PDA

View Full Version : mr heater problems

eyewhomper
12-15-2009, 06:30 PM
i purchased a mister heater at the end of the season last year used it twice worked great tried it this year and stupid thing wont work the problem is after i light the pilot your supposed too hold it down 30-60 seconds and then turn it too high but wont light worst 100 ever spent just wondering if anyone else has had this problem if so is there a fix thx in advance

ghostguy6
12-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Were you using 1lb bottles or a 20 lbs bottle with an adaptor hose? If you are using a 20lbs bottle you should have a filter in the line or you could contaminate the ceramic plate.

You could try taking off the metal cage and cleaning the ceramic plate with some running water. Make sure the plate is totally dry before you put it back.

camshaft
12-15-2009, 09:45 PM
dont try and clean the ceramic plates. Its not the ceramic that gets dirty when not using the filter. My understanding is thats its the pilot itself from the oils in the hose, and/or contaminates in the propane itself (from bulk fill ups)

I have a filter myself, but have read guys using 20lbers all year long w/o any problem.

This probably isnt the problem, but u may want to adjust the pilot so it sits higher.....perhaps yours has slipped down a bit. Here is a link for a common problem of the pilots blowing out too easily

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?t=36910

Perchfisher
12-15-2009, 10:03 PM
The same thing happened to my mr heater. I ran it without a filter last year and this year it worked in the garage when I tried it but out in the cold it would not stay lit. I unhooked the hose from the bottle and found something on the coupler that looked like grease. Tried taking apart and cleaning it up but to no avail. New mr heater with fuel filter sitting in th garage now.:mad3:

Drewski Canuck
12-15-2009, 10:47 PM
If it lights but won't keep the gas valve open, this hints to the thermocouple, depending on the model you have. The Thermocouple uses dis similar metals, when heated, creating a small electric current. Just like in an old style furnace, the very low voltage is what keeps the gas valve open. When the flame goes out, the gas valve closes.

What model do you have? I was just at Mutual Propane in Edmonton looking at parts for a tank top Mr. HEater. Parts were going to cost $50.00, as my regulator was broken, along with the thermocouple. New for the upgraded heater was $79.00 at Princess Auto. Not worth the time to fix it.

Drewski

gui
12-16-2009, 05:23 PM
that happend to us too. the heater was sitting in the garage for the summer n when we tried to turn it on it wouldnt. but after like 100 tries it worked. i think its just from sitting for a long time.

ULTRAlite
12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Where's the best place to buy the adapter hose and filter?

billycap
12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
my big buddy has always been kinda touchy... i find that you have to hold the button in for like 5min or more especially if you turn off the bottle and let it burn itself out on previous trip... never used a filter and i use 10 or 20 lbs bottles.
Also if its like -30 or more you have to get out and shake the bottle all the time as propane dosent spray onto plate uniformly.