PDA

View Full Version : burb derby?

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
with the warm weather forecast for next weekend, how many people could make it to PCR? we could have an informal burbot fish off or something like that. no prizes just fun. Im in.

npauls
12-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Which day are you thinking wayne? I work until 1pm on saturday and have all of sunday off so I could make it for a few hours on saturday and possibly all day on sunday. That of course all depends if the wife has the little one before then.

nate

kinwahkly
12-13-2009, 04:58 PM
I have never fished before for burbot, can you catch them during the day?

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 05:04 PM
seems people are catching them during the day from the posts Ive seen, anyone got any comments on this? Whatever day works, I will probably hit the lake Saturday for sure. The walleye bite during the day for sure, and the pike, Im sure there will be a few fish coming out anyways. at least on my lines :evilgrin: (jinx)

Helixed
12-13-2009, 05:05 PM
If the weathers nice I'll be near the dock by the campground on sat. Derby or not would be nice to meet some new people. :wave: Last year the Action didn't start till dark couldn't keep the bait coming fast enough.

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Thats where I will be, me and Moby have a return engagement. Since its getting dark not long after 4 should be some good fishing. My shak is marked, come say hello for sure.

latenite
12-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey Wayne, what/where is PCR? Thanks

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey Wayne, what/where is PCR? Thanks

Pine Coulee Reservoir, near Stavely. do a search and you will find about a million threads about it :) awesome catch and release walleye fishing and lots of burbs, and Moby pike.

npauls
12-13-2009, 06:32 PM
We were there all day yesterday and seen just as many burbot as we did walleye. Steady action on the cam of fish coming through all day just out from the boat launch. If I am out that way next weekend I will either be in a blue clam kenai single man flip over hut if I am alone and if I have someone coming with me I will be in a home made hut with green tarp for the side walls and rood and plywood walls on the other 2 sides. Stop by and say hey if you see me out there.

Nate

Jack&7
12-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Wayne..

I'm thinking more and more I will be there. I might get a head start because I might be "sick" on Thursday and head down there on that day as well. Some other guys on the boards were thinking about an end-of-the-week as well.

Regardless, I will be there either or both Thursday and Saturday. I can't put it off any longer!

Look for me in a 1 man Hi-tec sled/flipover. Everybody is welcome to come over and say hello.

fisherwoman
12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
So if a guy wanted to catch pike, walleye and burb at PCR what kinda bait would u suggest?

fourty12
12-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Was at PCR a few days ago and the burbs really started biting around sun down but caught a few while there was still light. After the sun was down, we couldn't get one line in before the other had a fish on it. Pink smelts were the answer... Crazy action! Just finished eating some home made fish n' chips as a result! Good luck guys.

DarkAisling
12-13-2009, 08:31 PM
I'd love to take #1 son down there on Saturday (he works on Sunday). I can't commit though, as the other-half has been working seven days a week right now. I trust no one else to watch our little one for as long as we'd be out there.

fisherwoman
12-13-2009, 08:45 PM
So how do you clean a burb? Do you have to smoke them, or can u cook then in a pan? :confused:Trying to talk him into going out there this weekend and he keeps asking me questions I dont know answers to! :lol:

Helixed
12-13-2009, 08:59 PM
So how do you clean a burb? Do you have to smoke them, or can u cook then in a pan? :confused:Trying to talk him into going out there this weekend and he keeps asking me questions I dont know answers to! :lol:

You just peel the skin off like a sock and fillet the meat off. They are delicious. You wouldn't think that by looking at them tho. :lol: They are one ugly lookin fish.

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
they really are great tasting fish, maybe because they are so ugly, have to have some sort of compensation :) sounds like there may be a good number of people, should be fun, maybe we can fry up a few right there. are the picnic tables still at the boat launch?

calgarygringo
12-13-2009, 09:21 PM
I did a burbot filet demo at one of our AO campouts this summer and showed everyone the attached video method. I have refined my method a bit where I use my cutting board on top of a 3/4 piece of plywood. Through it I have a 4 inch scew pointing up from the bottom to push the head of the burbot on. This holds the fish steady to take off his jacket and do the filet. Watch the video as this method is quick and easy. Come out with us sometime and watch as I am the designated fish cleaner. When we have a big day and several of us there is a lot to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMdD8egU_ac

fisherwoman
12-13-2009, 09:31 PM
I did a burbot filet demo at one of our AO campouts this summer and showed everyone the attached video method. I have refined my method a bit where I use my cutting board on top of a 3/4 piece of plywood. Through it I have a 4 inch scew pointing up from the bottom to push the head of the burbot on. This holds the fish steady to take off his jacket and do the filet. Watch the video as this method is quick and easy. Come out with us sometime and watch as I am the designated fish cleaner. When we have a big day and several of us there is a lot to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMdD8egU_ac

Thanks for the vid. Looks easy enough, but I didn't know there was so little meat on them! Better catch me a big one!

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the vid. Looks easy enough, but I didn't know there was so little meat on them! Better catch me a big one!

you better bring a coat with deeper pockets then :lol:

calgarygringo
12-13-2009, 09:35 PM
It is easy and yes you need lots of PCR clones to make a meal but they are plentiful. Go over to CV if you want to catch some monsters of these...

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 09:37 PM
think I will do a test on my kerosene heater this week, I know it will boil coke, maybe I can bring a pan and cook some burbs right there in the tent :) Baitwise FW, minnows and smelts on jigs , works for everything in there. Glow jigs if you have them.

npauls
12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Great minds think alike wayne. I tried a ton of hooks and slapped a glow jig on my buddies line since he is a new comer to fishing. He hammered 5 or 6 before I decided to switch it up and put on the glow jig. From there on I was constantly busy. If I am going out on saturday I would have room in my 2 man hut if someone wants to sit in warmth and watch a camera with me. I will also be setting a tip up out for the big old gators roaming the area with a big sardeen on a quick strike rig. Should be nice and warm out that day but the wind could get nasty.

Nate

fisherwoman
12-13-2009, 10:42 PM
think I will do a test on my kerosene heater this week, I know it will boil coke, maybe I can bring a pan and cook some burbs right there in the tent :) Baitwise FW, minnows and smelts on jigs , works for everything in there. Glow jigs if you have them.
I bought some glow jigs yesterday at WSS. As far a cooking fish out there, we could bring a camp stove.

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 07:25 AM
I bought some glow jigs yesterday at WSS. As far a cooking fish out there, we could bring a camp stove.

I was thinking that too, might just use my stove for a bit of heat since it wont be very cold anyways, get 2 uses out of it :) do you know what time WSS opens on a saturday morning?

romel
12-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Ok, never been to ice fishing, really wanna try PCR for burbs, was there in summer got some really nice action of eyes ... anyone here can help me this? I can drive on sat ... got some smelts in freezers but dont have ice fishing rod, only regular summer fishing rod :( .. help!!!

fisherwoman
12-14-2009, 02:04 PM
It is easy and yes you need lots of PCR clones to make a meal but they are plentiful. Go over to CV if you want to catch some monsters of these...

What/where/who is CV?

Wayne:
WSS:
Lethbridge
Hours of Operation (MST)
Monday - Wednesday 9:00 - 6:00
Thursday - Friday 9:00 - 9:00
Saturday 9:00 - 6:00
Sunday 9:00 - 5:00
Holidays 9:00 - 5:00

Contact Information
Address 3160 Fairway Street South
Lethbridge, AB.
T1K 6T9
Phone (403) 327-5760
Fax (403) 328-1016

Izumi
12-14-2009, 02:40 PM

You can eat the meat on the belly too, but some people find it fatty.

AlbertaAngler
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
What/where/who is CV?

Crawling Valley Reservoir near Bassano

calgarygringo
12-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Crawling valley is a little farther from Calgary than PCR but if you want some brutes of burbs are there. Not as many but the PCR clones are like the walleyes all the same except for an occasional bigger one. CV they seem to average 4-5 pounds and regularly hook into 8-10 pounders. Walleyes can be big there too 8-10 pounders is common. If you like lots of pike there too. They are bigger but find most are just the nice over keeper size good for the frying pan. The odd monster but we put them back. There is also perch in there too. We have not targetted them but have seen many on the fish camera.

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the store info fisherwoman, might stop in there on the way down Saturday. Gringo we will have to hook up at CV one of these weekends and you can show me where the hotspots are, love catching bigger burbs too, and its only an hour from me.

calgarygringo
12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a deal. Just remember my weekends are on weekdays so hard to do a sat or Sunday trip. I do get the odd Sunday if it works. It is one of my faves for ice fishing.

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a deal. Just remember my weekends are on weekdays so hard to do a sat or Sunday trip. I do get the odd Sunday if it works. It is one of my faves for ice fishing.

A Sunday would work for me. off the week after Christmas too so plan on lots of fishing then.

slingshotz
12-14-2009, 06:17 PM
So what day is this going to be on, Sat or Sun? Couldn't figure out what was decided from the thread.

I'm itching to get out in some decent weather.

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 06:23 PM
So what day is this going to be on, Sat or Sun? Couldn't figure out what was decided from the thread.

I'm itching to get out in some decent weather.

Im going to do Saturday, probably most people will I think. If it is really good who knows, might be there Sunday too. :D I like fishing :lol:

fisherwoman
12-15-2009, 05:28 PM
We are planing on going out Sat afternoon. Gotta get some Christmas shopping done first I'm being told. :( But if I can talk him into staying a few hours after dark, I would like to try my hand at catching Burb in the dark.

WayneChristie
12-15-2009, 05:32 PM
sounds good, knowing me I will likely be there fairly early, I want to try out those walleyes thru the ice, see if they are as much fun as off the dock. Planning on staying til after dark too, never fished in the dark before. Might bring the stove, Im not sure, might just pack some sandwiches. 4 more days :D

WayneChristie
12-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Ok, never been to ice fishing, really wanna try PCR for burbs, was there in summer got some really nice action of eyes ... anyone here can help me this? I can drive on sat ... got some smelts in freezers but dont have ice fishing rod, only regular summer fishing rod :( .. help!!!

you can always just use the bottom half of your summer rod if nothing else. or you can pick up an ice rod and reel or tip up pretty cheap. I will have an extra tip up and rod, doubt Im going to be able to get the woman on the ice until its 6 feet thick :D

Helixed
12-15-2009, 06:09 PM
sounds good, knowing me I will likely be there fairly early, I want to try out those walleyes thru the ice, see if they are as much fun as off the dock. Planning on staying til after dark too, never fished in the dark before. Might bring the stove, Im not sure, might just pack some sandwiches. 4 more days :D

I always got a kick out of seeing everyone leaving at dusk. They never knew what they were missing.:lol: Just make sure you bring a good flashlight to keep those glow jigs nice and bright.

WayneChristie
12-15-2009, 06:14 PM
I always got a kick out of seeing everyone leaving at dusk. They never knew what they were missing.:lol: Just make sure you bring a good flashlight to keep those glow jigs nice and bright.

I have a big deepcycle battery, and a 60 watt 12 volt trouble light, should work good. I find a shot with the camera flash does pretty good too :) damn now just have to work 3 more days :D

baitfisher83
12-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Too bad this isnt on a sunday, i work until 5 saturday so i could only get out there later saturday if i had a ride....My ice rod is sitting upstairs waiting for it's first trip..lol