PDA

View Full Version : PCR Saturday

WayneChristie
12-18-2009, 07:41 PM
weather network says plus 2 and 10 k winds, should be a gooder. Hope to meet a lot of fellow forumers Saturday. Maybe even catch a fish :D wonder how many walleye I will recognize personally :lol:

flygirrl
12-18-2009, 08:15 PM
weather network says plus 2 and 10 k winds, should be a gooder. Hope to meet a lot of fellow forumers Saturday. Maybe even catch a fish :D wonder how many walleye I will recognize personally :lol:
:evilgrin:Better yet, how many will recognize you:tongue2:

fish on
12-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Looking forward to meeting some new anglers trade some secrets but not all. Hope to be out there by noon look for the 6 man red eskimo and two bearded ironworkers.

WayneChristie
12-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Looking forward to meeting some new anglers trade some secrets but not all. Hope to be out there by noon look for the 6 man red eskimo and two bearded ironworkers.

what, one beard wasnt enough? :lol: see you on the ice!

WayneChristie
12-18-2009, 08:29 PM
:evilgrin:Better yet, how many will recognize you:tongue2:
I hope not all of them, I want to catch a few! Have to make a trip up your way one day this winter, so I can listen to you swear when the ice cracks :evilgrin:

npauls
12-18-2009, 09:42 PM
I will be out there all day in a green tarped home made hut with plywood ends. I will be the young guy wearing a bright green toque and a green and black arctic armour suit. If anyone wants my burbs just stop by and ask as I don't eat fish but love to catch a ton of them.

Nate

WayneChristie
12-19-2009, 07:22 AM
just as I figured, awake way too early :D. soon as I figure its safe to wake up the woman I will drag her out of bed and be on our way. Going to cut across at Travers, hopefully the road is in better shape than it was a couple of weekends ago from all the construction traffic. See everyone on the ice, drive safe and dont forget your bait in the freezer at home :o not that Ive ever done anything like that :D

fish on
12-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Just like christmas up early putting on new line on the rods doing my checklist checking it twice

WayneChristie
12-19-2009, 08:20 AM
can barely close my car doors I have so much stuff in there, hitting the road pretty quick here.

Drano
12-19-2009, 08:53 AM
hope everyone has a great day out there...

post some pics if you can..

thanks...:wave::wave:

slingshotz
12-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Only took a couple scenery shots before battery died in camera. It's was like a little shanty town today :lol:

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/limes8888/Pine%20Coulee/P1000333-small.jpg

Neat clear ice with bubbles, doesn't show up well in a 2D photo....

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/limes8888/Pine%20Coulee/P1000335-small.jpg

Nice meeting a few more forum members out there, we really do need to setup some kind of flag system to spot each other. But it was still a nice day to be outside even if the fish weren't cooperating too much.

buckfever
12-19-2009, 09:24 PM
wonderful pic of me lol (all black tent bending down fixing my camera, again)

baitfisher83
12-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Man I wish I coulda made this trip, anyone heading out Sunday???lol

npauls
12-19-2009, 10:52 PM
I decided to head out of there by 1 since the fish weren't biting all that well around noon. I was there by 7:20 and the fishing was amazing for the first 4 hours. Nice to meet you wayne. How many did you end up hauling in for the day. I hit up keenex on my way home and hammered a bunch of rainbows for a few hours. Not quite sure where I will head in the morning but definetly need to head out.

Nate

Duck Hunt
12-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah! me and duckhunt are heading to clear sunday morning and pcr in the pm, anyone out there, look for a black gm with white topper and a green tarp shanty with plywood base. Stop by and say hi.

Cheers,
Alex

WayneChristie
12-19-2009, 11:13 PM
I ended up fishing out a bit too far, a little deep for the burb fest. I did manage to land 5 walleye, and FINALLY a couple burbs, first for both species thru the ice :D Funny thing is my wife was sitting beside me and caught lots of burbs while I was getting the walleye, guess she knew the secret. Brought home 7 burbs for supper tomorrow, she also managed 3 or 4 walleyes too. The drive home was interesting, took an extra hour with the pea soup fog, sometimes barely able to crawl along at 20 K or less. I know we drove by Champion, but we didnt see it :D all in all, even with the slow fishing it was a great day, got to meet a bunch more forum members too.
My first walleye thru the ice
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF8139.jpg
My first ice burb
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF8143.jpg
Wife's first ice walleye
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF8140.jpg
Wife's first ever burb
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF8141.jpg

WayneChristie
12-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Neat clear ice with bubbles, doesn't show up well in a 2D photo....

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/limes8888/Pine%20Coulee/P1000335-small.jpg

Nice meeting a few more forum members out there, we really do need to setup some kind of flag system to spot each other. But it was still a nice day to be outside even if the fish weren't cooperating too much.[/QUOTE]

great pic Will.

Jack&7
12-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Had a great day out at PCR...well at least I did! My Dad got skunked for some reason, even after I put the same hook on his line 10 feet away from me. We started out a little deeper but decided to move in closer to shore. In the one pic, you can see how close we were and even then it was 20 feet of water. The ice was plentiful and the hand auger did the job with no worries.

We got out there for 3 pm to catch the early evening feed and it seemed pretty slow. But at 5 pm, the gongshow began...3 walleye and 6 burbs within 45 minutes.

I was sure I was surrounded by other AO members, but I didn't learn that until after we were done for the day. I chose to get down to business first and socialize later. But as others have said, WE NEED AN AO FLAG! I met Slingshotz, said hello to Wayne, had Buckfever and Fisherwoman right beside me (but didn't know it).

Anyway, here are my pics:

We were very close to shore

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/Jack-and-7/Ice%20fishing%202009-2010/2009fish013.jpg

My Dad in his Pak Shak for the first time...a very neat, portable, comfortable unit!

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/Jack-and-7/Ice%20fishing%202009-2010/2009fish014.jpg

My flipover..which I really like.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/Jack-and-7/Ice%20fishing%202009-2010/2009fish015.jpg

Fisherwoman and another AO member (but I didn't catch his name) were in this group. They seemed to be having a blast and catching well.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/Jack-and-7/Ice%20fishing%202009-2010/2009fish012.jpg

A few smaller burbs..

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/Jack-and-7/Ice%20fishing%202009-2010/2009fish018.jpg

And some of the walleye clones...either I have really big hands or these fish are very small!

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/Jack-and-7/Ice%20fishing%202009-2010/2009fish019.jpg

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/Jack-and-7/Ice%20fishing%202009-2010/2009fish020.jpg

tchow
12-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Good to get out and meet some members. I was in the Clam Nanook and set up in 17.5 FOW. Set up early and out the Camera down. Noticed that I was maybe 3-4 ft from the drop. No burbs and just seen Eyes but not many. Managed only 1 Eye, buds caught 5 Eyes between them. It was a slow bite and others catching fish on deadsticks.
Majority of fish being caught in 25+ FOW Had to pack up aound 5ish as bud had to work later that evening. Did get to try out the new Nanook and mods I did to it. Put up some Reflectix on the top of the tent for Insulation. Wanted to test to see if there was any condensation(sweat) that would drip off top of tent. Glad to say that there was none. Ran the Buddy Heater all day long and it was toasty. Sweat off the sides but nothing dripped on me:cool::cool:
Going to test it out in Coldy weather tommorrow at Mac.
Good to see you after all these years Wayne:wave::wave: Maybe this X-mas, you'll get some Electronics under the Tree!
Merry X-mas to all members and have a safe Hardwater season.:cool:

hosmerunited
12-20-2009, 11:34 AM
sure was a nice day out there. nice to actually meet some of the people out.
thanks to fisherwoman for cooking up some of the burbot. tasted great.
jack&7 thank you for post your pics i was able to show the wife what the new tent looked like set up(the nice big one).
mike

fish on
12-20-2009, 01:30 PM
It was a great day. Slow until about 4 only a few wall'ers seen lots on the cam and a few pike. Then when 4 hit it was madness both lines going steady took home 8 nice ones . Football and burbs. Thinking of trying cralling valley this week sometime does anyone have any reports on the ice and or the activity

Bassett
12-20-2009, 01:41 PM
just wonderin, how much ice is out there??? where abouts is PCR

jts1
12-20-2009, 01:53 PM
pm sent

Fishfinder
12-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Gr8 pics everybody! Totally jealous. Hopefully, I was good enuff this year, Santa will bring me everything I asked for and I can join u all out there this winter. Anyone know roughly how far PCR would b from Med. Hat?? Never been. Love the extended pinky finger on ur wife's hand in ur first pic Wayne...very ladylike:) Kinda surprised y'all haven't figured out an agreeable way of identifying each other out there on the ice yet? Thanx for sharing all!:)

npauls
12-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey fishfinder if you want to hit up pcr sometime on a weekend let me know. I live in lethbridge and could travel with you out there or take my truck out there. It is about an hour to an hour and 15 from lethbridge so im thinking about 2.5 to 3 from med. hat.

Nate

madatter
12-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Gr8 pics everybody! Totally jealous. Hopefully, I was good enuff this year, Santa will bring me everything I asked for and I can join u all out there this winter. Anyone know roughly how far PCR would b from Med. Hat?? Never been. Love the extended pinky finger on ur wife's hand in ur first pic Wayne...very ladylike:) Kinda surprised y'all haven't figured out an agreeable way of identifying each other out there on the ice yet? Thanx for sharing all!:)

Google map says its 280kms via the #3 then #2.
Cross country from the Hat may be shorter but no matter what you are looking at 3+ hours.

Jack-man
12-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Yes, I also had a good time. Had a few drinks and enjoyed the nice lings. I did not even mind the chicken fry song.

Fishfinder
12-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey fishfinder if you want to hit up pcr sometime on a weekend let me know. I live in lethbridge and could travel with you out there or take my truck out there. It is about an hour to an hour and 15 from lethbridge so im thinking about 2.5 to 3 from med. hat.

Nate

Hmm sounds like a trip. Will let u know via PM when a weekend opens up... 3 hrs is not outta range. Would like to meet some members n catch some fish!! And hopefully by that time there will b a way to identify one another? Simple recognizable logo, all sides of shack... makes sense to me? Jus tossin the idea out there..? Have fun all:)

Fishfinder
12-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Google map says its 280kms via the #3 then #2.
Cross country from the Hat may be shorter but no matter what you are looking at 3+ hours.

2- hrs u mean:lol::lol: Jus kiddin. The #3 btween the Hat n Bridge is as scary as the #2 btween Cowtown n Edmonton these days. Would likely b a 3 hr trip in winter, thanx for googlin it! Perhaps a trip down the road......:)

WayneChristie
12-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Fishfinder let me know if you want to go on a weekend, could always come thru here and take one vehicle from here. Im off the week after Christmas, so if you have a weekday off let me know maybe we can head down that way. Did our burbs for dinner tonight, damn they were good!!!!!! Have to find some bigger ones closer to home too. Yes we do need a flag or something for recognition, I marked it on my pop up but its hard to see in the dark :D

Fishfinder
12-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Fishfinder let me know if you want to go on a weekend, could always come thru here and take one vehicle from here. Im off the week after Christmas, so if you have a weekday off let me know maybe we can head down that way. Did our burbs for dinner tonight, damn they were good!!!!!! Have to find some bigger ones closer to home too. Yes we do need a flag or something for recognition, I marked it on my pop up but its hard to see in the dark :D

Should have the 28th,29th off. Weather pending...the ol Vanbourghini may b due for a trip. My job calls for me to b there on weekends, so weekdays r best. If all else fails.... a perchfest at Enchant perhaps....:D

WayneChristie
12-20-2009, 10:21 PM
sounds good. my pike hole is close too, saw one out of there today looked like 15 pounds or even bigger. PCR is 188 KM from my place if you go thru Enchant and across Travers way, in the car in good weather doesnt take too long :evilgrin: and barely any traffic that way.

Fishfinder
12-20-2009, 10:42 PM
sounds good. my pike hole is close too, saw one out of there today looked like 15 pounds or even bigger. PCR is 188 KM from my place if you go thru Enchant and across Travers way, in the car in good weather doesnt take too long :evilgrin: and barely any traffic that way.

The infamous Pike Hole. U sure this hole aint in ur mind Wayne??? U keep talking about it, yet, has anyone seen it:lol::lol::evilgrin::evilgrin:

fisherwoman
12-21-2009, 01:29 AM
sure was a nice day out there. nice to actually meet some of the people out.
thanks to fisherwoman for cooking up some of the burbot. tasted great.
jack&7 thank you for post your pics i was able to show the wife what the new tent looked like set up(the nice big one).
mike

My pleasure. Was my first time cooken em, but man are they GOOD! Sure picked up later... it was slow going for awhile. I was quite happy with our new tent, but after seeing the big one beside our 4 man, we might have to upgrade one day (once we wear this one out :)) It is called a four man... but if those men are fishing it can only hold 3.

Freddydog
12-21-2009, 01:58 AM
Hey, Im only 41 years old but i have seen this too many times. All you guys slaying the burbs from pcr are going to be the same ones bitching there are none left in 5 years. How about a little catch and release fishing going on out there. Ever wonder why chain only has 6 inch rainbows, Gull has no big pike left in it, spray lake has only 13 inch lakers left??? Think about that before you bonk your next pcr burb or pike.....sick of hearing you guys bitching down the road.......just trying to save the fishery...I have kids....

mooseknuckle
12-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Hey, Im only 41 years old but i have seen this too many times. All you guys slaying the burbs from pcr are going to be the same ones bitching there are none left in 5 years. How about a little catch and release fishing going on out there. Ever wonder why chain only has 6 inch rainbows, Gull has no big pike left in it, spray lake has only 13 inch lakers left??? Think about that before you bonk your next pcr burb or pike.....sick of hearing you guys bitching down the road.......just trying to save the fishery...I have kids....

I guess we were due for one of these:lol: I now declare you HPF "2":wave:

Fishfinder
12-21-2009, 04:13 AM

Lotsa people have kids. Congrads bud. Pretty sure u don't have to worry about PCR being overfished for burb. If it happens, send some of those evil no gooder burb fishers my way:lol::lol: to help me clean out the river. Those ugly, super tasty, n plentiful burbs r getting in the way of my sturg huntin:evilgrin::evilgrin: If all u r catching outta chain is 6 inch, n outta Spray 13, my advice....CHANGE BAIT:lol: Did somebody not have their milk b4 bed?:innocent:

huntsfurfish
12-21-2009, 05:43 AM
"Hey, Im only 41 years old but i have seen this too many times. All you guys slaying the burbs from pcr are going to be the same ones bitching there are none left in 5 years. How about a little catch and release fishing going on out there. Ever wonder why chain only has 6 inch rainbows, Gull has no big pike left in it, spray lake has only 13 inch lakers left??? Think about that before you bonk your next pcr burb or pike.....sick of hearing you guys bitching down the road.......just trying to save the fishery...I have kids...."

X2 - they will bitch about it. But nothing wrong with keeping a few to eat. Good ol saying "catch your limit but limit your catch".

huntsfurfish
12-21-2009, 05:48 AM
"Pretty sure u don't have to worry about PCR being overfished for burb."

That or something similar was said about a number of lakes in Alberta just before they crashed!

And yet people wonder why limits are reduced or made catch and release.

hosmerunited
12-21-2009, 08:59 AM
blah blah blah. i usually release most of my fish. and i have kids too. and yes i limit my catch to me not towant i need as long as it is with in the reg's. i see more of an issue with poaching on almost ever lake i have been to in southern alberta. all you have to do to see this is stay out late till about midnight and you can see groups trying to keep fish they should not or more than they should. if i someone wants to keep a few nothing wrong on it. if you want to start preaching to those who want to keep instead of releasing them how about starting your own thread instead of hijacking someone else.
if you donot like like what you read donot read it . donot like what you see on tv turn the channel. donot like what you hear on the radio turn it off.
mike

dollfin
12-21-2009, 09:19 AM
:) My hubby and I went to Wholesale sports on Friday night and bought our Christmas presents for each other. A four man tent, and new ice fishing rods, and heater(exc. sale!). Yesterday, we tried out our new gear at PCR it was a lot of fun! We fished under the bridge, we caught five burbs between us and I caught one walleye. There was just a few other tents around us. They did way better than us! But for our first time out hardwater fishing this year not bad for four hours of fishing. It was my second time ice fishing ever, and my first time catching fish thru the ice. I was shrieking like a school girl! We used smelts and pink jigs. I was reading some threads and was wondering what are flashers? What else works out there? My hubby cleaned the burbs last night and we are eating them tonight for supper. Thanks everyone!
PS Anyone know what's happening with the AOF markers/flags yet? I would love to have put one on top of the tent:)

Fishfinder
12-21-2009, 10:07 AM
blah blah blah. i usually release most of my fish. and i have kids too. and yes i limit my catch to me not towant i need as long as it is with in the reg's. i see more of an issue with poaching on almost ever lake i have been to in southern alberta. all you have to do to see this is stay out late till about midnight and you can see groups trying to keep fish they should not or more than they should. if i someone wants to keep a few nothing wrong on it. if you want to start preaching to those who want to keep instead of releasing them how about starting your own thread instead of hijacking someone else.
if you donot like like what you read donot read it . donot like what you see on tv turn the channel. donot like what you hear on the radio turn it off.
mike

Agreed. I could b wrong but I assume everyone taking burb from PCR eat them. I am also sure members who fish out there from the forum, likely keep the lake clean and fish within the regs. No laws r being broken. Am I missing something here or r some people jus bitter? Poachers should b chopped up n used for bait! anyways, back to the thread...:lol:

Freddydog
12-21-2009, 12:14 PM
DUDES, Smoke a peace pipe. All Im saying is that it is up to us to respect and manage our own resource. When a lake looks like "shanty town" perhaps that is the time to toss em back. If you are gonna wait for the government to regulate it will be too late(alberta's walleye is a good example). Legality and morality are not necessary the same thing. I have seen too many quality fisheries destroyed by our own hand. Im just tossing out a bit of food for thought guys......RELAX

Fishfinder
12-21-2009, 04:12 PM
DUDES, Smoke a peace pipe. All Im saying is that it is up to us to respect and manage our own resource. When a lake looks like "shanty town" perhaps that is the time to toss em back. If you are gonna wait for the government to regulate it will be too late(alberta's walleye is a good example). Legality and morality are not necessary the same thing. I have seen too many quality fisheries destroyed by our own hand. Im just tossing out a bit of food for thought guys......RELAX

Hey, no worries Freddy, Spose i did get a little too excited there. :o U raise great points and after thinking about it, us fisherpeople jus may have a better idea as to what is happening to the lakes (in some cases) than the government. It is a tuff touchy subject. No harm intended. Peace pipe is smokin:love::D

slingshotz
12-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I haven't seen or heard of anyone limiting out for each person on burbs (not that I'm sure it doesn't happen) but I do see posts all the time about people limiting out on trout, perch and whites without any mention. But I totally see the point of limiting the catch especially at a place that is getting hit pretty hard like PCR. I'd like to see some input from a biologist on how fast burbs reproduce and their survival rates. Maybe the current fishing pressure is too much for long term sustainability, I'm don't have enough scientific research/information to make that call, nor to be frank, 95% of us can't really say for sure either. All I can say is that I practice limiting my catch instead of catching my limit.

I'm happy with a few to take home for a few meals, I'm not a freezer stocker except for all the perch from Sundance :D.

jts1
12-21-2009, 04:41 PM
MMMMMMM Sundance perch.....Bonk Bonk

WayneChristie
12-21-2009, 05:33 PM
I will catch my limit every chance I get, or way more every chance I get, but I rarely keep and kill fish. I think people should follow the regs, and if they want to keep what the law allows, then thats their choice, maybe not a good one every time they go out, but still their choice. If they want to catch and release, thats their choice too, you cant force your beliefs and ideals on other people as long as they are within the law. The whole idea of sportfishing is just that, sport. If you are fishing to survive then theres a different problem. And the way the mercury levels are building up in PCR maybe its a good idea to eat a few burbs now before they are too toxic to eat like the walleye and pike from there. If they ever reach that level , who knows :) just go out , have fun, and report all the poachers you want.

Wulfespirit
12-21-2009, 05:49 PM

Following the regs IS using respect.

There are also many quality fisheries being destroyed due to a lack of harvest.

Present some evidence that the burbs on PCR are in trouble or crawl back into your hole.

huntsfurfish
12-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Born and raised in Alberta:)

From my observations, people (most) will keep what they can (and site it must be ok because the regs say we can). That is part of the problem. Some out there have to show just how good they are when they get home. Though I will admit, that is on a decline somewhat over the years. As I stated in a previous post nothing wrong with keeping a couple to eat. And i will say it again because it benefits everyone - catch your limit but limit your catch!

"Present some evidence that the burbs on PCR are in trouble or crawl back into your hole."

Usually by the time they/we figure out they are in trouble its to late and the damage is done.

fisherwoman
12-21-2009, 06:52 PM
I see no problem with keeping a few fish to eat. The catch is you should eat them, and not waste them. That is not problem for me as I love to eat fish. Thats not to say that i never catch and release, we all understand the reasons for C&R.

But back to the thread.... Did anyone even catch a pike at PCR on Saterday? We caught quite a few burb and some walleye too, but never even saw a pike. That really surprised me.

WayneChristie
12-21-2009, 07:02 PM
someone mentioned to me that they saw a pike on their camera, but I only heard of one caught that day. They are in there, but even in the summer they seem to be pretty incidental. Makes it even more exciting when they pop up and grab the walleye on your hook. I only caught one in a whole (LONG) day off the dock, and I had to swear that one out from under the dock to hook it.:evilgrin:

Helixed
12-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Freddydog is right we need to be careful not to overdo it,I see his point. At the same time the number of people fishing on that lake is pretty minimal in relation to its size and the "season" Dec and Jan is the only real time that many are caught. Burbot are a very prolific fish. I'd be more concerned about keeping those rotten pike in check before they eat everything they can get there mouth around. :mad3: Do the lake a favor and keep every pike you catch out of there or untill you catch your limit,even if you trash em when you get home. :lol:

fisherwoman
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Freddydog is right we need to be careful not to overdo it,I see his point. At the same time the number of people fishing on that lake is pretty minimal in relation to its size and the "season" Dec and Jan is the only real time that many are caught. Burbot are a very prolific fish. I'd be more concerned about keeping those rotten pike in check before they eat everything they can get there mouth around. :mad3: Do the lake a favor and keep every pike you catch out of there or untill you catch your limit,even if you trash em when you get home. :lol:

I'm sure your just kidding about the "trash em when u get home" part. Pike are actually good eats (not that I recommend eating PCR pike due to the mercury) just gotta know how to cook em.

riderpride55
12-21-2009, 07:20 PM
I was fishing fairly deep on sat, (next to wayne) I saw on pike on the camera. My dad was fishing closer to shore and caught one pike under 63cm. He threw it back because he thought it had to be 63 cm,

Helixed
12-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Limit is 3 no size limit. Keep all of them. Fisherwomen I can drop mine off for you if you'd like :lol: Pike are much better tasting in the winter.

WayneChristie
12-21-2009, 07:35 PM
forgot to say thanks for drilling the extra holes for me Rider:D

hosmerunited
12-21-2009, 08:19 PM
me and the guys never caught any pike this time out. just walleye and burbot's. have in the past caught a few pike but not the numbers like walleye. in the summer time it is usually hard to get you lure down to the bottom before the walleyes take em.
will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years as they is lots of walleye's in there and they all the look the same in almost 2 size classes. this just my observations
mike

WayneChristie
12-21-2009, 08:32 PM
there were 2 stockings of walleye, thats why the 2 distinct size classes. I guess with the mercury levels we wont have to worry about being able to keep any eventually now, unless its a ploy to help prevent poaching by the government. yah right.

C@RN@GE
12-21-2009, 10:17 PM

X2, But its no use talking to them. There going to do it no matter what. Then like u said 5 years later there be bitching and complaining about it and begging for a new lake. Then someone will give them another lake through a pm. Then next week there be 3-4 posts on it telling everyone about it. Then there do the same thing over. I feel sorry for your kids there won't be much left for them.

ps there probably blame the walleye for devastating the population.

Wulfespirit
12-21-2009, 10:32 PM
X2, But its no use talking to them. There going to do it no matter what. Then like u said 5 years later there be bitching and complaining about it and begging for a new lake. Then someone will give them another lake through a pm. Then next week there be 3-4 posts on it telling everyone about it. Then there do the same thing over. I feel sorry for your kids there won't be much left for them.

ps there probably blame the walleye for devastating the population.

HPF, if you're going to post on an alternate (unbanned) account, at least use different grammar/spelling than you used previous. Makes you way too easy to pick off. Cheers!

fishingnut
12-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Does anyone ever fish on the east side of the lake? I now the access is to the west side, but I have never heard of any reports about the east side of the lake.

Jack-man
12-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I think the east side is where people go to to stash their walleye fillets for pick-up later. At least, this is what we observed on saturday in between drinks. I don't know why people were walking all the way over the otherside when it's so cold and windy. Maybe it's better over there. Will have to try it next time, and enjoy a few cold ones. I don't think everyone keeps all the lings and besides, a long time ago people would catch lings like suckers and just leave them all over the ice like suckers and leave them for the crows and whatever else. They were not even a gamefish then.

Buck Krazy
12-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Catch alot more walleyes than burbs on the east side by the little dam, I fish in 5-7 fow and can see them down the hole, way more fun.. Plus you get away from the crowds..

Jack-man
12-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes, it's nice to get away from the crowds and enjoy a few drinks. I'll bet the fishing is pretty much the same no matter where you are on that lake. It probably gets pretty cold on that side with the wind. Maybe there's big Jack's there though. I will try that this weekend. I'll try some bigger bait, and maybe some bigger drinks.

jrs
12-22-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm a little surprised how many guys on here get jumped on for questioning everyone filling their limits on this lake and others. Remember, fishing pressure has exploded on a few of these lakes just about instantly in large part because of this site and guys giving out exact spots to target certain fish (ex. burbot) when they are vulnerable. I don't think the harvest will wipe out the burbot in PCR as burbot can lay a lot of eggs but the amount of immature burbot being kept will mean less big ones in the future.

Most guys would notice other lakes have had the burbot limit reduced to 3 already due to heavy pressure. I think a guy would be a fool to not at least consider the 50 or so groups out there every weekend keeping limits of burbot and almost every pike they catch as possibly changing the fish community/ age structure in a lake. I know PCR is only being managed for walleye but still, jumping on guys for simply questioning the vast numbers of burbot being pulled out of there?

Wulfespirit
12-22-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm a little surprised how many guys on here get jumped on for questioning everyone filling their limits on this lake and others. Remember, fishing pressure has exploded on a few of these lakes just about instantly in large part because of this site and guys giving out exact spots to target certain fish (ex. burbot) when they are vulnerable. I don't think the harvest will wipe out the burbot in PCR as burbot can lay a lot of eggs but the amount of immature burbot being kept will mean less big ones in the future.

Most guys would notice other lakes have had the burbot limit reduced to 3 already due to heavy pressure. I think a guy would be a fool to not at least consider the 50 or so groups out there every weekend keeping limits of burbot and almost every pike they catch as possibly changing the fish community/ age structure in a lake. I know PCR is only being managed for walleye but still, jumping on guys for simply questioning the vast numbers of burbot being pulled out of there?

What about jumping on guys who kept some fish? It happens on this board all the time and it gets a bit annoying. When someone wants to share their successes and that success is legal, either congratulate them or save the soapboxing for your own threads.

Obviously too much pressure isn't a good thing but neither you, I, or the other guy have any data to indicate that it IS too much pressure. There are plenty of lakes that have a ton of fish harvested each year that continue to maintain steady populations. Other lakes don't fare as well. Is PCR in trouble? You don't know. Neither do I. Start a thread about it where people will toss anecdotal evidence back and forth for 30 posts and end up nowhere if you want to raise the issue.

There are far too many sticks in the mud on this site.

huntsfurfish
12-22-2009, 06:56 PM
"I'm a little surprised how many guys on here get jumped on for questioning everyone filling their limits on this lake and others. Remember, fishing pressure has exploded on a few of these lakes just about instantly in large part because of this site and guys giving out exact spots to target certain fish (ex. burbot) when they are vulnerable. I don't think the harvest will wipe out the burbot in PCR as burbot can lay a lot of eggs but the amount of immature burbot being kept will mean less big ones in the future.

Most guys would notice other lakes have had the burbot limit reduced to 3 already due to heavy pressure. I think a guy would be a fool to not at least consider the 50 or so groups out there every weekend keeping limits of burbot and almost every pike they catch as possibly changing the fish community/ age structure in a lake. I know PCR is only being managed for walleye but still, jumping on guys for simply questioning the vast numbers of burbot being pulled out of there?"

Good post!

And like I said earlier "From my observations, people (most) will keep what they can (and site it must be ok because the regs say we can). That is part of the problem."

Im over 50 and that is as true 40+ years ago as it is today.
Just doomed to repeat!

npauls
12-22-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't find it true that most people keep their limit. I fish with quite a few different guys and we rarely keep any fish. Usually the reason we keep fish is if they are injured or fatigued to the point that they probably wont live anyways. I know alot of fisherman and even the ones I don't fish with tell me they rarely keep fish also. I do think there is some lakes around alberta that are being hurt by over fishing but have also seen lakes that are being hurt by no keep limits like pcr. There is far to many walleye in that lake with not enough food which I am sure is causing the growth rate to slow right down. There is so many things to argue about in the alberta fishing regs that it would take years to finally come to a conclusion. I figure if you are following the rules, regs, and laws then there is no reason for someone else to cut you down for bring proud of your catch or sharing information about where you caught fish to help someone else out to have a good day on the water. What happened to the days of fishermen all getting along and being kind and helpful people?

jrs
12-22-2009, 07:59 PM
I will catch my limit every chance I get, or way more every chance I get, but I rarely keep and kill fish. I think people should follow the regs, and if they want to keep what the law allows, then thats their choice, maybe not a good one every time they go out, but still their choice. If they want to catch and release, thats their choice too, you cant force your beliefs and ideals on other people as long as they are within the law. The whole idea of sportfishing is just that, sport. If you are fishing to survive then theres a different problem. And the way the mercury levels are building up in PCR maybe its a good idea to eat a few burbs now before they are too toxic to eat like the walleye and pike from there. If they ever reach that level , who knows :) just go out , have fun, and report all the poachers you want.

Just speaking about mercury,
http://www.health.alberta.ca/documents/Mercury-Fish-S-Alberta-Res-2009.pdf
The water in that reservoir comes from Willow Creek, some fish would also come from upper Willow Creek. Just a bit of info a few guys may appreciate on here.

pecker
12-22-2009, 08:12 PM
i've been hardwater fishing a pike lake now for a few years. the fishing pressure is minimal - 63 cm. size limit- 1 of 3 will be a keeper. the rest will be 55-60cm and lots of them . heard of the odd 20#er coming out of there. i believe they're eating their own to sustain the fishery. lost a few stick tip-ups in there- so i'm waiting for jaws to come along . just an example of light fishing pressure. it could use a bit more fishing- but opening it up would probably ruin it in acouple years. i know the forum is for sharing- but to what extreme. there are many honey holes around - go out and find them.:):wave:

hosmerunited
12-22-2009, 08:32 PM
was wondering if there was an actual report about the mercury content in pcr. now i can tell my friends it is true not a so call report to chase guys from eating the fish lol.
i vented earlier as im tired of seeing guys complain because people are keeping the fish and should be practicing catch an release.
thing is i'm not a fish biologist and neither are most people on here. so most of us cannot say for sure if pcr can withstand the pressure it gets. however we also cannot say that everyone out there is keeping or releasing fish either. this is where if we were raise with any sense morals we would do what is right for the fish to be there for our kids and that would be to limit our catch. however it is up to the individual person to make this decision themselves.
with that said anyone go out today to pcr and if so how was the fishing
mike

DarkAisling
12-22-2009, 08:44 PM
And like I said earlier "From my observations, people (most) will keep what they can (and site it must be ok because the regs say we can). That is part of the problem."

From my observations, most people don't keep much at all (if anything): even if legally entitled to do so.

But, truth be told, I loathe generalizations.

WayneChristie
12-23-2009, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=huntsfurfish;463093]"

well, from a "legal" point of view, if I ate every fish I caught the day I caught it, I could have kept, legally of course, 3650 burbot this year. I ate 2, guess that means I should have let them go too? but then as everyone who has met me probably knows, Im not most people :evilgrin:

Freddydog
12-23-2009, 01:25 PM
OK, This is my last 2 cents here. I have fished pcr for 4 years now on a regular basis. I have seen a many many fold increase in the usage(winter only...in summer i haunt other waters). I have noticed the burb size is larger now yet I also noticed that I catch fewer burbs and much fewer small burbs. Call this anecdotal evidence or whatever you want BUT..it is the same pattern observed on several other crashed fisheries. I know in this forum we are mostly preaching to the converted but I think we are concerned about the future of this fishery. We dont need scientific evidence to act in a moral and ethical way(Im pretty sure the earth is flat yet have never read read a peer reviewed journal article stating such).

The Bow river gets hammered with fisherman....but most are cnr hence a stable trophy quality fishery has survived for decades now.

It at one point was legal to shoot wolves on site in Yellowstone..ethical?? Moral??? I dont think so. After the first 1000 were killed Im sure the population was in no threat....the end result ZERO wolves left in yellowstone.

So you can try and slag me for anecdotal evidence but im just trying to save the fishery for me, you, and everybody.

Sorry I think I digressed.

On a side note....thanks for the idiot at pcr who filleted(more like butchered up) and left a pile of burbs on the ice....just to let you know that you missed 80% of the meat....my 8 year old daughter was disgusted with you.

WayneChristie
12-23-2009, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=Freddydog;463587] I have noticed the burb size is larger now yet I also noticed that I catch fewer burbs and much fewer small burbs. Call this anecdotal evidence or whatever you want BUT..it is the same pattern observed on several other crashed fisheries.
Do you think just maybe, this is because they get bigger as they get older, and even smarter so you catch less?

Marlin07
12-23-2009, 05:14 PM
OK, This is my last 2 cents here. I have fished pcr for 4 years now on a regular basis. I have seen a many many fold increase in the usage(winter only...in summer i haunt other waters). I have noticed the burb size is larger now yet I also noticed that I catch fewer burbs and much fewer small burbs. Call this anecdotal evidence or whatever you want BUT..it is the same pattern observed on several other crashed fisheries. I know in this forum we are mostly preaching to the converted but I think we are concerned about the future of this fishery. We dont need scientific evidence to act in a moral and ethical way(Im pretty sure the earth is flat yet have never read read a peer reviewed journal article stating such).

The Bow river gets hammered with fisherman....but most are cnr hence a stable trophy quality fishery has survived for decades now.

It at one point was legal to shoot wolves on site in Yellowstone..ethical?? Moral??? I dont think so. After the first 1000 were killed Im sure the population was in no threat....the end result ZERO wolves left in yellowstone.

So you can try and slag me for anecdotal evidence but im just trying to save the fishery for me, you, and everybody.

Sorry I think I digressed.

On a side note....thanks for the idiot at pcr who filleted(more like butchered up) and left a pile of burbs on the ice....just to let you know that you missed 80% of the meat....my 8 year old daughter was disgusted with you.

Good on you to bring up the wolves, where can we donate to your cause?

huntsfurfish
12-25-2009, 09:56 AM
"well, from a "legal" point of view, if I ate every fish I caught the day I caught it, I could have kept, legally of course, 3650 burbot this year. I ate 2, guess that means I should have let them go too? but then as everyone who has met me probably knows, Im not most people "

Also in an earlier post I said there is nothing wrong with keeping a couple to eat. Never said you were "most people"
Burbot are not getting any smarter cause your still catching em:evilgrin::lol:

DarkAisling You have a lot of experience fishing throughout Alberta? While there are many that practice catch and release there are those that will keep their limit any time they can-think about it.:)

A person still thinks of themselves as a catch and release fisherman if they catch 120 fish per day but only kept their limit:evilgrin::)