PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip to northern BC/Yukon

tonyflyfish
12-10-2009, 10:38 PM
I want to take a two or three week trip up there in the spring/summer. Would like to mostly fish for trout but am open to other. Have truck and holiday trailer and wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction. I like to camp and hike the streams, creeks and small rivers.
I think I'd like to start in the Hinton, GP corridor as it is so spectacular.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks
t

troutpirate
12-10-2009, 10:47 PM
while your in northern bc be sure to hit the pine and sukunka rivers by chetwynd. beautiful rivers with great fishing.

sheephunter
12-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Not much for trout in the Yukon but most streams are loaded with grayling.

The Fisherman Guy
12-11-2009, 12:04 PM
I would really like to make it to the Tree river to fish Char one day. If you are headed up that way Tony, I would certainly consider a visit!

http://pblabs.biology.dal.ca/images/pb_pics/giantchartreeriver1.jpg

The Fish King
12-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Well if you go through chetwynd and prince george, you can fish a variety of great salmon rivers on the way up north. The skeena, morice, bulkely, nass and all of the little tribs all contain trout and lots of salmon, depending on when you go of course.

adventures
12-11-2009, 01:22 PM
The Yukon is one of my favourite places to go. I mostly fish the lakes, but have caught grayling in just about every creek I’ve fished. If you’re not taking a boat, Fox Lake north of Whitehorse can be fished from shore right at the campground. Good lakers there, but small (<5 lbs) and some grayling too. I’d really recommend a trip on the Campbell Highway, which runs north of Watson Lake and ends up at Carmacks. Several decent streams and rivers along that route for grayling. If you had a boat my first choice would be Frances Lake, which is 2 hours north of Watson. Nice campground, spectacular scenery and great fishing for lake trout and the odd big pike. I could spend a whole summer there. West of Whitehorse it gets more mountainous and lots of hiking options around Kluane. Milepost is a good resource book for fishing spots, camping, etc.

turbo mulcher
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Make sure you travel HWY 37 at least one way . I am heading up that way salmon fishing the last two weeks of July. :evilgrin:

goldscud
12-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Kathleen lake and river are west of Whitehorse on the way to Kluane via Haines Junction. Some nice rainbows and graying there.

kenh
12-12-2009, 12:36 PM
take the Stewart Cassier highway to the Yukon alot of good trout waters both stream and lake and gorgeous campgrounds

AxeMan
12-12-2009, 12:57 PM
The Smart and Morley rivers just east of Teslin are awesome grayling streams with some big ones. I was up there last July. Bring your fly rod and bug spray...:D

tonyflyfish
12-12-2009, 02:19 PM
maybe i'll need a whole month!