PDA

View Full Version : Bone Fishing in Cuba???

jacobin
12-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I got a last minute deal down in Cuba and plan on doing some fly fishing for bone fish while I am down there, however, I have never done this before and would like to know if there are a few things that I should key in on to increase my chances.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion and Merry Christmas:wave:

Sir Landsalot
12-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I would highly recommend that you consider hiring a guide for your initial outing at least. The information you can learn from doing so will help your success rate exponentially even if you decide to go it alone after that.
Though I've never been to or fished in Cuba myself, I would also recommend that you plan to bring everything with you in the way of flies and gear that will need to fish once you arrive. Like most things in Cuba, I suspect it might be difficult to locate much in the way of fly gear.
Have fun, and let us know how you make out!:)

cutthroat666
12-21-2009, 11:45 AM
If you plan to have any success you need to look into being guided on the south side of the island. Look into Cayo Coco and also do a search online for "Avalon".

If you want to talk to someone that knows Cuba bonefishing inside and out speak with Dave or Nancy - the owners of Fish Tales Fly Shop in Calgary.

BorntoFish
12-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Where are you going and staying. We are going there next week and are definately going to try some fishing. Will probably only be using some spin gear. We are staying at Melia Las Dunas on Cayo Santa Maria. Supposed to be great fishing from shore there.

waterfowler
12-22-2009, 12:43 PM
small size 4-8 gotchas, bonefish bitters, crazy charlies, merkin crabs, small clousers 6-8wt rod floating line and a large arbour reel with lots of backing.
Talk to Mike Gifford at country pleasures he usually goes and fishes down there two or three times a year.

jacobin
12-23-2009, 09:42 AM
We are staying at the Breezes Jibacao. About half-way between Havana and Varedaro. From satilette pics looks like so nice reefs, but I guess I will see.
Thanks for the info. everyone, I will take pics if I get lucky.
Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

oagie
12-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Don't know much about Bonefishing down there. I was in Varedaro last year for our 10th year anniversary.

My only advice for Cuba is:

Don't take a laptop, it will be confiscated...
Bring spices, Cuban's have very bland food.

Enjoy your trip.