PDA

View Full Version : rod suggestions

huntinfishincampin
12-12-2009, 04:40 PM
just looking for everyones ideas on a rod that could be a mulit purpose rod...strong enuf for pike mostly but use for trout if needed this is not a fly rod i am looking for...

price under 150
thanks for all of your ideas in advance

hfc

mooseknuckle
12-12-2009, 04:51 PM
your talking open water correct? I bought a Abu Garcia ultra cast 2000 and a 4000 both under 50 and man o man awesome combo for the average fisherman. IMO

honker_clonker
12-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Shimano Clarus has never let me down. I have 6, and they are all great. The 7' ML action is right up your alley. Rated for 1/8 to 1/2 oz. Might be a little bendy for the pike but who doesnt like a little excitement. It will help cast out the smaller stuff for trout because it loads more under a lighter load.

bsnyder
12-14-2009, 06:35 AM
:wave:I prefer the Quantim PT light .Exellant rod ,perfect action, great warrenty , carry 10 rods in the boat and 6 are Quantim.Good luck:wave:

Freedom55
12-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Shakespeare Ugly Stik, any weight.

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Shakespeare Ugly Stik, any weight.

X2 I went from a regular to an ultralight medium action 7 1/2 footer and love it. can handle any fish out there too. and will leave you more money for a good reel

camshaft
12-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Shimano Compre.

Great rod with "quality" components, and a warranty to match. Lifetime, over the counter I believe. They shud still be around $100 at most retailers. In fact, Fishing Hole is listing some of them on sale for $99.95.

I have had my rod snap while hooked on a rock (damn power pro) and it was replaced no questions asked.

Other good rods less than $150 IMO:

Browning Citori
Quantum Tour Edition PT
Fenwick HMX

Bass Pro has some good rods including:
Pro Qualifier XPS
XPS Extreme

You likely wont get them on sale, but if u are willing to go up a bit in price, the Shimano Crucial and St Croix Avid rods are probably the best rods out there without breaking the budget compared to a G Loomis.

A 7' medium Compre would be my choice.

With your price of $150, you have a ton of choices. Look for a rod with higher end Fuji guides, IM7 (or higher) graphite and regardless of what u find, it will no doubt be a solid rod.

Sorry, but Ugly sticks are not a good rod when u have a budget of $150....mind u, u cud buy 3-4 for that price :)

bsnyder
12-15-2009, 06:01 AM
Shimano Compre.

Great rod with "quality" components, and a warranty to match. Lifetime, over the counter I believe. They shud still be around $100 at most retailers. In fact, Fishing Hole is listing some of them on sale for $99.95.

I have had my rod snap while hooked on a rock (damn power pro) and it was replaced no questions asked.

Other good rods less than $150 IMO:

Browning Citori
Quantum Tour Edition PT
Fenwick HMX

Bass Pro has some good rods including:
Pro Qualifier XPS
XPS Extreme

You likely wont get them on sale, but if u are willing to go up a bit in price, the Shimano Crucial and St Croix Avid rods are probably the best rods out there without breaking the budget compared to a G Loomis.

A 7' medium Compre would be my choice.

With your price of $150, you have a ton of choices. Look for a rod with higher end Fuji guides, IM7 (or higher) graphite and regardless of what u find, it will no doubt be a solid rod.

Sorry, but Ugly sticks are not a good rod when u have a budget of $150....mind u, u cud buy 3-4 for that price :)

:wave:I agree , before i had Quantim i had a couple of uglysticks, very tough rod but no sensetivity compared to grafite.For pike , probably ok but not for walleye.watch what the pros use, they usually know :D