PDA

View Full Version : My winter boat project

jusfloatin
12-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Good day all
This topic might be a bit off being jigging time is here but the older I get the later in the year I start ice fishing. Everthing is ready except me.

That being the case I find myslf starting a winter boat project and was looking for some answers and ideas.
The project is a 20' pontoon kit boat, it will have a 8'x18' walkable deck which my hopes is to inclose part of the boat so it can be used as a camping/fishing boat. Were talking a real poormans redneck houseboat.

One of my questions is alcohol on a boat, I am under the impression it is illegal to have on a boat but like any rule there are sometimes an exception. Does anyone know if there is? I would hate to think I couldn't have a cold one at the end of the day once the boat is anchored off and the beds would be set up.

Has anyone got one or know of a good link.

ghostguy6
12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
I think the only way you can legally drink on a boat is if a houseboat ( your residence) and you are docked somewhere. You can also serve alcohol if your boat is concitered a venue and you have the appropriate licenseing. Sorry I cant remember exactly how the laws are phrased.
Hope that helps

jusfloatin
12-14-2009, 06:35 AM
I think the only way you can legally drink on a boat is if a houseboat ( your residence) and you are docked somewhere. You can also serve alcohol if your boat is concitered a venue and you have the appropriate licenseing. Sorry I cant remember exactly how the laws are phrased.
Hope that helps

Thanks for the post, I guess my next move should be what or how it could be consider a house boat.

White Devil
12-14-2009, 08:24 AM
So obviously, the driver can't have any. But here is what makes it legal on a boat. You may serve booze on a boat if the boat has a toilet facility. This doesn't have to be big or anything, pick one up from Bass Pro, there boating department stocks this stuff but I don't think it is online. I found this online, it looks to be just perfect.

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/dometic/marine-portable-toilet-32581-201823.html

And then it is officially a temporary residence. Pop a top!

-White Devil

Dark
12-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I stay in my boat when camping the rules are you must have a toilet, cooking facilities and bed all of which must be permanent.

spopadyn
12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
When I bought a Malibu boat from Marine shop in Kelowna, they stipulated the rule was you needed a table (the boat came with one for that specific purpose). Once you install the portable table, the boat became temporary residence and you could then consume alcohol. The boat had to be turned off (actually didn't need to be anchored) and all was okay. Never checked it out though....

Xerophobic
01-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I stay in my boat when camping the rules are you must have a toilet, cooking facilities and bed all of which must be permanent.

This is pretty much correct. There is no "specific" liquor licence for a boat per say anymore so than there is one for your home or a campsite. But as stated the boat must become a "residence" and with the exception of larger boats with special permits if its afloat it must certainly be anchored. "Portapotties" and bbq's wont even cut it depending on what kind of officer you are dealing with. We got this question ALLLL the time when selling pontoons boats and basically despite common belief few, if any, of them were "legal" to drink on.

Joe Fehr
01-02-2010, 02:00 PM
You can transport alcohol to and from a campsite also. So if you are camping on shore somewhere you are fine to carry alcohol and then consume it on shore at your campsite. Make sure you aren't going out on the boat after though.

jusfloatin
01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
This is pretty much correct. There is no "specific" liquor licence for a boat per say anymore so than there is one for your home or a campsite. But as stated the boat must become a "residence" and with the exception of larger boats with special permits if its afloat it must certainly be anchored. "Portapotties" and bbq's wont even cut it depending on what kind of officer you are dealing with. We got this question ALLLL the time when selling pontoons boats and basically despite common belief few, if any, of them were "legal" to drink on.

I am hoping to pick up a cheap travel trailer that I can scavange a stove top and a toilet out of which both will be hard mounted.

I guess my only other question is the bed what consatute a permanent bed?
I was considering a bench fold down.

pecker
01-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I am hoping to pick up a cheap travel trailer that I can scavange a stove top and a toilet out of which both will be hard mounted.

I guess my only other question is the bed what consatute a permanent bed?
I was considering a bench fold down.

Holy Cow -- you really want to drink on the boat- don't you . :lol::lol:- can't say that i -:innocent:;):lol::wave:

jusfloatin
01-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Holy Cow -- you really want to drink on the boat- don't you . :lol::lol:- can't say that i -:innocent:;):lol::wave:

You bet and the idea of being anchored off in some nice little cove breathing in all of the beauty Kananasis lake has to offer without a cold beer in my hand would be

Well it would be just plain wrong.

nevercatchmuch
01-02-2010, 04:55 PM
you can't have any alcohol in your boat unless you want a big fine. we were out in k country and about to launch the rubber boat with trolling motor. Conservation officer came over and checked the life jackets, safety equip and asked if we had beer in the cooler. I said we did as I had grown up with people who always drink in boats. lol. Anyway, we had to remove our two beers from the cooler and put them into the trunk of the car. I felt lucky for not getting nailed on the water - a few beer are not worth it. public consumption or something similar would be the fine.

mooseknuckle
01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I got a ticket a while back 100 bucks we split it between 4 of us.

pecker
01-02-2010, 05:59 PM
You bet and the idea of being anchored off in some nice little cove breathing in all of the beauty Kananasis lake has to offer without a cold beer in my hand would be

Well it would be just plain wrong.

i don't think anyone would have a problem with that-- just don't go out again if you're the captin'. :):wave:

jusfloatin
01-03-2010, 06:52 AM
i don't think anyone would have a problem with that-- just don't go out again if you're the captin'. :):wave:

Thats sort of my problem, I have the type of luck which is fleeting and not always on my side.

Bill L
01-03-2010, 08:06 AM
try talking to your local conservation ( fish & wildlife ) office

jusfloatin
01-03-2010, 08:37 AM

I did try that route shortly after I had posted this querry and as helpful as the lady was I don't feel she understood what I was realy talking about.

Note to self: do not say aloud!

:huh: I don't think they have Pontoon boats in India..

Dark
01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I did try that route shortly after I had posted this querry and as helpful as the lady was I don't feel she understood what I was realy talking about.

Note to self: do not say aloud!

:huh: I don't think they have Pontoon boats in India..

I got checked a few times and the CO's didn't know what the rules where for a boat with lodging on board. They actually laughed and just checked our lic. didn't even check the coolers or come on board.