PDA

View Full Version : estamate being way out

nightmagic
12-11-2009, 12:09 PM
hello
how is everyone doing i have a question for you's. A friend gave an estamate to do some work was around $7000.00 for electrial he came back to me and said he f*&^ up and did it wrong and was off by around $600.00 i had no problem paying up as it was only an estamte and knew it could change the problem is that I was postive that it was finsihed but it was only ruff in and ended up with another bill of $2900.00 for finish.

What should i do? I am out of town so cannt look for the estamate.

diamonddave
12-11-2009, 12:16 PM
So the bill was an extra 3500$ in total?? I would be going back to the estimate and getting it figured out. 600$ difference might be liveable but to be out by 3500 doesnt seem right by any stretch. Is he a licenced tradesman or just a guy that knows how to put some wires together? Bottom line, get ahold of your estimate and start asking questions.

Albertadiver
12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
You need a copy of that estimate to determine the scope of work agreed to. The more itemized the better. If it was a one-liner saying he'd do electrical work for X amount of money, you'd have a tough time proving what was or was not included in the price.

I'm a construction contract administrator and deal with this stuff all day long. If you need a hand, PM me.

BrownBear416
12-11-2009, 12:25 PM
You need a copy of that estimate to determine the scope of work agreed to. The more itemized the better. If it was a one-liner saying he'd do electrical work for X amount of money, you'd have a tough time proving what was or was not included in the price.

I'm a construction contract administrator and deal with this stuff all day long. If you need a hand, PM me.

x2 thats the biggest problem with a friend doing work for another lol

He maybe thought Rough and you thought finished which means you are in for a hell of a fight unless you are really Great friends....

You can never go after a buddy like you can a hired company because like AD says..most times the paperwork is lacking..lol

tbosch
12-11-2009, 12:31 PM
hello
how is everyone doing i have a question for you's. A friend gave an estamate to do some work was around $7000.00 for electrial he came back to me and said he f*&^ up and did it wrong and was off by around $600.00 i had no problem paying up as it was only an estamte and knew it could change the problem is that I was postive that it was finsihed but it was only ruff in and ended up with another bill of $2900.00 for finish.

What should i do? I am out of town so cannt look for the estamate.

I do the odd side job for buddies of mine, such as basements, garages etc. Generally I charge 500 cash for the labor and material is cost. A typical basement can be roughed in for approx $ 1000. Finishing is generally another 4-500 depending on fixtures etc. Now i'm not sure of the scope of the work your buddy did for you but $ 9900 is a lot of money IMO. If youre talking wiring a full 1200 sqft house your buddy may not be too far off. You should bring in a contractor for a proper documented estimate and compare pricing. If hes higher than the contractor I'd say you're buddy is buying the beers for the next decade or so until he lives it down. :lol:

nightmagic
12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
almost 1700 sq foot shop..........lots of work from trenching to the house to shop 14 foot walls. studs every 12" due to the hight. t5 lights. lighting out side. lights in attic, rv pug, 220 plug one side of the shop i have a section 30' with plugs every 5 feet each on a seperat breaker this work was done through his busniess. I had others estamtes done and he was the best price his was the same pice finsihed as the others were ruff in

Albertadiver
12-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Another way to approach things is sit down with him and ask him to show you his materials costs. Invoices, quantities, etc. Then ask him to show how much labour / time he spent and that would give you a good indicator if it is fair. If you can seperate the labour from the materials that often helps.

tbosch
12-11-2009, 01:10 PM
almost 1700 sq foot shop..........lots of work from trenching to the house to shop 14 foot walls. studs every 12" due to the hight. t5 lights. lighting out side. lights in attic, rv pug, 220 plug one side of the shop i have a section 30' with plugs every 5 feet each on a seperat breaker this work was done through his busniess. I had others estamtes done and he was the best price his was the same pice finsihed as the others were ruff in

Sounds like he didnt hose you then. Lots of labor and material involved in a shop that size. Sounds to me like you guys just had a miscommunication. Get him to break down the invoice for you, at least you will be able to sleep at night knowing that your buddy didnt run you through the ringer.

rhuntley12
12-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Strange that it would come an extra 50% from what he estimated. Maybe he just way underestimated it and got in over his head?

saltwater cowboy
12-11-2009, 01:47 PM
the way I cost out jobs when building decks,fences for friends is to tell them exactly what the full cost would be if it was another customer I didn't know. Then I usually give them a decent break on my labour and profits but not on those I am paying to work for me. My friends have to understand however that I would be making more money somewhere else and this is a business so they have to be willing to have the work done around MY schedule. If your friend is doing this through his business he should be able to give you an exact quote for full cost having his profit margin in and subtract your discount from there.
If he is doing this on a cost plus basis he would be able to show you his material cost plus hours worked.
Hope this helps
Salty

nightmagic
12-11-2009, 02:52 PM
this is all helping my guys it is very possible that i screwed up and when he called me about the rest due it caught my off gaurd and posted shorty after I have not talked to him yet but do plan on it. maybe it was a ruff in price