PDA

View Full Version : What's your profession?

Pages : 1 [2]

badger
12-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Consultant on Contract, Reservoir Engineering for the last 10 years. I have no idea how I got here.

scooterj
12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I was also in the Mil., 17 yrs as a Patricia, and 5 as a Mat Tech, now a mobile field mechanic/welder professional D-F'r for the Railway..

Geezle
12-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Wow, I haven't had much time to post the past few days, but this thread has really taken off!

It's neat to see the cross-section of jobs everybody on the board does, and it's awesome to see the number of people involved in the military, good job guys! :cool:

gonefishin
12-24-2009, 09:27 AM
9 years as a Signal Operator in the military, but time for a change... any of you independant fellows need an employee?:)

Bogman
12-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I am Captain and Operations Manager for Charlotte Queen Adventures . A 12 person floating sportfishing lodge on the west side of the Queen Charlotte Islands.

M70
12-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Downsized from my last job as a coat check attendant at a nudist resort. Currently apprenticing as an Elvis impersonator. Thinking about going back to school as an underage student in the Walmart greeter program.

coolpoolken
12-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm a Aircraft Metals Technician (Old Air Force Trade). I presently do metal and structural repairs to Canada's CF-18's for L3 Comunications here in Cold Lake. I've been doing this for 30 years now. Been with the F-18's since they came to Cold Lake, both as military and now Civilian. One more year till retirement.....Ken

pickrel pat
12-24-2009, 11:54 AM
OK...i'll bite, was this a joke or are you serious. Love fishing and not hunting??? Just curious, kind of find it funny or do you actually work for "PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS":lol:im a furnace cleaner.

getasheep
12-24-2009, 12:40 PM
almost 75% of an MD. Currently in Medical School. Will be looking for a nice town to setup a practice in about 3 years.

Rantastic
01-01-2010, 10:40 AM
remote starter and accessory installer... Keeps me busier than i want to be... Funny with this por economy people still gotta have their toys and my job just keeps getting busier... We hire another guy and now we want two more.

Tuc
01-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Presently:

A grunt (valve survey) for The City of Calgary, DC - Water Services.
Past:

Transferd over from City Parks after 15 years in that Dep't
Journeyman Cook, here, there and everywhere
1st job, Dep't of Lands and Forests, N.S., fighting forest fires, road side development, fire towers, picking up dead animals off roads, you name it we did it.
Regrets:

:tongue2: I've hard a few but then again too few too mention (kidding) :lol:
Should have stayed with the Dep't of Lands and Forests. Interesting job and I had the option of going to Conservation School in N.B. and training for a Forest Ranger or a Game Warden after 5 years of service.

You know the old saying, knowing what we know today when we were "young & foolish" ! :cry:

Roughneck71
01-01-2010, 12:40 PM
im a utility tree trimmer, certified at olds collage. i clear the lines for altalink around stony plain to drayton to red deer all over. work 10 days then back home to gp for 4 days...good job on our own, no bosses around.:wave:
Darrell

Hugin&munin
01-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I heavy equipment opperator for M.A.P. EARTHWORKS in the city Edmonton I spend most of my time on dozer but can run anything they have!!!:wave:

backpacker
01-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Journeyman Millwright for the last 14yrs., before that I worked drilling rigs for about 15yrs. Recently moved to the flat lands from Mackenzie,BC.

Shmag
01-01-2010, 07:36 PM
im a furnace cleaner.

LMAO... i like you already. Still can't beleive i was the only one that fell for it:wave:

whitetailsheds
01-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Was a Biological Sciences Technician (NAIT Grad '86), little work in that. And now a Registered Psychiatric Nurse (20+ years).

TreeGuy
01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
im a utility tree trimmer, certified at olds collage. i clear the lines for altalink around stony plain to drayton to red deer all over. work 10 days then back home to gp for 4 days...good job on our own, no bosses around.:wave:
Darrell

D, you're out of a bucket I hope. No climbing, right?

Tree

bobalong
01-01-2010, 11:40 PM
First twenty years, electrical construction, the last 10 or so outdoor retail.

drenalinjunkie
01-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I am a granite/marble/limestone cladder. I put up the rocks in hi-rise and high-end buildings across the continent.
junkie

Kelly & Beth
01-02-2010, 06:48 AM
track hoe operator but will run anything that moves dirt. :evilgrin:

sportster
01-02-2010, 08:16 AM
heavy hauling in the good ole oilpatch, or i mean used to be good. rig moving

genoel
01-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I work in the lab at the Royal Alex hospital. Never lacking for things to do. We're open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Best thing about my job is that I work 12 hour shifts, so with vacation and stat days I only work about 150 days a year. Lots of time for fishing and camping. (Sleep in my camper on average 50 night per year.):)

Winch101
01-02-2010, 08:50 AM
I actually retired about 8 yrs ago after ...30 yrs . of selling guns , tackle and golf equipment all across western canada . Got in about 2 yrs but my wife said I was depressed just fishing , hunting and golfing all the time.:ashamed:
When she went to work ... So have sold Roofing for the last 6 yrs . in southern alberta ,dont ask how that happened . Can still hunt and fish when I want but do have to show up sometime . Its a great life if you dont weaken !

Geezle
01-02-2010, 08:51 AM
remote starter and accessory installer... Keeps me busier than i want to be... Funny with this por economy people still gotta have their toys and my job just keeps getting busier... We hire another guy and now we want two more.
It's really kinda sick...no matter how poorly we're doing, people still just *have* to have their toys :o

Geezle
01-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Was a Biological Sciences Technician (NAIT Grad '86), little work in that. And now a Registered Psychiatric Nurse (20+ years).

Psychiatric nurse huh? I bet you've acquired some good stories over the years :)

Geezle
01-02-2010, 08:55 AM
track hoe operator but will run anything that moves dirt. :evilgrin:

Running a track hoe or anything big like that always looked like a fun job to me :cool:

Kelly & Beth
01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm going in for insurance broker, first test for my level one is Jan 20 and second level is Jan 27.
Beth

boomstick
01-04-2010, 10:07 PM
rotating equipment technologist (ie millwright )
making engineers look good for 34 years!

but i really want to be a profesional bra fitter, i have the hands for it ya know.:p

drake
01-04-2010, 10:14 PM
I breed champion ferrets and chinchillas......the money from 2 ferrets= a tank of gas to go hunting. The skin from one chinchilla=1 box of factory 270 wtby ammo.

kreator
01-04-2010, 10:14 PM
High School Math/Science Teacher
Firefighter
Working on becoming a Level I Fire Inspector

tommyhil79
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Derrickhand, Rig 67, Nabors Production Services, Brooks.

Joe Fehr
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Production Well Test Supervisor currently working in the Outback.

Stahler
01-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Derrickhand, Rig 67, Nabors Production Services, Brooks.

Yeah and you suck at it:D

220swifty
01-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Lumber Monkey (Residential Framer)

I do a bit of general contracting and have a crew of 3 guys to run. One day it will all pay off and i will be able to hunt outside of Alberta (not that there is anything wrong with the hunting in Alberta, i just like different)

roger
01-05-2010, 03:56 AM
power engineer, plumber, gasfitter, deisel fitter.
and have to deal with people like 'whitetailsheds' on a daily basis:)
im waaay to pretty to get dirty!:lol::huh:

scombden
01-05-2010, 05:41 AM
ERP (emergency room physician)

Not enough time off to hunt, so I frequent these boards and hunt vicariously through your hunting stories. Keep them coming!!

sc (still waiting to break in a browning white gold medallion 30-06, and citori white lightening hunter)

Enigma
03-18-2010, 08:10 PM
bump...there. all the info for anyone new.

AndrewM
03-19-2010, 07:39 AM
I will post in this thread too. I am a production engineer for an oil company.

Enigma
11-20-2010, 12:45 PM
bump...there. all the info for anyone new.

ditto

elkhunter11
11-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I lead a team of Electricians and Instrument techs at an oilsands plant.

KegRiver
11-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Me, I'm a highway maintenance worker. IE. Snowplow operator.

Mostly I'm a truck driver and jack of all trades.

For most of my life I have made my living driving something, anything.
Bakery Van, Taxi, every size and configuration of big truck, even drug a few houses down the highway from Pine Point.

I've been a cat skinner, water well tech, seismic driller, forestry regen surveyor, big game guide, county trapper, farm worker, and I don't know what all else. I nearly forgot, heavy duty mechanic, and radio repairman.

Most of all I'm my grandson's fishing partner. That's the job that means the most to me.

S-in-Cochrane
11-20-2010, 01:54 PM
electrical engineer at an oilsands construction company.

__
S

FlyFishFairwx
11-20-2010, 03:46 PM
At 18 I was changing Tractor tlr tires, saw a guy loose his right arm and head, to a deep lock ring.

Joined the army at 20 and have not worked a day since!! (if you love the work is it really work?)

Retired from the army 2006, worked E911 and EMS (EMR) for 8 years part time my last (Wait for it) 8yrs in the army..

Now just hunt and fly fish for a living (life) and keep Mother Fairwx happy!!!

I did pick up a side job, that has some great benefits, and perks..

http://projecthealingwaters.ca/2009/10/13/meet-ray-fairweather-vice-president/

Alberta Bigbore
11-20-2010, 04:02 PM
L.C.V. operator Longer.Combination.Vehicle.

(Extended Length truck driver, lol)

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/0515092124.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/mytruck.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/media1-23.jpg

deerhunter
11-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Retired from Wesco Distribution. Moved out of Cgy to a small towm 5 hours north and now am with the towns Public Works Dept. Bst job ever!:)

KegRiver
11-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Very cool rig Alberta Bigbore.

And that is one configuration of truck I have not driven. Never a train for me. Pole trailers, high boys, low boys, 5 and 7 axle, 8 and 16 wheal lowboys, combine trailers, tankers, grain trailers, and trombones but never a train.

I think I got out of long hauling just in time. Trains were just getting started and log books were on the horizon. I took to the bush before they made me look like an amateur. LOL A mans gotta know his limitations.

bb356
11-20-2010, 06:50 PM
keep up the good work there keg river ! keepin the roads clear for guys like Alberta Bigbore and everybody on the roads . when we see these guys on the road give them a big wave ! these guys keep the country movin! .................... just a little motivation there might be a lot of snow this winter and its just starting !............ safe driving every one !

Flight01
11-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Control room operator for An oil company up in Fort McMurray. (bring it on):argue2:

GaryF
11-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Electrical Contractor, going on 22yrs.

KegRiver
11-21-2010, 11:42 AM
keep up the good work there keg river ! keepin the roads clear for guys like Alberta Bigbore and everybody on the roads . when we see these guys on the road give them a big wave ! these guys keep the country movin! .................... just a little motivation there might be a lot of snow this winter and its just starting !............ safe driving every one !

Thank you bb356, we do get friendly waves quite a lot. It really helps when the snow is blowing and we have to drive while everyone else stays home. Like on Christmas day. Or when the rut is on, like now :) :) :)

glen1971
11-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Oilfield electrician... Used to work on the road and gave up that rodeo and am home every night now.. Living in the mountains..

great white whaler
11-21-2010, 01:36 PM
j man Autobody an automotive 28 years ,welder fabricator ,do minor auto body repairs at home,restore fibreglass boats and small engine repair,and i love to work with wood,,,,,is seeking employment,,is slow out there like 16 busses as moved out of this town in the last year..hope it picks up

hilton
11-21-2010, 02:05 PM
I work for Victim Services and I help Victims of Crime and or Trauma.

davis
11-21-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm a consultant with a national financial services company. Investments, insurance, mortgages, banking products, etc. Lots of hours at the office, even more hours on the phone, endless studying for certification exams; but I get to meet new people and help them out when they let me.

Huntsman
11-21-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm in the Military where I repair weapons from 9mm pistol to 155mm M777

Mxyzptik
11-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Power Lineman turned Public Relations dude

Christofficer
11-21-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm unemployed right now, but my last job was a computer technician. I had a painting business with a partner up until a few years ago when the economy went into the toilet. I'm learning how to drive a big rig right now so hopefully can get some work doing that, but it's hard to find a driving job that pays good especially for a rookie. Should be alot easier for me though because my dad has been driving for just over 20 years and is a certified trainer. Already got my 'Q' endorsement and all that.

that's about it for me though.

nice volvo bigbore. You double trailer haulers don't get the money that you should be making pulling those long things. I dunno what your company pays you but my father was gonna drive for bison till they told him what they were gonna pay him.

bb356
11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
truck drivers put alot of free time in that they dont get payed for ! its not all driving driving down the road while playing your favorite tunes !

TheClash
11-22-2010, 11:58 AM
was going to school to become a teacher, but I have switched back to my past career field.

I am now an accounts manager and product rep for Klim technical riding gear.

MightyMiss
11-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Well I guess I can input mine. I am currently an agricultural crop supply sales rep, but I spent the last six years as an environmental chemist in labs, as well as being the operations coordinator for a division of an environmental lab.

Redfrog... I know all about the "turkey Baster", but with cows, sheep, and pigs. If you do it right wil cows and are working in teams you can get crap all over the guy standing next to you and none on yourself...

Stinky Buffalo
11-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Electronics Technologist... Lots of software, some hardware... Always entertaning, and allows me to see interesting parts of the world. :wave:

Stinky

Christofficer
11-22-2010, 08:49 PM
truck drivers put alot of free time in that they dont get payed for ! its not all driving driving down the road while playing your favorite tunes !Uhmmm...ok?

CaberTosser
11-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Geesh. I thought I posted in this one, but it was likely one of the many others like it.

I'm a plumber/gasfitter serviceman, journeyman since early 1994. Residential & commercial.... I like the variety.

vcmm
11-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Butcher for 32 years

Mickey
11-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Too all those that serve. Thank you. You are never given the credit you deserve.

I own an Oilfield Trucking Company.

Can be the most rewarding and frustrating job in the same breath.

Drivers are not given the respect that they deserve either. (not trying to measure them against service men and women)

Remember everything that you are using right now, was on a truck at some point in its existence. These good men and women helped get it to you.

MightyMiss
11-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Uhmmm...ok?
It's true. My husband is a truck driver for the County. Drives gravel trucks in the summer, plow trucks in the winter. He goes to work an hour and a half early everyday to start/warm his truck and do his inspections because they want him on the road right at start time and he doesn't get paid for any of that extra time.

MightyMiss
11-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I would like to thank everyone who makes my life easier:

-Service men/women
-trucker
-Essential services
-Farmers
-butchers
-Everyone

Basically everyone who has a job has it to make someone elses life easier so thank you all.

vettedreamer
11-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Contract oilfield operator home every night and part time raising snow white labradors. Tried twice to step out of the hustle of the patch both times unsuccessful :mad0100: BUT I'll get it right one day

rawhide
11-24-2010, 08:55 AM
I work in the Oilfield as a Completion hand, running Open and Cased hole tools in Canada and around the world. Been to 26 countries in the last 4 years, lots of stories and moments. Believe me when I say thet Living and working in Canada is the best Place in the world to be.:sHa_shakeshout: 98% of Canadian don't understand the gift and value of living here. Funny note, only time I have had a hard time with Customs. Is when I arrive back in Canada! :angry3:Travel all over the Middle East and thru Iran, etc. and no problems.:thinking-006:

Cheers,,

AvayaAce
11-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Telecom for 30 years, installer, engineer, and now sales. Time split between Calgary and Edmonton,

Tyangelo
12-07-2010, 06:58 PM
J-man Machinist over here.

oilngas
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Oilfield / office consultant, was retired til recessionated.

Dumbo_Dave
12-07-2010, 07:49 PM
I was a mechanic when I was 16 with my frst car (53 Chev) - I'm still a mechanic, turning screwdrivers - computer repair.

pogo
12-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Going on 13 years as a pilot.. worked in almost every capacity except airlines. Currently seasonally employed as an air tanker pilot.

Last winter I worked at WSS, this winter, nothing.

High speed, heavy aluminum driving is not what it's cracked up to be. Most of those guys sit there at 30 some odd thousand feet staring out the window reminiscing about how great it was down there closer to the earth. That, and getting brain cancer.

Covet every second you slip the surly bonds of earth because, before you know it, they're telling you you can't do it anymore.

"Before take-off, a professional pilot is keen, anxious, but lest someone read his true feelings he is elaborately casual. The reason for this is that he is about to enter a new though familiar world. The process of entrance begins a short time before he leaves the ground and is completed the instant he is in the air. From that moment on, not only his body but his spirit and personality exist in a separate world known only to himself and his comrades.

As the years go by, he returns to this invisible world rather than to earth for peace and solace. There also he finds a profound enchantment, although he can seldom describe it. He can discuss it with others of his kind, and because they too know and feel its power they understand. But his attempts to communicate his feelings to his wife or other earthly confidants invariable end in failure.

Flying is hypnotic and all pilots are willing victims to the spell. Their world is like a magic island in which the factors of life and death assume their proper values. Thinking becomes clear because there are no earthly foibles or embellishments to confuse it. Professional pilots are, of necessity, uncomplicated, simple men. Their thinking must remain straightforward, or they die — violently.

The men in this book are fictitious characters but their counterparts can be found in cockpits all over the world. Now they are flying a war. Tomorrow they will be flying a peace, for, regardless of the world's condition, flying is their life."

— Ernest K. Gann, forward to 'Island in the Sky,' 1944.

sureshot
12-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I've been driving truck for 15 years and just recently purchased my own.

Artist
12-07-2010, 09:06 PM
A pastor / Wildlife artist.

hayseed
12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Manage a drilling rig moving company in central AB ( heavy oilfield transportation )

johnheat
12-07-2010, 10:58 PM
crane operator apprentice city of Edmonton.

Vinny_HC
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Just on the engineering side I'd guess the job losses are in 4 figures; rumor has it maybe is 5 figures. Similarly for oilfield construction & fabrication, several have gone broke. I'm told drilling is quite slow with a few guys operating just to make cashflow (ie no profit just keeping the banker at bay). I don't personally know of anyone who has lost his house over it but many lifestyle changes. Pretty bleak.

Zeke

Zeke where did you get your degree? We might have gone to university at the same time?

catnthehat
12-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Union carpewnter/scaffolder for over 25 years, done everything from being a tool hand to suoervision for the Alberta Building Trades Contractors.
Currently working as a business agent for Northern Alberta.
There are LOTS of days I would rather be in the field 100' feet up with the boyz, or rigging in a guge form, but someoine has to do this job and apparently I've been told I'm good at it!:(
Cat

burblecut
12-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Business Advisor in the Healthcare Industry.

tractor1971
12-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Family physician doing ER shifts and obstetrics, c/sections and so forth.

pogo
12-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Family physician doing ER shifts and obstetrics, c/sections and so forth.

You're really up to your elbows in things, aren't you. ;)

Cheers!

tractor1971
12-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I look worse hunting and butchering (animals that is), rest of the time I must try and look presentable. I can only try my best....

gergarin
12-09-2010, 05:43 PM
ummm.......Insurance adjuster

I know I know BOOOOOOOO

honda450
12-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Work in the frozen north looking for black stuff. SAGD projects mostly. Guys up there looking for diamonds too.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/100_0221.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/100_0226.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/100_0248.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/100_0225-1.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/100_0213.jpg

tkhiebs
12-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Welder for 10 years rig welder for 4 years. Ya it has its ups and downs.

Coulee
12-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Security executive for a large multi-national corp.

Arn?Narn.
02-12-2011, 10:54 PM
bump

WaterSkeeter
02-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I just received a new position at work, ill be a underground miner. Should be interesting

Arn?Narn.
02-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I just received a new position at work, ill be a underground miner. Should be interesting

ouch

WaterSkeeter
02-12-2011, 10:57 PM
ouch

I wanted it, real good money, good group of guys and the safety record for the UG side is great

hayseed
02-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Dang it Honda... yer the one leaving those funny tripods in the middle of nowhere.... here i thought it was .... sasquatch......do they really exist??

gprime27
02-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Computer technician :). Specializing in networking and Aple comuters. Not limited to servers and windows machines also :)

honda450
02-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Dang it Honda... yer the one leaving those funny tripods in the middle of nowhere.... here i thought it was .... sasquatch......do they really exist??

Yup they do seen the tracks. Hijacked my quad one day and ate my lunch.

Arn?Narn.
02-13-2011, 11:52 AM
lots of people doing interesting stuff ...

deepfried
02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
still an aircraft mechanic :sHa_shakeshout:

gatesniffer
02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
assistant production foreman up north in Wabasca.

buster92
02-13-2011, 01:17 PM
I service commercial cooking equipment.

honda450
02-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Here's your new theme song Skeeter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS3ErDN50Qk

My Dad worked underground at International Coke and Coal in the Crowsnest Pass years ago. He was a dinky operator.

Dang its dark down there.

WaterSkeeter
02-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Here's your new theme song Skeeter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS3ErDN50Qk

My Dad worked underground at International Coke and Coal in the Crowsnest Pass years ago. He was a dinky operator.

Dang its dark down there.

LOL, apparently they will make great use of me due to my size and apparently the UG miners there are the toughest and hardest working son of a guns there. Well thats what the boss said lol.

and thats my new favorite song.

honda450
02-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Don't want to discourage ya either but my uncle was gassed at the mine at Hillcrest. Sure safety has improved since then.

silver
02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
I have dug ditches, shovelled manure, worked rigs, busted tires, drove truck, swung a dragline, and been a cat skinner. Now I fly a sky hook, being a crane operator is the best job there is.

jacob1202
02-13-2011, 07:42 PM
i grew up with the old man running heavy equipment around pigeon lake... we pretty much had a monopoly around there... and now i run hoe/dozer for a living... it aint much but i am constantly learning and im always outside and usually in good moose country... ive pretty much maxed out on what i will ever get paid unless i start buying my own equipment but thats ok cuz the old lady is a chartered accountant

RandyBoBandy
02-13-2011, 07:51 PM
President, General Manager,and janitor(toliet cleaner) for a ridiculously honest automotive shop in edmonton:fighting0030::fighting0030:

catnthehat
02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
I have dug ditches, shovelled manure, worked rigs, busted tires, drove truck, swung a dragline, and been a cat skinner. Now I fly a sky hook, being a crane operator is the best job there is.

I started operating cranes in '73, took my ticket in '75, then found out id=t was MORE fun on the other end of the hook!
In those days it was common for us to ride the ball, and there were no computers, just charts.
on a max lift there would always be a rigger on the far outrigger or track watching to make sure to let the operator know as soon as he saw some lift!
Those sure were fun days!
Cat

Grouse Assassin
02-13-2011, 08:07 PM
I run a Nitrogen pump for sanjel 10 years of trucking got old after a while

Hunter65
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Bridge Technologist

Keeping (new and used) bridges safe for Albertans.

RayB's
02-13-2011, 08:26 PM
I've been a journeyman carpenter since 1991, and been in the housing market the whole time. I've done everything from footings to framing, siding and roofing, insulating & drywall, cabinetry and painting. All great experience.

I've also been an estimator for the engineered wood products (floor joists and beams) that are used in new homes today.

Worked in a Weyerhauser planer mill as a lumber grader, and from 1998 to present I have been running a private drafting business. I draw houses for smaller home builders, and for private clients as well.

cochranenite
02-13-2011, 09:51 PM
millwright a ceement plant in dusty exshaw, before that doing my apprenticeship with a contractors in calgary, meat packing plants, sluaghter plants in calgary and moose jaw and lots of other cool plants

Gongshow
02-13-2011, 10:40 PM
I am a special education teacher at a high school. Although the government is trying to do away with the special education part!

Erik
02-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Just finished my B. Com in Finance. Having a helluva time getting anybody to call me. :confused:

Bored out of my mind working retail right now. Hoping desperately to hear from one of my many applications so I can start a new challenge. Frustrating!

North of Owlseye
02-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Im a blind lumbergrader. Do it by smell.

Tuc
02-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I use to be a professional 'Know it All'. One of the best, as I got older I found out I don't know nothing. Hmmm?

On a more serious note, retired from the City of Calgary. Once the work runs out at the cabin and if I can ever get tired of fishing and hunting, I may go back to work part time.

colt45
02-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Oil field Service rig consultant , currently wabasca area

AxeMan
02-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Im a blind lumbergrader. Do it by smell.

lmao. I actually heard a really funny joke about a blind lumbergrader last week. The punch line went something like: "smells like the door off a tuna fish boat." You can put the rest of the joke together from that. :lol:

spot and stock
02-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I am currently running mwd tools up by Redwater, best gig of my life 5 on 2off and close to home to boot. I also run a small oilfield appraisal company, mostly small production facilities and rigs.

CaberTosser
02-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I am a special education teacher at a high school. Although the government is trying to do away with the special education part!

So you must have the professional perspective to realize the AO membership is largely a lost cause?
;)

Spartan30-06
02-15-2011, 11:32 AM
IT instructor, teach Microsoft product courses.

kokanee83
02-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Roughneck for PD

Gongshow
02-15-2011, 12:46 PM
So you must have the professional perspective to realize the AO membership is largely a lost cause?
;)

HAHA! GOOD one Caber!

and to answer your question...........yes.:scared0018:

ccmckee
02-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I look after a small office building downtown, all the maintenance and management parts.It's like looking after a 32,000 sqft house always something needs looking at. Before that i wasa service supervisor for Lanier Canada fixing copiers/facs an d voice equipment.

RumRugby
02-15-2011, 02:17 PM
I've been working at my pa's automotive repair shop here in Edmonton for I think just about 6 years now as an automotive service adviser. I control payables, receivables, payroll, work orders, estimates, parts ordering/returns, invoicing, inventory, any sort of janitorial requirements in the front office, engine computer reprogramming, receptionist. . .so on and so forth. I don't know about other shops around but it sure has been slow the last few years. Hopefully it picks up soon.

tbiddy
02-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Drilling waste tech. Also do some soil, veg assessments, and water well testing.

Hun-Ter
02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
President, General Manager,and janitor(toliet cleaner) for a ridiculously honest automotive shop in edmonton:fighting0030::fighting0030:

Are you guys specializing on one or few brands or just a general automotive shop?

Hun-Ter
02-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Long time in the automotive service industry, now a service manager (use to be a master automotive tech, service advisor, foreman in the US) of a european car specialty shop in the caribbean region and also a part-time technical advisor here: www.repairpal.com
My strength is in BMW and Volvo but I can diagnose and repair pretty much any cars.
Since there is no hunting here (I have missed 3 seasons already) I'm planning to leave and move to AB. I have few offers lined up, so things are looking good.
BTW, I also have a pastry chef degree. :D

Hun

yoteman
02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
I work for the Prov. Gov't. as a corrections officer at the P.Albert Corr. Centre. I also do predator control work for the Gov't as well, this is in Prince Albert, Sask.

npbra
02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
30 plus years firefighting, now a platoon chief with the city department.

Albertadiver
02-16-2011, 07:54 AM
30 plus years firefighting, now a platoon chief with the city department.

My Uncle retired as a platoon chief in Red Deer a few years back. My brother just started his career in FF and has been working on the industrial side so far. He'd like to get on with a City eventually though.

Welcome to the forum

AlbinoMoose
09-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Customer Support Manager for an oil & gas software developer in Calgary.

We develop field to office reporting software for the entire well life cycle. (Geology, Construction, Drilling, Completions etc.)

donabb
09-21-2011, 03:52 PM
5 years Canadian Armed forces (Navy Medic)
Sait (welding)
Built Rigs
Worked on rigs
Currently Drilling Consultant/ Field superintendent

brewski
09-21-2011, 04:02 PM
journeyman sheet metal worker, one season of outfitting, im avaliable for hire for both!!! if anyone is interested, i was going to make a another thread about this, any outfitters on here need someone asap? if so pm me.

oh and thanks for paying your e.i. fellas i got to elk hunting for a week lol :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Coldone
09-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Electrician... I've been Estimating for the last couple months but am on the verge of a breakdown and looking for anyway to get back out in the field... I'm thinking Oilfield electrical work next mainly because I want to see more of the Province..

Rhino81
09-21-2011, 04:31 PM
oil and gas well operator, farmer, big game guide. when do i find time to myself.....

fishzilla
09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
environmental consultant on drilling rigs

Bellero
09-21-2011, 05:08 PM
17+ years in the Canadian Army.

10 years in the armored corp and 7 as an MSE OP (trucker).

Spidey
09-21-2011, 05:14 PM
I work for the Prov. Gov't. as a corrections officer at the P.Albert Corr. Centre. I also do predator control work for the Gov't as well, this is in Prince Albert, Sask.

So..... same office then? :)

HighWildnFree
09-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Oilfield Trucker. And pro beer consumer.

Roughneck71
09-21-2011, 08:22 PM
may have posted here awile ago??anyway im a utility tree trimmer/slasher,work out of stony plain within 3 hours......anyone have the big ole transmission lines on there property,ill be there....lol
Darrell

SHORTMAG
09-21-2011, 08:50 PM
2nd yr Sprinkler Fitter...many many moons ago....Long Distance Moving Van for 25 yrs...coast to coast..(my own rig for 7 yrs)...LD Freight hauler for a year...Eastern Seaboard CAN-USA...Lobster fishing for the past 20 yrs during the fall and early winter months with Dad...I've taken it over since he got sick and passed on 10 yrs ago....still doin it today...actually getting geared up now for Nov 30th opener!

Got to work 2 of the last 3 winters in the oil patch in GP. Started running a coil tubing unit the end of the first winter...went back on that same unit the second winter for a different company....(they bought out the first one I worked for)...can you say "gong show" ? :D

npauls
09-22-2011, 01:10 AM
journeyman sheet metal worker, one season of outfitting, im avaliable for hire for both!!! if anyone is interested, i was going to make a another thread about this, any outfitters on here need someone asap? if so pm me.

oh and thanks for paying your e.i. fellas i got to elk hunting for a week lol :sHa_sarcasticlol:

IF you are willing to move I am almost positive you could get a job down here in Lethbridge.

Charlton and Hill is always looking for sheet metal workers. They are a really big company down here and seem to always be busy.

ice
09-22-2011, 03:10 AM
Pipefitter by trade, currently working for Ledcor, plumber when im in edmonton with no work in the patch

thunder_sticks
09-22-2011, 04:31 AM
Self employed plumber/gas fitter and a drummer when I can find musicians. Guess which one pays less but is more fun.....:sHa_shakeshout:

AvayaAce
09-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Telecommunication Sales - 30+ years, installer, engineering, and sales
Corporate telephone and IP based systems, voicemail, data solutions

redranger15
09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Quality Assurance + NDT level II LP, MP. Mostly welding and air system inspection on coaches. Do torque audits as well. People ride on these things and I have to make sure they are up to standard.

drake
09-22-2011, 12:18 PM
seal trainer at WEM (formally a dolphin trainer).....

bruinsmaniac
09-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Self empwoied twuck dwiver....

schian
09-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Sparky

Joe Fehr
09-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Oil and Gas Completions Consultant.

Arn?Narn.
09-22-2011, 07:28 PM
I work in Infection Prevention and Control.
Advise, consult, educate, monitor and provide surveillance on antibiotic resistant organisms, outbreaks and such...
Also consult on best practices and infection prevention and control measures as they pertain to the construction of healthcare facilities, healthcare units and such...

The movie Contagion is like a workday.....lol

DaveFish
09-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Personal Trainer, and I moonlight as a bouncer at an Irish pub

BigChevy
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Journeyman - B Pressure rig welder, Contracting to Alstar Oilfield Contractors in Hinton, run my own company. Trying to figure out how to get payed to hunt...

Wolftrapper
09-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Been in the RCMP almost 25 yrs now. Been a good career and have been lucky climbing up the ranks.
Also ranch raising cattle and horses.
I also weld and blacksmith part time as my dad had a welding/blacksmith shop. I was his helper from about 5 yrs old.

Gunslinger257
09-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Locomotive Engineer. Still trying to find the steering wheel though!

sprinklerdog
09-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Stay at home dad. Wifey makes more than I could so she gets to work!!

Geo

gpgriz
09-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Forester. Good gig!

great white whaler
09-22-2011, 10:52 PM
i once interviewed for a porn star '' but i was a inch to short...ha ha ha ha,,o well then i become a car doctor.

BGSH
09-22-2011, 10:56 PM
I am a doctor, if anyone needs an operation just hola at me

Albertadiver
09-22-2011, 10:57 PM
I am a doctor, if anyone needs an operation just hola at me

maybe a dr. pepper.....

Hairball
09-22-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm a water well tech; install, design and repair everything to do with a farm/acreage water system..........been doing this for 16 years now and have owned my own company for 3 years. Love the work and the people i meet every day!

Tuco
09-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Made you look....:)

I was in the military for years (Search & Rescue). Now I am out and am a Mortgage broker.....

www.zanesbybroker.ca (shameless plug.....lol)

jpkokanee
09-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Drilling Fluids Engineer

Gust
09-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Business Development Alternative Energy,,, and the economy stateside where our project was put on hold this past Monday, has put the job creation part of the project on the back burner. On the job creation side -and if things subside even a tad- will create 100+ jobs here and 100+ jobs stateside,, and those jobs will be apprentiship through all-ticketed welders, fabricators, mechanical engineers, helicopter pilots, project managers, logistics, etc. We are shooting for Red Deer for the fabricating shop, for the middleground effect of gathering talent from Edmonton/North and Calgary/South, and it's a great little city,, I'm from Cowtown. I'm putting this out here on the forums as I may drop a line to some of you on this thread in the future. At the moment I can't detail the project but once we get up and out of this odd rut, I'll be posting a hiring on AO first.

Ken07AOVette
09-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I drive up and down a right of way where a dual 16" water pipeline is being laid, with a shotgun and rifle in BC. :)

Lefty-Canuck
09-24-2011, 04:54 PM
I drive up and down a right of way where a dual 16" water pipeline is being laid, with a shotgun and rifle in BC. :)

Yah Ken how is the new position out there? Was curious how you are making out!

LC

Lefty-Canuck
09-24-2011, 04:58 PM
I work for an analytical instrumentation company out of the USA that was formerly Hewlett Packard. I repair, install, and train folks how to use LCMSD (liquid chromatograph mass spectrometer detector) TOF, Q-TOF, and QQQ instruments. Most of my work is done in research, medical, toxicology, oil and gas and forensic fields. It keeps me busy!

LC

G Kenworth
09-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Auto & Heavy duty mechanic. Don't get paid to hunt but getting off work at 3:30 gives a guy a lot of time in the feild in the evening.

Emo
09-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Student! Doesn't pay very well....

Rabdo
09-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Aluminum Polisher, mainly on semi-trucks
Also a Heavy Duty Mechanic

Ken07AOVette
09-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Yah Ken how is the new position out there? Was curious how you are making out!

LC

I feel guilty, this is the slackest position I have ever heard of. Sit in a truck all day, people come chat all the time, time and a half after 8 and 44, Sunday's are double time. I will make $600 tomorrow doing sfa.

It's not for me, I need a challenge or my feet get itchy. I spent 8 years on the road, good thing this is short term. On the plus side I am getting real good at ping pong. I spend many hours in the common area, and the weight lifters appreciate me spotting them.

marlin1
09-24-2011, 05:38 PM
sounds like a sweet job Ken . Heavy Duty mechanic here , got a desk job now overseeing other techs , may be servicing oil field nodwells this fall just to keep my hands dirty and extra cash for hunting

cranky
09-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Driven truck since i was 16. Started on a 2 ton for two years then switched to semi's as a company driver for 7 years and have been a owner/operator for last 40 years. Never seem to get tired of hitting the road,although im taking on less work lately but doubt ill ever fully retire unless the health fails me. But dont want to buy new truck or trailer either at my age.

dadof5
09-24-2011, 11:26 PM
General practice of law. Focused on family law, but also assist people with a few other types of problems along the way.

Rancher_49
09-24-2011, 11:59 PM
I operate a compressor station six gas wells close to home (Rocky Mountain
House). For darn near fourty years I have been able to work the fall or parts of it as a Big Game Hunting Guide. Been all over the Yukon, MacKenzie Mtns.
Northern B.C. and for Bighorn & Elk here in Alberta.
My work schedule gives me lots of time to hunt & fish. There sure is a lot of
good guys & gals on this site.

Flyfisher87
09-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Journeyman parts technician for the last 7 years coming up. Worked my way up to parts manager for about 3 of those years. Sold and sourced parts in a variety of industries. Ag, marine, small engine, now back in ag. Enjoy the work, all weekends off except one saturday a month. Don't enjoy the odd nasty phone call but that is how it goes. Drove tractor trailer for 5 years as well till I met a woman and had to be home every night.

50/50
09-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Logging contractor since 1989....don't work in the spring /summer and thats all that matters to me ...

missmyhusband
09-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Semi retired widow with a couple small companies to keep me busy.

cowboyhunter
09-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Grew up ranching in southern AB.Spent 25 years doing that along with guiding AB. BC. Yukon and Territories. Now operate heavy equipment for the town.

timba
09-25-2011, 09:02 AM
im a feild operator for husky up at rainbow lake

Doc
09-25-2011, 09:32 AM
I owned a night club here in Edmonton for 15yrs and sold out in 2005. Couldn't live like a vampire any more. Have bounced around managing some retail stores including the north side fishin' hole for a while and currently managing a financing branch but still wondering what else is out there for me (I'd like to go back to making some serious coin).:confused0024: Have been a DJ since I was 19 so still dabbling in that doing mobile stuff like weddings and Christmas parties. I started up AlbertaStillwaters.Com in 2002 and spend my free time in the summer teaching fly casting and one-on-one stillwater fly fishing clinics with the occasional guided trip (mostly to Texans up here on oil jobs). Would love to instruct fly fishing year round but these damn winters keep popping up every Nov.:2mo5pow:

vettedreamer
09-25-2011, 10:13 AM
oilfield operator since 1990 to fund my money losing labradors breeding business and money losing teenage kids colony :sHa_shakeshout:

eastcoast
09-25-2011, 10:19 AM
professional mojito maker.

:scared0018:

gprime27
09-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Computer technician

lattery1
09-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I was a Well Tester for 15 years but have recently switched careers to work for GasFrac on the propane recovery team. Thought it was time for a switch to the only "green" alternative to fracing wells.

Big Racks
09-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I work for an analytical instrumentation company out of the USA that was formerly Hewlett Packard. I repair, install, and train folks how to use LCMSD (liquid chromatograph mass spectrometer detector) TOF, Q-TOF, and QQQ instruments. Most of my work is done in research, medical, toxicology, oil and gas and forensic fields. It keeps me busy!

LC

Hey, I think I saw you on a recent episode of CSI. I specifically remember Marg Helgenberger saying "Cr@p, our LCMSD is down, someone call Lefty".

Smasher
09-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Have been a journeyman ironworker for 21yrs and have worked all over canada.Due to an on the job injury,i am now changing careers and am about to become a National Certified Safety Officer(in about 2 months).Don't know if it will bring me the same enjoyment, but it gets me back out in the field.And that's where i want to be.:47b20s0:

Ken07AOVette
09-26-2011, 08:17 AM
oilfield operator since 1990 to fund my money losing labradors breeding business and money losing teenage kids colony :sHa_shakeshout:

Ribstone let you back on the colony? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

saddleup
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
I spent 38 years listening to Govt. B.S. in th import/export business at the Port of Coutts, now retired and doing what I want, hunting, fishing, lots of time on my horse, and raising a few head of cattle. life is GOOOOOOD. :):):)

tara_13
09-26-2011, 04:37 PM
I am currently a lady of leisure :lol: Quit my job managing a fitness center in April, and been sitting on my butt ever since. I went up the the Northwest Territories until a couple months ago, and am about to start a new office job in January, here in Calgary. Things up North didn't pan out the way I'd hoped, so going to work down here for now and hopefully start up a company with the hubby by next winter. We want to start our own company to maintain the winter roads. We discussed it, and it seems like something we'd both love...he enjoys working outdoors and I plan to fish out of the holes he drills...win win if you ask me.

Sounds almost like me !! Summer was awesome and now gotta look for work. I wanna buy a campground with me and hubby ... So good luck and go for it!

shr970
09-27-2011, 12:18 AM
started my own meat shop and resturant, as of july 1 2011, before that was a butcher for 8 years. when i go to work it gets bloody....

steve
09-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Heckler at the oilers game.