PDA

View Full Version : Using a 19.2v Craftsman for a 8" hand auger

Dukewild
12-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Recently bought a new drill and planning on getting the Drill/ Auger attchement. Im just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the 8" auger or should i be getting a 6".

camshaft
12-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Good luck with a 8" auger. Best to stick with a 6" at best. Most set ups using a cordess are 4, 5 and 6". In fact, I dont think I have even seen a cordless using a 8" auger.

The problem is that it is a lot of stress on your drill with a 8". U will probably start to feel the drill body twisting, and it likely wont last long at all. Not much good when u have a $200 drill rendered useless IMO.

I hear the smaller bits work real well on ice up to around 18" though.

Let us know how u make out

edit

I stand corrected. I think this guy may be using a 8"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lUxUEE778w

with a 36v drill mind you. Good explanation of the need to be using a commercial built quality drill.....minimum 24v

Kevin C.
12-14-2009, 01:14 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=47491

gpguy7
12-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm picking up a 6 inch auger on Saturday, 8 inch seems like a lot of work for
my 19.2s to handle. Just my opinion but I'd stick below 8

bigjeff
12-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I've used the drill on my 8' a few times and only found a few issues. First one is that a full battery would give two or three holes in two feet of ice. Which really isnt a big deal if you carry two or even three batteries, or if the ice is thiner.

Second was it takes a heck of arm and wrist to hang on to it. If it catches or grabs I could see how if could mess up your wrist or arm. I guess bottom line if you need only a few holes punched and are a gym rat and dont mind replacing your drill every couple of years...the 8' is ok.

Dougie55
12-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I have no problem using my Craftsman or my Dewalt on my 6 inch, but I think I would hesitate on using it on an 8 inch. My buddy used his on both last year, but said it stalled the drill on the 8 inch using it on about 20 inch ice. I guess the drill hasn't been the same since..haha
Be careful using a drill though, as if you hit something, or it catches at all, it really snaps your wrist. The new attachment I have with the metal handle has already saved my wrist once this year. Without one, I would really sujest you keep the drill right next to your leg to make sure it doesn't 'get you'.