PDA

View Full Version : This is a big walleye.

sheephunter
12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Now this is a big walleye.....33" with 25" plus girth. Likely 18 pounds. Caught last weekend on Red River on a 3/4 ounce Walleye Flasher jig.

http://www.youtube.com:80/catsontheredcanada

deanmc
12-16-2009, 09:19 PM
That is a monster alright. Looks like the video was a re-creation maybe??
I have never seen a walleye come out of the hole so nice and calm with all its fins spread as perfectly as that.

sheephunter
12-16-2009, 09:22 PM
I have never seen a walleye come out of the hole so nice and calm with all its fins spread as perfectly as that.

I don't think so. I know the guys that were there and apparently that's the way it happened.

deanmc
12-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Cool I would love to hook on to one that size.:wave:

eyewhomper
12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
thats the stiffest walleye i ever seen come out of the hole sure looks fake

baitfisher83
12-16-2009, 09:31 PM
thats awesome, really makes me wanna go chase some Walleye through the ice

deanmc
12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
thats the stiffest walleye i ever seen come out of the hole sure looks fake

I am sure it is not fake. I thought it looked like maybe they missed the actual catch with the camera and pulled it out of the hole again after it had been on the ice for a bit. In any case nice fish.

jrs
12-16-2009, 09:37 PM
That's a real nice walleye. Neat video.
I had a chat with a few fisheries managers from that area last winter and they were telling me how many big walleye are being taken from the Red River and Lake Winnipeg. There is a new forage species in the lake (rainbow smelt) and the walleye population is just booming as a result. They had pictures of walleye most fisherman could only dream of.

deanmc
12-16-2009, 09:40 PM
That's a real nice walleye. Neat video.
I had a chat with a few fisheries managers from that area last winter and they were telling me how many big walleye are being taken from the Red River and Lake Winnipeg. There is a new forage species in the lake (rainbow smelt) and the walleye population is just booming as a result. They had pictures of walleye most fisherman could only dream of.

Hmmmmmmm May have to plan a trip........;)

double gun
12-16-2009, 09:51 PM
I am sure it is not fake. I thought it looked like maybe they missed the actual catch with the camera and pulled it out of the hole again after it had been on the ice for a bit. In any case nice fish.

X2 Its a hog, but it sure seemed rehearsed.

fishunter77
12-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Great fish. I hope there is some in Alberta that size!!:)

double gun
12-16-2009, 10:06 PM

no kidding!

troutpirate
12-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Now this is a big walleye.....33" with 25" plus girth. Likely 18 pounds. Caught last weekend on Red River on a 3/4 ounce Walleye Flasher jig.

http://www.youtube.com:80/catsontheredcanada

meh, im just not into those coarse fish.:tongue2:

i prefer the "bugeaters":D

WayneChristie
12-16-2009, 10:28 PM
meh, im just not into those coarse fish.:tongue2:

i prefer the "bugeaters":D

cool, someone has to clean them out to make room for the "real" fish :D

Rockymtnx
12-16-2009, 10:33 PM
That is indeed one big walleye.

Not uncommon though on the Red River. Remember you knew that one guy that got 3 of them on the open water there. :evilgrin:

jrs
12-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Hmmmmmmm May have to plan a trip........;)

From what they said Lake Winnipeg gets very little fishing pressure due to the lake getting pretty ugly when the wind picks up. With all the food, limited pressure, and the productive nature of the lake, some big eyes are taken every year. Probably a desirable destination.

sheephunter
12-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Here's some more info that I received...

The first annual inaugural Corporate Media Event was held this past weekend of December 12th, 2009 hosted
by Stu McKay of Cats on the Red, in Lockport. Manitoba. With many leaders in the ice fishing industry attending,
Stu strived to make this a great success and prove the big eyes are in Canada.
Team ReelBait™, consisting of brothers Jason and Jeff Matity from Saskatchewan, Stu Mckay from Lockport,
Manitoba and Holly Chow from Winnipeg, Manitoba. This behemoth eye was caught by the one and only Jason
Matity from Team ReelBait™ and as the drama played out the entire sequence was captured on video! It sported
a 25 inch girth and nearly did not make it out of the 8.5 inch hole. A safe guess would be between 17 and 18 lbs.
Once again ReelBait™ came through, a 1/2 ounce Penguin Red Tail Flasher jig was used. Jason you make
ReelBait™ Proud.

Winch101
12-17-2009, 09:59 AM
I think , though this is an above average size walleye ( not for Lk. Wpg. )

I have to agree with those that casted a few aspersions on the video .

A certain amount of Artistic Licence was taken in shooting the video .

This is obviously a commercial aimed at the American market but

non the less entertaining ... And besides if you cant bend the truth a

little when it comes to fishing whats left in a civilized society...W101

sheephunter
12-17-2009, 10:05 AM

LOL...you are likely right about artistic licence but even for the good old Red River, this is definitely an above average walleye.....especially through the ice.

sheephunter
12-17-2009, 10:12 AM
That is indeed one big walleye.

Not uncommon though on the Red River. Remember you knew that one guy that got 3 of them on the open water there. :evilgrin:

LMAO.....ya, I think the truth may have got stretched there a bit.:)

I've got a ton of days in on the Red and I've yet to touch one that size.

Big Red 250
12-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Next time I go back to Wpg, I want to catch a 20 lber.

bigd
12-17-2009, 10:56 AM
definitely a real fish, but the action is fake and rehearsed. That walleye is frozen stiff, all fins out and stiff, gills not moving or gasping for O2 like it would if it were a fresh live catch. I lived and fished in the Dryden area for several years and pulled many an 'eye out in -40 weather- not one looked the way that one did coming out of the hole.

Pretty cheesy and borderline pathetic if you ask me...all for the sake of promoting some guiding company. I wouldn't hire these guys.

calgarygringo
12-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I used to go up the Red every fall when I was a teenager living there for the big greenbacks. 10+ lb. walleyes were just an average catch back then. I would assume it hasn't changed much. There are monsters in there coming in from Lake Wpg. for sure. Been there done that.

Dr. Fish
12-17-2009, 11:13 AM
That's an awesome walleye through the ice. The walleye is acting just how it should for the conditions that it is caught in, take a look at around 2min and 10sec and you will notice that its fins are already freezing, that means its really cold out. I've caught lots of large walleyes in really cold weather and they all act this stiff as a board way, must be due to the shock of -30 air.
A production yes, a fake no.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-17-2009, 11:20 AM
That Stuf from Cats on the Red , I had one of his guides when I was up there 2 years ago for Cats . Defenetly not uncommon for Walleye this beastly , but to hook into an 18 pounder . :love::love::love::love:

ULTRAlite
12-17-2009, 12:04 PM
There's a few things in the video that make me think it's not rehearsed such as fumbling for the camera at the end, and the comments made to someone off camera. Might be but whatever, hell of a fish. Can only dream of one that big.

matt1984
12-17-2009, 03:23 PM
That's an awesome walleye through the ice. The walleye is acting just how it should for the conditions that it is caught in, take a look at around 2min and 10sec and you will notice that its fins are already freezing, that means its really cold out. I've caught lots of large walleyes in really cold weather and they all act this stiff as a board way, must be due to the shock of -30 air.
A production yes, a fake no.

x2 , I've seen big walleye act just like that when it's cold and windy.

pecker
12-17-2009, 05:43 PM

i thiiiink you may be right.;)

pickrel pat
12-17-2009, 06:37 PM
ive never seen a dead or exhausted walleye pull and make runs like that. there was a scuba diver down there tugging on the line and giving the fisherman resistance. i just bet you!:lol::lol::wave: lets pick a -40 below day to stage this!:o

tchow
12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
The Red River is world known for its Fishery. Especially when it comes to Channel Cats. Expect average Cat to weigh 25 lbs. Fall and winter are prime times when they target big Eyes. Plenty of Forage in that system. During openwater, you'll see Seine boats out on the river for Minnows. With the main River Channel to average 27 ft.
I seem to remember that there was about 21 different species in the river. When we fished there, we managed to catch 11 species in 5 days we fished. At one point, we went thru the Tackle box just to find something that "did not" catch a fish. We were power fishing so numbers caught were well over 500 for the two of us.
Manitoba has a very well managed Fishery and have regulated this for a long time. Have recommended it to anyone who wants to experience a fishing trip of a lifetime!
Regardless of any promotional material, that is one monster Greenback to come out of the Red !!
Go there and try it out, you'll know what I mean:cool::cool:

damienelliott
12-17-2009, 09:17 PM
that fish doesnt have a 25 inch girth an eight inch hole is only 24 inches aroundit didnt scrape the sides at all i caught a pike throught the ice it was 22 inch girth and 43 3/4 inches long it only weighed 19 pounds 7 ounces after it was dead for couple hours so probly realy close to 20 and it was hard to get out of the hole dont get me wrong it is a beauty maybe 12 pounds but congrats anyway but i bet you tell some awesome fish stories hey LOL!!!

lucaslogan
12-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Who are they trying to B.S. That is not a real fish, I am surprised it was not singing and moving its tail.How many fish come out of the hole stiff as a board and covered in shellac?

hunter49
12-18-2009, 12:00 AM
that fish doesnt have a 25 inch girth an eight inch hole is only 24 inches aroundit didnt scrape the sides at all i caught a pike throught the ice it was 22 inch girth and 43 3/4 inches long it only weighed 19 pounds 7 ounces after it was dead for couple hours so probly realy close to 20 and it was hard to get out of the hole dont get me wrong it is a beauty maybe 12 pounds but congrats anyway but i bet you tell some awesome fish stories hey LOL!!!

x2, overestimated forsure on the girth. However the fish is real, the video could be a bit cheesy but the fish is definitely real.

Drano
12-18-2009, 03:44 AM
great video....

nothing fishy there...:wave::wave:

searay
12-18-2009, 10:43 AM
That was one stiff fish, I've never seen a fish ever act like that no matter how cold, not that it couldn't happen, I just have never seen it.. My opinion is that its not that cold where ever that is filmed, no gloves and guy pulls ice out of hole in -30.... Nice fish...

If that is not a rehearsed catch, I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'm looking to sell ?

jeprli
12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
There are bigger wallygators at SSR, I've personally measured a 9.8kg 84cm that some lady hooked on a pickerel rig. Biggest I've managed was 9lbs :mad2:

Too bad people don't release these giants, but instead think of them as a puppet or food...

sheephunter
12-18-2009, 12:44 PM
There are bigger wallygators at SSR, I've personally measured a 9.8kg 84cm that some lady hooked on a pickerel rig. Biggest I've managed was 9lbs :mad2:

Too bad people don't release these giants, but instead think of them as a puppet or food...

You measured at 21.5 pound walleye in Alberta???????? That would 6 pounds bigger than the current provincial record.

Buck Krazy
12-18-2009, 12:56 PM
That vid looks good to me, you guys just need to catch more eyes through the ice!! Walleyes will stiffen up and flare their fins when grabbed!! Really guys, come on!!!

sheephunter
12-18-2009, 12:57 PM
That vid looks good to me, you guys just need to catch more eyes through the ice!! Walleyes will stiffen up and flare their fins when grabbed!! Really guys, come on!!!

LOL...that's what I thought too!

JohninAB
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
In my dreams, in my dreams, I catch them that big. Awesome eye!

Cal
12-18-2009, 01:51 PM
lol one post in and we're already picking it appart, gotta love this place:love:

Walleyes
12-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Heck of a fish..

deanmc
12-18-2009, 07:19 PM
lol one post in and we're already picking it appart, gotta love this place:love:

Sorry Sheephunter
Maybe I was being a dick but I didn't mean to attack your thread. you really are one of the people on here that has a ton of positive posts and it has not been unnoticed by me. Sorry if it seemed like I was picking the video apart.:o

Prairieboy
12-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Wow tough crowd. Might be a little cheese on the promotion side but that's what sells $$$.

As for the naysaying, have another look at the video. You'll see the fish shaking its head before buddy gets a grip on the gill plate, then look at the dorsal fin when it first comes out...completely relaxed and then it gets walloped with -CRAZY degrees celcius and the dorsal fin erects and the fish stiffens up. The wind freezes their eyes really quick too so if it is not for the table it should go straight back in. Hopefully buddy's hand over its eyes was soon enough, otherwise it'll be fertilizer or a wall mount.

Awesome fish and the 8+" smelts their feeding on is exactly why they get that big.

deanmc
12-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Wow tough crowd. Might be a little cheese on the promotion side but that's what sells $$$.

As for the naysaying, have another look at the video. You'll see the fish shaking its head before buddy gets a grip on the gill plate, then look at the dorsal fin when it first comes out...completely relaxed and then it gets walloped with -CRAZY degrees celcius and the dorsal fin erects and the fish stiffens up. The wind freezes their eyes really quick too so if it is not for the table it should go straight back in. Hopefully buddy's hand over its eyes was soon enough, otherwise it'll be fertilizer or a wall mount.

Awesome fish and the 8+" smelts their feeding on is exactly why they get that big.

I looked again and I believe you are right.

Rigg dogg
12-19-2009, 12:08 AM
YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now thats an ICE HOGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRADE 3 PAGE 5. not to hard to seeeeeeeeeeeeeee. it's a HOGGGG!!!

I wil catch one some DAY!!!

Chris K
12-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Do I think the fish has a 25 inch girth? Not in my opinion.
Is it 33 inches long? Might be, but hard to tell from a video. I do think the length is pretty close to what they claim.

It is a big fish, but I really think the weight has been padded a bit. A real 16 pounder... yes I think it might be more possible than it being an 18 pounder, but I really doubt it being a legitimate fish much over 16 in any way from what I can tell. I have held a 17 and 16 pound walleye, and this just does not measure up to me to be much over 16. A friends 16 pounder from Nipawin had a 22 inch girth, and his fish was similar in fatness like this one my opinion. Looking at the belly of the fish and how it was held while going to another tent, it just doesn't look like it's 25 inches around to me. When I had my hands on a 17 pounder, the eproportions of it's body and eyes were huge compared to the 16 pounder. The eyes on the 17 pound fish stuck out a half inch on either side of it's head, and it's scales were slightly smaller than dimes. Fish that big look like mutants! I feel very fortunate to have touched a walleye that's bigger than our provincial record. Now I just need to catch one that big myself!

The video looks very real, and the fish behaves just as I would expect her to.

In the picture below this is a bonafide 16 pound walleye caught by a friend of mine last fall out of Tobin Lake. It was 32 inches long and had a 22 inch girth. Look at how thick the tail is! Their fish is big, and I put it in the same class as the fish below.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/ChrisKK/Summer2008070.jpg

jeprli
12-19-2009, 09:05 AM
I apologize, it's 9.8LBS not 9.8kg, but the fact is it was 84cm long. Now the one in the video seems to be an inch longer but twice the weight??? Cmon, it is big but not doubled.

Chris K that is an insane wally! :eek::eek:

sheephunter
12-19-2009, 09:56 AM
I apologize, it's 9.8LBS not 9.8kg, but the fact is it was 84cm long. Now the one in the video seems to be an inch longer but twice the weight??? Cmon, it is big but not doubled.

Chris K that is an insane wally! :eek::eek:

Actually.....if you use the conversion chart for length to weight for walleye, a 33" walleye comes in about 15.5 pounds. As fat as that fish was, it's believeable that it weighed more if the length is accurate. Your 84cm fish must have looked like a snake!

sheephunter
12-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Sorry Sheephunter
Maybe I was being a dick but I didn't mean to attack your thread. you really are one of the people on here that has a ton of positive posts and it has not been unnoticed by me. Sorry if it seemed like I was picking the video apart.:o

Oh no biggie....there could be some artistic licence. I know everyone involved with the fish and the video and they are all well acquainted with huge walleye. I doubt they are BSing but you never know with anglers....:D

maximus
12-19-2009, 04:33 PM
It is the cats I like out in Lockport. Used to live in Winni and used to catch the big cats right at the gates. Have a 30 lbs pic framed in the living room. If you have a chance when in winni or passing through go fish Lockport for cats under the locks. You will NOT be disappointed!

jeprli
12-19-2009, 06:55 PM
It wasn't skinny, looked like a normal November walleye, not fat nor skinny, just normal...

BTW great articles in AO, I'm not a hunter but I like reading them.

fish-man
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM

I did look a bit still, but tired-out walleye don't seem to thrash around a lot even in summer time, let alone extreme cold.

Paul C
12-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Do I think the fish has a 25 inch girth? Not in my opinion.
Is it 33 inches long? Might be, but hard to tell from a video. I do think the length is pretty close to what they claim.

It is a big fish, but I really think the weight has been padded a bit. A real 16 pounder... yes I think it might be more possible than it being an 18 pounder, but I really doubt it being a legitimate fish much over 16 in any way from what I can tell. I have held a 17 and 16 pound walleye, and this just does not measure up to me to be much over 16. A friends 16 pounder from Nipawin had a 22 inch girth, and his fish was similar in fatness like this one my opinion. Looking at the belly of the fish and how it was held while going to another tent, it just doesn't look like it's 25 inches around to me. When I had my hands on a 17 pounder, the eproportions of it's body and eyes were huge compared to the 16 pounder. The eyes on the 17 pound fish stuck out a half inch on either side of it's head, and it's scales were slightly smaller than dimes. Fish that big look like mutants! I feel very fortunate to have touched a walleye that's bigger than our provincial record. Now I just need to catch one that big myself!

The video looks very real, and the fish behaves just as I would expect her to.

In the picture below this is a bonafide 16 pound walleye caught by a friend of mine last fall out of Tobin Lake. It was 32 inches long and had a 22 inch girth. Look at how thick the tail is! Their fish is big, and I put it in the same class as the fish below.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/ChrisKK/Summer2008070.jpg I look at the posture of the fish you are holding. This photo is the real deal. Compare this photo with the other and you will
conclude which is real. Nice poisson !

pecker
12-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I look at the posture of the fish you are holding. This photo is the real deal. Compare this photo with the other and you will
conclude which is real. Nice poisson !

it's got sag to it.:lol::lol::wave:

gatorhunter
12-25-2009, 12:09 PM
definitely a real fish, but the action is fake and rehearsed. That walleye is frozen stiff, all fins out and stiff, gills not moving or gasping for O2 like it would if it were a fresh live catch. I lived and fished in the Dryden area for several years and pulled many an 'eye out in -40 weather- not one looked the way that one did coming out of the hole.

Pretty cheesy and borderline pathetic if you ask me...all for the sake of promoting some guiding company. I wouldn't hire these guys.

THAT VIDEO WAS SHOT REAL TIME! No staging! How do I know that? Because the outfitter and video crew are friends of mine. Plus, the guy who pulled the fish out of the water was scrambling to take off his blockheater and put on his Reel Bait hat. If it had been staged, he would have had his hat on!

Stu McKay of COTR is the most conscientious angler that I know. Nobody fights harder for the recognition of the fish and waters of the Red River and Lake Winnipeg.

If you don't want to hire him then you are are losing out on a wealth of Red River knowledge and experience. Plus, he and his guides treat the clients with complete respect. Your loss Bud!

pickrel pat
12-25-2009, 12:35 PM
THAT VIDEO WAS SHOT REAL TIME! No staging! How do I know that? Because the outfitter and video crew are friends of mine. Plus, the guy who pulled the fish out of the water was scrambling to take off his blockheater and put on his Reel Bait hat. If it had been staged, he would have had his hat on!

Stu McKay of COTR is the most conscientious angler that I know. Nobody fights harder for the recognition of the fish and waters of the Red River and Lake Winnipeg.

If you don't want to hire him then you are are losing out on a wealth of Red River knowledge and experience. Plus, he and his guides treat the clients with complete respect. Your loss Bud!i told you all. why wont you listen? :D:lol::wave: i bet the pple who fought so hard for it to be fake will still go with that . just the way some peaple roll.

Team Corn
12-26-2009, 01:44 PM
...and this isn't fake either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Vfz_Mf9gs

I was shaking in my mukluks while filming this walleye come through the ice and take out my grandpa. Try using seal meat - it works great.

pecker
12-26-2009, 03:30 PM
...and this isn't fake either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Vfz_Mf9gs

I was shaking in my mukluks while filming this walleye come through the ice and take out my grandpa. Try using seal meat - it works great.

that whale didn't have time to stiffin up in the cold . :lol::wave:

Drano
12-28-2009, 01:01 PM
i thiiiink you may be right.;)

x2:wave::wave:

Wolverine Boy
12-28-2009, 04:30 PM
I have to admit I was surprised at how 'lifeless' this thing was coming out of the ice but I take the members on this board who vouched for this at their word.

You've also got to think that any guide who fakes something like this would be risking their business and reputation. That would be a ridiculous gamble for anyone to take, especially an already successful guide.

It's one hell of a fish though and I would be happy to pull one out a 1/3 that size.

Paul C
12-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I have to admit I was surprised at how 'lifeless' this thing was coming out of the ice but I take the members on this board who vouched for this at their word.

You've also got to think that any guide who fakes something like this would be risking their business and reputation. That would be a ridiculous gamble for anyone to take, especially an already successful guide.

It's one hell of a fish though and I would be happy to pull one out a 1/3 that size.Well put:wave:

240gord
12-28-2009, 05:02 PM

There is in Cold Lake.