PDA

View Full Version : What's that reservoir?

pikester
12-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Hey folks, can anyone tell me the name of the reservoir East of Enchant about 5km on 526 then 1 km South? I've only driven by there once & it looked promising but I don't recall seeing any signs or anything. Thanks.

AlbertaAngler
12-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Hey folks, can anyone tell me the name of the reservoir East of Enchant about 5km on 526 then 1 km South? I've only driven by there once & it looked promising but I don't recall seeing any signs or anything. Thanks.

Lost Lake

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 07:23 AM

Thats Lost lake, hard to access too.

superspud
12-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Where is Enchant? I need a spot to take youth kids within a hour of calgary where they can get into fish for sure.

AlbertaAngler
12-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Definately not within an hour closer to 2.0 to 2.5 depending on where you are in Calgary. It is roughly between Lomond and Vauxhaul. Your best bet for within an hour would be Pine Coulee Reservoir (PCR) just West of Stavely. Great in the summer for walleye (all C&R) and still good in the winter for walleye and burbot.

or

Chain lakes south of Longview for stocked trout. Closer to 1.5 hours from Calgary but a sure thing if you're using velveeta cheese

pikester
12-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Thats Lost lake, hard to access too.

How so Wayne? Does it require landowner permission or is there just a really rough trail in?

jts1
12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Where is Enchant? I need a spot to take youth kids within a hour of calgary where they can get into fish for sure.

Are you still looking to get the kids out..

superspud
12-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Hopefully i will be able too. My girl friend works with child services and when i can i like to take a kid or two out. i have taken them to chain lakes before, but it is more then a hour drive which is to long for saftey regs and such.

so ya Jts i am looking to take some kids out, but i am only back in calgary from the 22nd till the 5th. so it is kinda questionable since these things take time to set up. what do ya have in mind?

now that i think about it i could just take them out to chestermere....but it is not always for sure action there.(though usually pretty good)

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 05:44 PM
How so Wayne? Does it require landowner permission or is there just a really rough trail in?

far as I know you have to follow the canal in, I tried from one of the grid roads and it doesnt go all the way. theres another reservoir by Vauxhall, down the golf course road where the private campground is that is supposed to be good too. You would have to check out the road on google maps, they wont let you in the campground, but there is a road east of it that goes to the dam. I forget what its called tho

pikester
12-14-2009, 08:11 PM
far as I know you have to follow the canal in, I tried from one of the grid roads and it doesnt go all the way. theres another reservoir by Vauxhall, down the golf course road where the private campground is that is supposed to be good too. You would have to check out the road on google maps, they wont let you in the campground, but there is a road east of it that goes to the dam. I forget what its called tho

Thanks for the heads-up. Was thinking about the possibilities of spring flyfishing. Might be a little more accessable then.

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Was thinking about the possibilities of spring flyfishing. Might be a little more accessable then.

Talk to me in the spring, I will steer you to somewhere better , if you dont mind wading for pike and catching a lot of them.

pikester
12-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Geeeeez Wayne, let me think about that for a minute...DONE & DONE:D I think flyfishing for slough sharks is one of the most addicting things I have ever gotten started on & there certainly is no cure!

John

goldscud
12-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Pikester, what are you using for the leader on your fly line? Do you just use floating lines or sink-tips as well?
In the past I just used a little steel leader to connect to the fly but I'm sure others do it differently.
I'm getting bored catching big rainbows in the spring...I might have to go exercise some slough sharks next year.

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Geeeeez Wayne, let me think about that for a minute...DONE & DONE:D I think flyfishing for slough sharks is one of the most addicting things I have ever gotten started on & there certainly is no cure!

John

hillbillies dont use a wimpy hook with a couple little feathers tied on it for fishin, our fish like the whole dam bird :evilgrin:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/August%206%2009/DSCF7397.jpg

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 09:24 PM
goldscud I owe you for the Enchant tip, I will hook you up with lake X in the spring too :D

pikester
12-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Pikester, what are you using for the leader on your fly line? Do you just use floating lines or sink-tips as well?
In the past I just used a little steel leader to connect to the fly but I'm sure others do it differently.
I'm getting bored catching big rainbows in the spring...I might have to go exercise some slough sharks next year.

Most of the flying for pike do is in the spring/early summer so I end up using only floating lines (they make special pike tapers) & intermediate sinking. The last couple years I've just been using a 6-8ft piece of 15 or 17lb test flourocarbon with a run-of-the-mill 9" steel leader for a tippet & it works just fine.

pikester
12-14-2009, 09:52 PM
hillbillies dont use a wimpy hook with a couple little feathers tied on it for fishin, our fish like the whole dam bird :evilgrin:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/August%206%2009/DSCF7397.jpg

Wayne, what size 2x4 do I use to cast that, 12ft or 16ft?:D

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 09:55 PM
I prefer a 12 foot piece of 3x3 angle iron, cuts the wind better :lol:

goldscud
12-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Oh man Wayne, you showed my secret fly. 12/0 Short eared grebe...nothing secret on the internet.

pikester
12-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Oh man Wayne, you showed my secret fly. 12/0 Short eared grebe...nothing secret on the internet.

Ah ha... your loss is our gain goldscud:lol:

Piker
12-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Pikester why dont you get ahold of Sundancefisher on the board here and see if you can fish the perch on Sundance Lake. They are trying to lower the perch population. He holds fishouts quite regularily on the lake. Piker

pikester
12-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Pikester why dont you get ahold of Sundancefisher on the board here and see if you can fish the perch on Sundance Lake. They are trying to lower the perch population. He holds fishouts quite regularily on the lake. Piker

Thanks, I might just do that now the weather is becoming civilized!

dodger
12-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Lost Lake is great for catching a 100 " Hammer Handles " ,no big Pike but infested with the small guys. We use to get a howl out of watching 2 Pike come flying into your hole as you try to get your Smelt close to the bottom.
Dodger.