler whitefish (4" gold and silver), 5 minutes before the bell, in a rotten mood because the organizers just announced a change in the rules with 1/2 hour left in the day and it was looking like only certain special tickets were to qualify for the draw for any unclaimed prizes.
And because the day was nearly over and I had exhausted every (legal)trick in the book and still no fish to enter. For the 5th year in a row. The whole lake was P.O'd and the specially marked tickets seemed to be few and far between.
I was seriously hauling that spoon up and letting it fall, hauling it up and letting it fall, when bam! 6.92 lb ling cod, lip hooked and fair, weighed in at 2:58 PM. Placed 9th, won a nice prize, and improved my mood exponentially.
Fluke? or what?
BTW. The organizers quickly abandoned the new rule when they assayed the mood of the mob (estimated to be 4000 angry Albertans)) and gave out the last 25 prizes as advertised. The 2009 derby was a whole new ballgame, but that's another thread already touched on for the 2010 event.

Dave Si

Jimboy
12-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Just drop a smelt, minnow or almost anything on a big jig just off the bottom. Give it the odd movement here and there to dust up the bottom and voila you will find them. Best time is just before dark and the night time fishing. Be sure to start when everyone else is heading home for dinner as they bite later on. Just remember they are like a cat and sniff the bait, play with it etc. before they bite. Not like some of the pike and walleyes that sometimes gulp down the bait in a second. If you catch a big one be ready for a fight. Be carefule coming up the holes as well with the bigger ones as they like to wrap up like a snake and sometimes can shake off. If you live south go to PCR for a tuneup then go to CV for the big boys and have some fun.

Thank you , you are very kind and helpfull just what this forum is all about .

ragweed
12-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Went to PCR today. It was slower than I expected, however it was also my first time. We fished in front of the bridge and right at the bridge.
Definitely hooked into some HUGE Ling. 3 of which made it to the top of the hole before letting go/breaking off.
Caught a bunch of perfect pan size Wally's too. (I know...no keep zone.)
All in all it was a pretty fun day, but oh boy was it cold. 40 mph winds and minus 30 to start. It was definitely a test day for all the equipment.

Alta_Redneck
12-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Ive never fished this lake before but have been looking forward to trying it this hard water season. I'm not looking for anybody's holes but was just wondering if it was a easy lake to fish? manily looking to get into some Eye's I find them a blast through the ice when you get into a bunch. what's the depth of water around the campground ? Anybody have a dpeth chart of the lake? or wher ei could find one thanks for help.

calgarygringo
12-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Here is a big secret spot at PCR but keep it a secret......
Go down the boat ramp and fish just to the left in 15-20 ft or go right in front of the campground area and you can cath wallyes and burbs all you like. If you go in the summer watch for a guy at the end of the dock with a hat that owns the place. He catches fish all day and night and gets monster pike looking at him as well. You may even see him on the board occasionally..........

npauls
12-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I headed out to pcr also today. We had a really good day. Steady action the whole time just in front of the boat launch. Tons of ice cracking and it was a little scary with a couple people driving on right by where we were fishing. Made for some uneasy times when the ice was snapping enough to shake the homemade hut. Ended up hooking into a pig of a pike but lost it at the hole.

Nate

calgarygringo
12-12-2009, 07:13 PM
How thick was the ice, may head out Wednesday with the shack....

WayneChristie
12-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I headed out to pcr also today. We had a really good day. Steady action the whole time just in front of the boat launch. Tons of ice cracking and it was a little scary with a couple people driving on right by where we were fishing. Made for some uneasy times when the ice was snapping enough to shake the homemade hut. Ended up hooking into a pig of a pike but lost it at the hole.

Nate
did you see my name tattooed on that pike? :D Im starting to feel like Ahab, one of these days Im going to get her :evilgrin: would like to tomorrow but its too cold to drive that far. Maybe look for her relatives closer to home.

madatter
12-12-2009, 07:21 PM

Nate

Guys are driving on the lake??
I was there on Wednesday and there is no way on earth I'd be driving on that ice!!:rolleye2::rolleye2:

rustynailz
12-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah, to drive on there now you'd have to have no concern for your own safety. Sketchy!

Jack&7
12-12-2009, 08:10 PM
How thick was the ice, may head out Wednesday with the shack....

if you want to push it to Thursday, I'd go with you! Let me know. See if we can go catch Wayne's pike!

ragweed
12-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Ice was 6 to 8 to 10+ where we were.
Warm spring areas would definitely be less for now.

WayneChristie
12-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh, you may catch her, but she will live to fight another day, shes cursed!!! surprised she isnt white :lol: maybe I can find a Halibut harpoon somewhere and hook it to the canoe next summer :D (note to self, dont get foot tangled in rope)

npauls
12-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes there was 2 vehicles driving on the ice. I am not really sure why they would even risk it since they were all of 50 feet from the boat launch at most. Scared the **** out of me when they pulled around by the hut on their way off the ice. That big pike will have a few pics taken with me next time im out there. I now know what she likes and will have plenty of it for the next trip. If anyone wants to head out there on a weekend with me from lethbridge or meet me there just let me know. I have a 2 man home made hut and clam kenai flip over hut and am willing to share them in exchange for being a photographer when I do finally land that gator. I was thinking about heading out there again tommorow but I think I will just stick it out around the city lakes looking for the few jumbo perch that roam the waters.

Nate

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Yes there was 2 vehicles driving on the ice. I am not really sure why they would even risk it since they were all of 50 feet from the boat launch at most. Scared the **** out of me when they pulled around by the hut on their way off the ice. That big pike will have a few pics taken with me next time im out there. I now know what she likes and will have plenty of it for the next trip. If anyone wants to head out there on a weekend with me from lethbridge or meet me there just let me know. I have a 2 man home made hut and clam kenai flip over hut and am willing to share them in exchange for being a photographer when I do finally land that gator. I was thinking about heading out there again tommorow but I think I will just stick it out around the city lakes looking for the few jumbo perch that roam the waters.

Nate

Hey Nate, its supposed to be decent weather next weekend, maybe I will head down that way, and between us we can drag that gator and her sister out for some pictures :D Ive had her on too, next time she wont be so lucky:evilgrin:

plinker
12-13-2009, 02:11 AM
I used to hunt deer in Pine Coulee before they turned it into a reservoir. 70 feet deep would be a good guess. But the depth depends on where you are. South of the bridge is deeper and north gets much more shallow. Did you guys know that (if I remember correctly where the position is) if you are walking down the boat ramp, you turn right (south) and walk around 50 yards out on the ice, that there is a swing, a city bus, and a few other assorted odds and ends in that area in the water. They were put there for the local dive clubs. Saw it with my own eyes, so it's not an internet rumour. Would be interesting to fish where those are as I think it would harbour bait fish and some biggies. You would have a heck of a fish story though telling folks you snagged a city bus. :lol:

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 07:39 AM
I used to hunt deer in Pine Coulee before they turned it into a reservoir. 70 feet deep would be a good guess. But the depth depends on where you are. South of the bridge is deeper and north gets much more shallow. Did you guys know that (if I remember correctly where the position is) if you are walking down the boat ramp, you turn right (south) and walk around 50 yards out on the ice, that there is a swing, a city bus, and a few other assorted odds and ends in that area in the water. They were put there for the local dive clubs. Saw it with my own eyes, so it's not an internet rumour. Would be interesting to fish where those are as I think it would harbour bait fish and some biggies. You would have a heck of a fish story though telling folks you snagged a city bus. :lol:

if its for fish habitat, you think they would have used a "school" bus. Groan away folks, its early :lol:

calgarygringo
12-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Way to much homemade vino's last night.....
Actually there is a picture of all that stuff on the internet before they filled the reservoir. I will see if I can find it and post it. I think it was a blue transit bus if I remember correctly.

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Actually there is a picture of all that stuff on the internet before they filled the reservoir. I will see if I can find it and post it. I think it was a blue transit bus if I remember correctly.

I went on a submarine tour off Waikiki, they have a boat and an airliner sunk there, not much else to see except sand. It was kind of cool to see a big sea turtle sitting on the airplane.

ULTRAlite
12-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Heard rumours to that end, cool to see that it's true. Do divers use it? Would love to see pics :)

pecker
12-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Heard rumours to that end, cool to see that it's true. Do divers use it? Would love to see pics :)

great video- thanks for the tease.:):wave:

plinker
12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite
Heard rumours to that end, cool to see that it's true. Do divers use it? Would love to see pics

I don't know to be honest. For the first few years that lake was zero vis because of the algae. I am an advanced diver and although they put toys in the lake I just didn't have any interest in doing any zero vis dives.

Wayne? School bus??? LMAO!!:lol:

jrs
12-13-2009, 12:58 PM
"if its for fish habitat, you think they would have used a "school" bus. Groan away folks, its early"

I thought it was a good one :)

I believe there was also a bike rack and some other outdated playground equipment as well. I have pictures of myself posing with the stuff somewhere but not digital ones (prior to flooding). Looked pretty funny when the reservoir was just slowly flooding the set up, like the Red River valley on the news every couple years. I seem to remember it being located off the beach along the dam though. On the dam side of the diversion. I did walk down to look at it all when it was high and dry, i've never heard of any divers actually going down to utilize the set up though.

fourty12
12-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Was at PCR Friday and after the sun was down, we couldn't get one line in before the other had a fish on it. Pink smelts were the answer... Crazy action! Just finished eating some home made fish n' chips as a result!

slingshotz
12-14-2009, 06:44 PM
For those interested in a little history of PCR: http://classes.uleth.ca/200801/envs4000a/The%20Pine%20Coulee%20Project.ppt

Slide 30 shows the dive site area. You need PowerPoint to view the presentation but you can get the viewer from Microsoft for free.

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 07:06 PM
For those interested in a little history of PCR: http://classes.uleth.ca/200801/envs4000a/The%20Pine%20Coulee%20Project.ppt

Slide 30 shows the dive site area. You need PowerPoint to view the presentation but you can get the viewer from Microsoft for free.

Great link Will thanks !

calgarygringo
12-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks Will I have been looking for that photo as I have seen it before but couldn't remember where.
here it is by itself'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/calgarygringo/Picture1.jpg

pikester
12-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Very cool stuff, thanks for posting! I had no idea they put that much work/ thought into that project, very encouraging. If anyone has the new side imaging sonar I would think that would be the place to try it:cool:

nicemustang
12-14-2009, 08:06 PM
100 Million bucks. WOW. They need to throw some perch or white fish in there, spend a little more dough.

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 08:08 PM
100 Million bucks. WOW. They need to throw some perch or white fish in there, spend a little more dough.

ahh, I know a couple places they could get perch for nothing :evilgrin: Hell Id even drive them for free

slingshotz
12-14-2009, 09:27 PM
I'd like to dive that site someday, I can completely restock a few tackle boxes as I'd bet there's tons of gear that has gotten snagged :lol: