PDA

View Full Version : walleye rod set up

kinwahkly
12-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey, never ice fished for walleye before,could someone give me some info on what kind of line to use? ie got 8 lbs ice line on now on a medium action ice rod with a decent reel, i was going to use jigs and smelts, d i need a steel leader? or do i TIE THE LINE DIRECT TO THE JIG? Thanks in advance.

AL

DarkAisling
12-19-2009, 07:21 PM
I'd use a swivel, but I wouldn't worry about a leader.

npauls
12-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Your set up should be pretty good for walleye fishing. Like dark said just tie a swivel in there and then an 18-24 inch flourocarbon or mono leader and then your jig head.

Nate

Walleyes
12-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Yup keep the leader off. Walleye especially winter walleye are very finicky keep it as stealth as possible. I personally don't even use a swivel to much jewelry.. Keep it simple.

8lb test is enough line as long as you keep the drag set lite but not to light you have to set the hook. As well you need a good medium action rod any of those light trout rods and they are to light to get a good hook set and to heavy a rod and it takes the fight out of them It really is hard to find a good walleye ice rod. I have one that I really like and a half dozen more that are just not suited for walleye. I keep my eye open and grab a good one when I can. Get a good quality reel those $20.00 C.T. combo's just don't cut it,, oh they are good for those gay trout but not for a real fish they require something good..