PDA

View Full Version : footing on ice ?

kinwahkly
12-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Hello, any recomendations on foot wear for the ice, I do have a really good pair of Sorrells but when there is no snow on the ice very slippery.
Thanks

wadeseward
12-21-2009, 08:11 AM
I went to the hardware store and got hex head sheet metal screws that wouldn't poke through the bottom of my boot and put a bunch in the sole of my boots, they are great on ice and can be taken out and you barely tell they were there. Just don't wear them on your kitchen floor.

DarkAisling
12-21-2009, 08:28 AM
I'll be picking up a pair of these (or similar) for ice fishing:
http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=1&p=58247&cat=4,53221&ap=6

The hard part will be deciding what boots to get them for: my big ol' Sorels or my more moderately sized North Face boots.

CoyoteChallenger
12-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Put staples in mine, worked alright. Easy to remove later. Good luck Fishing!!

mooseknuckle
12-21-2009, 09:52 AM
I went to the hardware store and got hex head sheet metal screws that wouldn't poke through the bottom of my boot and put a bunch in the sole of my boots, they are great on ice and can be taken out and you barely tell they were there. Just don't wear them on your kitchen floor.

Ding Ding I think this is the way to go. My old man used to deliver drugs fro a pharmacy back in the 60's he did the same thing with the tires on his motor bike drove all year round.

WayneChristie
12-21-2009, 06:31 PM
I picked up a pair of pull on cleats at crappy tire for around 9 bucks, they work great and you just pull them off when you are done, they stretch around your boots. used them 5 times already and no complaints

Shmag
12-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I picked up a pair of pull on cleats at crappy tire for around 9 bucks, they work great and you just pull them off when you are done, they stretch around your boots. used them 5 times already and no complaints

X2...thats the way to go

WayneChristie
12-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I'll be picking up a pair of these (or similar) for ice fishing:
http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=1&p=58247&cat=4,53221&ap=6

The hard part will be deciding what boots to get them for: my big ol' Sorels or my more moderately sized North Face boots.

depends on what you use to heat the tent, if its going to be really warm you dont want your feet to be sweating, because they will get cold. I also learned this weekend, after driving about 2 hours to PCR that I should be wearing some lighter footwear on the drive, so that my socks and boot liners dont get sweaty by the time I make it to the ice. Or go barefoot til I hit the lake :D

Jimboy
12-22-2009, 06:32 AM
depends on what you use to heat the tent, if its going to be really warm you dont want your feet to be sweating, because they will get cold. I also learned this weekend, after driving about 2 hours to PCR that I should be wearing some lighter footwear on the drive, so that my socks and boot liners dont get sweaty by the time I make it to the ice. Or go barefoot til I hit the lake :D

spiked golf shoes , fore eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

DarkAisling
12-22-2009, 08:21 AM
depends on what you use to heat the tent, if its going to be really warm you dont want your feet to be sweating, because they will get cold.

Very good point.

spiked golf shoes , fore eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I just got rid of my golf shoes . . . but they would have worked really well.

*doh*

calgarygringo
12-22-2009, 08:34 AM
I second Waynes idea. Bought from Crappy tire several years ago and still put them on on the ice. Even use them around the house when things are icy and taking the dogs for a walk. Relatively inexpensive and may save a bad injury if you do a big wipeout. Only time I don't wear them is if there is lots of snow on the ice as it has no effect. Pay a couple of bucks and do your body a favor.

MAC
12-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Used these last year . They worked very well. If you pick some up buy the largest size. The package advertizes one size fits all. It does not. They make 3 sizes. The large fit my 10 year olds snow boot. Xtra large fit my boots well.
I was at the fishing hole 2 days ago and they had stock

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3838878&enlargeSkuz=22672&GOZ=91&D=07&FILTERBYPRICE=AND retailPrice is not null&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&ALL=ALL&PAGEAT=7&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=&FILTERBYCLASS=&GETPRODUCTSBYDEPTG=07

CountryRoadz
12-22-2009, 10:06 AM
The best footwear in my opinion when on ice would be the Bauer Vapor X60 Skate. Two of them of course. They work great for getting to those far away holes when your tip up goes flying and you're fishing more holes than Cheatah Woods. :lol:

I use Roper Brand Boots but havent been on sheer ice.

Good Luck and to all a Wonderful XMAS and all the Best in 2010 :wave:

WayneChristie
12-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Used these last year . They worked very well. If you pick some up buy the largest size. The package advertizes one size fits all. It does not. They make 3 sizes. The large fit my 10 year olds snow boot. Xtra large fit my boots well.
I was at the fishing hole 2 days ago and they had stock

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3838878&enlargeSkuz=22672&GOZ=91&D=07&FILTERBYPRICE=AND retailPrice is not null&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&ALL=ALL&PAGEAT=7&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=&FILTERBYCLASS=&GETPRODUCTSBYDEPTG=07

thats the exact ones I have, just dont step on your tent when you are setting it up, now I have a little hole to fix :mad3:

Drano
12-23-2009, 04:49 PM

X2 works great...:wave::wave:

OutwardBound
12-23-2009, 05:02 PM
I use the slip on cleats as well. They are the YAKTRAX brand. They work well good rubber on them.

Dustin

Drewski Canuck
12-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Rubber slip on ice cleats were on sale last week for $4.98. Picked up a couple of pair. Give them a look.

Drewski