PDA

View Full Version : "Redneck", Blessing or curse?

Redfrog
12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I see in another thread that some members use the term "redneck" as an insult to their fellow man. Do you think the term "Redneck" is a blessing or an insult?

And is it as bad as calling someone a........."Liberal"?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/6356458640525106ea61f.jpg

Grizzled
12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
AND PROUD OF IT....DON'T KNOW A REDNECK THAT CAN PUT THIER HEAD UP THIER *ZZ..SO CAN'T BE A LIBERAL !:lol:

pickrel pat
12-10-2009, 01:56 PM
love being labled redneck, or hillbilly ! i love the whole concept.

Okotokian
12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
It's one of those terms that is probably fine if you refer to yourself as one but often seen as an insult if you call someone else one. Best to be careful about flinging it around. If you were to walk up to a person of color, look them in the eye, and declare "I'm a redneck, and damned proud of it" I think they might take it to mean you were telling them you were a racist, whether you are or not. it's become a term that can be taken a number of different ways.

redneck posse
12-10-2009, 02:07 PM
redfrog if you call me a redneck i'll laugh and say thank you. call me a liberal and i'll kick your ass.:lol::lol::lol:

hunter tyson
12-10-2009, 02:20 PM
i think it depends on the way someone says it, you can tell if its meant as an insult or not.

Redfrog
12-10-2009, 03:04 PM
redfrog if you call me a redneck i'll laugh and say thank you. call me a liberal and i'll kick your ass.:lol::lol::lol:

HMMM? I wonder how many liberals does it take to kick a redneck redfrog's ass?:lol::lol::lol:

I know you aren't a lib RP.:D

hal53
12-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I wonder if people know where the term actually came from?????

The Fisherman Guy
12-10-2009, 05:07 PM
To me it is the same inaccurately negative designation as calling someone a Canuck. Most of us Canadians are proud to be called Canucks. Just not Canuck fans!!

I am proud to be a redneck, you can call me whatever you like and it will not bother me any... Sticks and stones.... :lol:

Okotokian
12-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Well, if you believe Wikipedia it has to do with the neck being sunburned from outdoor manual labour many many years ago.

Gray Wolf
12-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Good question/comment ^ !

I'm guessing that if most people (at least here in Canada) knew the 'true' meaning and origin of the term, they wouldn't use it to describe themselves.

Webster's Dictionary does a pretty good job of defining the original term, and it's origin;

Redneck ('red-neck); An uneducated, unsophisticated, poor white person. Typically used to describe uneducated poor white dirt farmers of the southern US states, having a red neck caused by working outdoors in the sunlight over the course of their lifetime. The term first appeared in print in the early 1800's in the southern US.

You can call me old fashioned, you can call me conservative, you can call me a cowboy, you can call me a traditionalist, you can call me lots of things ... but please don't call me a redneck.

GW

tonyflyfish
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
usually a super compliment! but even rednecks can act badly. just like liberals.lol

Grizzly Adams
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM

My take is that it originally came from the southern U S. Disparaging term for poor white farmers, who working in the sun, got red necks.:lol: When a liberal calls you a Redneck, it's a complement.:lol:
Grizz

hunter tyson
12-10-2009, 05:37 PM
may sound like an insult but to me it discribes a hard working, belly to the ground, family provoiding MAN among men who although may be uneducated is not afrade to get his hands dirty, besides we can't all be doctors and lawers

pickrel pat
12-10-2009, 06:18 PM
may sound like an insult but to me it discribes a hard working, belly to the ground, family provoiding MAN among men who although may be uneducated is not afrade to get his hands dirty, besides we can't all be doctors and lawersthis ^ ^ ^

rugatika
12-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Odds are if the person flinging the term around is using it as an insult he is likely a liberal anyway. And who the hell cares what a liberal thinks. I would be much more insulted if someone called me a liberal.

To me a redneck is a salt of the earth guy, who may or may not have a lot of book learnin' but is wise beyond his years and full of common sense. Call of the redneck....howdy and havagooday.

A liberal...is someone who would rob Christ off the cross and come back for the nails. Generally slow on the uptake, however, when it comes to stealing they are quite cunning. No shame, no pride, no morals. They surround themselves with like minded individuals as they hate having their belief system challenged. Call of the liberal...baaaaah.

WayneChristie
12-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Odds are if the person flinging the term around is using it as an insult he is likely a liberal anyway. And who the hell cares what a liberal thinks. I would be much more insulted if someone called me a liberal.

To me a redneck is a salt of the earth guy, who may or may not have a lot of book learnin' but is wise beyond his years and full of common sense. Call of the redneck....howdy and havagooday.

A liberal...is someone who would rob Christ off the cross and come back for the nails. Generally slow on the uptake, however, when it comes to stealing they are quite cunning. No shame, no pride, no morals. They surround themselves with like minded individuals as they hate having their belief system challenged. Call of the liberal...baaaaah.

X2 you said it bro

Badback
12-10-2009, 07:14 PM
odds are if the person flinging the term around is using it as an insult he is likely a liberal anyway. And who the hell cares what a liberal thinks. I would be much more insulted if someone called me a liberal.

A liberal...is someone who would rob christ off the cross and come back for the nails. Generally slow on the uptake, however, when it comes to stealing they are quite cunning. No shame, no pride, no morals. They surround themselves with like minded individuals as they hate having their belief system challenged. Call of the liberal...baaaaah.

huntinstuff
12-10-2009, 07:18 PM

x5.......because Im a redneck and cant count:lol:

Fish Feathers Game
12-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Have you ever been called a "Nimrod"??
From Websters dictionary -
: a descendant of Ham represented in Genesis as a mighty hunter and a king of Shinar

gitrdun
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I've been called a redneck by both folks who meant it as a compliment and those that meant it as degrading. Either way, I'm proud and happy with whom I am....my neck is red. :wave:

hillbillyreefer
12-10-2009, 08:40 PM
I call myself a redneck and a hillbilly all the time, if someone else calls me that it is a compliment. You can call me about anthing you want but don't call me a liberal, thems fightin' words. Try calling my 6 year old a liberal, she'll kick you in the shins!!!

Badgerbadger
12-10-2009, 08:57 PM
My San Francisco Liberal girlfriend translates to a Central Alberta Redneck Conservative.

Imagine her consternation.

I just laughed.

"Your conservatives are way left of Obama" she said. :)

MacLeod
12-10-2009, 09:45 PM
It's one of those terms that is probably fine if you refer to yourself as one but often seen as an insult if you call someone else one. Best to be careful about flinging it around. If you were to walk up to a person of color, look them in the eye, and declare "I'm a redneck, and damned proud of it" I think they might take it to mean you were telling them you were a racist, whether you are or not. it's become a term that can be taken a number of different ways.

X2 ^
I spent almost 10 years down in the States in my younger years. Even the Republicans (conservatives) use the term 'Redneck' with negative connotations (same as "white trash", etc.). It's also sometimes also used to describe someone who is racist, or a bigiot.

I'm conviced us Canadians need to find our own term to describe good, hard-working, salt-of-the-earth, people. The imported term 'Redneck' has far too many negative connotations.

TF

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I do consider my self redneck as i have cut the grass and found my truck in my back yard. and i am proud if it too!
As for a hillbilly dam rights. dam proud of the stupid stuff i doo too, might not be safe but it works for the perpouse that i needed it too. God bless all the redneck hillbillys out there!

GIT - R - DONE

Reeves1
12-11-2009, 07:58 AM
(Alberta) Redneck seafood dinner.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DerrickJB/AlbertaSeafoodDinner.jpg

MWD 800
12-11-2009, 09:03 AM
(Alberta) Redneck seafood dinner.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DerrickJB/AlbertaSeafoodDinner.jpg

Thats what I had for supper last night!!! not for real but does look good though haha.

I don't mind being called a redneck I don't mind being called a hillybilly. I am a working man and that is what redneck means to me.

Don't really care to be called a liberal or a hippy... those buggers don't work - they steal!

Joe

moosemad
12-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Most of us easterners are called rednecks, thats cool with me. For those who don't like rednecks, well, they can go P on a stump and play with the steam.

rhuntley12
12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Compared to most ya'll I wouldn't be considered a redneck, but at work they call me one.:evilgrin: Doesn't bother me one bit, I like the "redneck" type of life. If you get offended by someone calling you a redneck you take things too seriously.

Family calls me a liberal all the time and doesn't bother me. I know I'm more conservative then most people who throw out the name liberal but they still consider me a liberal.:lol:

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Wel that mkes me good redneck as i am from the far far east

MacLeod
12-11-2009, 11:17 PM
I do consider my self redneck as i have cut the grass and found my truck in my back yard. and i am proud if it too!
As for a hillbilly dam rights. dam proud of the stupid stuff i doo too, might not be safe but it works for the perpouse that i needed it too. God bless all the redneck hillbillys out there!

^ :rolleye2::sick::scared:

I rest my case.

TF

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Damn rights , I'm a redneck , Hillbilly , Honky whatever ya wanna call me . I work hard for what I do . I guess If someone has to pull out these
'' POLITICAL TERMS '' Thats there thing , but dont rain on my parade or any of my Thoughts of beliefs . I do recall we live in a free country and if you dont like that So be . So for Now Ill sit back And continue my Redneck ways . And if you dont like it **** YOU

TheClash
12-12-2009, 02:12 AM
X2 ^
I spent almost 10 years down in the States in my younger years. Even the Republicans (conservatives) use the term 'Redneck' with negative connotations (same as "white trash", etc.). It's also sometimes also used to describe someone who is racist, or a bigiot.

I'm conviced us Canadians need to find our own term to describe good, hard-working, salt-of-the-earth, people. The imported term 'Redneck' has far too many negative connotations.

TF

Albertan??

duffy4
12-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Webster's Dictionary does a pretty good job of defining the original term, and it's origin;
Redneck ('red-neck); An uneducated, unsophisticated, poor white person. Typically used to describe uneducated poor white dirt farmers of the southern US states, having a red neck caused by working outdoors in the sunlight over the course of their lifetime. The term first appeared in print in the early 1800's in the southern US.
You can call me old fashioned, you can call me conservative, you can call me a cowboy, you can call me a traditionalist, you can call me lots of things ... but please don't call me a redneck.

The thing is that so many people apply their own meanings or connotations to words. They don't consider what a word's "official" meaning is, they apply "their meaning" and use the word (maybe not caring if they are really communicating their ideas)

Slang is sometimes fun to use but it often gets in the way of communication.

That is why I don't like calling pronghorn "goats" and coyotes "yotes" and such.

Some people on here like to be called "red necks" because they like their own meaning of it. And some just really are "red necks" by the dictionary meaning and they are truly proud to be so.

I don't care to call myself any one label. I am not just a redneck or a liberal or conservative or ... I think of myself as having a variety of opinions and viewpoints and some flexibility.

MacLeod
12-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Albertan??

You betcha ... AND PROUD OF IT! And so was my father, and and so was his father.

My family helped build Alberta into what it is today ... with a lot of hard work, grit, and determination.

Next question.

" . . . You can call me old fashioned, you can call me conservative, you can call me a cowboy, you can call me a traditionalist, you can call me lots of things ... but please don't call me a redneck."

"The thing is that so many people apply their own meanings or connotations to words. They don't consider what a word's "official" meaning is, they apply "their meaning" and use the word (maybe not caring if they are really communicating their ideas) . . . "

Well put Duffy ^

I've never liked the term 'Redneck' myself ... I guess because I know the true meaning of the word, it's origin, and all the negative connotations attached to it. And I've been involved on this forum long enough to know that most of the people here who refer to themselves as Redneck, really aren't (at least not in the 'true' sense of the word).

I still think it's kind of sad that us Canadians haven't come up with our own word to describe; honest, hard-working, salt-of-the-earth, good people.

Any suggestions out there???

TF

pickrel pat
12-12-2009, 01:04 PM
so.... some of you dont like the term redneck.... do you feel the same way about hillbilly?? 2 totally differant meanings. i prefer hillbilly. i like it lots and lots!:lol::wave:

WayneChristie
12-12-2009, 08:30 PM
so.... some of you dont like the term redneck.... do you feel the same way about hillbilly?? 2 totally differant meanings. i prefer hillbilly. i like it lots and lots!:lol::wave:

Hillbillys rule!!!! Im a proud hillbilly, with a red neck :D

mac_xi@hotmail.com
12-12-2009, 09:31 PM
everyone knows rednecks don't know how to use compooters!!:D

Matt L.
12-12-2009, 10:23 PM
I still think it's kind of sad that us Canadians haven't come up with our own word to describe; honest, hard-working, salt-of-the-earth, good people.

Any suggestions out there???

TF

How about cowboy? All of the cowboy's I know,and many I don't, fit that criteria to a tee.

mtylerb
12-12-2009, 10:41 PM
God bless rednecks. They are the reason that we'll survive the zombie invasion that the government will start -- one way or another.

WayneChristie
12-12-2009, 10:44 PM
God bless rednecks. They are the reason that we'll survive the zombie invasion that the government will start -- one way or another.

thats why I aint got my floo shot yet, aint gonna be no flesh eatin zombified canajun with the joose the guvmint is puttin in them there needals

mtylerb
12-12-2009, 10:48 PM
thats why I aint got my floo shot yet, aint gonna be no flesh eatin zombified canajun with the joose the guvmint is puttin in them there needals

*Phew*, I thought I was the only one that knew that was gonna happen. :lol:

TheClash
12-12-2009, 11:03 PM

i lived right on the border of some of the most hillbilly land in all of west virginia..and boys let me tell you...we do not have a clue what a hillbilly is up here....believe me. haha

WayneChristie
12-12-2009, 11:13 PM
i lived right on the border of some of the most hillbilly land in all of west virginia..and boys let me tell you...we do not have a clue what a hillbilly is up here....believe me. haha

that is a good thing from what Ive seen :lol: besides, didnt you spend enough time with your sister growing up???? :evilgrin:

12-13-2009, 01:10 AM

Im ready to rock and roll , BRING EM ON , Not to mention Thanks to folks like us thats why there is a UFO Report hotline . Ive of course been banned from it ....

WANNA BET :D:D:D:D:D

mtylerb
12-13-2009, 01:13 AM
Im ready to rock and roll , BRING EM ON , Not to mention Thanks to folks like us thats why there is a UFO Report hotline . Ive of course been banned from it ....

Tell yah what. When it hits, head my way and we'll go to my work and borrow a couple armoured trucks. Nothing like a rolling tank to mow down the zombies. Open up the back doors and let the bullets fly!

Perhaps I've thought this through a little too much? :evilgrin:

TheClash
12-13-2009, 01:14 AM

yup..the fact that you can turn on and operate a computer at all..and even spell the few words you used in that post puts you head and shoulders above the real hill folk i lived around. i am not kidding....bare feet year round, jug moonshine, coal dug out of the bank behind the house, no teeth,no cars, can't read, can't write...sign their name with an X, major problems from inbreeding....this is no exaggeration folks. so ya, i'll take that bet..you ask some of these folks what the internet is and they will think is for catchin' up some possums for dinner....ma cleans 'em up real good.....

a whole different world down there.

12-13-2009, 01:24 AM
yup..the fact that you can turn on and operate a computer at all..and even spell the few words you used in that post puts you head and shoulders above the real hill folk i lived around. i am not kidding....bare feet year round, jug moonshine, coal dug out of the bank behind the house, no teeth,no cars, can't read, can't write...sign their name with an X, major problems from inbreeding....this is no exaggeration folks. so ya, i'll take that bet..you ask some of these folks what the internet is and they will think is for catchin' up some possums for dinner....ma cleans 'em up real good.....

I know the type you speak of . Theres sapost to be a good number of em in Montana .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj4LnfkdJDM

Bushrat
12-13-2009, 09:06 AM
i am not kidding....bare feet year round, jug moonshine, coal dug out of the bank behind the house, no teeth,no cars, can't read, can't write...sign their name with an X, major problems from inbreeding....this is no exaggeration folks. so ya, i'll take that bet..you ask some of these folks what the internet is and they will think is for catchin' up some possums for dinner....ma cleans 'em up real good.....

Believe me there's a few Ozarks out there in the woodwork of Canada and Alberta that fit that description, 'cept they wear shoes when it's 40 below.:D

Gray Wolf
12-13-2009, 11:18 AM

That's ^ the truth ... Clash does not exaggerate! I've been down there too and seen it all (up in the hills of east Kentucky, east Tennessee, etc.). By Canadian standards, real true Hillbillys are almost sub-human.

http://dummidumbwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/hillbilly.jpg

Ifin you ben callin yerself a Hillbilly, ya ain't ben doin yerself no faver.

GW

rugatika
12-13-2009, 06:11 PM
That's ^ the truth ... Clash does not exaggerate! I've been down there too and seen it all (up in the hills of east Kentucky, east Tennessee, etc.). By Canadian standards, real true Hillbillys are almost sub-human.

GW

They sure have the same ears. LMAO!!

hunter tyson
12-13-2009, 06:19 PM

GW

hey, its ma and pa, ma sure was a purdy lady:lol::lol::lol:

Cooeylover
12-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Actually, the term 'redneck' is from old coal miners days in the U.S.
I heard on the NRA news one night on my sirius radio, someone explain where the term redneck comes from.
Many years ago, during problems in the coal industry deep in the U.S. there was a rally of somesort and all the coal workers/miners, were told/asked to wear red hankercheifs around their neck to separate them from everyone else in the crowd. They were considered a lower people so they were insulted as "rednecks". Im having a hard time remembering the story in detail, but im sure you get the jist of it.:p
Of course if you dont beleive me, then you can google it.:)

In modern day a redneck is still considered to be of a lower class of people.:mad: OMG, whatever!!!:tongue2:

I think a redneck is someone who has a background of living off the land and can more than enough still support his/her family with very little resources.

My father told me when i was a boy, "if you have a chainsaw, you will always be warm and if you have a gun, you will always be fed". I got 5 chainsaws and LOTSA guns. I rest my case.:)

NOTE: See my avatar, in my case, its not a fashion statement, its the grass roots truth. Yep, being called a redneck is a compliment. A TRUE redneck will prevail when things are bleak.:wave:

hunter tyson
12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
http://www.squidoo.com/RedneckHumor

some funny redneck stuff, i like the deer stand:wave:

hunter tyson
12-14-2009, 01:54 PM
the pentagon anounced today the formation of an elite fighting group called the u.s. redneck special forces,

bubba,hoss, cooter and boo will be droped behind enemy lines with the folowing information about iraqis

1. the season opened yesterday

2.there is no limit

3.they taste just like chicken

4.they don't like pickup trucks

5.some is qu33r

6.they are directly responsible for the death of dale ernheart

the war should be over in 1 week:D