PDA

View Full Version : Alpine ice fishing

sagegundog
12-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Heading out tomorrow to tackle my first alpine ice fishing adventure of the year. Climbing into Window Mountain lake just north of the Crowsnest Pass. Nice to put on some miles in the mountains after recovering from hunting season. Always turns out to be fantastic fishing and you can't beat the taste of those alpine rainbows in the winter!!! You can read about last years adventure in the 2009 fall/winter ACA Conservation magazine p. 25. http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/tasks/sites/default/assets/File/pdfs/04Publications/04ConservationMagazine/Conservation-Magazine-Fall-Winter-09-2.pdf

Geezle
12-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Wicked, I just happen to have that magazine sitting on my desk in front of me :)

Have fun out there, and be safe! :wave:

McLeod
12-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Heading out tomorrow to tackle my first alpine ice fishing adventure of the year. Climbing into Window Mountain lake just north of the Crowsnest Pass. Nice to put on some miles in the mountains after recovering from hunting season. Always turns out to be fantastic fishing and you can't beat the taste of those alpine rainbows in the winter!!! You can read about last years adventure in the 2009 fall/winter ACA Conservation magazine p. 25. http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/tasks/sites/default/assets/File/pdfs/04Publications/04ConservationMagazine/Conservation-Magazine-Fall-Winter-09-2.pdf

Awesome story..not a fan of the ACA and again such magazines are wonderful
but is that an expense anglers and hunters should be paying for. I would prefer the funds spent directly on angling opportunites..
Anyway that is another issue and I don't want hijack the thread. Again nice story..

Lethbridge_1
12-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Sage,

How'd you make out? I am jealous you went up again without me, funny how that always happens!!!?!? Have a good Christmas, we'll head out in the new years once we are both home again.

sagegundog
12-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Tried to go up today but the road was only plowed to within about 10km from the trail that goes to the lake. We figured we wouldn't have even made it to the lake by sunset. We hit the Coleman fish & Game pond instead and wailed on them!!! Brought 2 home that were ~18". Flesh was as red as I've ever seen them. Just finished eating 1 fillet for supper. Delicious.