PDA

View Full Version : whitefish lakes around edmonton

Albertafisher
12-13-2009, 01:34 PM
This year I want to target whitefish, and I'm a rookie when it comes to whitefish, any decent lakes around Edmonton for this species? I heard that pigeon lake is decent, any other lakes that have a high potential? does anyone know what areas of the pigeon lake are prime whitefish areas??
also, what would work the best for whitefish? wireworms? small jigs?

Cheers

jrmoyan
12-13-2009, 01:38 PM
wire worms with maggots our the way i roll

fish-man
12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
I've never targeted whitefish myself but I hear Wabamun, Pigeon and Gull are good.

420fish
12-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I grew up in wabamun, ice can be unpredictable due to the open water caused by the power plant. Go directly out from the main pier to the east in 15 ft of water. Fish have allways been there. If not biting there the kapasawin provincial park has access to the tressel area, once again watch for thin ice due to deep water under the bridge and rapid train movement. My dad used to fish both areas with great success. Dont eat the fish. Period

I'm going to pigeon on wednesday for the first time. I use hand made wire worms in various colors from copper with a red dot, to brass, and orange. They love em. Just let them suck in the hook before you set it.

Happy fishing everyone.:evilgrin:

hard_azz
12-14-2009, 03:01 PM
gull isnt wat it used to be about 5-10 years ago.... to many old retired guys would go out and catch 50 or 60 in a winter and have a whole deep freeze full... really bugs me... used to love the action out there.... one really good lake is battle lake just south of pigeon on hwy13... they can be tuff to find but they r big bastards when u do find them... i've seen 9+lbs fish come outta there

wildman
12-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Also sylvan, st.anne, buck!!!!!!

fish-man
12-15-2009, 08:56 AM
I grew up in wabamun, ice can be unpredictable due to the open water caused by the power plant. Go directly out from the main pier to the east in 15 ft of water. Fish have allways been there. If not biting there the kapasawin provincial park has access to the tressel area, once again watch for thin ice due to deep water under the bridge and rapid train movement. My dad used to fish both areas with great success. Dont eat the fish. Period

I'm going to pigeon on wednesday for the first time. I use hand made wire worms in various colors from copper with a red dot, to brass, and orange. They love em. Just let them suck in the hook before you set it.

Happy fishing everyone.:evilgrin:

I hear the power plant is shutting down.

What location would you suggest to catch pike through the ice at Wab?

420fish
12-15-2009, 10:31 AM
The pike follow the perch and smaller feeder fish, We usually get one or two just on wire worms when we are ice fishing, same locations as in the earlier post. I have heard stories from the seba beach side where they catch the record ones. Knowing what i know now about jigs i imagine they are biting everywhere. The fishing has slowed so much since the oil spill that only a few regulars and a certain group of people looking for suckers come out. The trophies are still in there. Under the tressel is allways good and cuz the water is still open you can cast from the shore in january, i still prefer the shanty.

420fish
12-15-2009, 10:36 AM
The wabamun plant is only running on 1 stack, once the coal on the north side of hwy 16 is used up they are shutting down the wabamun plant. Due to keephills 3 being almost finished and sundance 3 being cunstructed there after. Can't wait to see this lake frozen over, the whites will benefit from the decrease in lake temp. I have read reports saying this lake is as clean as its ever bee now but the residual from the spill will remain for some time yet.:cry:

Albertafisher
12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks everyone!