PDA

View Full Version : Boat Sonar for Ice Fishing?

jrcw
12-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Can you use a regular fish finder for ice fishing? I have a Lowrance sonar with a flasher mode and I'm wondering if I could hook it up to a battery and drop the transducer through the hole on a pole of some sort. Has anyone tried this or think it may work? I would be using it inside my shack. Thanks.

nicemustang
12-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Yes it does. That's what we use. Works great, hopefully its dual mode as we like to use the narrow view.

jrcw
12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
nicemustang: thanks for the response. Glad to know it's do-able. Saves me buying a flasher (although I'm sure that they're probably better). How do you rig your transducer?

honker_clonker
12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
If your sonar has the flasher built in, you could order a ice transducer for it. This way you just get put a sleeve of foam on the cable and it dangles in the hole. A guy was selling one in Minneapolis for $40, shipped here it would still end up being cheaper than geting a new one i would imagine. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ele/1506014570.html

jrcw
12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Right on, thanks.

AlbertaAngler
12-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Lowrance also makes an adapter kit depending on which model you have

http://www.fishfinder-store.com/lowrance-ppp-16i-ice-fishing.html

calgarygringo
12-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Yes I have used my last several finder while ice fishing. We have lately swiched to the camera so have not used much but we have used a humminbird and my current eagle as well. Both worked great.

thorne
12-16-2009, 05:13 PM
point of interest..no need to drill a hole, just chip out a small spot on top of the ice, pour some water in and putr the transducer in the water in firm contact with the ice. the transducer will loose some detail, but will still give accurate depth, so it saves drilling a crap load of holes looking for proper depth on in a new location...works greatand saves a whole crapload of time.

jrcw
12-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Interesting idea, I'll have to give that a try!