PDA

View Full Version : Red neck depth finder

Dukewild
12-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Just a ramdon idea that came into mind and put together for my day at Spray tomorow. For those of you like myself and dont have a sonar or flasher I think this idea will do many a favor

-Just take a 13" piece of wooden dowl

-Notch out both ends 1/2" in a V shape towards the middle, making the total lengh between the deepest part of the notches 12"

- I used tip-up line but any simliar line will do. take the end and tape it to the center of your dowl lengh wise and start wrapping end to end. If measured correctly eack wrap end to end should a foot. I ended up putting on 130' for use in deeper water.

- after putting on all your line at the end attach any kind of weight

So after all is said and done just drop the weight down your hole in the ice to find bottom. After just start wrapping up and counting the feet as you go.

ghostguy6
12-17-2009, 09:17 PM
We made those when I first started ice fishing, used to fish off them too.

Dukewild
12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
lol ya I figured people have been doing it for years. Just thought I would post for those who are fairly new to the sport like myself. Now the fishing from it part might come in handy down the road since I used up all my good tip-up line and if I ever need any now I know where to get it!

Drano
12-18-2009, 03:50 AM
whatever works...

thanks for the idea...:wave::wave:

CeeZee
12-18-2009, 06:38 AM
yup thanks for the idea, keep everybody thinking, nice to save some coin whereever a guy can.

oagie
12-18-2009, 08:09 AM
My wingspan is 6.5 feet. I just do the math...