PDA

View Full Version : weird baits for Pike or Burbs

bunnyhunter
12-20-2009, 06:10 PM
ok you can tell I am stir crazy.....

has anyone tried a dead mouse as bait? ( keep catching the darn things in my garage)

liver....of deer or chicken?

My mom swears by beef heart cut into a worm shape.

we used to use chicken drums in BC to catch shrimp.

not talking about gummi bears, marshmallows or corn. something , um natural:o

was thinking Pike or burbot might go for em? lol any thoughts :lol:

?:ashamed::cool:
J

struik9913
12-20-2009, 06:12 PM
im sure they would devour anything on that list of yours!

WayneChristie
12-20-2009, 06:14 PM
left a mouse on my porch I was going to try, but the damn foxes stole it :) I will have to catch another one and see, Im sure the pike will eat them no problem. Always wondered how a garter snake would work , but Im pretty sure thats a no no

enzo
12-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I would suggest using a live mouse, better presentation and carry less diseases.

bunnyhunter
12-20-2009, 06:36 PM
I would suggest using a live mouse, better presentation and carry less diseases.

hmmm so you going to give it an O2 tank and diving suit lol?

live carry MORE disease, as they can BITE..:lol: kiddin

but seriously< i am into re-use and re-cycle......so why not the mouse!

I bring it up as I will never forget the time My dad caught a 3 pound trout and found a mouse in its belly!!

happy holidays

lol:wave:

pikester
12-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Not sure how wierd this is but never seen anyone else use it- bacon. Not bacon bits, not chunks- whole slices, the fattier & whiter the better! My buddy used to laugh at me until he saw the 8lb walleye & 17lb pike I caught using it. Doesn't outfish smelts all the time but often enough to keep me using it. Plus if the fishing is slow you can fry up the strips for a snack:D

Cal
12-20-2009, 10:52 PM
I would run out of bait so fast:lol:

Rigg dogg
12-21-2009, 01:47 AM
My buddy swears by Moose Heart when ice fishing for Walleye.
He has out fished me on days when I was using minnows.

Seen him catch a big Azz Pike on a flattened out Labatts Blue beer can on Athabasca river one time. I know who drinks Labatts Blue :ashamed::ashamed:
They were hitting everything and anything on that trip. The mosquitos were biting everything as well.

Castincowboy
12-21-2009, 01:58 AM
I bring it up as I will never forget the time My dad caught a 3 pound trout and found a mouse in its belly!!

Exactly same thing happened to us. Darn thing hit a big Rapala when it's belly was crammed full of mouse...

Fishfinder
12-21-2009, 04:41 AM
Hmm, interesting stuff. I always assume Pike will eat anything if prepared properly, as they love to hunt and aint too picky when it comes to eatin? Time of day and water depth seems to matter most when I look for them. As for the burb....couldn't tell ya, only caught 4 or 5 in my life, using live worms off the bottom.Cheers:)

jjstar
12-21-2009, 06:22 AM
I think a live mouse in a nice warm shallow bay in spring would be dynamite! That is when I have the most fun catching them on top water hooks. Plus I watched a large pike go through a group of ducklings eating 4-5 out of 8 in a couple minutes. But I think putting them on the hook may be a tad bit illegal.

oagie
12-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Granddad used to used a piece of deer heart on a single treble hook. His tip up consisted of a couple trimmed up hockey sticks, screwed together in the middle like a cross, with the line wrapped around the middle. When a pike was on, it would pull one end into the hole and the other side was in the air...

I miss fishing with that goofy old bugger. We had lots of laughs.

omega50
12-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Lol Top secret Burbs bait-I like tuna! I like liver!I like ---- --- Please deliver

omega50
12-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Used all my extra dead mice from the acreage shooting them out of my 50 cal

Fishfinder
12-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Used all my extra dead mice from the acreage shooting them out of my 50 cal

:lol::lol: Wish I was a fisherman back when I was a beekeeper. Used to find tons of mice nesting under the hives. The boss made us stomp them on sight! :( What a waste of bait...

jts1
12-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Pike on hot dogs. Have heard about it , Last year seen it on clear. not just one guy but many were using them. 19lbs was the biggest

2big4u
12-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Pike on hot dogs. Have heard about it , Last year seen it on clear. not just one guy but many were using them. 19lbs was the biggest

19 pounds!! That is a HUGE hotdog!!:lol:
I have heard about that too.

deg72
12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
used to catch burbot on a red devil with a chunk of moosemeat on the hook, and lots of pike to

MuleyMonster
12-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Deer meat works good as well. Had an old roast in the freezer that I missed for a couple of years. Took it out and cut off the freezer burnt stuff and cut into long strips. Worked great for the pike plus got a little hungry and fried up a strip. Didn't kill me but I am sure it made my stomach stonger:lol:

Badback
12-21-2009, 09:50 PM

As a young lad I used hot dogs for bait for pike and perch...The good thing about dogs, cheap (back in the 70's), you didn't need a knife to cut them, they stayed on the hook for a long time and when your hungery you can eat them...

fish-man
12-22-2009, 07:08 PM
I've caught pike on beef and chicken, though honestly the fishing was slower than when using minnows and smelts.

pecker
12-22-2009, 09:50 PM
My buddy swears by Moose Heart when ice fishing for Walleye.
He has out fished me on days when I was using minnows.

Seen him catch a big Azz Pike on a flattened out Labatts Blue beer can on Athabasca river one time. I know who drinks Labatts Blue :ashamed::ashamed:
They were hitting everything and anything on that trip. The mosquitos were biting everything as well.

oh yae got to invest another couple grand into moose hunting to catch me a jack. :rolleyes::):wave: