PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Ice Fishn Holes Thawed

snot rocket
12-18-2009, 03:41 PM
I was told that the best way to keep your holes from freezing over was to spray a liberal amount of douche fluid into each hole.

Has anybody tried this trick???????????????????????????

splitflame
12-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Ice scoop works fine for me.

Buck Krazy
12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
anti-freeze:lol:

The Fisherman Guy
12-18-2009, 04:01 PM
The question is, even if douche fluid keeps the holes open, would you want to eat or release fish that have been covered in that fluid?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-18-2009, 04:03 PM
The question is, even if douche fluid keeps the holes open, would you want to eat or release fish that have been covered in that fluid?

As long as its Strawberry flavoured . :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Youd have to Larry the Cable guys joke on that . And youd understand .

As for keeping your hole thawed . Use a spoon , Invest in a tent or shanty and get a heater .

AvayaAce
12-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Douche fluid might only attract Suckers:lol::lol:

snot rocket
12-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Should have knownen there was somehting "fishy" about this trick.

Same guy told me that Saskatchewan has a provincial statute that prohibts any women from swimming nude in ANY lake, river, creek or other navigatble water body.

nicemustang
12-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Buy a tent, get a heater. problem solved.

CeeZee
12-18-2009, 05:03 PM
wow i sure hope there isnt too many using this method, im the same, just prefer to put more wood on the fire or even resort to the scoop.

pikester
12-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Tiger torch:evilgrin: Actually I know some guys use a 6" piece of straw, slide it over your line, drop lure & line down, pour wood alcohol or oil of some sort into straw, enjoy. I can't vouche for this method since I am too lazy to do it but it must work. Not sure what if any effect the wood alcohol has on fishing line though.

Badback
12-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Should have knownen there was somehting "fishy" about this trick.

Same guy told me that Saskatchewan has a provincial statute that prohibts any women from swimming nude in ANY lake, river, creek or other navigatble water body.

Thats true...it makes all fish taste like they are female then the spawning season is ruined

DarkAisling
12-18-2009, 05:43 PM
I read this thread on my Blackberry while I was standing in line at the Stupidstore, so I went to actually check the list of ingredients on a package of "Summers Eve."

As it turns out, there is sodium chloride (common salt) in the ingredient list. Sodium chloride lowers the freezing point of water. So, "douche fluid" might very well help keep your holes ice free (though I'm not sure why I would want sodium chloride in mine :lol:).

redneck posse
12-18-2009, 05:47 PM
some one at nosale said a couple drops of sunlight dish soap. ??

snot rocket
12-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Thats true...it makes all fish taste like they are female then the spawning season is ruined

Apparently female nude swimming was a frequent occurence................ and apparently those Saskatachewanittes.........................well, they could not get that smell outta the fish!

Geezle
12-18-2009, 06:46 PM
What about those 'puck' de-icers?

WayneChristie
12-18-2009, 06:53 PM
only time Ive had a problem with freezing in the tent it was 25 below. if salted water works, drink beer and pee in the hole :evilgrin: just make sure you give all the fish away

fishunter77
12-18-2009, 10:48 PM
only time Ive had a problem with freezing in the tent it was 25 below. if salted water works, drink beer and pee in the hole :evilgrin: just make sure you give all the fish away

Good one!! I like it.:lol:

WayneChristie
12-19-2009, 07:07 AM
I read this thread on my Blackberry while I was standing in line at the Stupidstore, so I went to actually check the list of ingredients on a package of "Summers Eve."

As it turns out, there is sodium chloride (common salt) in the ingredient list. Sodium chloride lowers the freezing point of water. So, "douche fluid" might very well help keep your holes ice free (though I'm not sure why I would want sodium chloride in mine :lol:).

had a comment about your holes freezing up, but this is a family forum so I choked it back :lol: (you must have met my ex) :evilgrin:

Drano
12-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Buy a tent, get a heater. problem solved.

totally agree with this...

pecker
12-19-2009, 03:35 PM
totally agree with this...

x2

Cal
12-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Two tricks I've used, for tipups with the spool underwater I cut a circle of carpet or cardboard the same diameter as the bottom of my ice fishing bucket (for easy storage) and cut a slit from edge to center. You put it over your hole and stick the tipup through the slit. For all other aplications spray paint a cork black and let it float around in your hole, both these simple tricks work suprisingly well.

Browning Sharpsh00ter
12-19-2009, 04:44 PM
anti-freeze:lol:

I hope for your sake this is a joke, and if its not and i ever catch u pouring anti freeze down a icehole i can reassure you the next person you will be talking to is the fish cops.... while your choking on a mouth full..This is not a wise option and should not be joked about. WHATS WRONG WITH CLEANING YOUR HOLE WITH A ICE SCOOP thats what there meant for...

Marlin07
12-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I hope for your sake this is a joke, and if its not and i ever catch u pouring anti freeze down a icehole i can reassure you the next person you will be talking to is the fish cops.... while your choking on a mouth full..This is not a wise option and should not be joked about. WHATS WRONG WITH CLEANING YOUR HOLE WITH A ICE SCOOP thats what there meant for...

Relax! I'm sure he was joking.....

mooseknuckle
12-19-2009, 05:03 PM

Hmmmm the big laughing smiley face didn,t give that away??:lol::lol: Save the antifreeze for the neighbor's cats apparently they love it, they never come back for more but they really love it:lol:

Private Ear
12-19-2009, 05:08 PM

Lots of things can be termed "Anti-Freeze". I doubt if BK meant ethelyne glycol. "choking on a mouth full"....come on now!

Buck Krazy
12-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Yeah it was a joke, I guess I should have realized that there are extremely DUMB people out there that may not think so! LOL!! So in this case the only one choking on a mouthfull will be your woman:):wave:

Cal
12-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah it was a joke, I guess I should have realized that there are extremely DUMB people out there that may not think so! LOL!! So in this case the only one choking on a mouthfull will be your woman:):wave:

I've seen people use antifreeze to keep their fishing holes open, infact a few years back Field & Stream suggested doing this in their tips and tricks section so I can understand why some people took that suggestion seriously.

Browning Sharpsh00ter
12-19-2009, 08:06 PM

Let me tell ya, my buddies dog drank out of an open whole. An hour later he was rushing him to the vet. Long story short my buddies dog dam near had to be put down. U know what the vet chalked it up to be with all the symptoms the dog had. ANTIFREEZE poisoning. So ya there are EXTREMELY DUMB LAZY people out there and i personally dont find your comment funny so i wouldnt consider it to be a joke....PS what does my woman have anything to do with this, i am i suppose to be offended? Your a little man:lol::lol: with a bad sense of humor...:D:D:D:D

Buck Krazy
12-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Your a little man:lol::lol: with a bad sense of humor...:D:D:D:D
:lol::lol::lol: now thats funny stuff! Quite true, ask my friends!:wave:

But seriously, sorry to hear about your buddies dog....

Walleyes
12-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately buying a tent and having a heater does not eliminate ice forming on the holes. I even get ice forming on the holes when in my shanty. Now when I'm in my shanty I keep a kettle of water on the air tight and pour a little in the holes now and then to keep them free. As far as open air fishing go's,,, yah just the old ice scoop method its realy quite simple most everyone can handle it...

mooseknuckle
12-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Unfortunately buying a tent and having a heater does not eliminate ice forming on the holes. I even get ice forming on the holes when in my shanty. Now when I'm in my shanty I keep a kettle of water on the air tight and pour a little in the holes now and then to keep them free. As far as open air fishing go's,,, yah just the old ice scoop method its realy quite simple most everyone can handle it...

X2 on the scoop and really what are they like a buck? However I can't say I'm 100% on your first statement last weekend -38 tent and heater = zero ice up on the holes? Whatever really buy a scoop:wave:

Geezle
12-21-2009, 06:43 AM
X2 on the scoop and really what are they like a buck? However I can't say I'm 100% on your first statement last weekend -38 tent and heater = zero ice up on the holes? Whatever really buy a scoop:wave:

I'm sure the holes would have iced up in there if we were using a smaller heater, like one of the Buddy's or something. The heater we had that day was even melting the surface of the ice though, so except for the hole closest to the door, ice wasn't really an issue.

Really though, just get a scoop, they're pretty much a standard piece of ice fishing gear, and they're cheap :) You always need to clean the hole after you first drill it anyway, and doing it with your hands can get a little chilly!