PDA

View Full Version : What's your profession?

Pages : [1] 2

Geezle
12-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm bored...can ya tell? :o

I'm a little curious about what everybody on the board does for a living.

Once upon a time and many moons ago I was a computer programmer/analyst. That game got real old real fast, and for those of you who know me, I'm not a suit and tie kinda guy...and that's the kind of job I was doing.

These days (and until further notice) I'm a siding installer. I'm a sub-contractor, so technically I'm self employed though I've been taking my jobs from one particular company for almost a year now. Great job in the summer, but it kinda blows in the winter since it's somewhat weather dependent. Also reasonably flexible so I can ditch work from time to time to go fishing or whatever else I want to do :)

So what do you guys do? :wave:

Albertadiver
12-14-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm post #7 here - http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=31192

and post #2 here - http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=21594

Construction contract Administrator here...

We've had a ton of new members, so would be interesting to see this resurrected again....

Mish
12-14-2009, 02:33 PM
I am currently a lady of leisure :lol: Quit my job managing a fitness center in April, and been sitting on my butt ever since. I went up the the Northwest Territories until a couple months ago, and am about to start a new office job in January, here in Calgary. Things up North didn't pan out the way I'd hoped, so going to work down here for now and hopefully start up a company with the hubby by next winter. We want to start our own company to maintain the winter roads. We discussed it, and it seems like something we'd both love...he enjoys working outdoors and I plan to fish out of the holes he drills...win win if you ask me.

Geezle
12-14-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm post #7 here - http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=31192

and post #2 here - http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=21594

Construction contract Administrator here...

We've had a ton of new members, so would be interesting to see this resurrected again....

Oops! Those threads were before my time, and honestly I didn't even think to do a search :ashamed:

edit: hope I don't catch too much crap for this one :o

Albertadiver
12-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Who cares if there's been other threads.... It's a slow day on the forum anyhow.

Seems with the crappy economy people have moved around a lot anyway.

Geezle
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Who cares if there's been other threads.... It's a slow day on the forum anyhow.

Seems with the crappy economy people have moved around a lot anyway.

You never know...some people take the forum thing a little more seriously than they should.

I just like to keep the conversation current :)

AxeMan
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
NAIT lifer myself. I look after our Avionics/electronics department. Test equipment, simulators, computer network, lab setups, radio stuff, etc. Pretty cool job.

hunter tyson
12-14-2009, 02:59 PM
i would think lots of us work in the patch, thats why we sit here on our computers on a monday, or at least thats why im here!!:cry:

RayL42
12-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I’m a construction cost consultant. I get to be on site about 20% of the time and get to see lost of different projects from deep services to high-rise condos. Keeps things interesting at the least.

Ken07AOVette
12-14-2009, 03:13 PM
28 years in fire fighting/rescue as volunteer, 22 years Collection Agency Manager, now Owner, Machine Shop Owner/manager, just got off 8 years on the road, Sales Rep.

ULTRAlite
12-14-2009, 03:14 PM
electrician when there's work...

Geezle
12-14-2009, 03:20 PM
28 years in fire fighting/rescue as volunteer, 22 years Collection Agency Manager, now Owner, Machine Shop Owner/manager, just got off 8 years on the road, Sales Rep.

Collection agency manager huh? That must be an adventure!

redneck posse
12-14-2009, 03:21 PM
at the moment im a unemployed bum. before that i was just a bum...:lol::lol:
spent 20years in the trucking/courier buisness

Geezle
12-14-2009, 03:21 PM
electrician when there's work...
Lots of work up here :)

Geezle
12-14-2009, 03:23 PM
at the moment im a unemployed bum. before that i was just a bum...:lol::lol:
spent 20years in the trucking/courier buisness

You didn't have to tell me that...I already knew you were a bum! :p

J/K of course :) Haven't seen anything from you for a while...how's life been treating ya? :wave:

big zeke
12-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm an mechanical engineer who manages the engineering dep't of the local office of a foreign oil company. Soon to be a cost & risk manager sitting just outside of Paris sipping red wine, chewing on brie and staring down my nose at people:) In the past I've consulted and done real work as well.

The patch has been tough of late but as usual a turnaround should be coming soon. This has been a tough year and a bit.

Zeke

MWD 800
12-14-2009, 03:26 PM
MWD/Directional consultant on these purdy alberdy rigs:evilgrin:. It's a pretty good job. Get to see alot of the country that most people won't ever get to:D.

Reeves1
12-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I dig dirt, when I can find a company that needs an operator, for their dirt digger (excavators) :lol:

I must be calling/faxing and e-mailing all the wrong ones.....no work found, yet.

Guess that puts me in the same boat as redneck posse ! :lol:

drivinman22
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
LIVIN THE DREAM:wave:

I live in Edmonton May-Oct.,and fish the Big 'O' (Lake Okeechobee) in Florida from Nov.-April.
But I did work over 40 years for the priviledge.:innocent:

redneck posse
12-14-2009, 03:31 PM
You didn't have to tell me that...I already knew you were a bum! :p

J/K of course :) Haven't seen anything from you for a while...how's life been treating ya? :wave:

about the same way you treat the stuff on the bottem of your boots.. this crap keeps up im gonna have to start long haul again.. or rob banks anyone want to drive the gettaway car..:evilgrin:

Geezle
12-14-2009, 03:32 PM
The patch has been tough of late but as usual a turnaround should be coming soon. This has been a tough year and a bit.

Zeke
Since I'm not really familiar with work out in the patch, what would you call 'tough'? Not enough work? Or too much? :confused:

Geezle
12-14-2009, 03:34 PM
I dig dirt, when I can find a company that needs an operator, for their dirt digger (excavators) :lol:

I must be calling/faxing and e-mailing all the wrong ones.....no work found, yet.

Guess that puts me in the same boat as redneck posse ! :lol:

Where are you at Reeves?

Seems like all the trades involved in new home construction are in short supply. Last week I was talking to my site super and he said that he had 20 holes that were supposed to be in the ground several weeks ago and they still haven't been dug.

podman
12-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Carpenter of sorts:lol:

Podiatrist

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy136/tbolokoski/IMG_0655-1.jpg

sorry last pic has sensitive info hopefully this doesn't

Geezle
12-14-2009, 03:36 PM
about the same way you treat the stuff on the bottem of your boots.. this crap keeps up im gonna have to start long haul again.. or rob banks anyone want to drive the gettaway car..:evilgrin:

Got the car lined up? :evilgrin:

Life's been a small adventure for me recently as well :o

Geezle
12-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Carpenter of sorts:lol:

Podiatrist

Is that 4 screws I see? And what's that long thing? Screwdriver? :confused:

Reminds me of when I broke my thumb and had pins in there that stuck out of the skin :scared:

edit: pic is gone now

roadkill
12-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Am I going to do this?

I guess I am: I'm a freelance writer, bass player and theatre director. Let the flames commence; I have my asbestos underwear on :evilgrin:

big zeke
12-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Just on the engineering side I'd guess the job losses are in 4 figures; rumor has it maybe is 5 figures. Similarly for oilfield construction & fabrication, several have gone broke. I'm told drilling is quite slow with a few guys operating just to make cashflow (ie no profit just keeping the banker at bay). I don't personally know of anyone who has lost his house over it but many lifestyle changes. Pretty bleak.

Zeke

hal53
12-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Since I'm not really familiar with work out in the patch, what would you call 'tough'? Not enough work? Or too much? :confused:
Good question...and both answers are right, either too much or not enough.....been in the patch 36 years now..last few years have been an "observer" (consultant) ( i started when i was 4):lol::lol:

Reeves1
12-14-2009, 03:44 PM
In city work doesn't pay travel or SUB. Makes it expensive for me to travel all that way. Plus the pay (generally) is much lower.
Which I wouldn't mind, except I'd be working mainly for fuel.
Not much money in digging basements.

hunter tyson
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM

not enough work, at least where i stand in the industry

beermilk
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM
well i am a G.E.T tech (ground engaging tools) on the shovel crew at albian sands. working a 7 on 7 off shift thats the reason i am on my comp on a monday lol

here is couple pics of our electrician mike :)

rmk800
12-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Fisheries/wildlife biologist here!

DarkAisling
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Geomatics engineering technologist (I make maps)

hunter tyson
12-14-2009, 03:52 PM
well i am a G.E.T tech (ground engaging tools) on the shovel crew at albian sands. working a 7 on 7 off shift thats the reason i am on my comp on a monday lol

lots of work up that way er wa?

Geezle
12-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Just on the engineering side I'd guess the job losses are in 4 figures; rumor has it maybe is 5 figures. Similarly for oilfield construction & fabrication, several have gone broke. I'm told drilling is quite slow with a few guys operating just to make cashflow (ie no profit just keeping the banker at bay). I don't personally know of anyone who has lost his house over it but many lifestyle changes. Pretty bleak.

Zeke

Ouch, that's rough. Lifestyle changes are something that come with the territory...many of us (in general) like to live right on the edge of our means, or beyond, and that's not always the best way to do things. Can't say I necessarily feel bad for those folks...it hurts a little but it's far from the end of the world.

On the bright side, like you said, at least you don't know of anybody who's lost their home or anything truly serious...

Austin
12-14-2009, 03:59 PM
5 years as Sales Manager for American Express Global Corporate Cards to mid market size businesses. Previous 18 years selling office equipment.

beermilk
12-14-2009, 04:00 PM
i wouldnt say lots of work up here but it definetly seems to be picking up again. for the last year my travel out to site use to be 40-45 mins. last 2 months or so around an hour traffic is pickin up big time.

but with suncors new expansion (voyager) slowly starting back up and there other expansion firebag preping for start up again seems to be picking back up work wise.

and the new kearl lake project firing up here right away starting to see more and more of there trucks in town. tho they are going to be a fly in fly out site. camps

Geezle
12-14-2009, 04:00 PM

Working on giant machines like that seems like it would be kinda fun :)

Of course first a person would have to know What they were doing with them!

hal53
12-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Lots of work up here :)
been waiting 4 months for a residential electrician here....

hal53
12-14-2009, 04:04 PM
In city work doesn't pay travel or SUB. Makes it expensive for me to travel all that way. Plus the pay (generally) is much lower.
Which I wouldn't mind, except I'd be working mainly for fuel.
Not much money in digging basements.
weird, i've worked allmy life without pay travel or sub?????

jaylow?
12-14-2009, 04:06 PM
sheet metal worker , local 8 shop steward. mostly fabrication and install. not much service work, and at just about every plant in the fort mac region.

Geezle
12-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Wow...that's disgusting! :scared:

hal53
12-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Ouch, that's rough. Lifestyle changes are something that come with the territory...many of us (in general) like to live right on the edge of our means, or beyond, and that's not always the best way to do things. Can't say I necessarily feel bad for those folks...it hurts a little but it's far from the end of the world.

On the bright side, like you said, at least you don't know of anybody who's lost their home or anything truly serious...
tell my guys everyday....to live the life of their worst month ever, not their best.....always have 2-3 mos. to live on....may mean a few less sleds, quads etc. but there is always a banker waiting!!!...as far as "lost " their homes, I was fortunate ebnough to get thru' the early '80's without losing much...but many, many weren't...

podman
12-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Is that 4 screws I see? And what's that long thing? Screwdriver? :confused:

Reminds me of when I broke my thumb and had pins in there that stuck out of the skin :scared:

edit: pic is gone now

Ya it is one long screw driver, anyone who likes woodwork it is kind of the same thing.

HaMeR
12-14-2009, 04:18 PM
I do construction work, roofing,siding,windows & am still laid off with no work here in my part of Ohio. :(

:wave:

Rockymtnx
12-14-2009, 04:18 PM
I am the service manager/advisor for a farm equipment manufacturing company.
The company I work for build units that mix feed for the cattle and dairy industry. We also build machines that are used for mixing and processing in the environmental industry.
I handle all customer and dealer related mechanical problems. I work with our dealer network to ensure they are properly trained while making sure the customer is always happy. Mainly it’s a behind the desk kind of job but sometimes I have to fly out somewhere and get my hands dirty.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n41/rockymtnx/IMG_1108-600.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n41/rockymtnx/DSC_0084-600.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n41/rockymtnx/DSC03757-600.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n41/rockymtnx/200906262308291-600.jpg

decker1
12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm a instrumentation technician apprentice. In edmonton right now going to school.

Reeves1
12-14-2009, 04:34 PM
weird, i've worked allmy life without pay travel or sub?????

I too have worked many jobs that do not pay SUB or travel.

The type of work I do is mainly well away from home. When a person has to travel up to 4 hours a day in travel, for a few hours a day, you are not working for a wage, you work for fuel. Only one making any money is the (hoe) owner.

Reeves1
12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
I do construction work, roofing,siding,windows & am still laid off with no work here in my part of Ohio. :(

:wave:

I have a buddy in Ohio. Just sent him an xmas parcel. Firefighter.

He said the same thing. Not much work in the State.
Also said crime is on a huge up-swing.

The Fisherman Guy
12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
I coordinate MWD tools and men for our domestic and international operations.

Latest addition since the last thread: What I used to do, in chronological order:

Sales and service, at Mission Snowboard Shop.

Sales and Service at Live to Surf in Tofino.

Roughest neck around for Precision Drilling.

PR/Security at Lindsay Park (now Talisman Center)

Co-Manager of the Elbow Park Tennis Club.

Puke cleaner upper/ inebriated target acquisition master of the night clubs of Calgary in the 90's

I'll save you the rest of my shame :wave:

hal53
12-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Now you're MWD...hope u didn't give them that resume..lol

CdnVet0506
12-14-2009, 04:59 PM
My Avatar says it all :) 25 years and counting :D

Reeves1
12-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Geomatics engineering technologist (I make maps)

So, it is YOUR fault I got .....um.... "temporarily misplaced" !

:evilgrin:

Hoochie Papa
3 months roughneck
3 years motorman
2 years derrickhand
10 years driller
5 years consultant
1 year and counting of running a big oilfield camp in NEBC

Variety is the spice of life. I say that every day.

Fox red lab
Service rig salesman downtown Calgary.

Geezle
12-14-2009, 05:27 PM
My Avatar says it all :) 25 years and counting :D

And I thank you good sir! :wave:

Geezle
12-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Puke cleaner upper/ inebriated target acquisition master of the night clubs of Calgary in the 90's

Sounds entertaining...details? :evilgrin:

pickrel pat
12-14-2009, 05:34 PM
P.E.T.A - rally organizer here. please dont tell them i love this site so much !:lol:

gophergunner
12-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi boy sprayer operator/ floater operator, and run tandems hauling fertilizer to customers.

Geezle
12-14-2009, 05:37 PM
P.E.T.A - rally organizer here. please dont tell them i love this site so much !:lol:

You're a brave, brave soul :wave:

Dick284
12-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Hydro Operations Maintenance Technician.(Electrical)

That's real fancy company double speak, for being a Dam Operator.

TransAlta (Brazeau) and sometimes (Bighorn)

DarkAisling
12-14-2009, 05:47 PM
So, it is YOUR fault I got .....um.... "temporarily misplaced" !

:evilgrin:

:lol: You have no idea :evilgrin:

Every now and then I have a client who insists that there is a road in a certain location. I know there isn't. But, since they're so insistent that they want that road on the map, I put it on (after I voice my reservations). They do pay the bills, after all.

Their poor field crews.

All of our maps have a disclaimer at the bottom.

hal53
12-14-2009, 05:51 PM
:lol: You have no idea :evilgrin:

Every now and then I have a client who insists that there is a road in a certain location. I know there isn't. But, since they're so insistent that they want that road on the map, I put it on (after I voice my reservations). They do pay the bills, after all.

Their poor field crews.

All of our maps have a disclaimer at the bottom.
????? really!!!????...doesn't help the guy much at 2220 hrs. with a rig behind him...looking for a location......disclaimer beside the fact....how can u draw a map without the correct co-ordinates????

blackmamba
12-14-2009, 05:53 PM
owner of a hardwood flooring business in calgary ..

Roughneck12
12-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Ten years in the patch and still working. Cementer now wireline. Rigs for a bit and a few other things.

DarkAisling
12-14-2009, 06:06 PM
????? really!!!????...doesn't help the guy much at 2220 hrs. with a rig behind him...looking for a location......disclaimer beside the fact....how can u draw a map without the correct co-ordinates????

Yup, really. I had a client want it done today: some suit on the other end of a phone. It's all oil and gas exploration, and it is the survey crews who get these maps.

I have my own hypothesis as to why this occasionally gets done, but I'll keep that to myself lest I be accused of "libel."

Geezle
12-14-2009, 06:12 PM
"libel."
Ugh, I hate that word...

huntinstuff
12-14-2009, 06:12 PM
I clean streets for the City of Edmonton :)

Bassett
12-14-2009, 06:13 PM
24/7 torment to my family =) doesnt get much better.

doetracks
12-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Going on 13 years as a pilot.. worked in almost every capacity except airlines. Currently seasonally employed as an air tanker pilot.

Last winter I worked at WSS, this winter, nothing.

flyguyd
12-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Truss plant foreman .Mon - Fri , weekend taxidermist

brianscott
12-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Mobile Rig Welder/ Ironworker, currently stationed on the top of a skyscraper in downtown Calgary.

hal53
12-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Yup, really. I had a client want it done today: some suit on the other end of a phone. It's all oil and gas exploration, and it is the survey crews who get these maps.

I have my own hypothesis as to why this occasionally gets done, but I'll keep that to myself lest I be accused of "libel."
spent awhile being a "suit"...so you give them the map , that you know may not be correct., but you're okay because of the disclaimer????...or it's the surveyors fault????

TreeGuy
12-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Mobile Rig Welder/ Ironworker, currently stationed on the top of a skyscraper in downtown Calgary.

You on the Bow, Brian?

Tree

Whiskey Wish
12-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Spent 30 years operating a gas plant, farming crops and cattle, raising 4 kids, volunteer fireman for 8 years.
Semi-retired now, I teach part time for NAIT in one of their OCT programs and farm crops, sold the cows. If I never see another gas plant or wellhead I'll die a happy man. My better half is a cabinet maker and furniture maker and we were in the process of pouring a shop floor for her new shop. The plan was I would farm in the summer and be her "boy Friday" in the off season but I did myself an injury so everything ground to a halt until spring. I just got out of my cast y-day and start physio tommorow. :scared:
No complaints, at least I had my chance.

I used to think that someday everybody would catch on to the "Boom - Bust - Boom - Bust" cycle here in Alberta. I've only seen it THREE times in my life.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.

Clgy_Dave2.0
12-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Im a tile contractor. Journeyman tilesetter for 28 years now. Trying to get more into general contracting and renovations.
I do stuff like this:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Tile%20Work/pic-3647.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Tile%20Work/IMG_8645.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Tile%20Work/PICT4554.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Cliff%20St%20Bungalow%20job/IMG_8546.jpg

Tony_S
12-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Journeyman Carpenter / Wood worker / Master Stair Builder...close to 20 years now.

I build stuff like this...

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww202/Tony_S_photos/Showroompics007.jpg

hal53
12-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Man!!!!...once again, waited over a year out here, finally tried it ourselves...didn`t work out like that....do you guys have vehicles with wheels

Badgerbadger
12-14-2009, 07:11 PM
General layabout and village idiot.

It doesn't pay much, but the hours and benefits are good.

:p

gramps73
12-14-2009, 07:13 PM
An Auctioneer for the last 15 years in Calgary

IR_mike
12-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Great looking work Calgary Dave and Tony S.

noneck180
12-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Lawyer aspiring to be a Politician:wave:

AxeMan
12-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Lawyer aspiring to be a Politician:wave:

Or did you mean a liar aspiring to be a politician.....:lol: Just kidding noneck.

gitrdun
12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm a journeyman millwright, I own a company that performs machinery diagnostics. My brother and I own a company that fixes the problems.

Whiskey Wish
12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=Calgary Dave;456871]Im a tile contractor. Journeyman tilesetter for 28 years now. Trying to get more into general contracting and renovations.
I do stuff like this:

I don't suppose you would consider taking a vacation to 346 some fall hunting wt deer, moose and elk and in your "off time" helping re-do a bathroom with tile?? :D
I have to hurry and leave this site cause if my wife see's your work it's gonna cost me BIG TIME!!

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave

gitrdun
12-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Funny, most of the maps that I get for finding a lease are on toilet paper, cigarette packs, match boxes, towels, etc. I wish these guys would hire you more often.:lol:

HILLYBILLYBARRY
12-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Hitch installer and wireing tech for 15yrs

deepfried
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Aircraft mechanic for a third party maintenance facility here in Calgary. Awesome job as aircraft are one of my loves !!!

whitetailnut
12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Electrician, aka sparky to the other trades. Slowed down a bit from a couple years ago, just meaning the dead weight has been removed. By the looks of things we will be very busy in 2010 again.:)

theycallmeNoah
12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Chemical Technologist looking for a job (packaged gases and oil field experience)

Took the last two years off to be home with the kids and I'm bored out of my freakin skull!! Not alot of SAHM's that camp, fish, and hunt. A girl can only handle so much talk about hair and shopping :sick:

BrownBear416
12-14-2009, 07:35 PM
I thought of getting into the "Bank Robbery" business but was to scared of running into Huntinstuff's "street cleaning business" in the process..:lol:

Now i mostly make my living as a Model :innocent:

Ken07AOVette
12-14-2009, 07:36 PM
I didn't know we were doing pictures.

I put towers like this on these;
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/IMAG0034.jpg

build these, start to finish, and was going to do this for a living but ran out of time and another job presented it self;
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/100_4049.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/100_3160small.jpg

and own the company (Ekholm) that makes tunnels, skis, extensions etc for these, and install superchargers, NOS,;
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/rear20left.jpg

WithoutWarning
12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I am a machinist of 12 years for a huge
Canadian gas company, repair and overhauls
of rotating turbo equipment, turbines and
boosters.
I also operate my own machine shop (just
outside Calgary) as a side job at the moment
with intentions of bringing that up to speed full time !!

....Chad

Albertadiver
12-14-2009, 07:45 PM

Looking forward to TreeGuy's take on this one...

blackmamba
12-14-2009, 07:55 PM

you literally took the words outta my mouth..lol..

jackal
12-14-2009, 08:05 PM
J-man auto mechanic, working for dodge for the last 5 years

Reeves1
12-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Now i mostly make my living as a Model

of what mothers tell their children to avoid :evilgrin:

6gunner
12-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Industrial Safety Advisor

5R Milspec
12-14-2009, 08:12 PM
I teach basic safety courses, First Aid, ATV, etc... But most of the time I'm doing Chainsaw courses for both the oilfield and forestry.

4roddin
12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Journeyman Lineman get to build powerlines and play with high voltage regardless of exterior temperatures LOL

Big Red 250
12-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Got any pic's of the operator's? I heard of a guy from back home is operating one of them.

pottymouth
12-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I thought of getting into the "Bank Robbery" business but was to scared of running into Huntinstuff's "street cleaning business" in the process..:lol:

Ya I heard that was your body with Sacha Cohen's face on the cover of Bruno, is it true you did some stunts???:innocent::lol:

Sorry BB

tbosch
12-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Hal I remember us talking this summer about a trade. You were going to take me waterfowling and I was going to wire your leantwo or garage or something?? I forgot about that completely until just now.

plinker
12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Over The Road Transportation Engineer (Trucker):D

WayneChristie
12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
I started with the military after high school, did that for 5 years, all sorts of jobs after that, mostly warehousing types. Got fed up with the city a couple years ago, found a place in the boonies, and for the last year have been babysitting a haypress and shipping our fine Canadian hay overseas mostly to fatten up foreign cows and feed wealthy Oil type's racehorses. Love it, no traffic, no smog, fish and game everywhere. Out the door Ive seen coyotes, deer, pheasants, grouse, partridge, Bald eagles, and more. city, what city. :evilgrin: also part time artist, and moby hunter

tbosch
12-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Hydro Operations Maintenance Technician.(Electrical)

That's real fancy company double speak, for being a Dam Operator.

TransAlta (Brazeau) and sometimes (Bighorn)

Nice areas to frequent Dick. Is Transalta one of those "someone has to die before anyone gets hired" places? I'd be interested in getting in to something like that.

I'm currently running the Quality Assurance department for an oilfield based E&I company. I worked electrical construction for 10 years before that with stints of maintenance in oil and gas facilities.

magcal4L
12-14-2009, 08:49 PM
I put bad people in jail, well I fight the judges to put them there.

Make me proud to me a member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrqIbJIHJOY&feature=player_embedded

Sheepcrazyguy
12-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Service manager for the last 5 years in the mulcher industry. Before that mechanic for many years.

zepf
12-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Trapper/H.D.mechanic.

outlaw'd
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm another one of those wicked oilfield guys that drives a jacked up/chipped up/no muffler Dodge diesel 4 x 4 .......... disguising myself cleverly as an oilfield drilling supervisor ....... :evilgrin:

hunter10
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
24/7 torment to my family =) doesnt get much better.

X2!!!! But on my weekdays I have to go to school!::sick:mad2: Can you talk about boooring!:lol:

nick0danger
12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Power lineman / sparky dual ticket. Doing mostly Controls right now, was doing lots of work at gas plants around Calgary, but i picked up a job with a much SLOWER pace.

TrollGRG
12-14-2009, 09:21 PM
SAR Tech in military. Retired after 25 years of glorious service, I now teach wilderness survival to major corporations.

www.PhoenixSurvival.ca

alacringa
12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Junior High Science and Math teacher...6 yrs.

Kev
12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I wanted to be a golf pro, but can't putt. Went for a Forester instead.

Rockymtnx
12-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Ken07AOVette are you really the Ekholm guy? If so thats pretty cool. I've owned several of your products.

BrownBear416
12-14-2009, 09:56 PM

Hey I never made any comments regarding Grown Men who wear Spandex and spend there days high up in trees having conversations with Owls sooooo he better just keep his mouth shut. :D

Ya I heard that was your body with Sacha Cohen's face on the cover of Bruno, is it true you did some stunts???

Sorry BB

I was not part of any stunts that involved a certain machine in a hotel room :tongue2:

Geezle
12-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Great looking work Calgary Dave and Tony S.
X2 :cool:

ghostguy6
12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Ive been a mechanic but the newer cars are so damn small I was getting stuck in them:lol:

Been doing alot of security work in the bars but taking a break from that until I get at least some of my sanity back.....

Right now I work in a warehouse. I end up fixing alot of machinery so Im a plumber, electician, painter and hyrdraulic mechanic all in one. :lol:

I dont get paid nearly enough....

Ken07AOVette
12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Ken07AOVette are you really the Ekholm guy? If so thats pretty cool. I've owned several of your products.

I really am. I used to go there (Summerland) for 6 weeks a year, did all Larry's Sales and receivalbles, learned what I could, and eventually bought all the equipment.

Chances are, I either made your tunnel or skid, definately skis, or at the very least sold them to you.

I have a couple hundred grand worth of equipment here, but the new sleds come long and on plastic skis, so it mostly sits idle, other than building tanks, doing repairs, etc.

I really like aluminum fabrication, checkerplate is a cool medium to work with.

Clgy_Dave2.0
12-14-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't suppose you would consider taking a vacation to 346 some fall hunting wt deer, moose and elk and in your "off time" helping re-do a bathroom with tile?? :D
I have to hurry and leave this site cause if my wife see's your work it's gonna cost me BIG TIME!!

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave

LOL...now THAT was funny. I could show your wife some beautiful stuff....OoooEEEEE!!! She'd love it!! lol ;)

sheepguide
12-14-2009, 11:48 PM
15 years in the oil patch. Drilled critical sour wells in the Alberta foothills(8 yrs)(Crowstnest Pass to Grand Cache), drilled shallow wells around Medicine Hat/Jenner area, Drilled in the Alberta Oilsands. Currently a Cenrtifuge Field Tech. running on site solids control and dewatering on oilsand projects in NE Alberta.

Oh and Guide the odd hunter!!!!!!!

garf
12-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Electrician for 10 yrs, then Instr tech for the last 20. Looking forward to retiring in a few years, could start farming again but don't think I'd have the time. Too many other projects I want to get done....

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Work as a Male Gigolo with Huntinstuff and Brownbear , Redneck posse and treeguy are our pimp . Albertadiver was bought out by these two .

I own and operate a small fishing Tackle company as well as guiding services .

Castincowboy
12-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Category Management (business mgmt) for 12 years. Got laid off in Oct. :( Lookin' for the next gig.

Also co-own LOGical Creations Ltd. (http://www.logicalcreations.ca)
a custom log furniture manufacturing company.

Free lance writer on the side... Not much pay but, enjoyable!

harryones
12-15-2009, 03:41 AM
MWD (measurement while drilling) Consultant. Currently sitting in Albania reading your posts. Keep it up, helps pass the tour.

fishead
12-15-2009, 04:11 AM
System Controller for the AESO
prior to that power Lineman, Substation Tech with TransAlta for 15 years.

mtylerb
12-15-2009, 04:53 AM
I drive one of these:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3585/3379162747_2960a93a35.jpg

Not that one specifically, just a few like it and the newer ones. Business hasn't changed, throughout the "recession". People still need their money moved from point A to point B.

bsnyder
12-15-2009, 05:13 AM
:wave:Kinda semi retired, I was a carpenter/contractor for 30+ years, now i build a couple of spec homes in the winter and try to fish tournys all summer:D.We do town and lake homes here:wave:

600twin
12-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Consultant MWD

HaMeR
12-15-2009, 05:38 AM
There was 3 bank robberies in less then 2 weeks the 1st of the month here where I live Reeves. Plus the petty theft is getting worse. :mad:

Hevishot
12-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Journeyman Automotive Painter, Journeyman Collision Technician and Damage Appraiser for a 2nd generation shop in Calgary.

froggy
12-15-2009, 07:21 AM
im an ironworker out of local 720

gunslinger
12-15-2009, 07:23 AM
toolpush for trinidad drilling
owner of a oilfield rental business
owner of slingers outfitting and consulting and hotshot business
1/3 owner of garrett bros outfitting
oilfield pimp for three differnt contractors.

Tundra Monkey
12-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Electrician by trade but work as a System Operator for the Power Corp up here. Dabble a little bit in the outfitting world on the side.

tm

troller
12-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Partner in a Private Security company out of Dallas. Want to sell my share and take over the family construction business though. Sick of traveling!

timba
12-15-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm a field operator for cenovus energy(used to be encana)

Geezle
12-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Ive been a mechanic but the newer cars are so damn small I was getting stuck in them:lol:

I dont get paid nearly enough....

Yeah, you aren't exactly built to fit under the hood of most newer cars :lol:

Stinky Buffalo
12-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Electronics Technologist, currently working as a Senior Developer at a software company...

We make software and hardware for creating load manifests (primarily for the logging industry) plus those nasty little GPS tracking units that tell your boss where you've been stopping or speeding... (uh oh, better pass those asbestos undrerwear!) :lol:

Things are slowing down here too... Gotta keep an eye out for the next move, may need to make one soon if things don't pick up.

I've been doing some consulting on the side, but it's pretty slow, mainly because I'd rather be using my spare time doing things with my wife and kids, plus some volunteer stuff.

Before that, well, I've been:

Music store salesweasel/manager
Elevator mechanic's helper
Burger flipper
Piano tuner

Think that's about it...

MuleyMonster
12-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Mortgage Broker for one of the 5 BIG BAD BANKS!!! Worked in the office for too little pay for too long (5 years after school) and decided there had to be something better. Now I work as hard as I want for whom I want and can do it over the phone/fax/email in my pajamas. Still manage to get into the office 4 days a week to make sure I work as too easy to sit on the couch and work and that pays the bills but just barely. On call 7 days a week but can still answer the phone while hunting and fishing and no one knows the difference. Wait until I get an air stick, then I will be doing deals for someone in PEI while fishing at Newell catching walleye:love:

Okotokian
12-15-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm a journeyman millwright, I own a company that performs machinery diagnostics. My brother and I own a company that fixes the problems.

:lol: And I bet your diagnostics company finds a lot of problems that need fixes ;)

j/k

Okotokian
12-15-2009, 09:26 AM
SAR Tech in military. Retired after 25 years of glorious service, I now teach wilderness survival to major corporations.

www.PhoenixSurvival.ca

My brother flies Sea Kings and says SAR Techs are among the toughest/bravest guys in the military. Mind you, I spoke to some Herc pilots who thought Sea King pilots were about the bravest guys in the military for actually flying those decrepid machines every day. ;)

docv72
12-15-2009, 09:27 AM
20 years army medic and 5 to go

Coach E
12-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry to see that there aren't as many teachers out there as I thought. Everyone figures we have a tonne of time to waste...x-mas break...summer...etc.
The thing that sucks about being a teacher is that we don't get hunting season off :tongue2:
I only get out a few times a year, so I have to make the best of it...two WT and an elk (bro-inlaws) in 3 years isn't a bad average when I can only get out half a dozen times a year.

saltwater cowboy
12-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Started out hard army to grow up. Once I realized I wasn't gonna became a firefighter for the last 18 years. It was either that or cop and my brother who is older than me and a cop told me once " everybody is happy to see you show up, not so many are happy to see me".;)
Also shift work gives you lots of time off for outdoor pursuits,especially during the weekdays when most are working.
Salty

Stinky Buffalo
12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry to see that there aren't as many teachers out there as I thought.

Meh, a lot of us are married to 'em. We can sort of relate... :D

Okotokian
12-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Meh, a lot of us are married to 'em. We can sort of relate... :D

Ditto

JohninAB
12-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Forester here. Been a rewarding career.

beermilk
12-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Got any pic's of the operator's? I heard of a guy from back home is operating one of them.

sorry no pics of the operators there a shy bunch lol

if you have a name tho maybe i might know him. we get to know most of the operators pretty well on our shift anyways :)

rhuntley12
12-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Systems Analyst

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-15-2009, 11:13 AM
There was 3 bank robberies in less then 2 weeks the 1st of the month here where I live Reeves. Plus the petty theft is getting worse. :mad:

We know where Gezzle and Redneck posse have been :lol::lol::lol::lol:

jpohlic
12-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm an architectural technologist and have been designing homes for the past 13 years. I started out loving this career but lately I've been getting really bored. About 5 years ago I started designing homes built of straw bales or cob, something different to stay interested, but now I think I'm officially done with this career. I wish I knew what was next...

Albertadiver
12-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm an architectural technologist and have been designing homes for the past 13 years. I started out loving this career but lately I've been getting really bored. About 5 years ago I started designing homes built of straw bales or cob, something different to stay interested, but now I think I'm officially done with this career. I wish I knew what was next...

I started out as an Architectural Tech - still am - got sick of drafting. Now I'm in Contract Admin and it's much more fulfilling. Strictly residential would make me want to blow my brains out though...

Scotty P.
12-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Project estimator for a pipe and structural steel bending company.

Dakota369
12-15-2009, 11:47 AM
I am the materials manager at a OEM electronics manufacturing facility in Edm. We design and build electronic safety components for cranes, pipe-layers and most recently we have been outfitting snubbing and drilling rigs as well. I am in charge of the parts dept, purchasing and the shipping dept. We do most of our sales to the south so as much as the recent economic downturn has hurt us somewhat we are a strong company and have responded appropriately with new products and have managed to maintain a reasonable sales level.

Halfton
12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
I am a Miller...Grind all the grain into the white stuff so your wives can bake you guys some nice cookies....lol...work six days a week most of the time and change shifts from days to afternoons to nights every week...that used to be not so bad, but the older I get the harder it gets...oh well 5 weeks of holidays a year now and only 5 or 6 years to go till I can retire *sigh*

gpguy7
12-15-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm a surveyor up here in fort mac at one of the new oilsands projects. Not here so much by choice. Have done oilfield surveys all over Alberta and residential as well. I love this job when I'm not working on site. I get to see the Alberta wilderness when it's untouched. Lots of good fishing and hunting spots found while scouting out a lease in the middle of nowhere. I worked rigs for precision for a year, but surveying is for me.

Doodle30
12-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Investment Industry for me. Work at a full service brokerage at one of the big banks.

RobinHood
12-15-2009, 02:46 PM
I started in real estate and then got into day trading, now I stay home and bother my wife!

alacringa
12-15-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm sorry to see that there aren't as many teachers out there as I thought. Everyone figures we have a tonne of time to waste...x-mas break...summer...etc.
The thing that sucks about being a teacher is that we don't get hunting season off :tongue2:
I only get out a few times a year, so I have to make the best of it...two WT and an elk (bro-inlaws) in 3 years isn't a bad average when I can only get out half a dozen times a year.

I feel your pain, Coach...good to see another teacher on here, though -- welcome to the board!

mooseknuckle
12-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Well after a short stint the "adult film industry ":lol:

Master Engraver did work for the canadian mint. Now self employed at a little sign/engraving shop. The pay sucks but I like being able to go fishing on a moments notice.:wave:

Tundra Monkey
12-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Well after a short stint the "adult film industry ":lol:

:lol: :lol: Was "mooseknuckle" your screen name :D

EVERY time I see your name on here I laugh :innocent:

tm

gitrdun
12-15-2009, 03:25 PM
:lol: And I bet your diagnostics company finds a lot of problems that need fixes ;)

j/k

True, you're pretty perceptive :). But it's very much on the up and up, no funny business. You can work many years to establish a good rep, but a bad rep spreads like wildfire. :innocent:

RUBBERDUCKY
12-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Service Advisor for Chrysler in west end, three years running. Starting my own landscaping company in the spring\, want to take off in a moments notice.

rasbok
12-15-2009, 03:34 PM
own General Fence in Lloydminster.

chopperman
12-15-2009, 04:02 PM
I've been a commercial helicopter pilot for 22 years, still fly annually but mostly fly my desk as GM now.

Gorram
12-15-2009, 04:31 PM
I "work" as a CL600 skipper, see avatar.

Don't tell my mother, she thinks I'm a piano player in a brothel... :D

Cheers, G.

ps: wanted doetracks's job, but didn't want to give up summers... :(

TreeGuy
12-15-2009, 05:36 PM
I

Goodness, I nearly missed this one.......thanks Diver!:D

Well here's BB's dream shot. Rumor has it that Fabio is one of his heros ever since he killed that goose with his face.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/fabio-1.jpg

Unfortunately, THIS is closer to the actual reality.........other than the fact that Jared actually made it in the industry. Dream big BB, dream big!:D

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/Subway-Jared.jpg

Tree

PS I have a couple WICKED Ken pics too, but that'll be for another day.:lol:

Albertadiver
12-15-2009, 06:01 PM
BAHAHAHAHA :lol:

WinterMan
12-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Geology student at MRU, groundskeeper/everyman at a large 'acreage', and tourguide/bartender at Big Rock Brewery!!!

Geezle
12-15-2009, 08:31 PM
20 years army medic and 5 to go

Thank you for your service sir :wave:

Geezle
12-15-2009, 08:34 PM
We know where Gezzle and Redneck posse have been :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Way to let the cat out of the bag! :rolleye2:

:lol::lol::lol:

goober
12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Journeyman technician for an automatic welding company.

Reeves1
12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Journeyman technician for an automatic welding company.

With that avatar, one would never have guessed ! :lol:

Rick65Cat
12-15-2009, 09:23 PM
.. or rob banks anyone want to drive the gettaway car..:evilgrin:

lol...I drove stock cars for 8 years...I think I'm qualified

sheepguide
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm a field operator for cenovus energy(used to be encana)

currently drilling for Cenovus at Foster Creek

sinawalli
12-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Machinist/pond scum for 12 years. Currently employed at SMS Equiptment for now, until my boss hears about my latest *^%& up!!:D

6.5 shooter
12-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Currently an employed??? truck driver in the patch, haul frac fluids...but haven't turned a wheel in the last 2 months...bein doing this for 15years ..

use to run a 100 hd. cattle ranch back in the day .... but global warming got me..:) and before mad cow got the rest...:lol:

But still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up....:rolleyes:

might go do the ice roads in the new year

BrownBear416
12-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice to see you and Diver working together on this one..:rolleye2:

What else do you two DO together?? :p

coolpool
12-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Retired from the Canadian Military after 20 years in the transportation field. Now I work for Husky Energy as a Power Engineer (real title - operator). So much for retiring:D

TheClash
12-15-2009, 10:53 PM
lol...I drove stock cars for 8 years...I think I'm qualified

ya but you can only turn left!!! haha

doetracks
12-15-2009, 11:17 PM
ps: wanted doetracks's job, but didn't want to give up summers... :(

I want my summers BACK!! :(:wave:

Geezle
12-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Retired from the Canadian Military after 20 years in the transportation field. Now I work for Husky Energy as a Power Engineer (real title - operator). So much for retiring:D

Thank you for your service :wave:

sharrozap
12-16-2009, 07:23 AM
I do machining for oil industry - downhole tools. Started my own shop three years ago and keep myself busy all the time. Did not have time for hunting, maybe next year.

sdimedru
12-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Instrumentation & Controls Technologist here.

Primarily working on behalf of consultants as owner's engineers doing design, procurement and construction coordination.

Typical EPCM work with a bit of field stuff mixed in which is always good.

lippy
12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
graduated from the Environmental Science - Enforcement program at LCC in the 80s - spent 5 years as a casual wage employee - working in varying capacities -have held positions as a Park Ranger,Wildlife Technician and Fish and Wildlife Officer and have spent the past 22+ years babysitting bad guys as a Correctional Officer. I am an artist of sorts and tie lots of flies - hoping to start a small business in the near future.

unclebuck
12-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Forcibly retired, osteo-arthritis in both ankles. Hell of a time to get around. Treated my body like a temple for 60 years, :Dand then get bit in the butt with bad ankles!!!! Spent my time banking, flogging fuel, chasing compressor valves, and now living on land rent, pension, and finally the wife is looking after me like any good woman should!!!!:evilgrin: Ice fishing is a great past time.

bruceba
12-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Well I did have a passion for alcohol and the odd fine woman along with late nights doing.... OH wait you said profesion not confesion. I've been involved with heavy truck parts for a little over 25 years. Suplimenting my income by building and selling a few houses {6} over the years. Trapping and subcontracting renovations before the kidlets came around and I had to lay down the anchor and provide full rations for the crew.

oilngas
12-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Sort of working / wish I was retired again Oilfield Eng. out of Calgary. The recession pushed back the retired part (RSP in the dumper) and the sort of working is the downturn in our Industry.

theduke
12-16-2009, 02:32 PM
im a optician and own an optical clinic here in cowtown

timba
12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
currently drilling for Cenovus at Foster Creek

are they doing many holes?Nothing is being done around here.

timba

hockey1099
12-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Im a lawyer. looks like the only one so far.

Tundra Monkey
12-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Only one crazy/dumb enough to admit it :evilgrin:

tm :wave:

doetracks
12-16-2009, 05:02 PM
graduated from the Environmental Science - Enforcement program at LCC in the 80s ...

Figured there'd be another one on here - LCC Envi Sci '89 Grad :D

TreeGuy
12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Here's some pics for ya, Jay. This is the game I play.:)

Tree

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/Minnewanka/Spruce%20Removal/IMG_2811.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/Minnewanka/Spruce%20Removal/IMG_2814.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/Minnewanka/Spruce%20Removal/IMG_2818.jpg

Or, if it's this time of year, we're clearing snow on condo sites. Thank God for back plows!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/IMG_3499_8.jpg

Korzy
12-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Work as a Computer Technician for the Big Blue. Before that I GPS mapped hydro poles for Manitoba Hydro.

Did some stuff on the side, flipped a house, move things with force(trees, stones, hills, dams...) good old explosive fun. :evilgrin:

sheepguide
12-16-2009, 06:33 PM
are they doing many holes?Nothing is being done around here.

timba

ya we just moved ensign 126 onto a 18 hole pad(4 months) and they have another pad almost finished for us. Ensign 20 is finishing a small pad then doing a bunch of wedge wells and re drills. In Jan. ensign 112 is supposed to fire up at Cenovus Christina lake for a new pad and then they say possibley akita 29 after that some time.
SG

ranger
12-16-2009, 07:24 PM
I am a proud Infantry SGT for 22 Years who just been transfer from Yellowknife were i was a Rangers Instructor to Wainwright last summer.

RANGERS LEAD THE NORTH

Rockymtnx
12-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Tree, you should apply for a job on that show Heli Loggers.
They you can get all crazy and jump from tree to tree like Tarzan.

Liviu
12-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I am a mechanical engineer in Edmonton, heading the Engineering Dept. of our Company. We are involved in the field of "pipe supports" and "gasket services" for the oil industry.
but with suncors new expansion (voyager) slowly starting back up and there other expansion firebag preping for start up again seems to be picking back up work wise.
...Suncor is our main customer for pipe supports, and just like the quote above states, it is picking up slowly for the last month or so.
Just the same with Shell, Syncrude, Statoil and others...

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays,
Liviu

Liviu
12-16-2009, 10:36 PM
People still need their money moved from point A to point B.

Can you be a little more specific?
Where exactly is point A and where is point B :)
Also a timeframe would be appreciated..:innocent:

Liviu
12-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I am the service manager/advisor for a farm equipment manufacturing company.
The company I work for build units that mix feed for the cattle and dairy industry. We also build machines that are used for mixing and processing in the environmental industry.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n41/rockymtnx/DSC_0084-600.jpg

Back in 1999-2000, I used to work for a harvesting equipment manufacturer in Winnipeg.
At some point we start builiding 3 prototype harvesters at an outfit in Portage la Prairie called "Hi Tech Manufacturing". They build equipment just like the one you show in this picture, among others.
And by the way, I can see palm trees in the background. I wish I would see something like that in my backyard.

hockey1099
12-16-2009, 11:04 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/34dkcih.jpg

I needed a pic to keep up

Rockymtnx
12-17-2009, 10:13 AM
I can see palm trees in the background. I wish I would see something like that in my backyard.

Yeah those three units are in Costa Rica. 85% of the machines we build are exported out of Canada.

Geezle
12-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Well I did have a passion for alcohol and the odd fine woman along with late nights doing.... OH wait you said profesion not confesion.

We'll save the confession for another thread on another day! :lol:

Geezle
12-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Here's some pics for ya, Jay. This is the game I play.:)

Tree

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/Minnewanka/Spruce%20Removal/IMG_2811.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/Minnewanka/Spruce%20Removal/IMG_2814.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/Minnewanka/Spruce%20Removal/IMG_2818.jpg

Or, if it's this time of year, we're clearing snow on condo sites. Thank God for back plows!

[IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/IMG_3499_8.jpg[/IMG
Crazy bugger! I don't think you'd catch me playing waaay up there!

Then again, in the summer I'm the clown up on the roof in open toe sandals...so maybe you would catch me up there! :lol:

super7mag
12-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Pretty cool thread, I myself am just a heavy duty mechanic out working on my own now for the last three years. I worked at three different Ag shops over the previous 15 years, spent my last stint with 2 months left from my 10 years ann. with a J.D dealership and quit, needed a break and figure out where I was going and doing. Worked the oilfield for a filler for 4 months a nice holiday(something new). but then spring break-up hit and I had to feed the family, so I started mechanic'n again on my own for local farmers and I haven't looked back, I sure don,t get rich but can make a living and you get some good hunting land with easy acsess ( usually not always).

Rocks
12-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Wellsite geologist, rig hand before that, been hanging around them stinkin old drilling rigs since the early eighties. Also just for fun I'm a certified Faller.

Deano
12-18-2009, 03:36 AM
I'm a poker player and also do announcing for boxing and MMA.

mtylerb
12-18-2009, 04:42 AM
Can you be a little more specific?
Where exactly is point A and where is point B :)
Also a timeframe would be appreciated..:innocent:

Sure, I'll tell you that ... wait ... no I won't. :p

I, personally, don't have a problem with the "shoot first, ask questions later" approach to my job. Might want to pick another crew. :innocent:

Rollie
12-18-2009, 04:48 AM
Still a Mat Tech in our fine armed forces......only another 20 yrs till retirement.

el sparko
12-18-2009, 06:49 AM
i sell fords, lots and lots of fords...i get to b/s with nice folks like you guys every day! it's great! the stories, the interesting lives you all lead...."honey,, have you seen my pills??"

omega50
12-18-2009, 07:17 AM
This one time, at band camp.

1st half of life as a millwright, decided to toss it all when I hit 30 and become a chef for 1/3 the money.

20 years later I run a sales agency selling commercial food equipment and consulting as a chef instructor.

Now on a break leaving for Vancouver in Jan for 2 months to chef at a camp feeding the military for the Olympics up at Cypress

Clgy_Dave2.0
12-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Now on a break leaving for Vancouver in Jan for 2 months to chef at a camp feeding the military for the Olympics up at Cypress

Now THAT sounds like fun!! Are you staying right up at Cypress? Only a short drive down into the city. Do you get any discounts to any of the games?

Mhunter51
12-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Spent a couple years underground at a potash mine. Went back to SIAST and became a butcher/meat cutter for the next 35 years. Retired ( early ) near four years ago and spend time at the cabin, fishing and hunting.

omega50
12-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Hey Calgary Dave

The camp is halfway up to Cypress at the day use area. Gonna be jammed with wall tents with heated floors. Cooking and serving out of a trailer. Will be 250 men when it gets going full bore.No free tickets to the games I would suspect , but a ton of concerts and free stuff to go to. Camp will support pre-Olympics, during, post and likely Paralympics. Half my time at Cypress and likely a week or two at Callaghan near Whistler same set up.

Geezle
12-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Still a Mat Tech in our fine armed forces......only another 20 yrs till retirement.

And we appreciate the fine work you're doing out there :wave:

AvayaAce
12-18-2009, 08:55 PM
30 years in telecom

icefever
12-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Many years as an Executive Chef. Now working as an Resident Administrator for an independant Senior Facility.

rustyguts
12-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Did 26 years in the RCN then tried to retire. wife said go to work or stop eating. So went back to work on the base where I retired looking after the gate. Quit last winter and spent it in the Yukon, 13 feet of snow and average temp of - 30. Came home and worked on call at same old job, and volunteered for Olympics the quitting for good.

Redfrog
12-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I used to be a martial arts instructor but as I got older it took it's toll. I had to move on to a new career. My last job involved a turkey baster and the Grizzly Bear Artificial insemination team in Montana. Not for the faint of heart.:D

boonedocks
12-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Boilermaker local 146 currently working maintenance at imperial oil refinery strathcona.

Sooner
12-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Independent damage appraiser, mostly work with ins companys. Damaged semi's, the trailers and equipment they haul, farm eq, rv's, cars and trucks. Get to meet tons of great people who have had the bad luck of of a crash. Quite a few times we will see a bad wreck(semi) on the news and a day or two later we are looking at it again for some ins co. Get to see some nice country as well while we drive around alberta.

archdlx
12-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, as of December 4th.......

I was promoted from an Op lll to, wait for it........professional couch holder downer! Yep, after almost 14 yrs they say I'm "surplus to their future plans".

On with life we go............

Sputnik
12-18-2009, 11:54 PM
20 years in service to Her Majesty and Canada, then into the civilian market after a year and change living the good life (hunting and fishing at will) before the other Her Majesty told me I was having too much fun and to go get a job.

Last 12 years in the defence industry in a variety of positions, traveling the world and try to lend my experience in reality to the smart young engineers who create the next best thing for our serving members doing their jobs.

It's a good life, until retirement comes along again with a better deal in the permanent chase of fish and critters.

sikwhiskey
12-19-2009, 12:48 AM
20 years in service to her majesty and canada, then into the civilian market after a year and change living the good life (hunting and fishing at will) before the other her majesty told me i was having too much fun and to go get a job.

Last 12 years in the defence industry in a variety of positions, traveling the world and try to lend my experience in reality to the smart young engineers who create the next best thing for our serving members doing their jobs.

It's a good life, until retirement comes along again with a better deal in the permanent chase of fish and critters.

her majesty???????

mtylerb
12-19-2009, 12:58 AM
... In times of Peace, sharpen your Swords

Pfft. Let the enemy sharpen their swords, I'm stocking up on ammo and gun parts. :D

Dick284
12-19-2009, 08:47 AM
her majesty???????

Yes her Majesty.
That's to whom you swear allegence to when you join the Canadian or any Commonwealth armed forces.

I, [name], do Solemnly swear (affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors according to law, forever. So help me God.

I think you understand the refrence to Her Majesty later on in his post. AKA the War Department, Finance Minister, Ball and Chain, Hunny Bunch, or what ever else the other half or better half has ever been called.

ghglenn
12-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Currently I am a "Domestic Engineer" (aka at-home-dad) for a 3 y.o. girl and 4 y.o. boy.
Has been the most rewarding/difficult job I have had to do. When my "employers" finally send me packing (go to school full time), I will return to general contracting in some capacity.

Browning Sharpsh00ter
12-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Hello everyone, for the last 10years ive been a test operator for small and regional sized aircraft engines for Pratt and Whitney Canada. Pretty cool job if u can handle all the VP bulls"it....nothing beats having 500 - 1500 of turbo prop HP in the palm of your hands....

Kootenai
12-19-2009, 11:16 AM
What an assortment of talent of everything you can imagine. The amazing thing is we all have the same love of hunting, fishing, and the outdoors. I really can't imagine living anywhere else in the world than this beautiful and diversified country of Canada. I whine and complain with the rest about everything. When I am alone, and in the wilderness, and just feeling, I forget about every trouble and feel nothing but blessed.

I am a tugboat engineer for 20 plus years, now retired, and have less time to do everything than I did when I was working!

Sputnik
12-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Dick has it right on both counts.

Service to Her Majesty is just the way the older generation of soldiers refer to service. We do not hold Canada second by any stretch of the imagination.

The second Her Majesty is just as he put it and soldiers have a couple of other pet names. The Little RSM, Niner Domestic, Chief of Staff and She Who Must Be Obeyed....and I'm sure the list can go on.

I'm personally not a "royalist" as can be read into my tag line and I assume the offensive post that I saw in my e-mail alert was removed by the Mods as I do not see it in this thread, and I thank them if that is the case.

gunman300
12-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Construction surveyor.

BC HUNTER
12-19-2009, 06:37 PM
retired crane operator in 2001 could,nt stand it! Worked part time for
another 5 years . Ordered a new EP today back in the game!!

dss44
12-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Full time student...make loads of cash that way :P lol. During summer though fishing charter captain...which is an AMAZING job...can't think of anything better...the student part however...well, it's ok, has its "perks" ;) :lol:

bearblaster
12-19-2009, 06:56 PM
thermal fusion enginer

TreeGuy
12-19-2009, 07:13 PM
thermal fusion enginer

Homer?? Is it really YOU?????

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/thhome.gif

Tree

PS Just razzin' ya BB!:D

Wrongside
12-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Contractor.
http://usera.ImageCave.com/Wrongside/Work/000_0009.JPG
http://usera.ImageCave.com/Wrongside/Work/100_1073.JPG
http://usera.ImageCave.com/Wrongside/Work/100_1075.JPG

flyguyd
12-19-2009, 11:10 PM
graduated from the Environmental Science - Enforcement program at LCC in the 80s - spent 5 years as a casual wage employee - working in varying capacities -have held positions as a Park Ranger,Wildlife Technician and Fish and Wildlife Officer and have spent the past 22+ years babysitting bad guys as a Correctional Officer. I am an artist of sorts and tie lots of flies - hoping to start a small business in the near future.

When did you graduate . I too, graduated from environmental science ,enforcement in the 80s

hosmerunited
12-20-2009, 11:54 AM
spent 13 years doing almost every job involved in restuarants right up to management then said screw working late nights and not seeing my kids at the time (2 year old and newborn)
went to working for a company doing new residential underground utilities. now have my j man ticket for power lineman. (only 5 years in still **** loads to learn though) mostly underground work have had the chance to be on overhead(love that side so much more)
mike

Shmag
12-22-2009, 07:54 AM

OK...i'll bite, was this a joke or are you serious. Love fishing and not hunting??? Just curious, kind of find it funny or do you actually work for "PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS":lol:

bessiedog
12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
boy am I hesitant to put this out there, since I got slagged last time.

I'm a highschool teacher. But I get to live right where I want to. 5 minutes from trophy animals and trout.

the only thing I miss is Perch fishing.

Liviu
12-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Regarding your signature.

If there are no absolutes...

Then everything is relative...

Therefore relativity is absolute ;)

bobjoe
12-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Well I might as well put my bit on here. I as well serve for Her Majesty as front line infantry. Only 23 years until retirement.......

WkndWarrior
12-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Crown Corporation pencil pusher

mikelikefish
12-22-2009, 10:20 PM
i am an ironworker with more time working than fishing but i am going to make time for rainbows before this year ends and when 2010 starts:

sparky660
12-22-2009, 11:24 PM
I am a power engineer. I sit in front of a computer all day and monitor a process, kind of like Homer Simpson I guess.

K.J
12-23-2009, 03:15 PM
I have been drilling seismic shot holes for the last 18 years and I love it. Its great to be able to scout out new hunting and fishing spots while working.

Thunder/FX
12-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Pyrotechnition. Its a cool job and even hot sometimes. High hazard fireworks displays and indoor pyrotechnics. You guys should really try some of MY reloads!! Not so much fun on New years eve! www.thunderfx.ca
Merry Christmas All

ESOXangler
12-23-2009, 07:54 PM
im a j-man instrumentation tech and moon light as a bull****ter