PDA

View Full Version : Phyllis Lake Ice

Scotty P.
12-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Anyone been to Phyllis Lake recently? How much Ice? Any Luck?

hard_azz
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
was out there just over a month ago and there was a good 4-5 inches of solid ice with no snow on it then so i would almost say its dam close to driveable by now.... all we caught was suckers but we seen a huge rainbow swimmin nice and close to shore... im thinkin bout goin down there maybe this weekend.... its either there, burntstick or gull i think... wat u goin out there to target the bows or the perch? i wouldnt mind a shot at that big bugger we saw there and maybe a bucket full of perch to

Scotty P.
12-16-2009, 04:13 PM
was out there just over a month ago and there was a good 4-5 inches of solid ice with no snow on it then so i would almost say its dam close to driveable by now.... all we caught was suckers but we seen a huge rainbow swimmin nice and close to shore... im thinkin bout goin down there maybe this weekend.... its either there, burntstick or gull i think... wat u goin out there to target the bows or the perch? i wouldnt mind a shot at that big bugger we saw there and maybe a bucket full of perch to

We're usually after the bows. I'd like one of those big guy's myself but usually we only catch the 15 - 20cm ones, which is still fun when you land 30+ in a day!The perch are fairly small, at least the ones we caught were. Last year I saw a woman pull a Rainbow out that was just a hair over 41cm and I talked to a guy who showed me a picture of a 9lb rainbow he caught there that same year. I can't confirm the weight but you could tell in the picture it was a hog. The fish stocking report said they put 70 bows that were 70cm average and another 70 bows that were 80cm average in there just this last spring/summer. That doesn't include the hundreds of little ones they put in there every year!

hard_azz
12-16-2009, 04:22 PM
We're usually after the bows. I'd like one of those big guy's myself but usually we only catch the 15 - 20cm ones, which is still fun when you land 30+ in a day!The perch are fairly small, at least the ones we caught were. Last year I saw a woman pull a Rainbow out that was just a hair over 41cm and I talked to a guy who showed me a picture of a 9lb rainbow he caught there that same year. I can't confirm the weight but you could tell in the picture it was a hog. The fish stocking report said they put 70 bows that were 70cm average and another 70 bows that were 80cm average in there just this last spring/summer. That doesn't include the hundreds of little ones they put in there every year!

oh wow i didnt realize they put that many big ones in there this year.... the one we saw had to be over 60cm easily.... just a big ole hog... saw quite a few smaller ones swimmin round to but all we could hook into was some dam suckers... wat usually keeps them bows bitin out there in the winter? i have always wanted to try some bucktails or even some beadhead flys but i never really go out for trout in the winter.... suggestions??

Scotty P.
12-16-2009, 04:33 PM
We have always just used bait on Phyllis (worms, shrimp and powerbait. Maggots work great for the perch.) but I find that the fish just inhail bait which can make it difficult to remove the hook without doing any real harm to the fish you wish to put back. I have been told to try some egg patterns or leach patterns or even some streamers but I haven't tried any of these yet myself. If anyone else reading this thread has some advice on ice fishing WITHOUT bait, I would love to find some other ways of targeting all types of fish, especially since there are so many lakes that have bait bans.

WayneChristie
12-16-2009, 05:26 PM
We have always just used bait on Phyllis (worms, shrimp and powerbait. Maggots work great for the perch.) but I find that the fish just inhail bait which can make it difficult to remove the hook without doing any real harm to the fish you wish to put back. I have been told to try some egg patterns or leach patterns or even some streamers but I haven't tried any of these yet myself. If anyone else reading this thread has some advice on ice fishing WITHOUT bait, I would love to find some other ways of targeting all types of fish, especially since there are so many lakes that have bait bans.

I tried a prince nymph for perch at Enchant, ended up with a smaller rainbow and had a much larger one to the top of the ice also on it, so they should work at Phyllis. put a maggot on it and the perch will eat it too.

hard_azz
12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
right on guys thanks.... i just might go give it a shot out there on the weekend.... or maybe somewhere else... tight lines guys