PDA

View Full Version : Modular ice shack

latenite
12-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi all, this is my ice shack that I made last year. I used 2x4 framing originally, way too heavy. So this year, I took it all apart, ripped the 2x4's in half. Big drop in weight.Each wall attaches to the other with 1/4x2-1/2 hex lags,i used only 2 or 3. I got the door at a second hand place for 10 bucks.I also recommend making the door it's own frame, keeps it more square.
If you have any questions/suggestions, please feel free to.
It is surprising sturdy, i pushed repeatedly on the walls and corners and it didn't budge. The paint i used was a urenthane type, it's rock hard but boy did it stink up the garage. Better to do in summer outdoors. :scared:

WayneChristie
12-13-2009, 06:21 PM
looks good. I made my floor about the same way, and insulated it with 1 inch styrofoam, doesnt add any weight and makes it so much warmer too. How is it for hauling around?

ULTRAlite
12-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Great post, thanks for sharing. Love the DIY! Do you use it like a portable, setting up and taking down each time? Or do ya use it more as a permanent?

latenite
12-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Actually, it's not bad. Sets up quick, but i usually leave it out at Brownlows Landing out at Gull Lake. I have a one man fold down tent for using at other locations. When it was still 2x4, when i stacked it up in the back of the truck, it was almost as high as the cab. Now it barely comes above the box. The heaviest part is the 3/4" thick floor. It's surprising how warm it is with no insulation.

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-13-2009, 08:04 PM
nice work looks good

Albertadiver
12-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Nice lookin' unit. What's the interior size?

latenite
12-14-2009, 10:05 AM
The floor is a 3/4" sheet of 4x8 plywood, framing is 2x2, so it's pretty darn close to 4'x8'. All wall pieces lag screw together, for easy transport, as i don't have a trailer to haul it out assembled. The door side is 6 1/2 feet tall, back wall side is 6 feet. It used to be 7-8 feet tall, but I didn't need it that tall, so I shortened it to save weight. The only issue is when assembling, most times the spot i put it on isn't flat, so i have to wedge it up in certain spot to line up the walls, but when it's all screwed together, it doesn't budge.
I can assemble it in roughly 15-20 min.