PDA

View Full Version : Fish trip of a lifetime

Mudder Man
07-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Just very excited here guys & girls to say the least. I am Offshore working in Mozambique right now in the Indian Ocean. The waters are virtually untouched as far as fishing goes. When i flew out here on the Helicopter the reef that runs along the coast ran out for miles. I have a friend that lives here in Mozambique and he loves to fish. So the invite is for me to join him and his friends for a once in a Lifetime fishing trip. I have been looking at what there is too catch here and the sky is the limit. I hope if this trip does work out that i will be able to share some very exciteing pictures.

Sorry if this is a boreing post i just wanted to share my excitement with you. Oh i just bought a Treebark camera before i left and i am very pumped about getting that set up as soon as i get home also.

Cant wait for September 17th to roll around either.

Mudder

sheephunter
07-24-2007, 08:56 AM
So what are the major species that you can catch? It does sound like the trip of a lifetime for sure. Hope it works out for you.

ULTRAlite
07-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Sorry if this is a boring post, I just wanted to share my excitement with you.

Hardly Dude - I'm green with envy :D

Take lots of pics and post em up.

UL

gunslinger
07-25-2007, 07:32 AM
mudder what rig you sitting on over there. man when i was in mexico the mexicans took me fishing in the rio grande one day and i had no idea what i was gonna catch ,, ended up with about a 7 foot black snake, i thoguht i had the mother load when i pulled that thing in, but your right the sky is the limit when you go to the unknown waters, cant wait to see some pictures.

Rockymtnx
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Make sure to post pics of the fishing. Even for something different post some pics from the rig.

Cam-hunter
07-25-2007, 04:13 PM
You should be excited we are all excited for you as well,jealous as hell lol:wave:

Good luck and looking forward to the pictures

Cam

Mudder Man
07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Good morning Guys

Just to let you know Gunslinger i am on the Energy Searcher which is a Drill Ship. I saw some pics of the fish they were catching here off the Rig in the past few months. Man talk about some big Red Snapper. Too bad they shut the fishing doen here at the Rig just before i got here due to safety reasons. Seeing Whales crusin past the rig and i didnt see just the other day but the guys saw a Great White the said. Guess there will be no taking a dip in the Pool around here....lol.

Sheep Hunter i saw a site that said of several different species of fish that are great to catch around here but the one that stood out most in my mind is the Sail Fish. I guess they do get into some big ones here at this time of the year. I would image there will be plenty of everything as my buddy says they always catch plenty of fish. Sure hope we dont get into any Snakes like Gunslinger did though. Man i hate Snakes......give me a Grizzly Bear and knife before a Snake anyday.....hahaha.

Cheers

Mudder

-NDN-
07-26-2007, 04:23 AM
sounds like an exciting job. Work and holidays all in one:)

Mudder Man
07-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes NDN it isnt too bad at all. I guess 30 yrs in the Oil Biz has its benefits. They openned up Fishing here on the rig last night and man they caught some huge Red Snapper. The largest was around 10 Kilo's. I have pics on my Camera but no where to download them here that i have found yet. I will post some if they turned out any good when i get back to Canada.

Mudder

TreeGuy
07-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Hey MM, I can't wait for your pics. Have a great turn in and be safe man! Maybe a dumb question, but are there any mordern day pirates roaming those waters? I've heard some pretty wild stories from that part of the world! If so, maybe a nice AR should be packed along.:innocent:

Tree

Mudder Man
07-30-2007, 02:33 AM
So what are the major species that you can catch? It does sound like the trip of a lifetime for sure. Hope it works out for you.

Hey Sheep Hunter i did find this online today about the types of fish that we catch here in Moz.

The Mozambique coastline is renowned for its game fishing and boats can be chartered from the various resorts. The pristine waters abound with dorado, bonito, king mackerel, yellow fin tuna, sailfish and kingfish.

Mudder

Mudder Man
07-31-2007, 12:08 AM
Here are a few pics from Fishing off of the Drill Ship in Mozambique. The 1st one is a Pilot Fish, they are the ones that hang onto Sharks. The boys showed me how they attach to anything and put him against the wall and bam there he was hanging on.

The 2nd Pic is of me holding a Red Snapper (also called Red Ambassador here) that Abdulla caught, i am saying around 12 to 14 lbs.

The 3rd pic is Abdulla holding another Red Snapper he had caught, est around 22 to 24 lbs.

The 4th & 5th are the total of Snapper caught that evening.

The 6th is for those that understand Drilling Rigs. She's a good sized rig rated for 25,000 feet. The Drill Ship itself is 190 meters long.

Hope to get some better pics when i get to shore and head off fishing for a week.

Mudder in Moz

TBark
07-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Wow,
Beautiful Mm.
Could feed the hole crew on those filletts.]

TBark

Mudder Man
07-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Wow,
Beautiful Mm.
Could feed the hole crew on those filletts.]

TBark

TBark just let you kow it did exactly that. No sure how many of the 109 guys on board ate some but i pigged right out on it. Some of the best tasteing fish i have ever eaten to say the least.

Mudder

bowfin
07-31-2007, 12:17 PM
mudder man

whats your position on the rig either your the mud man or derrickhand or driller. I work the rigs also but nothing like the rig your on how deep are ya drilling and how long to a hole. and with fish like that right below you how do you get any work done lol. be safe and keep the pics comming they are nice to see

Mudder Man
07-31-2007, 09:43 PM
Bowfin

They have been on this well for around 3 months now. Looks like they are trying to get to 4600 meters but things arent going that way very fast out here. It is a Exploratory well so lots to learn about the area and the problems being encountered. I am just here for a one time hitch of 28 days. My position out here is a Directional Drilling Consultant. I used to be a Driller and was a Rig Manager(Tool Pusher) myself back earlier in my Oilfield career. Directional drilling has opened up a wealth of opportunities for Travel and experience. My first time overseas and as well working Offshore was in 1994 when i was sent to Australia to drill Horizontal wells. Now that was interesting to say the least. Hmmmm - was very good therapy for a Canadian guy going through a Divorce. The Ladies there really love the accent.....:)

PS: The guys i Hunt with call me Mudder Man because of my Truck ( Old Mudder) gets through mud very good. I am not a Mud Man in the Oil Business.

Mudder

Mudder Man
08-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey people here is a Grouper caught yesterday off the Rig. My guess was he was about 30 pounds. Tasted mighty fine i must say.

Oh ya this isnt my catch but nobody else wants to hold the fish for a Picture so i guess i have to.
Yes that is its Bladder protruding from its mouth also.

Mudder still on the Rig

-NDN-
08-02-2007, 11:59 AM
nice pictures Mudder. You always see how small those Pilot Fish look against some of the sharks they attach to. make you wonder how big those sharks are down there. I know they get pretty big. You guys see any sharks while fishing lately?

Mudder Man
08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Hey NDN

Is this what you wanted to see? Actually these Sharks are only around 2 1/2 to 3 feet long. The guys pulled the up right off of bottom here in 100 meters of water. Nobody has seen the Great White back that i have heard. There have been many Whales (not sure if there Humpies or not) going past the Rig/Ship the last 3 days as well.

Mudder

-NDN-
08-02-2007, 01:23 PM
arent those white tip reef sharks? yeah pretty tiny. so what do you guys do with the sharks?? pretty good to eat?

Sage
08-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Nice pictures Mudder Man do you dare eat the sharks you catch? Wonder what they would taste like? :scared:

RandyBoBandy
08-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Nice pictures Mudder Man do you dare eat the sharks you catch? Wonder what they would taste like? :scared:
they taste like snorkels and flippers

-NDN-
08-03-2007, 04:05 AM
LOL !!:lol:

hey Mudder, i just watched a shark attack special yesterday before work, and according to the video, if you fall off the rig, and that great white you heard about comes around, bites your leg off and swims away, he was just testing to see what you are:D