PDA

View Full Version : Weak ice due to fast/extreme cold temps?

Chris89lx
12-14-2009, 09:45 PM
So I hear on the news today for people to be cautious because the water froze too fast and the ice is not as strong.
Could this be true or is it just one more way of saying be careful out there?

ghostguy6
12-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Ice that freezes fast tends to trap air making it week. Ice that flash freezes tends to be very brittle and will shatter rather than crack. With the ice already having a good base of 6-10 inches in most places you shouldnt have a problem. I wouldnt drive a vehicle out on the ice yet though.
If you look up ice climbing you can find a ton of info on how to judge good ice.

latenite
12-14-2009, 10:32 PM
i am wondering if you only go out closer to shore, if you'd be ok? all this chat about people breaking through is freakin me out! i want to get my shack on this weekend! Maybe smaller lakes would be safer right now?

ghostguy6
12-14-2009, 10:39 PM
maybe this will help
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/image/article/dec06/thin-ice-chart.gif

latenite
12-14-2009, 10:44 PM
i guess worrying doesn't help, i'll do the smart thing and drill as i go!

jrs
12-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Lots of guys going through right now are not thinking. I fished a lake in central Alberta last weekend that had 6-8'' of ice, and there were guys driving out. I know that much ice will typically hold a vehicle but if you hit a thin spot (spring or moving water typically) it can spell trouble. It's good hard ice right now, not soft like the early ice i've encountered over the past few years. If you're fishing on foot the lakes are ready to go. Just don't drive on before checking how much ice there is. If you're nervous, smaller lakes will typically have more ice.

Reeves1
12-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Ice that freezes fast tends to trap air making it week. Ice that flash freezes tends to be very brittle and will shatter rather than crack. With the ice already having a good base of 6-10 inches in most places you shouldnt have a problem. I wouldnt drive a vehicle out on the ice yet though.
If you look up ice climbing you can find a ton of info on how to judge good ice.

Good post !

I used to ice climb. Really didn't like ice formed during the very cold snaps.
Huge dinner plates would break off, sometimes knocking your feet out/off, of the ice: not fun hanging by one hand tool !

dollfin
12-15-2009, 09:35 AM
:) Thanks, great pic ghost! I am planning on going ice fishing real soon!

ghostguy6
12-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Good post !

Huge dinner plates would break off, sometimes knocking your feet out/off, of the ice: not fun hanging by one hand tool !

I always liked try to place a screw in ice that flash froze, its very disheartening watching the ice shattering as you put the screw in.:lol:

AlbertaAngler
12-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Good post !

Me too. But my wife has placed ice climbing on the list of "things daddies don't do". So ice fishing has taken its place. On the plus side the screws are great for anchoring an ice tent.

Reeves1
12-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Me too. But my wife has placed ice climbing on the list of "things daddies don't do". So ice fishing has taken its place. On the plus side the screws are great for anchoring an ice tent.

Wait till you use your retired 11mm rope to pull a Moose out of the bush !

Streeeeeetch.......and sling shots out to the logging road, chasing you down the road ! (yes, I did this...but only one time !)

:lol:

Beeners now used to hook chains etc on trailers etc.

Haven't figured out what to use the Foot Fangs on .....yet !

Smaller ice hammer I take with me ice fishing. One never knows if you'll fall through where a spring is, and an ice axe will work best to get out.

ghostguy6
12-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Haven't figured out what to use the Foot Fangs on .....yet !

They work great for kicking someone in the *****......:lol:

I keep mine in the truck now, they are great when you have to push a car out of the ditch when you cant get a foothold. I wore them last year ice fishing when there was a heavy wet snow. Everyone was slipping while I was running across the ice.

Im wishing I kept some of my screws though. Those things are expensive now.

Reeves1
12-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Im wishing I kept some of my screws though. Those things are expensive now.

I still have a wack of them. Plus some odd "pick-ups" from the bottom of falls, picked up after spring break-up.

My foot fangs wouldn't be nice on ice. Boots are Hanwags (the ones like a ski boot).

One day I may have to make a list of the stuff I want to part with......

ghostguy6
12-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Want to get rid of a few of those screws? I tried the anchors that came with my tent, I think I would have to pre drill the holes before they would work.

Reeves1
12-17-2009, 07:48 PM
You only need one screw. Auger it in, remove, and pound in a length of conduit.

Not sure yet what I'm doing with the screws.
I have at least 4 different lengths. (been a while since looking at them)